The Sunday Brunch Gazette.

[Image: SBG-7-11-21-1.jpg]

Ref: https://twitter.com/pain_net1/status/117...5512137728https://www.australianflying.com.au/news...r-aviationUtopia - From underneath the Can'tberra pleasure dome

A day in the Dumpster.

"its a big job" says P2; "I'll need a hand" - an invitation from our inveterate digger and, caught flat-footed - I had no valid excuse to avoid joining in. Two large piles of paperwork landed with a thud on my workbench, I made us coffee and the unspoken question was answered. "No way am I sorting 'that' out", (a raised chin indicates a large tome). It did look ominous and being acutely allergic to large lumps of paper, I tried to weasel out - alas. And so we began - now, 648 pages hardly gets the missive into the Guinness book of records - even so, it is a long, tedious read. So I 'cherry picked' and skimmed my way through the offering from Infrastructure Australia. I thought the 'executive summary' may provide a shortcut - I started off honestly enough, but not many pages into the available 37 pages, I gave in and looked up at a smiling P2, "Wanna bucket"? Happily, experience had saved me need of 'the bucket' but it was a close run thing. We tried to estimate the cost of producing 648 pages of 'waffle' and failed. We tried to discern the purpose of the document and failed. We tried to determine the value of the thing and failed. The only valid reasons for its existence were to keep a lot of people employed and to provide a platform for politicians 'on the make' to gouge funds for 'projects' listed; Infrastructure recommends it - see HERE - so cough up the project money to assist with my re election chances. A long shopping list of options indeed. I carefully placed it in the workshop stove, to be burned with the rubble of the next clean up. A classic tax payer funded WOFTAM.

“Sanctions make a substantial contribution to power based on privation, and they have never hurt a single despot in the whole history of their use.” (Roger Scruton)

Item next was the entire collected works of Glen Buckley, another large pile. "Nope, not today" says I - it can go into storage. At the back of the stable, I've used a timber rack to store the files related to CASA enforced 'shutdown' of legitimate operations; it is a large collection. P2 and I hauled the Buckley pile to the rack. "Whoa" says he; "are they all to do with 'acts of embuggerance'"? I nodded; "they are indeed". I've saved them against the day when CASA get honest; or a serious investigation into the abominable behaviour demonstrated by the CASA, both in 'fostering' some operations and decimating others. There are many 'common' threads and tactics identified, but, in short, it is a history of there being one judge, one jury and one executioner: metering out the ways and means for the removal of those who fall foul of system. The 'rule of law' having no seat at that table. Aye, perhaps, one day - maybe...

“The alternate domination of one faction over another, sharpened by the spirit of revenge, natural to party dissension, which in different ages and countries has perpetrated the most horrid enormities, is itself a frightful despotism. ― George Washington, George Washington's Farewell Address

I note that the French are being mentioned in the news (last time I bothered to listen). Contracts for submarines being cancelled - which of course brought other botched contracts to mind - our very own big pie, wet dream of a world class air traffic control system. That particular song ain't been played for a long while now in the hallowed halls of Senate Estimates. Despite industry being told to fit equipment, at great expense, to meet the needs of our expected space age system; and avoid mid-air collision - Halfwit's grand scheme along with gentile inquiry into 'consultant fees' seems to have dropped off the Senate radar. Now, when I wonder why, the notion of cancellation seems to be a bloody good idea - well that or rapid delivery and an improvement in air traffic system - so we can avoid another Mangalore event.

[Image: pexels-matheus-bertelli-2868217_7_6100c40208591-1.jpg]

I seem to have ambled far from my intended course; that of exploring 'the great waste'. The endless streams of money flowing into CASA which have failed to produce anything of operational value or safety improvement. The natural comparison model would be AMSA, who, despite having much more to cope with, seem to manage the complex business of 'shipping' to and from this island without huge budgets, or thirty years of rule writing to achieve nothing but a buggers muddle and seem (on the surface at least) to operate without pissing off an entire industry, to the point of decimation. Perhaps the CASA board could, under ministerial directive, reform the CASA structure to resemble the AMSA system - which appears sane, sensible, sanguine and reasonably democratic. Not a bad model - probably save a shed load of public money to boot.

[Image: sbg-3.jpg]

Dr A - Judge, Executioner and ICAO obfuscator??

“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom. But the tumult soon subsides. Time makes more converts than reason.” ― Thomas Paine, Common Sense

Aye well; best crack on - there's a rather lovely old occasional table parked on a blanket patiently awaiting repair. Some oaf decided to sit on the thing - didn't quite break it, but the damage was done. A testament to the skill of the man who made it; Oh it was a man - indeed, 'twas the lady owners grandfather. Now I must patiently undo some of his good work, match the fine grain wood, and make a repair of equal quality - or try at least. Can't wait to get started; all the essentials are assembled, fresh air through the doors, sunlight to assist, birdsong from a crew of juvenile Magpies who seem to have taken up residence - tools are sharp, the bench clear - hell I even swept the floor.

Selah.-.

High 25°C - Low 14°C.

With your indulgence M'lud, I shall construe. I ask that the following report from the ATSB - HERE - be carefully read and considered before we redirect our questions to the defendants.

There now, all done, then I shall begin: there are four entrants in the race to oblivion; Inexperienced Lad; Electronic Addiction; Overconfidence and Regulatory body; all short odds entrants to run a place. In primus, it must be said that the ATSB report was, when compared to other shoddy work, a breath of fresh air and not too shabby an effort; this despite being distracted by analysis of 'electronics' to make sense of a series of events. It was a base which needed to be covered; however. At Bankstown, on the day of departure there was, freely and unstintingly available two essential pre departure considerations - to wit, the ATIS and the humble ARFOR. Both, pre the electronic wizardry, the source of pre flight knowledge for aircrew. The average November temperatures at Bankstown are high 25/ low 14. Take the mean of those and arrive at 19.5 °C. Basic (very) meteorology allows a 2°C temperature drop off per 1000 feet (give or take). So, elementary mental arithmetic would place the freezing level at approximately 10,000 feet (+/- ish). So from the humble ARFOR the next basic questions may be asked - what is the freezing level and what cloud may be expected on the climb to altitude and what type of cloud is it? Automatic precursor to any IFR flight usually 'nutted out' on the drive to the aerodrome. The ARFOR gives you that - on your phone, free of charge, long before pre flight inspection.

So much for the basics; now we must delve into the murky world of psychology; in short, what the Hell was this guy using to think with? This aircraft is NOT certified or equipped to operate in 'known icing' (advertised) conditions. This pilot had less than 500 hours total aeronautical experience. I ask you, can you imagine any operator allowing a 500 hour sprog to operate a pressurised, turbine aircraft? And yet the pilot was somehow convinced that the electronics, the GPS and the auto pilot could cover the deficiencies illuminated, so manifestly identifiable in the ATSB report; for example:-

"Additionally, the pilot stated that the forecast icing was ‘...more of a heads up than anything else’ and that ‘...you adjust accordingly as per the conditions when you’re there’, indicating an interpretation of just needing to be aware of potential icing when in cloud at a particular flight level. The pilot also interpreted the likelihood of encountering the forecast icing conditions as more probable than not but expected that an AIRMET or SIGMET for icing would be issued if those conditions were highly probable. The pilot reported having used the Windy31 program to view cloud top information before the flight, recalling that the cloud tops were at FL 140, and hence expected to be above clouds at the planned cruise altitude of FL 180."

So, very comfortable with the notion of ploughing through 4000 feet of cloud, to reach the tops ice free and toddle off at F180 without a care in the world - bollocks. Freezing level below cloud tops - moisture present - no Prist additive - no de-ice boots and some kind of weird notion that more ice than than required in a Bundy and Coke was just another day at the office in his 400 hours of experience. Read this and weep for cupidity, stupidity and arrogant reliance on 'technology' of the 'free' kind.

"The pilot reported that the decision to descend was mainly based on the passenger’s concern about the observed ice build-up. They further advised being familiar with the performance of the P210N airframe with ice accumulation from previous icing encounters that had not caused any operational problems. The pilot also stated that some of those encounters involved more severe icing than this occurrence, and that other P210N owners/pilots had reported that the aircraft could carry a substantial amount of ice without any problem."

Unbelievable - but then, consider the unholy mess made of the forced landing. Quite right M'lud I wasn't there - but then Sir, I submit that I would never have been in that position in the first place - not even when I was but an aeronautical child; my mentors would have seen to that. 

There, rant nearly over except for one small, nagging, ever present skeleton at the feast. Despite the multi million dollar suite of regulation, we still have 'weather related' accident. Why does CASA not spend some of it's millions and hire some real experts to hold workshops for pilots - talking about real weather management and survival, of flight manual interpretation, of aircraft performance in the real world? This instead of just sitting back and taking the money and 'legally' supportable pot-shots at those who breach their black letter law, a.k,a the Gibberish regulations. For 'safet's' sake - of course....The hard, 'bold print' laws have never, not since the Wright brothers ever changed, not one solitary jot.

"Captain A. G. Lamplugh, a British pilot from the early days of aviation once famously said “Aviation in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.” Space flight is less forgiving still."

Yes, yes; a ramble to be sure (to be sure) but count the straws children, a heavy load indeed.

Just a couple of points left to ruminate over - AOPA's latest broadcast; until Morgan learns that a fellah like Mackenzie has forgotten more than he'll ever know and let him lead the audience to a natural conclusion. AOPA are under performing and loosing potential supporters. Enough said. - Item last - seems Hitch has finally grasped the big problem and even dared to weigh in (a little) on the side of industry knowing more about what they do than CASA does. A worm turning? I wonder. Time will tell.

That is it; Oh, there's a lot more, but until we see a real change within CASA and runs on the scoreboard; I, for one ain't going to be expecting intelligence, honesty, transparency or even a genuine internal will for CASA to be more than they are. They have a huge PR problem; and, until the faith and trust they have wilfully destroyed, not only at home, but abroad is properly restored, they will remain, despite soft, fluffy, snivelling letters from the DAS, remain an international pariah. Unheeded, and held in international contempt. The worlds leading aviation bodies won't say this, not openly - but, Oh boy, do they think it.

Aye well; its not what one could describe as 'cold' here and it is raining; always welcome in Australia, even when it floods the place; but the land knows what to do with the water and uses it well - has done for millennia. I very carefully unpicked the joints on that lovely old table, the quality of the joints almost precluded repair without damage; and, the fellahin who made it had built in his own 'wrinkles' to preclude the chance of separation. I did manage to unbutton one and, despite a couple of (badly) failed attempts to make a similar joint eventually managed to replicate his artistry; even managed to match the timber (man on a galloping horse wouldn't spot the difference). It would be a fine thing to have an Ale or two with the maker of this table;  now that is a thing I would enjoy. No matter, the cat has elected to stay in the stable; the dogs are just waiting for the word; and so, once again, hat and jacket required.

“Then the storm broke, and the dragons danced.”

Selah.-.

[Image: SBG-21-11-21.jpg]
Ref: https://www.crikey.com.au/2014/12/05/pel...o-to-whoa/https://australianaviation.com.au/2014/1...d-of-2014/Dots-n-dashes on the tick-a-box NASF implementation

Deception; just magicians art?

"The magician and the politician have much in common: they both have to draw our attention away from what they are really doing." — Ben Okri

This is now the time of the year where the wide brown land prepares to enter the month of the dead. In just a few short weeks, it will be mid December and the country grinds to a shuddering halt until the end of January. During these six weeks memory of worthy submissions and cleverly constructed responses to serious questions will quietly disappear into a 'black hole' - all momentum arrested, never to escape. Good timing is a prerequisite; just early enough to seem to matter, just long enough to be put aside until later and just late enough to be lost and forgotten by January's end. An art form, timing perfected by the magical mandarins.

[Image: DmFkCEYVsAEYmMS.jpg]

“Timing is everything. Therefore, you must discern when to make the most of each opportunity...” ― Joy Marino

For example - under ICAO annex 19 a national Aviation State Safety System (SSP) is required. The release of the Australian version has been beautifully timed and artfully framed in such a way as to produce instant ennui. The document's first word is 'safety' - a word which defies quantification or even 'hard' definition; and so begins the fantasy; the boxes ticked and all can shuffle off to a well earned six week break.

[Image: 0afafb0542050b5dc85979d021b22095.jpg]
Ref: Questions – and answers – matter over the Leppington Triangle & Bureaucrats may have tried to cover up Leppington Triangle

“Right time, right place, right people equals success. ― Idries Shah, Reflections

Now, you could be forgiven for thinking that a document of such import would carry the signature of the responsible minister and that a busy man would have at least given it a cursory 'once over': Alas. The SSP, despite the spirit and intent of ICAO is left to the tender mercies of those not elected to serve the best interests of this nation. The contempt for ICAO clearly defined in every paragraph, fully supported by a record number of registered differences. This, stand alone clearly defines an unsupportable arrogance. An arrogance which is clearly demonstrated through the regulations and those charged with the administration of 'matters aeronautical'. That this has become an international standing joke and makes a mockery of Australia seems not to matter. That the entire system has almost eradicated a once thriving, proud section of industry seems to be of so little concern that the minister responsible  believes that such an important document may be left in the hands of those responsible for the demise and great waste of an essential business sector almost beggars belief; and yet, there it is, all publicly available. Hidden in plain sight.

[Image: sbg1.jpg]
Ref: https://anthonyalbanese.com.au/master-pl...-airport-2 & https://australiafirstparty.net/essendon...ding-area/ & https://www.casa.gov.au/file/476/downloa...n=5-IyBukZ

“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Boscombe Valley Mystery - a Sherlock Holmes Short Story

This may all seem a little esoteric to some; "hard fact" they call. No problem: if you are on an airport, take a look out of the hanger door and tell me what you see. It will be one of two possible vistas. An empty, silent wasteland; or a nightmare vision of destroyed infrastructure and large, ugly buildings erupting into the airspace needed for flight operations. Those buildings are all approved by whom? The answer to that question may surprise; a little homework - HERE - will provide the clues. While you do the research; take note of the care and attention the SSP devotes to the protection of safety zones, approach and departure tracks and, the perils of low level wind shear and vortex generation from large lumps of concrete parked very close to the departure and arrival paths. All very legal, all approved by the same office. Guess who - for a Choc Frog. Check P2's excellent research for some serious help; all there...

Wiki - "A black hole is a region of spacetime where gravity is so strong that nothing — no particles or even electromagnetic radiation such as light — can escape from it. The theory of general relativity predicts that a sufficiently compact mass can deform spacetime to form a black hole."

Aye, grim thoughts indeed; but, IMO there is hope. B. Joyce Esq. has some very able, noteworthy assistance, there are signs that change may be in the wind, a gentle breeze wafting slim (anorexic) hopes to a long suffering industry. Time however in not on industry's side; on the plus side industry in not seeking massive amounts of money to recover; only a sensible rule set, a serious change from the overbearing, hellishly expensive, counterproductive, inutile department which glories in the title of 'Safety' Authority. Well, the authoritarian part is correct - but 'safety' - really? How many fatal accidents this year has the CASA regulation this year prevented? Time to put 'm back into their box; administration and compliance with ICAO would save a shed load.

[Image: sbg2.jpg]

Ref: https://anthonyalbanese.com.au/plans-to-...n-future-2

No matter; as those residents of the bubble wind down to the long break, the aircraft will be operating: in all weathers, using industry expertise, talent and money to 'safely' deliver the great unwashed to their holiday destinations; despite the efforts made to build on runways, impinge (legally) on safety buffers and will still manage not to leave a large crater in someone's Christmas shopping outlet. Essendon was the one and only warning Murphy will allow.

Tempus fugit - and, by royal command; my assistance with the 'Bouncing Castle' is requested and required. "Bring the dogs" part of my instructions - they do seem to enjoy these events; probably something to do with illicit lumps of cake from sticky fingers. Only polite to look the other way.

Selah.-.

[Image: reformcasa-1.jpg]

[Image: sbg-28-11-21-2.jpg]
Ref: https://www.australianflying.com.au/late...ted-debatehttps://auntypru.com/dear-barnaby/Mildura (McDonaught Porkbarrel) ILS 6% benefit update?? & Dots-n-dashes on the tick-a-box NASF implementation

Is that a candle in the window?

Or, just a trick of the light, a flicker glimpsed by a road weary traveller, trudging a dusty, dark pathway toward found hope in dawn's clear light? Aye, 'tis a bit whimsical; but, it suits the mood of the BRB. Non dare openly say anything, for fear of having that small hope dashed, once again, against the high, cruel battlements erected by the robber Barons. Well, that is one view; personalty, I like the Monty Python version better, the parallels are so clearly sketched, it is an almost perfect duplication of the situation Australian aviation has landed in. A rag-tag bunch in search of the Holy Grail and the chaps in castle taking the Mickey Bliss; until they get tired of the noise and launch 'the big guns'.  - "fetchez la vache" 

Of course, our 'hero's' never get to meet the owner and master of 'the castle'. His wily guards, safe within, throw everything they have to protect their sinecure and easy life. Therein lays one of the major headaches for industry voices,- actually getting to see 'the man' - the one who, they believe can make all the difference to the desperate crew. But that, boys and girls is a Furphy, ain't it? Or is it. The rest of the Lords have agreed not to interfere in the way the castle guards do their work and a few sacred cows launched here there, to protect the status quo, is a good bargain. Bipartinsane rubber stamp and a blank cheque keep them safe. The current 'Lord' of the aviation bailiwick B. Joyce Esq. is a very busy man and with an election on the horizon and the demands of his party and a hundred other odds and sods to worry about, just ain't got enough hours in the day to deal with 'matters aeronautical'. Here is where the small bright flame of a candle in the gloom shines. He has good some bloody good folk doing the heavy lifting and providing solid advice. There is a turf war raging - but at days end, the minister will have the final word. The right advice will guide those words.  There is also a score to settle - the minister was gazumped (out of spite many say) in the issue of the ministerial Statement of Expectations (SoE) thunder stolen from BJ and hidden away, a a done deal. If nothing else happens before the election, at least that piece of soft white paper may grow some real teeth.

[Image: Who-Cares-800x400-1.jpg]

[Image: sbg-28-11-21.jpg]
Ref: Save Australia's General Aviation from bureaucratic disaster - Sandy Reith

"Patience is bitter, but its fruit is sweet." ― Aristotle

There is another significant pile of paper on the ministerial desk - some of it highly explosive, some volatile and some of it a desperate cry for help. Its all related to the land aerodromes use to conduct their business; or land they used in the past, now buried under large buildings. There are some very questionable tactics being used; like for instance the delayed investigation by the ATSB into how the DFO at Essendon managed to become a real hazard. The answer is very, very simple: - all the ATSB need do is talk to the Airport Building Controller (ABC) they may get some surprising answers from that individual.

[Image: file2JPL0NLF.jpg]

“But what we call our despair is often only the painful eagerness of unfed hope.― George Eliot, Middlemarch

Then there's the industry pre election/ Christmas shopping list to attend to; 'tis but a modest one, not expensive and easily fulfilled. Great delight and popularity could be easily gained by a few tawdry trinkets placed in the industry sock; removal of the ludicrous impositions on Angel Flight; restoration of the Buckley certification and a small settlement for damages would remove a headache or two; and persuading Aleck to spend some time with his remaining marbles would, very nicely, put the icing on the Christmas cake. Easy - one phone call, less than two minutes to become a gold plated legend of industry.

"I am prepared for the worst, but hope for the best. "– Benjamin Disraeli.

P2 Has once again provided some serious reading for those who enjoy 'real' data rather than the desperate small noises made by those who seek relevance by claiming to be 'in-the-loop'. Some of the submissions sent to the never ending McDolittle gab fest have real merit and significance. Well done all. Will it make a tangible difference or end up in the basement to be used later by the castle guards to repel the seekers of a Grail - ? We shall, no doubt see - and soon. The clarion call of 'election' will shortly place the fate of an insignificant industry, not worthy of parliamentary consideration on the back burner. No matter, the tote is open....

[Image: r0_0_3000_1960_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg]

"It lies in the lap of the gods" Homer (c.750 BC) - The Iliad

That's about it; rain rattling hard on the workshop roof, wind howling about the chimney, floor part covered by drying dogs, lazing near the stove. Time for bed methinks - IOS indaba tomorrow, always fun.

Selah.-.

[Image: sbg-5-12-21.jpg]
Ref: CASA promises self-declared medical reform?? - Let's do the timewarp again!! & GA Inquiry witnesses rating - From Gold Star (chocfrog) to WOFTAM??  & https://auntypru.com/wp-content/uploads/...sion-1.pdfhttps://www.youtube.com/user/004wercras/...shelf_id=0 

The worst hand? - 7 and 2 - off suite.

Not too many card games can be won with 7 and 2 'off suite'; not too many at all. Mostly; you would simply fold and lose only the ante - the odds against are roughly equal to surviving a round of Russian roulette; the first time, few turn up for a rematch. Of course, there's always Roulette; but with two zero's on the wheel and a working knowledge of basic mathematics; if the first 'spin' don't lead you to a second; it is definitely time to find a quiet bar and congenial company. "Click" the fool is off on a tangent.

But am I? As the BRB 'Bookie' - my job is to work out the 'odds' - mathematically - of a 'thing' actually winning (fascinating maths). Say Thorny thinks part XYZ of Part 61 has every chance of being 'modified' to reflect operational sanity. Or P2 reckons ABC will happen before the election is called. Then; I must set to work and arrange a 'Tote' board; other BRB and IOS members may bet their Choc Frogs on the outcome.

Bear with me here, an example is needed; Part 119 will suffice equally as well as 61 or even medicals - it makes no differ. Pick your favourite 'Regulation' wait until the cards land and you will see a 7 and a two off suite hand. History is against you, the statistics are, definitely against you: lady luck is in the other room and Murphy is sat next to you. A stacked deck; a confection, a litany of time wasted and foregone conclusion. You cannot; consistently beat a 'dud' hand.  History, boys and girls - history and the facts are a'gin ya. Fact. Take Part 119 as example of how you cannot beat the book. The invitation is made to attend and participate; "consultation" - Ye Gods a chance to 'debate' a regulation - make suggestions - put forward a point of view - perhaps even make CASA hear the call. I will take all your Choc frogs on that one simple bet. You put heart, mind, time, effort and operational expertise; all of it, into a logical argument; spend hours talking, dollars travelling etc. Yet the 'odds' are against you; you have just taken a safety pin to a gun fight. One may rant and rave and be very clever after the event on social media; raise the roof in the Pub; no doubt good for the soul - but will it change the cold hard facts of mathematics or history or the way CASA 'do business? NO; it will not. The short answer is 'fold' - boycott - don't play.

"What, wouldst thou have a serpent sting thee twice? "― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

As both history and fact clearly and unequivocally have defined, on multiple occasions, that CASA have indeed 'consulted' and then gone on their merry way to do exactly as pleased 'em best - having developed 'ways and means' from the very people they allowed to sit at the table to side step any and all objection. This quite apart from having expert opinion gifted for free by the willing chumps who sat down in good faith. Shame on this industry.

[Image: sbg1.jpg]

Ref: https://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/ge...8b8ea1e9b9

"The expression fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me has its origins in the 1600s. The idea is found in a book written by Anthony Weldon in 1651, The Court and Character of King James: “The Italians having a Proverb, 'He that deceives me once, its his fault; but if twice, its my fault."

Then; there is the matter of Ms Pip Spence to consider. I have (for my sins) sat through one BRB and one off IOS this week - (won the darts by the by). The numbers speak louder and better than I ever could produce in mangled prose. In the beginning there was 'mild' surprise at the appointment- however; bet against that was the, now proven, somewhat whimsical belief, that the PM&C and the DoIT had seen the carnage CASA created and put a 'supported wedge' into the mix to bring restraint and sanity back to aviation management and regulation. I took bets on it being fact. Once again, the 'Bookie' cleaned up. It was never going to happen. Spence is, and will remain, nothing more than a 'stop-gap' - a circuit breaker; good for one pop before being replaced. In six months all we have had is three (or is it four) of the silliest, soppy, dibble letters ever spouted by a 'DAS' and we have, over the years, seen some 'doozy's'. She looks, talks and acts like a sheep in the headlights - no idea. That we could forgive. But the gross insult to industry intelligence, expertise and knowledge will - forever - be a shame to this government.

Ref: https://auntypru.com/wp-content/uploads/...tion-2.pdfhttps://auntypru.com/wp-content/uploads/...ndum-1.pdf

Ref: https://www.kingston.vic.gov.au/Communit...ort-Safety

“Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”― Umberto Eco

Few, if any in this industry are stupid. even fewer have a child like belief that a bipartisan parliament cares about the fate of a once vibrant, flourishing industry now being decimated by the world's worst law and building on the space needed to work, operate and KEEP PASSENGERS SAFE, by not hitting the obscene concrete monstrosities parked in escape routes and on Commonwealth land reserved for the development and growth of aviation enterprise. That is what the ACT expected - ain't it? A prospering industry on Commonwealth property - serving this nation. Spence looks, sounds and writes like a Chook - recently hit in the head with a shovel. The election cometh - lots work in aviation - want their vote? Then; get off your bipartisan arse and do something. Waive Angel Flight restrictions; reinstate Buckley; bring in Class 2 medicals for all; do what you like; but, for pities sake -  bring in a DAS with a clue as to exactly - which end the smoke comes out of.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.― Mark Twain

No matter - all knocked off for Christmas; well paid, well protected - off on a well earned break; nary a thought spared for the poor child facing a first NT wet season in a 30 y.o. airframe - not scared of the weather, of terrain - but of what may have been missed in law which could land said aeronautical child in gaol. It is not only a bloody mess and a buggers muddle, it is attracting some serious international condemnation. Is ICAO watching? You bet it is ....SP = Even Money.

But far removed from the duplicity of government agencies, the dissolute powers, the mad dreams of CASA and the fear inherent in politicians; I have a question to which I have sought an answer for many years. In my workshop, I 'finish' pieces made with all manner of 'stuff' - Shellac; wax, French polish, varnish, stain, even rotten Estapol - hardly ever get my paws dirty, let alone sticky - but bloody paint! What is it with this stuff? "Can you please paint it Pink?" begs the small faerie princess, owner of a small, recently made dresser. I now have one dog with pink ears; pink cat footprints across some fairly expensive Mahogany, pink daubs on both #5 and #4½ bench planes, pink elbows, multiple pink fingers and I also had a 'Wee- wee' - so:: no prizes for guessing what else. Aye well - I'm late - hot tongue and cold shoulder await; but first - there's a breeze from the river; a siren song, summer warming the orchard, no boots, jacket or hat required. Away beasts - moonlight and the river's song shall soothe and charm the cares of these tawdry thoughts away.

[Image: the_rialto_bridge.jpg]

How sweet the moonlight sleeps upon this bank!

Here will we sit and let the sounds of music

Creep in our ears: soft stillness and the night

Become the touches of sweet harmony.

Sit, Jessica. Look how the floor of heaven

Is thick inlaid with patines of bright gold:

- Lorenzo, Act V, Scene 1
― William Shakespeare, The Merchant of Venice

Selah .-.

[Image: sbg-12-12-21-1.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...1#pid12491https://www.theaustralian.com.au/inquire...2e79d81b87GA Inquiry witnesses rating - From Gold Star (chocfrog) to WOFTAM??

Bi Part; Insanity = Dystopian landscape.

I wonder if politicians of both stripes; gearing up for election have considered the backlash from the number of voters, in rural and remote locations who know and probably live close to someone who has benefited from the sterling, no cost, selfless dedication Angel Flight (AF) provides to those towns. Or; how much money AF saves a responsible health service in transport costs alone; or, even if the list of those who are  wealthy enough (and influential enough) to donate the money and time to save this nation a whopping bill freely given to ensure AF keep operating. On a purely cynical 'how many votes is it worth' tally any wannabe politician must take into account one simple fact - folk in rural and remote locations tend to know each other, stick together and not only their votes but their intimate knowledge of local issues, such as child needing medical care count. Seriously - China, global warming, BLM, Woke, Trans whatever's and all the other highly vocal, noisy minorities don't signify - not when a local child dies or suffers simply because, for some artificially generated restriction; pilot Fred could not carry a child to hospital for treatment. Aye, it's worth a thought or two. Well if I wanted to represent a regional electorate - I would be barking mad about it.

[Image: Untitled_Clipping_013118_093436_AM.jpg]

Ref: https://auntypru.com/catchers-in-the-wry/

“Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to reform (or pause and reflect). — Mark Twain.

"About what?" asks the voting crowd. Ti's a good question; in my muddled way, an explanation of sorts is here attempted. In essence, it ain't a complicated matter, not at the radical it ain't. Take the time to watch and understand the Hansard video of Doolittle's last round of amateur theatrics; a circus and a great fraud foisted on an uneducated nation. Not, buy the by - that the great unwashed have time to spare to listen to an insignificant gab fest, related to aircraft, aerodromes or even the plight of children, the sick and the elderly in need of medical treatment. 'Q' public interest in the proceedings? 'A' Virtually non existent. Aye; and there's the rub.

All, every last single drop of blood, of deceit and of dereliction of duty must be laid at the feet of both sides of politics. There can be no escape, nor excuse from that. "Proof" bellows our learned colleague from 'the other side'. Silly question really, for it is there, every day, all day, Hiundai. "Proof" of the most graphic, damning sort is freely available. Takes about 60 seconds to find and about five minutes to digest - a clear result of bipartisan hand washing from gutless politicians. Bear with me and I'll tell the tale of a failed democracy, the death of accountability, the creation of a monster and the death throes of a once thriving industry . 

“The most confused you will ever get is when you try to convince your heart and spirit of something your mind knows is a lie. ― Shannon L. Alder

Once upon a time, in the beginning, our politicians decided to 'rubber stamp' any and all legislation created related to matters aeronautical. No matter what the 'authority' or how it was named could do no wrong - they are the experts etc.... I say, anyone who, in public office. can watch but two video recordings of the McDolittle farcical 'inquiry' without a shred of guilt needs serious help and is not competent to be in Parliament. Anyone who has witnessed this whole charade, from soup to nuts, and is not 'alarmed' probably bats for the opposition. 

[Image: images-4.jpg]

“A clear conscience is the sure sign of a bad memory.” — Mark Twain.

The first thing is to read through the AF submission to the McDolittle farce; tedious though it be. Secondly, have a listen to the AF session - on Hansard etc. Then watch the first 69 seconds of the CASA 'interview; but pay close attention. For all is revealed; right there. Ignore the CASA butchered sound - turn it off for the first go through - just watch. I profile Spence has transmogrified from Chook (OZ slang for Chicken) into Turkey. Double chin and 'bright red wattle. Clearly panicked. The first she has heard of the Monohan contempt of either Senate or of court (one or t'uther) has landed with a thud - only seconds before she's 'on'. Red faced and panicked, clearly shocked and angry, she elects to read a prepared statement, one in which she says "my team" etc. Clearly there's been a brawl; clearly she is completely out of the 'boy's' loop. Watch the 'pecking motions' as she clearly reads herself "under the bus:"while Monohan sits with his boot parked on a handy chair, listening to the 'mewing' of Aleck as the bus wheels crunch over the carcass of the unpopular DAS (as was). Spence must resign.

[Image: 4487bd41cf2dd73ec7ed4ef8de047832.jpg]

“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” ― Martin Luther King Jr.

Ladies and Gentlemen of the Parliament; you have not been 'Raped'.  But Graped - i.e. there is a bunch of 'em. Time to take back the control lost in your bi-part-insane avoidance of all responsibility. Should both 'ball's and brain' still be functioning; take a look at the most excellent submission of the Kingston Council. Legally accurate, operationally concise; and, importantly - in full defence of those they are elected to represent.

[Image: unnamed.jpg]

Politics without principle. - Ring any bells?

Given the public money squandered on 'inquiry' perhaps its time to open another. This time a real one; no holds barred. The blatant acts of Embuggerance, for pure 'malice aforethought' CASA have managed over two decades demand a Judicial or Royal inquiry; make no mistake, the evidence is there - lots of. It only requires the men and women of this once great nation to fairly and justly hear exactly what 'their' collective bipartisan cop-out has done to a once thriving industry. CASA have taken the advantage - that which the elected politicians have abrogated in favour of no responsibility. Now I thought that was the reason we elected them - to take care of all Australians. Someone's buggered that - well and truly. Here endeth the ramble I had to have. Sorry - but the situation is becoming beyond risible - bordering on dereliction of the civic duty we pay dearly for.

Oh aye: another ramble : "Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing". But consider - I am not the only one 'at it' am I. No matter - two 'French doors' made to order in top grade' Pacific Maple -  made on the bench and installed. A most satisfactory week; although the smell of wet horse, wet dogs and wet cat paw prints on my timber tend to take the shine off - even shouted at the cat "Gerrofffit" - never have I seen such a look of disdain as it gracefully and slowly ambled away - such is life in the fast lane and the small pleasures therein.

Selah .-.

Pardon me, but a little question; what would happen if pilots, engineers and the rest of the General Aviation industry decided they had had enough of inquiries, reviews, consultations and suchlike and decided to vote independent, encouraging others to do the same? Might the two major parties decide that they had better reform CASA and rewrite the Act, no matter how much it hurt, if they want to form Government?

You see we are told that electing independents is bad for everyone because of its capacity to produce minority Governments without the votes to enact necessary policy, etc., etc. To which the Aviators observation is that since stable Governments over the last forty years have produced nothing but more and more rotten regulation, perhaps its best we try unstable Government and see if they have an appetite for aviation reform.

Its simple really; you destroy our industry, we destroy yours at the ballot box.

There should not be an independent, no matter how crackpot their policies, that is not worth a ten dollar donation in the hope that it will take a few more votes from the Liberals, Labor and Nationals. Those affected by the industry: Customers, family, aviation minded friends, even grand parents of star struck grand children should be encouraged. Not one independent left unsupported. Not one dollar to the major parties.

[Image: sbg-19-12-21.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-20-06-21-ive-go...er-aint-i/https://auntypru.com/and-the-angels-wept/

Johnson's Antidote.

"Down along the Snakebite River, where the overlanders camp,
Where the serpents are in millions, all of the most deadly stamp;
Where the station-cook in terror, nearly every time he bakes,
Mixes up among the doughboys half-a-dozen poison-snakes:
Where the wily free-selector walks in armour-plated pants,
And defies the stings of scorpions, and the bites of bull-dog ants:
Where the adder and the viper tear each other by the throat,
There it was that William Johnson sought his snake-bite antidote.

Johnson was a free-selector, and his brain went rather queer,
For the constant sight of serpents filled him with a deadly fear;
So he tramped his free-selection, morning, afternoon, and night,
Seeking for some great specific that would cure the serpent’s bite.
Till King Billy, of the Mooki, chieftain of the flour-bag head,
Told him, ‘Spos’n snake bite pfeller, pfeller mostly drop down dead;
Spos’n snake bite old goanna, then you watch a while you see,
Old goanna cure himself with eating little pfeller tree.’
‘That’s the cure,’ said William Johnson, ‘point me out this plant sublime,’
But King Billy, feeling lazy, said he’d go another time.
Thus it came to pass that Johnson, having got the tale by rote,
Followed every stray goanna, seeking for the antidote.

Love it - and, with just a little imagination (for those who posses such a wondrous gift) - the parallels between the McDolittle inquiry and a resolution of the thirty year history of WOFTAM 'inquiry' may be clearly drawn. For the following of stray Goanna in hope of finding an antidote seems to be the result every time. Well, the politician ain't Goanna achieve anything following that course.

So, what's to be done? Or, what can be done, more than industry has already done? Here we stand, watching other nations industry progress, if not in leaps and bounds,  at least viable if not vibrant. The differences marked and defined by important cornerstones. One of the Goannas industry keeps following is 'the regulations' - regular pilgrimages made to the alter of the FAA regulation which is all well and good - for they are indeed the gold standard - however. Many believe that the FAR are user friendly and it is true, they are, but they are no antidote to snake bite. The true antidote resides within the FAA itself. I can assure you, that the FAA are not to be treated as lightweights; nothing could be further from the truth, you do not mess about with these folk. The difference lays in the attitude of and approach taken by the FAA. Make an application to mount an operation, prepare your paperwork and submit, then wait a while. There will be a sit down, a discussion then an 'operational specification' will be agreed and, you are off to the races. Clearly defined limitations and specification, provided those are upheld then apart from routine stuff, there is no fear of, or dependency on the good will or mood of the regulator.

Australia's regulations are truly abysmal from an operational standpoint. From the administrators POV they are almost perfect and working toward their vision of 'perfection'. Malleable, manipulable, infinity adaptable to suit whatever decisions are made to help or hinder an operator, as seen by the collective. It begs the question; do we need to change the regulation and regulator? I reckon McDolittle and Master Sterle  could give you a short, sharp answer to that. In fact there is probably a dozen Senators, of all stripes, who could fully, in a bipartisan way, support that notion. Then is there any hope? History is against it, however, many of the BRB believe that McDoolittle's pantomime may provide a lever to the lid of the snake pit. Much depends on the minister's cards and how he plays 'em; 'tis a strong hand, the evidence provided by Angel Flight makes it a hard to beat hand, not a lay down mazaire, but, with a little bipartisan assistance - there is a slim chance. But enough...

We were all talking the other night and the topic of working through Christmas came up; many of the fellahin have been airborne throughout; far from their family at home. But then so have many others, folk like the truck drivers. Through this whole Covid thing, they have delivered the petrol, the food, the medicines, the livestock and materials needed to keep this land rolling. Many similarities between the two professions. TOM proposed the toast - "Thank you boys and Merry Christmas to you and yours; safe home."

Selah.-.

Of DT and the Real Deal.

It all began early; I'd worked a little longer to make sure all was tidy and ordered for the arrival of our guests (MTF) - second coffee, feet up, stable ship shape - time for a little R&R. Then, the shadow of doom crossed the threshold - Domestic Tyranny - armed with what looked like gardening equipment. "Whuzup"? say's I. Aye, there was no escape; trapped, without excuse. The attack beautifully managed; all escape routes covered.

“I hate gardening! What sort of a person has a power complex about flowers? It’s dictatorship for inadequates. Or to put it another way, it’s dictatorship.“

I hate gardening! There were plants to split, soil to be shifted and placed in new pots etc; insects and other stuff everywhere, hot, dirty work overseen by a daemon of the sixth hell. Eventually, I managed to limp off into the shower in time to light the BBQ and pull a well earned pint of good Ale. I could never see why 'man' must interfere with nature - let the bloody weeds triumph I say, let nature take it's course; there is a natural 'order' so why bugger about with it? - Anyway, as it happened, turns out that the natural order of things 'parliamentary' may yet be our only salvation.

"No clever arrangement of bad eggs ever made a good omelette."

You see; as it was explained to me over an Ale by an ex 'heavy duty' mandarin, there is a settled order to the way government, in the Westminster system operates and that the key to resolving many of the serious problems aviation faces is fully and freely available to any Minister who cares to ask for it. To say it was a fascinating lesson fails to encompass the shear logic; and, (N.B.) the horsepower a minister actually has, on tap. OK; short version: within the Canberra bubble there exists scions of the Mandarin dynasty; reared from birth to 'manage' the incomers. The real power and brains behind the ministerial charade. For when the minister (exeunt 'stage left') departs the fix, no matter what horror has been left behind, the Mandarins mop up the dross and keep the ship of state 'steady'.

There; lead in done, now to business. B Joyce Esq. has a problem; he, through a bipartisan agreement has no control whatsoever over a government agency which is 'rudderless' and creating havoc; the CASA. No matter how much he sings and dances; the die is cast. No matter how much he can see that radical change is required; or, that an industry is dying on it's feet; or, that the investors are leaving in droves - essentially he's as buggered as the industry is. Time to call in the experts - the Mandarins. Time to bring CASA back into the sphere of influence and intelligence provided by the heavy weight folk who can - if asked politely - put the genie back in the bottle. Sure, the minister would be 'responsible' but the back up would be there to ensure 'electoral' protection. The Mandarins are as concerned as industry is about the CASA antics and cost and total failure - probably even more so than a minister who may only be 'in power' for a short time. Listening to the logical, sensible mandarin over an Ale (or perhaps three) I fail to see why a clever fellahin, like Joyce, just don't call in the heavy mob and regain control, with full protection from the slings and arrows of those who have denied their sworn duty for decades and 'bipart insanely' stood back and allowed an industry to descend into the present sorry state.

No matter; it is cool evening, the dogs and cat have had great fun scavenging morsels of BBQ, the place is quiet, at peace. Instantly grounded by simply running a callused hand over an 1830 bench plane, fully restored and functional, a wonderful tool, hand made by the man who's name is stamped on the end; there is fame of the human kind; a humble man, earning penny's who created with his own hands a thing of beauty which still, to this day, performs it's design function effortlessly and flawlessly. Food for thought? Oh: You bet.

Selah...

(01-21-2019, 05:59 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  Mistress Mary, quite contrary… (Part 135 & the RAOz Missing Linke)

Background references: 

Quote:[Image: 34815538_10157515756340760_2521769917334...e=5CBE4AEC]

Charter Industry harbours Grave Fears over New Rules

26 October 2018

Operators of small aeroplane charter companies have begun expressing concerns for their future as the industry comes to grips with new regulations that will see airline-like safety standards imposed on their businesses.

Charter companies fly ad-hoc operations tailored to specific customers and don't offer the regular public transport (RPT) services that are currently subject to increased levels of safety regulation.

CASRs Part 119 (Air Operator's Certificate - Commercial Air Transport) and 135 (Australian Air Transport Operations - Smaller Aeroplanes) are giving the charter industry the most concern, and several operators believe if the proposal are implemented as they are now, the industry is unlikely to be sustainable.

Some estimate that of the approximately 800 charter operators affected, as low as 100 would still be viable businesses if the regulations were adopted as they are.

Chief among the concerns is that the new rules will not improve safety, but will impose significant increases in costs and divert company resources away from the day-to-day operations of the company.

There is also a strong belief that imposing regulations designed for airlines and aircraft such as an Airbus A380 on smaller aircraft will remove the flexibility that defines the market charter companies service.

According to some operators, Parts 119 and 135 have eroded trust between the industry and the regulator, with many believing that CASA intends to impose the regulations regardless of industry input. Other charter advocates said that the proposals reveal a lack of technical competence in CASA.

"This is complete madness, confounded by absolute stupidity, locked up in a bureaucratic nightmare," one operator stated. "[It's] so very sad to see such a simple process locked up with the irresponsible and incompetent regulator."

Charter companies are also up in arms over CASA's reclassification of charter out of the definition of general aviation and into the passenger-carrying category. The effect has been to exclude small aeroplane charter operations from reformed regulation such as the new GA-specific maintenance regulations that will be based on the US FARs.

"The reason we have GA is [so] the same C172 can be a private aircraft and a charter aircraft and a survey aircraft and a mustering aircraft," another operator said. "For this versatility of use we need to have a consistent, uniform set of rules for registration, maintenance, and operation. We could refer to this as 'lateral consistency'.

"The same pilots and engineers use the same tools, qualifications and skills to fly everything from a Foxbat to U206 to a Chieftain to a B1900D. Our pilots and engineers need a consistent, uniform set of rules from the bottom of GA to the top - 'longditudinal consistency'.

"The term GA may not be useful to CASA, but it is who we are and what we do. In a heavily regulated sector, words do matter and if they re-define the words they will re-define us out of existence."

CASA closed consultation on both Part 119 and 135 on 2 September, and is targetting December this year for construction of the new rules.

&.. https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...83#pid9783

[Image: cropped-PastedGraphic-2.png]

(01-20-2019, 07:30 AM)Kharon Wrote:  I’m often quite as ‘confused’ by the results of the 30 year quest for regulatory reform as those at CASA who dream up these pointless ‘reforms’. The changes made seem quite contrary and often contradictory.

For example – take this RAoz outfit – what, of itself is it? What use is it to the national well being? What practical purpose does it serve? There is not too much confusion surrounding an outfit like War-birds or the Glider Federation, both of whom are ‘self administering’. It makes perfectly good sense that a ‘highly specialised’ small  (non commercial) group, should be able to look after themselves – they have done so; successfully, for a long while now and never given the CASA cause to regret cutting them loose from the departmental apron strings. A success story, Bravo. But what is this RAoz thing? It is a to a high degree a quasi commercial association (flight training and aircraft hire), where those who want to potter about in aircraft <600 Kg, in good weather and take the Missus along with on the one hour tour of the local landmarks. All well and good if that is the limit of their aspirations – but the safety case is on very shaky ground.  

Quote:[Image: r1395064_19866517.jpg]

The International Civil Aviation Organization classifies general aviation as covering a range of operations that are not commercial air transport services. This includes aerial work (such as agriculture, photography, surveying, search and rescue), instructional flying and pleasure flying.Aug 8, 2018

[/url]General Aviation[url=https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/general/]

https://infrastructure.gov.au/aviation/general/

The term ‘General Aviation’ (GA) is a misnomer: there are some pretty classy operations lumped into the classification; from long haul, top deck business jets to sophisticated turbine aircraft; from Agricultural applications to the RFDS; from aerial mustering to rescue helicopters. It is a diverse field, providing services and employment, which contributes much to society - and the GDP.

RAoz does non of these things. Compared to ‘commercial’ GA, their training standards well below GA, their airworthiness certification is below the GA bench mark, the maintenance standards are well below GA norm. In short, the average RAoz aircraft and pilot are much more likely to come to grief (on a risk analysis) than a commercial GA aircraft; or even an Australian registered aircraft, privately maintained and operated by a 'private' pilot under the current CASA  rules. And yet, CASA in it’s infernal wisdom is granting more and more latitude to a bunch of amateur Tupperware thrill seekers, while increasing the regulatory burden, exponentially on ‘commercial operations’ which already work under a regulatory impost. Don’t make any sense to me; penalise the ‘real’ operators and pamper the amateur crowd? This passes for ‘reform’? Bollocks it does.

I don’t have a quarrel with ‘home built’ or experimental aircraft; or those as build ‘em. In fact I’d encourage it. BUT, with the two megalomaniacs running the RAoz outfit trying to make it into something other than the original, as intended system, aided and abetted by a purblind CASA – it is time to call halt and bring in some realism. The illych system of divide and conquer, modified by Jonathan (where are my marbles) Aleck is a canker on the industry rump; part 135 is the slow poison seeping from that malefic.

Commercial, professional, top end GA driven into spectre of the past – while the Tupperware crowd revel in their unfettered freedom. Lunacy and arse about face logic. Only in Australia. CASA's current thinking is giving me a serious dose of the screaming Heebeegeebees - truly, loose marble scary........

Done with it – the only hope is for this industry to collectively scream their bloody heads off; get Part 135 and those as wrote it sent back to Hell; where they all rightfully belong.

Aye, I know, more a mini rant than a Gazette: but sometimes it’s better to get things off one’s chest than stew on it. Time the commercial operators joined hands and spoke the one word, with one voice – unacceptable!

Selah……

[Image: westpac-life-saver-rescue-helicopter-ima...24x682.jpg]

(01-20-2019, 07:27 PM)P7_TOM Wrote:  Been a’ pondering, have I.

My firstborn has, as usual, skipped through the obvious steps and landed on a conclusion. Furry Muff for those who actually ‘get-it’ and there are plenty who do; but what of the rest of us – we plodders?

Well, loath as I be to but into the Sunday speakeasy; I thought some time would be well spent by looking at ‘essentials’ and they way the Part 135 eliminates those things which are of value and replaces them with ‘desk-top’ audit ease and even easier conviction. We are discussing serious criminal penalties here; without appeal, under strict liability. The devil is in the detail and the translation, only by qualified ‘legal; opinion.

But why don’t we put that aside – just for a nonce and look at ‘practical’ safety enhancement? That is, when all said and done, what CASA are shooting for (despite rumours to the contrary). They believe (firmly) that increased ‘safety-management’ and a lot more office staff will make the commercial, non airline sector ‘safer’. Whatever that may mean.

The CASR Part 135 places a tremendous financial burden on the non airline operators. A sector of industry which has, traditionally, always had a battle with balancing the books. The additional impost of even more compliance cost will send many to the wall. For no – zero – safety gain. The 135 logic is flawed, deeply and cataclysmically.

Funds which could be made available for a ‘better’ rather than bare bones overhaul of an engine are now to be used for the care and feeding of some esoteric ‘safety’ notion person CASA believes will ‘improve’ the ever more nebulous demand for 'safety'. Look deeply and closely into commercial operations, the solutions are crystal clear. The ‘cash’ surplus is being eaten alive by the ‘compliance daemon. Charter operators spend more time, money and effort ensuring ‘compliance’ than they do almost anything else – and go to sleep at night worrying about things which have sweet duck all to do with ‘safe’ operations the next day.

Why does CASA not take it’s big boot of the ‘strict liability’ pedal and ensure that ‘surplus’ funds are directed into the ‘luxury items’?

About now, there is a collective growl from the IOS meeting. ‘Wait” say’s I, “all will explained”. And, verbatim I do quote it:-

How about being able to afford the luxury of sending the Chief Pilot or even a training pilot along on a charter – call it LOFT, call it a ride along, call it a route check – call it whatever floats your boat. A new start, new to the aircraft, new to the company, new to the territory, new to the ‘job’ – needs every single ounce of ‘non punitive’ additional training the company can provide. This costs real money; money now being spent chasing the dragon of ‘compliance’. Senior pilots stuck in the bloody office – ensuring paper compliance, redrafting operations manual – while young ‘Wannabe’ is out there, on his own, with nary a clue of how to ‘get a job done’ - properly (compliantly).

Affordable luxury – the aging, venerable PA 31 is up for overhaul. Three lists -  ‘nice to have list’ a ‘must do list’ and a bloody long ‘wish-list’. All of this cost money, which is in short supply because it is feeding the compliance daemon.

Affordable luxury – new GPS, radio or even instruments - all cost money.

The simple fact is that there is only so much Do-Ray-Me to go around after funding the existing, horrendous ‘compliance’ costs. This precludes any training above the absolute minimum required for 'compliance'; or, spare time for ‘senior pilot’ supervision above and beyond the 'compliance' minimum; or, upgrade and repair/rectification/re-fit is gobbled up by the ever demanding ‘compliance’ daemon leads only to one place – shut down or go tit’s up. But therein, lies real safety. Up to date aircraft operated by carefully nurtured pilot - who know what they are about; courtesy of their employer.

CASA ain’t enhancing ‘real’ safety – they are seriously ‘anal retentive’ in ensuring that ‘safety’ is firmly in the hands of the legal profession, safe conviction and that the reality of ‘operational safety’ is removed from the ambit of the operator. Yes, granted, there are some who will take very penny and not re-invest it their own operation – but they are few and far between.

What say you IOS?   A new GPS or another ‘clerk’ in the office – taking care of administrative safety or another experienced ‘chap’ (or Chapess) taking care of ‘real’ airborne safety?

Where would you spend your safety dollars – operationally; or, on ‘compliance’? Unanimous vote here.

Yes; I’ll shut up now; yes I need a refill and yes – I will walk home with ‘the lad’; it will be my pleasure.

Now, bugger off and let an old man have a quiet Ale (or two?)

[Image: 87f92614d3e2ef1ac7e3a54a63b7d0df?width=1024]

(01-20-2019, 08:58 PM)Gobbledock Wrote:  A journey down Compliance Avenue, just around the corner from Pooh Lane and near Bollocks Street

P7 said;

“when all said and done, what CASA are shooting for (despite rumours to the contrary). They believe (firmly) that increased ‘safety-management’ and a lot more office staff will make the commercial, non airline sector ‘safer’. Whatever that may mean”.

Pretty much sums it up perfectly. More compliance under CAsR Part 135 for nil increased safety benefit. Additional burden of hiring a safety manager to meet compliance needs. Ridiculous crap. Later this year -  aerodromes MOS Part 139; changes that will increase airport compliance. More risk assessments, more safety cases, more cost impost on the little airports with a single ARO, a gardener and one RPT flight per week. Bollocks I call, bollocks!!!

Meanwhile, the ever so safety conscious Big R Regulator allows shopping centres to be built within 150m of a runway centreline without so much as a risk assessment because CAsA are too busy and it’s too much work. FFS.

Why do you think the Frogs are firing up in France? The yellow vests are sick of Government mismanagement of taxpayer funds, the over regulation of everything from tax laws, civil laws and legislation, police powers, bankster politicans, speed cameras, CCTV cameras, rules rules rules and more effing rules. The yellow vests, do you know the reason for the vests? No, not Greg Hood. It’s becuase of the fuckwit French Government who has made it law that you carry a yellow vest in every vehicles boot incase the car breaks down. You have to put your vest on. FFS, they made that in to a law!!!!

Enough is enough
Meanwhile in the totally unaccountable, totally deluded world of the aviation safety, trough feeding Mandarins and their minions... Dodgy  

Via Twitter today: 

Quote:[Image: MuN7HDSR_bigger.jpg]
ATSB

@atsbinfo

In a concerted effort to maintain Australia’s world-leading safety record, Australia’s three government aviation agencies are hosting the inaugural FlySafe 2019 Aviation Safety Forum at
@Avalon_2019 next month:  #flysafe2019 @AirservicesNews @CASABriefing

FlySafe 2019 forum set to improve aviation safety

In a concerted effort to maintain Australia’s world-leading safety record, Australia’s three government aviation agencies are hosting the inaugural FlySafe 2019 Aviation Safety Forum at the Australian International Airshow next month.
[Image: flysafe-2019-atsb-web.jpg]
Airservices Australia, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) will together discuss and explore a range of aviation safety issues with the aim of enhancing aviation safety during a full day forum at the airshow, to be held at Avalon Airport in Victoria on Thursday 28 February.

FlySafe 2019 is open and free to trade visitors, exhibitors and conference delegates. The forum will include keynote sessions by Airservices Chief Executive Officer Jason Harfield; ATSB Chief Commissioner Greg Hood; and CASA Chief Executive Officer and Director of Aviation Safety, Shane Carmody.

Safety experts from the three agencies will be discussing the benefits of enabling a positive safety reporting culture and will also talk through a hypothetical accident at a busy airport to describe the important roles each agency plays during an aviation accident.

With the ATSB’s latest annual statistics showing an increase in the number of fatalities from aviation accidents in Australia during 2017, Chief Commissioner Hood said the ATSB regularly investigates aviation accidents involving poor decision making and risk management.

“We regularly see accidents repeated – fatal accidents which could have quite easily been avoided – it is incredibly tragic and very frustrating,” said Mr Hood. “There are valuable safety lessons to be learned for the whole of industry from our investigations, and I look forward to discussing a range of safety matters with the attendees at FlySafe 2019.”

FlySafe 2019 will also hear from the Director of the Defence Flight Safety Bureau, Group Captain Nigel Ward, and from New Zealand’s Transport Accident Investigation Commission, Chief Commissioner, Jane Meares.

“Australia’s aviation safety scorecard is the envy of the world, and we continue to innovate and improve in order to maintain this proud legacy,” said Mr Harfield, who will be providing an update on current developments in air traffic management safety, including the OneSKY program. “It is crucial we do this, so the industry grows safely and efficiently in the years to come.”

Mr Carmody said FlySafe 2019 represents a unique opportunity for the aviation industry.

“CASA is committed to maintaining Australia’s strong aviation safety record through improvements to regulations, effective consultation with industry and working together with other aviation agencies,” Mr Carmody said. “At FlySafe 2019 the aviation industry will have the opportunity to address and confront safety issues, and hear how the three agencies will continue to work together to improve aviation safety in Australia.”

Registration is free for airshow trade visitors and limited places are available. To attend FlySafe 2019, delegates should send their name, title and affiliation to: fly.safe@airservicesaustralia.com before 15 February 2019.

My response:

Quote:"..concerted effort to maintain Australia’s world-leading safety record, Australia’s three government aviation agencies..." Surely you jest and that should read 'maintain the status quo of covering up our aviation safety deficiencies' e.g #MH370 and blind-siding a conga line of..

[Image: DxaUym8UUAEGfem.jpg]

Govt Ministers
@M_McCormackMP @DarrenChesterMP @WarrenETruss @AlboMP with the mystique of aviation safety (#MOAS), while in the meantime suffocating an essential #GAindustry
through oppressive regulation and strict liability embuggerance: References - https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...64#pid9764 

[Image: DxaahZqVsAARhyW.jpg]

cont/- RT
https://auntypru.com/faery-dust-sprinkle...pony-pooh/ … &

#PelAircoverup https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...n=lastpost … + #MH370 coverup #AIOS https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...88#pid2988 …  &

[Image: DxPJSY1UYAASjyB.jpg]
#DFOcrash
RT https://auntypru.com/let-sleeping-dogs-l...ouse-them/ … or https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...58#pid9758 … via https://auntypru.com/?s=essendon+dfo+accident … + https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_CmZsl...4-N5t930fw … #auspol #aupol #Avgeeks #avgeek

[Image: SBG-23-01-22.jpg]

Ref: https://auntypru.com/of-pandora-and-her-box-of-tricks/Dots-n-dashes to the re-writing of the Airport Act and regs? & ATSB go mute on Essendon crash prelim report & https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...0#pid12550Sandy on War & Peace & https://www.change.org/p/aviation-indust...5d3f22b052

Chalk, Cheese and Jeez Louise!

There are three primary topics which are of great concern the aviation industry; to wit, airports, medical certification and regulation. These may be broken down into smaller, more definitive categories. But, in essence, of themselves, should the underpinning tenets of the broad major topics be correctly addressed, then many of the minor 'grumbles' would fade away.   
Being but four months short of a decade ago Sen. Fawcett asked some questions which, to this day have not been satisfactorily answered. Since then, our library count of Senate Estimates questions related to airports and their use has increased; as has the count of 'non' answers and obfuscated promises. Meanwhile, the rape of Commonwealth land assigned for aviation purposes has continued, unabated. The evidence clearly visible in the form of large buildings erected in close proximity for non aviation purposes. The thing that really shames the political and administrative enclave is a simple, oft touted statement - "Safety is our prime concern". What a cynical, hypocritical load of bollocks that is. The DFO disaster at Essendon, the potential for a repeat, the lack of wind-shear and vortex analysis, the infringement of ICAO runway boundaries, the complete disregard of the UK and California code for buildings close to operational areas and the lack of safety zones make a mockery of any 'Safety' hyperbole. P2's most excellent summary - HERE - may serve as a reminder. The dead and the potential of a repeat of the Essendon DFO disaster should provide those who say that 'Safety' is their prime concern with a moments reflection of their duplicity. Particularly the ATSB (shame on you).

[Image: 16201.jpg]

“It must be remembered that there is nothing more difficult to plan, more doubtful of success, nor more dangerous to manage than a new system. For the initiator has the enmity of all who would profit by the preservation of the old institution and merely lukewarm defenders in those who gain by the new ones.” ― Niccolò Machiavelli

Item next - Medical matters. As it happened, a good few of the BRB were together one evening (darts) when AOPA were scheduled to have a chat with the new PMO of CASA, Dr. Kate Manderson. The match and the banter continued much as usual, but it was remarkable the way this all slowed down to a full stop as the interview progressed. About half way through most were stood or sat, not only listening but paying attention. Despite Morgan having more 'talk' time than the good Doc, what was said, if it comes to pass, was refreshing. Early in the piece, there was a significant  opening offered which (IMO) should have been examined - that of 'complexity' involved in the issue of certification. The door opened a crack; a chance to examine why so many medical cases present in the AAT; where expert practitioner advice is contrary to the Avmed ruling. That aside, the consensus was that perhaps, just maybe, the new PMO will be able to reform the existing system and bring it into step with the new century. Expect the worst, hope for the best; and, well said Dr. Manderson. (a.k.a. Doc K) "May the road reach up to meet you".

Of chalk, cheese and the differences therein. We managed to clean up most of the dialogue from the last CASA session from Estimates; I have watched the 'silent' and audible version several times and only one mystery remains. Why, in the name of sanity did Spence take the job on, Aye, 'tis a puzzle. When one compares the Doc. K session to the last CASA episode the mystery deepens. The good Doc, bright, open, honest, confident, articulate and as little 'spin' as possible. To be blunt, Spence had little of those qualities on display; flustered puts it mildly. Hardly the performance one could expect, particularly at the level of salary and authority provided with the title. Those among us with kinder hearts believe that Spence was bushwhacked; it is possible. Others opine that a 'true' DAS could have called for a 'break' (even on the excuse of audio problems) taken the front line outside, had words and returned with a smaller entourage, at least one scalp and a less comfortable front row. It must be crystal clear by now, to all and sundry, that CASA is in desperate need of leadership and serious reform. A simple question or two to those who have resigned will paint a picture even the most timid Minister cannot - in good conscience - continue to ignore. The ministerial Statement of Expectations (SoE) is imminent. Joyce is no man's fool. We shall, no doubt, see the writing on the wall, and soon.

[Image: 2742325.jpg]

“The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.” -- Omar Khayyam

That's about it; bloody rain found it's way into a tool stand, I now have four nicely rusted bench planes to clean up and cure. Best crack on and watch for break in the weather and perhaps a patch of sunshine to walk with.

Selah.-.

As the man with the wooden leg said;

"Its a matter of a pinion".

Plenty of opinion about just now; those who have taken the time to 'read' the Ministerial directive a.k.a. the recently released SoE fall roughly into two camps and there is plenty of logical argument to support each point of view, backed up by history and results. On my tote board there is a third entrant; "Wait-a-Bit" at 4/1.

“We're eyeball to eyeball,” Secretary of State Dean Rusk whispered to National Security Adviser McGeorge Bundy, “and I think the other fellow just blinked.”

IMO - that quote sums up the situation exactly; who will blink first. The SoE as written  supports most of the industry thinking and sets out to rectify many of the shortfalls within the existing system; jolly good, Bravo. Enter the Dragon. The way things should work (in theory) is that the Minister defines the course and the Authority tugs it's forelock and gets to work. History provides a very different answer. It has been many a long, weary year since aviation had a Minister who was prepared to 'crack the whip' and face down the insidious undermining, actually take an interest, provide the industry with the tools it needs to survive; and, take a little pride in that achievement. We can do little now but watch, wait and see who blinks first. 

That is a wrap up of the BRB indaba; the cynics and sceptics stole the vote 70% - however, there was no call to dismiss the SoE out of hand, nor was there much in the way of criticism for the new PMO; which is significant. When one adds the touted changes to medicals and the process, along with the SoE - even the most hardened sceptics agreed that 'change' for the better would be a very welcome thing. Once again, we finish back where we started - in the lap of the gods.

Aye well; at least January is close to it's end - least favourite month of the year, just seems to drag on forever. Best get moving - DT has left a list on the workbench, take me longer to get the tools out than to get it done - "needs must when the Devil drives" eh. .

Selah.

[Image: sbg-6-02-22.jpg]
Ref: https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/20...he-ground/https://www.theaustralian.com.au/comment...f97b555ec9

Your safety is our prime concern.

'Hypocrisy' is a word I hear being bandied about a lot just lately. With an election looming, there are a few 'other' words which are becoming an accepted norm in the political art of double speak and verbal sleight of hand. All delivered on a sliding scale of between risible and outrageous; 'tis the meat and potatoes of the politician 'on the election trail'. They've been at it for centuries now and, provided the 'rhetoric' is filtered through the parliamentary system before becoming 'law' at least some sense of proportion can be maintained (mostly). But what of the 'big lies' - the 'whoppers' the ones which are enshrined as absolute truth and unimpeachable? Those that protect and isolate the governing party from any and all responsibility - what of those?

"The Act stipulates that CASA must regard the safety of air navigation as the most important consideration."

Consecutive government ministers and their minions have hidden behind this fatuous statement for decades now and it is the most ambiguous, heinous load of crapolla ever foisted on an unsuspecting public. Check your dictionary - the sentence is almost  meaningless. Then consider the words 'air navigation';

"the act of directing a ship, aircraft, etc. from one place to another, or the science of finding a way from one place to another:"

This 'Act' part is neatly covered in the first round of pilot qualification - navigation in theory and in practice: end of...The 'safety' of 'aviation operations' (complete) is left to the discretion of those charged with oversight of 'safety' - without further guidance. The dismal results of that latitude clearly demonstrated on a daily basis. But, I digress; we must return to the 'big' lie and seek an answer to a serious question or two. How can anyone claim that 'safety' is the 'most important' element while the potential for mid air collision has never been mathematically higher; or the percentage chances of collision with a large building exponentially increased - due to ASA ineptitude; ATSB puerile non reporting of probable cause & associated elements -  and CASA denying any and all responsibility? We may reasonably ask how 'safety' is being improved by large buildings in close proximity to operational (safe) areas required to ensure the safe passage of an aircraft during the critical (most dangerous) period of flight (take off and landing). These are very real, high risk 'safety case' scenario which have never been addressed.

It is time to prick the aviation 'safety' thought bubble and expose it for the sham it is. One reason Australia has a low aviation accident rate is simply because there ain't much in the way of 'activity', reasonably good weather and little in the way of 'high' terrain. The danger areas however are growing at a rate; for example there is not a study of the effect of wind interaction with buildings close to operational safety zones; this is imperative for 'worst case' analysis of aircraft with 'critical' failures. There are no existing forward projections for managing aircraft in close proximity during critical flight segments (approach, land, take-off and departure) in congested airspace, bar 'see and be seen' which is difficult at the best of times. There is an increasing burden of regulatory compliance and 'safety speak' which detracts from operator ability to analyse, assess and mitigate the risks associated with 'task' as scheduled.

Ref: EWH catching up on AMROBA SOE support

The brand new SoE is, in theory, a good jumping off point. The big question is will it be allowed to morph into it's full potential; or, be paid lip service with minor, insignificant changes and some new cosmetics applied, just to make it seem as though the SoE was 'complied' with? The treatment of the ASRR still rankles in living memory as a disgraceful example of the radical cause for industry concerns.

[Image: Barnaby_TW_2016_027FC130-1576-11E6-99C802D27ADCA5FF.jpg]

“And thus I clothe my naked villainy
With odd old ends stol'n out of holy writ;
And seem a saint, when most I play the devil.” — William Shakespeare, Richard III.

Aye well; rant over - but seriously - how much longer can we mushrooms be kept in the dark, fed on pony-pooh and keep swallowing it?

No matter, tempus fugit and there will be frayed tempers if I don't get a wriggle on.

Selah.-.

My dear K,

Words. Hypocrisy, sham, safety, ambiguous, lies, rhetoric and so many more.

We rarely hear a question asked, Why? How? Who? To what end? To achieve what? At what cost? Logical?

The biggest question is Why? followed by, have we achieved the result we intended? followed by at what cost?

Why would Australia embark on the folly we have with regard to aviation regulation. to what end?

It should be apparent by now that the end result has severely impacted on the viability of general aviation to survive.

Was that the intended result, if so why?

Some would say the reform project was actioned because the previous regulations were out of date, written to protect and enforce the old protectionist two airline duopoly and needed to be rewritten to reflect Australia's new deregulation policy.

GA never was and never has been a threat to RPT activity, by its very nature it operates outside the RPT sphere and in many cases compliments RPT operators rather than competes.

By its very nature and the essential work it does, and the equipment it uses, GA could never match RPT in the safety stakes, attempting to make it so is quite simply illogical. As we are seeing, attempting to regulate with a one size fits all regulatory suite, to achieve the impossible, is never going to work, a futile exercise.

If the intended exercise is to achieve "Safety" whatever that is defined as, does that require the complete shutdown of all GA activity? Its illogical, as there are other forms of transport statistically far less safe than general aviation.

It seems to me that the word "Safety" really means perception of risk tolerable by the public, that perception of course is driven by the media. Aviation accidents are so rare that when they occur its newsworthy therefore garnering media attention which sensationalises the event, putting the impression in the public's mind that flying is inherently dangerous yet ignore the carnage that occurs on our roads every day.

I cannot get my head around why Australia, with a minuscule aviation industry, would attempt to produce a unique regulatory suite for aviation without regard to alignment with the giants of the aviation world, expend huge amounts of money to do so, yet achieve no better safety outcomes.

Aviation is the most regulated industry in the world, it would seem to me the logical thing to do would be to align with the biggest thus reducing cost burdens that apply and the brick walls that occur when one regulation is out of step with another.

The united States has by far the largest aviation industry in the world, there is a reason for that. A mature regulatory suite that does not stifle innovation or participation and produces arguably better safety outcomes than Australia does.

Australia could for very little cost do what New Zealand did and adopt the US FAR's its incredulous Australia didn't do that in the first place, its the logical thing to do.

Thorn Bird, I will attempt to answer your question... Why?  The answer is "Because".

The short answer:

Because most politicians are gutless and lazy. They farmed out aviation regulation to an arms length Government corporation – CASA that insulates them from responsibility for accident and loss of life and provided it with the most obtuse and imprecise Aviation Act it was possible to write without public outcry. This is a Faustian bargain; CASA has used the freedoms conferred by the Act and its corporate structure not for the benefit of the Australian economy and society but to satisfy its internal perverse lusts  at the expense of the aviation industry as evidenced by its deliberate frustration of attempted reform for at least the last ten years. It should also be noted that the Aviation Act does not prevent CASA from fulfilling what passes for its mission by forbidding aviation altogether. This is not a trivial observation.

The long answer:

Because CASA, the Department of Transport and the ATSB do not have the technical ability, let alone operational capability to regulate one hundredth of the technology and operation embodied in modern RPT aircraft such as an Airbus A380 or Boeing B787 Dreamliner, it has no real work to do.  The Australian airlines are in a one on one continuous conversation with Boeing and Airbus about all aspects of the operation of their aircraft and the interposition and potential interference of a regulator in that communication is both pointless and counter productive. The American  investigation of the B737Max accidents has laid this process bare. CASA merely rubber stamps the decisions taken  by Boeing, Airbus, the FAA and EASA. 

Because CASA,  is irrelevant to the operation of RPT transport in Australia , it justifies its existence and budget by focusing on what it can regulate – any aviation industry participant who is not Qantas, Virgin or a Regional airline.  It homes in on small operators who don’t have the political power, high technology and financial resources to tell them to fuck off, like Qantas can.  The overall result may be observed in the peeling paint, cobwebs and weeds associated with shuttered General Aviation operations all over Australia.

Because CASA has to justify its budget by focussing on the little guys, it must amplify the danger they pose to the general public. This then gives CASA permission to micromanage the little guys to deal with the "threat" they pose to the man in the street. This scope of this micromanagement extends from the operators of drones weighing 250 grams or more, model aeroplanes, hang gliders and kites through to business jets and the level of prescriptive detail extends from the correct tightness of  a tyre tube cap to aircrew fatigue mitigation rules of mind boggling complexity.

Because micromanagement is unpleasant and counterproductive, it is resisted, especially when it is inflicted on people by others who may not know what they are talking about, CASA thus has to back up its rules by draconian criminal penalties for the slightest infraction in an effort to maintain the semblance of control out of pure fear.  Not only are the penalties for infraction criminal matters, they are offences of “strict liability’ meaning that mitigating circumstances are no excuse. As any criminologist will tell you, this sets up a lose/lose negative interaction  between regulator and the regulated. Is compliance achieved? On the surface, Yes. Is safety thereby guaranteed? No.

Because having chosen to achieve control by fear in a micromanagement environment  the regulations become endlessly complex and contradictory as the framers try to cater  for an impossible matrix of situations. This creates anomalies, impossibilities and unintended consequences. The solution chosen is to issue exemptions, more than a thousand of them, to paper over the cracks as they occur. Similarly there are some 4000 notified discrepancies between model ICAO regulations and the Australian version.

Because CASA has chosen to micromanage instead of regulate on the basis of common sense and a rational set of objectives, it has written the regulations to give it enormous latitude in their application. This means no aviation participant can be certain about anything despite the micromanagement, thus increasing business and personal risk. The regulations are peppered  with deliberately obtuse language and imprecise terms that leave them open to interpretation by CASA (but not pilots). Naturally, no two CASA staff will make the same interpretation.  Favourite words and phrases are: ““CASA must be satisifed”, “appropriate means of compliance”, “sufficient” and the king of all of them: “acceptable”. Who decides what is sufficient, appropriate or acceptable? Compared to what??

Because CASA has created a minefield of complex and highly prescriptive regulation it now requires considerable time to make decisions. The solution chosen is to write all  regulations in the negative sense ie “CASA must not…...unless it is satisfied that…..”. This way an applicant cannot require specific performance by CASA of anything because CASA has deliberately tied its own hands. In relation to rules governing operations, the writing this way - "a pilot must not…..unless” means that all forms of aviation activity are prohibited unless they are compulsory. The negative effect of this on innovation and creativity is obvious.

Because we now have a meaningless jumble of regulation that can be twisted at will and human nature being what it is,  the application of the regulations is a fertile field for the conduct of  vices in the form of naked ambition, careerism,  personal vendettas, persecution, sadism, envy and greed. The result of this is described as the main conclusion of the Forsyth review – that CASA has lost the trust of the aviation industry. The plundering of public airport land by private property developers only reinforces this perception.

Because we have created a tangled mess of meaningless and incomprehensible regulation, patched together with exemptions and backed by severe criminal penalties, we find that all power within CASA gravitates to the group who are good with words but are least likely to understand the technical ramifications of aviation safety – the lawyers.

Because CASA is maintaining what appears to some to be a rotten  unproductive and unjust system, some will rebel and attempt to challenge the primacy of CASA. Such actions are perceived by CASA and/or its staff as threats and CASA responds to these with a massive arsenal of punishments including destroying businesses and careers.

And because of this unfortunate system, sovereign and regulatory risk to investment in Australian aviation is correctly perceived as extreme compared to other activities.  As a result Aviation does not generate the jobs it should nor the GDP it should let alone the GNH (gross national happiness) intelligent  use of aviation should produce. A short visit to New Zealand will show you what a thriving aviation industry looks like. We don’t have one here.

CASA staff and management can be forgiven for having a seige mentality given the animosity they have created and this makes change in this awfully negative situation virtually impossible.

It remains to be seen if the combined efforts of Minister Joyce,  Chairman Binskin and DAS Spence can break this logjam and return aviation to its rightful place. Time is not on their side.

P.S. There are numerous examples of evidence for every assertion I have made, perhaps the most telling being the number of anonymous submissions made to Government reviews for fear of CASAs retribution.

Wombat has well described the basis and outcome of a failed system of governance, a cogent statement that could be beneficial if there was the slightest interest anywhere in the Government.

Boiling it down again, or making a complimentary distillation of this extraordinary and disgraceful state of affairs, there are two irreconcilable elements in the Government’s utterly unintelligent framework for the administration of aviation.

1. As Minister Joyce states (did he read it?) he is responsible along with Parliament but in next breath states that CASA is independent. It’s hard to believe that any mature and educated legislator cannot see the impossibility of such an arrangement that cuts across the Westminster system of responsible government.

2. The childish, fictional and forlorn hope that is embodied in the undefinable notion of safety having priority over every consideration is a recipe for extreme and thoroughly impractical regulation.
In the eyes of the independent regulator, as Wombat exposes quite clearly, in pursuit of its own ends of power, money and ego, General Aviation is the whipping boy, the raison d’être. Safety trumps a healthy industry.

Wombat annunciates it so well Sandy, it simply defies common sense.

We made a start, way back when, to align with the US FAR's. A group that included industry representatives produced some excellent legislation, then suddenly we changed horses after the starting gun had gone and went for EASA alignment. Which of course didn't happen either, EASA reg's were a disaster, proved virtually unworkable and largely had to be rewritten to better align with US reg's. All that happened, interestingly, around the time of CASA legal rising to hegemony in the hierarchy of CASA under the Eastern block lawyers.

New Zealand, after a major disaster and resultant royal commission, made a start on reform but after strong opposition within their regulator had to virtually dismantle their bureaucracy and start afresh. Around two years and a few million dollars, using the FAR's as a template, they produced what are recognised as some of the best regulation in the world, adopted pretty much by most of the Pacific region.

Australia by contrast has stumbled along over thirty years, expending hundreds of millions of dollars to produce a Miss mash of convoluted, indecipherable garbage that has driven up the costs associated with every facet of the aviation industry to unaffordable levels, made Australia a pariah and shut the country out of participation with the rest of the world. We used to train excellent engineers in a fairly simple, cost effective, apprenticeship system. Participation has now diminished to alarming levels, kids are not stupid, they will look at the costs to qualify, look at the rewards after completing their training, and come to the conclusion there are easier ways to earn a quid, besides our engineers qualifications are not even recognised outside Australia any more. The same applies to our maintenance and engineering companies, shut out of competing with the rest of the world, I fear the same thing will happen to our pilots as well, tick in the box training just doesn't cut it.

Its not just aviation who suffer under the bureaucrats. Why it is ingrained in our public sector bureaucratic DNA that the whole world is wrong, only Australia is right?

I have no idea, but as someone once said "copy the best, discard the rest" never a truer word.

Of Soothsayers and the readers of tea leafs.

"Not from the stars do I my judgement pluck;
 And yet methinks I have astronomy,
 But not to tell of good or evil luck,
 Of plagues, of dearths, or season's quality:
 Nor can I fortune to brief minutes tell,
 Pointing to each his thunder, rain, and wind;
 Or say with princes if it shall go well,
 By oft predict that I in heaven find."

Aye, and they are all 'at it'. My tote board odds are constantly shifting and shuffling; and, as the Sonnet remarks - Not from the stars do I my judgement pluck - Amen to that. To keep a shirt on my back I must set the odds against all information, seasoned judgement, logical reasoning, past experience and fight against my own 'instincts; 'tis not an easy task. I could make my life easier by simply 'working' the book - shorten the odds against the favourite, stretch 'em a little to lure the unwary; or, keep it 'flat' and iron out the peaks and troughs. This would be fine were I making a living from it; but as a Choc Frog banker, we only play for 'pride' and love of the game.

“The Master said, “If your conduct is determined solely by considerations of profit you will arouse great resentment.”

For example - the Spence resignation question. I can, with surety, refine the discourse down to three racing possibilities. That she must 'resign' is a forgone conclusion; that was made clear at the last McDolittle indaba. Her total lack of 'control' of the front row, that she could be so easily ambushed combined with the panicked, stilted reading of a risible prepared statement pretty much bowled her out in the first innings, for a Duck. Many of the fellahin openly state a lack of faith in her ability to control, let alone lead the CASA pack out of the deeply entrenched system which provides unlimited power, without any form of challenge from the minister, Senator or independent inquiry. With impunity and legal elegance all inquiry is told to 'go boil your bottom'. Spence has now had a half year to ring in the changes - what have we got? Puff and Obfuscation in Spades, that's what. Resignation (pushed or shoved) is at odds on - 3/1 (on). (Risk three to win one). 'She-has-to-go' short odds favourite. 

"If Gladstone fell into the Thames, that would be a misfortune; and if anybody pulled him out, that, I suppose, would be a calamity

The 'Grim Reaper' is at shortening odds; many prepared to support the fanciful notion that the first class lifeboat (with the gold trimmed toilet seats) is slowly, but surely sinking. The whisper of 'heavy duty' Mandarins at work persists - DPM Joyce only needed to ask the right folk, back the honourable Biskin to the hilt, make his directive clear and sit back and watch the experts do their job. I'm not certain - still good odds as an each way 'dabble' - 6/1 as I look at 'the book'.

“But the days passed, and expectations gave way to resignation—the hopeless resignation of the old, sometimes miscalled apathy.”

One of the riskier items to set is the latest submission from CASA to the 20/20 McDolittle Inquiry. A cool 269 pages of 'justification' and highly suspect 'data' defining the CASA position on Community Service Flight (CSF) operations. It is a long, tedious narrative; with (IMO) more holes in the 'operational' cheese than can be counted. Even though the judgement was in the CASA favour - legally; it falls far short of defining exactly how the basic operational problems can be resolved. Two fatal accidents; both instances of pilots persisting into meteorological conditions neither they or the aircraft was capable of dealing with. CASA may have won the argument but fail, dismally, to address, let alone rectify the radical cause. In short; gods alone what the fiscal cost has been to win that - but how have they improved 'safety'? I'll post 100/1 odds against CASA providing any sort of 'safety' improvement to operational matters; increased engine and maintenance cost do not a safety resolution make - its Bollocks.  There has been repetitive instances of these accidents for a long while now; what have CASA done to prevent a re-occurrence; - SDA is the correct answer, not even a roadshow - (censored).

“If someone is able to show me that what I think or do is not right, I will happily change, for I seek the truth, by which no one was ever truly harmed. It is the person who continues in his self-deception and ignorance who is harmed.”

There is one 'small' item which I believe is worthy of some mention. The ATSB published a short report - HERE - which almost beggars belief. It begs but one simple question; where was the 'watchdog' - for a decade? I do not want me or mine flying in the same skies as the aircraft or pilot mentioned. Aircraft need maintenance of the regular variety to keep 'em airworthy. For a dedicated, black letter 'compliance' - big dollar outfit like CASA you could be forgiven for wondering what, in the seventh Hell they do to keep passengers and other aircraft safe. CASA have a massive budget, surely they could get out of the plush offices once in a while and actually check the maintenance status of actual aircraft, in real hangers on the few airfields we have left. Commercial GA understands the simplicity of 'serviceable' aircraft; but how many cockroaches are scampering about in the back of the hanger???

“Hector...boast while you may. The victory is yours, a gift from Zeus the Son of Cronos and Apollo. They conquered me...Listen to this and ponder it well. You too, I swear it, have not long to live. Already sovran Destiny and Death are very close to you, death at the hands of Achilles, the peerless son of Peleus”

Aye well; so much for the Bookies wee problems; it would be much simpler if we just adopted a rational. ICAO compliant rule set. The devil is in the details and it was a daemon wrote them into the Holy writ which our political, bipartinsane overlords are quite happy to support. To their collective everlasting shame.

“I don't believe anything's really inevitable until it happens. We just call it inevitable to make ourselves feel better about it, to excuse ourselves for not having done anything.

I have found the ultimate deterrent to 'excessive' walks in the bloody rain; the dogs have decided that DT's hairdryer is a 'thing' to be avoided whenever practicable. They decided it was better to be bored at home when its raining pick handles than be brought in and 'done' with the dread machine. Remarkable really; but not tonight. Duty to Aunt Pru done; no rain and a breeze to boot. Enough of the fools ramblings - Away dogs! Happily, I amble along behind looking forward to an illicit cigar and a few quite Ales, and a no bloody hairdryer evening.

Selah.-.

269 the number of the Iron Ring??

“..a cool 269 pages..” That is a number, and in that number a treatise of such detail, an incredible justification of the unjustifiable. Part of the game, crafting answers to the whole sorry story by an author who’s made a career out of writing clever inventions to give undertaker like cosmetics on the body of General Aviation.

But the number 269, same number of submissions to the Government’s 2014 Forsyth inquiry into the diseased body of GA, a body succumbing to Casarisis. (Ref link: https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/infras...ubmissions )

Was that number unconsciously inscribed into the brain of our author? Did that number of GA submissions, representing the enemy having expended much of its remaining force, shock his sensibilities?

No, It gave him a challenge to relish knowing that he would overcome that barrage of pleadings and fairly well deplete the last of rising hopes. Correctly as it has turned out, refer Ms Dolittle’s excuse for doing nothing to help GA. She decided to hold yet another inquiry (Senator McDonald’s two year, yes two weary years, drawn out GA inquiry, the RRAT, designed to finish just as the maelstrom of election frenzy hits). She had to plead for more submissions from the GA community. So much so she reprimanded us for lack of submission numbers. 

And now to quiet the fainter cries for help from the wheezing Casarisis riddled body of GA a new Statement of Expectations. Like a pillow presented for comfort but placed on the face not under the head. The SoE is so full of contradictions it can be whatever you power it to be and we still have nothing.

P2 addition, via ProAviation: http://proaviation.com.au/

Quote:[Image: proaviation.jpg]

ProAviation comments on ASRR report – July 30, 2014

Introduction

ProAviation further submits that notwithstanding any of the Panel’s recommendations, the new national aviation authority’s title should not include the word “safety,” which as far as we are aware is not part of the title of any other NAA in the world. This would therefore be in conformity with other NAAs, and would remove yet another aberration that is perceived as “uniquely Australian.” It is an embarrassment to an industry whose cornerstone is its safety culture, and the continued over-use of the word in the authority’s title and in its public affairs is an ongoing insult to the intelligence of the public, the Parliament and the industry both domestically and globally.

At this time, as amply confirmed by the ASRR’s observations, the interaction between the authority and industry renders their differences unacceptable, and even with a new chief executive and an enlarged board, the endemic problems, many identified in the review, cannot be resolved without major cultural change. This is a cultural issue and the leadership has gone to great lengths to inculcate this corruptive “them and us” mindset.

The Civil Aviation Act should be amended to give effect to a USA style of mandate for its Federal Aviation Administration where the FAA is responsible to “promote” aviation in every possible manner within its safety obligations.

Ref: https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/sites/...iation.pdf

[Image: sbg-20-02-22.jpg]
Ref: RRAT Estimates 14/02/22 - DIRDT&C (Aviation) https://minister.infrastructure.gov.au/j...e-recoveryhttps://www.kingston.vic.gov.au/Communit...ort-Safetyhttp://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...-estimates

Subliminal theatre?

(Or, Rule One - learn to differentiate between arse and elbow.)

It has been tough to follow Rule 1 this week; beginning with the 'bizarre' CASA Estimates hearing; seriously - how is one supposed to fathom those strange and wonderful going's on? I don't know where to even begin; but for the sake discussion, let us begin at the beginning. Enter Spence - stage left (sound off).

[Image: spence.jpg]

The requisite 'minuscule' is in attendance - as is Spence; where is the rest of the usual motley crew? Were the seating arrangements pre planned; to show that Spence is 'remote' (distant) from the top line heavies; or, to show that they are no longer 'important' enough to sit at the top table; or, was it that they just couldn't stand to be anywhere near her? Is there a schism? Is there a revolt? Is there a battle for supremacy and relevance? Who'd know, but 'twas passing strange. However, before we get to nut that out - McDolittle opens the batting.

[Image: mcdonald_estimates_14-feb2.jpg]

I need to digress here for a paragraph or two (maybe three)- a side bar if you will indulge me. Remember the first Spence appearance at Estimates; McDolittle almost salivating to welcome Spence; so bloody Chheearming - made you feel nauseous. Now that the 'golden girl' has shown how bloody useless she is, McDolittle has no hesitation is handing out the honeyed arsenic treats to a fallen idol. As the red queen oft said - 

Spence never was; or even likely to be the answer to a pagans prayer; never will be. A graceful, well paid exit any time soon will suffice. Three Estimates, three abysmal performances - industry tolerance levels off the scale. End of. But what of the McDolittle track record? Better than two years and no end in sight for Angel Flight; two years and counting, now she's all miffed because industry failed to supply another shed load of wasted time and effort; then, to top off a stellar failure - make the following statement on Hansard. 

CHAIR: If I can find one person who'll go on record as saying that they were told that, if they didn't sign a statement about this matter, they would be charged, then that's not okay.

Uhmm Senator - as you would be well aware without the protection of 'in camera' privilege and some iron clad guarantees that top draw protection will be made available; then those who can tell the shocking tales of CASA's unmitigated bastardy will not step up to your pie cart. Let me put this in context - Buckley has had a 65 - 70% dose of the CASA treatment. The real question which only McCormack can answer is an old one - Qui Bono from Buckley's destruction? We know, don't we children. One could, ruminatively ask who orchestrated that? The ones who have had the 100% (+) CASA  'treatment' would love to tell their stories to a reliable 'witness protection' system. In short Senator; neither you, nor any of your ilk have the bottle and horse power to face the truth - You don't want to hear 'the truth' : you couldn't handle, or believe it - let alone do anything about it. .

“An unbelieved truth can hurt a man much more than a lie. It takes great courage to back truth unacceptable to our times. There's a punishment for it, and it's usually crucifixion.” ― John Steinbeck, East of Eden

No matter - back to the Estimates session. Enter Monohand (one hand clapping) - along with him the spectre of the CASA ghost; much like Hamlet's - the one that keeps 'em awake at night. Vicarious Liability and all the hounds of a paranoid Hell that run with the ghost which haunts. What a duplicitous load of Bunkum is spouted in the name of 'the ghost'. The good Senator, (Mirrabella) familiar with Army matters boils it all down to good old fashioned common sense from 34:10 mark. He shot their boots off and exposes the real fear - can CASA be held accountable - ever? Well, when you are protecting a cool million dollar a year salary and may (by clever legal folk) possibly, be held accountable - well - what more needs to be said. By the way - in the interests of 'openness' just what is Monahan's secret (not disclosed) contract salary. Will McDolittle investigate and report? Nah, didn't think so. Gutless duplicity clear, plain and simple.

[Image: y5y4WAvx-1.jpg]

“In a word, I was too cowardly to do what I knew to be right, as I had been too cowardly to avoid doing what I knew to be wrong.”― Charles Dickens, Great Expectations

Which brings me back to the hapless Spence; and here, words fail. The Mum's at a junior school meeting may be 'impressed' by pastel shades, touchy feely platitudes and the death sentence signed 'best regards Pip'. Spence has to deal with a very, very angry (borderline furious) industry made up of men and women who are independent of the government teat, have no idea of Canberra etiquette or likely to respond to mother hood puff and bullshit. This is a classic example of rubbing the cats fur the wrong way - McDolittle has picked the pet and it's failed to bring home the mice; not only that but it's toothless, spineless, useless and far to used to treats being served on silver platters. A million a year - BOLLOCKS - Canberra fat cats can, will and often do bite the hand which feeds 'em. Aye well, there's an election looming - let's hope for the  best while expecting the absolute bloody worst.

"Mildly talented in a variety of ways but with no genuine ability in any one field, she was like me, the perennial hapless self-amused dilettante, half-worried by the slippage of time but determined to enjoy failure anyway."― Edward Abbey

Aye well; thirty years and international wonderment later - here I sit - wondering when a Minister will call it for what it is and simply start again - NZ laughing it's socks off while Australia is the socks being laughed at. But enough of the fools rambling. Time to pull an Ale and look over my handy work - another five bar,  three and a bit metre (10+ft old money) paddock gate. Spent the day with the Blacksmith - old school skill and modern equipment. Family business Father to son - I was given a brief introduction (by the Father) to how much difference the modern equipment makes in time and effort. Even so, remarkable skill.Tomorrow, with P7 and the dogs we shall fit that gate to it's new hinges; take some sandwiches and a flask; weather permitting spend a day in sunshine, fresh air and no internet - paradise. That's it, my glass is empty and my thirst pressing; sign off, find Ale, feet up. Ahhh!

Selah (albeit - still with NDI).