Snippets from around the traps

Boats, trains and aeroplanes.

I just wonder when the penny will drop; the one that chimes with just how much Australia has given away, essential stuff, which IMO, we should have held onto. It is a substantial list; alphabetically, you could begin with airports. Then there are our sea ports; both of which, for an island nation are pretty important.

But wait. there's more; we don't make petroleum products, steel etc and we don't manufacture a fair bit of the 'stuff' in general use. The only advantage to this of course is due to the small size of our 'armed' forces we don't need to produce much to support those who will defend this nation, should the need arise. This complacency is great for the opposition, should they decide to pay a visit, couple of days on the stock market should see bankruptcy looming, half a dozen well placed missiles a cheap investment, Bob's you Uncle, free resources, coal, gas, Uranium and a mountain of wind farm parts and solar panels. 

But not to worry; on the bright side of the score card 'Green' will become a thing of the past and the loss of freedom of speech will be beneficial in so may ways, no more question time theatrics my favourite.

Aye, there's so much to look forward to.

Toot toot.

General Aviation in Australia is living in a Hell created by CAsA's regulatory miasma. The head of CAsA legal pettifogging explanation as why they are the way they are perhaps shares the logic of this little snippet I picked up.

HELL EXPLAINED:
The following is an actual question given on a University of Arizona chemistry midterm, and an actual answer turned in by a student:
The answer by one student was so 'profound' that the professor shared it with colleagues, via the Internet, which is, of course, why we now have the pleasure of enjoying it as well:
Bonus Question: Is Hell exothermic (gives off heat) or endothermic (absorbs heat)?
Most of the students wrote proofs of their beliefs using Boyle's Law (gas cools when it expands and heats when it is compressed) or some variant.
One student, however, wrote the following:
First, we need to know how the mass of Hell is changing in time. So we need to know the rate at which souls are moving into Hell and the rate at which they are leaving, which is unlikely. I think that we can safely assume that once a soul gets to Hell, it will not leave. Therefore, no souls are leaving. As for how many souls are entering Hell, let's look at the different religions that exist in the world today.
Most of these religions state that if you are not a member of their religion, you will go to Hell. Since there is more than one of these religions and since people do not belong to more than one religion, we can project that all souls go to Hell. With birth and death rates as they are, we can expect the number of souls in Hell to increase exponentially. Now, we look at the rate of change of the volume in Hell because Boyle's Law states that in order for the temperature and pressure in Hell to stay the same, the volume of Hell has to expand proportionately as souls are added.
This gives two possibilities:
1. If Hell is expanding at a slower rate than the rate at which souls enter Hell, then the temperature and pressure in Hell will increase until all Hell breaks loose.
2. If Hell is expanding at a rate faster than the increase of souls in Hell, then the temperature and pressure will drop until Hell freezes over.
So which is it?
If we accept the postulate given to me by Teresa during my Freshman year that, 'It will be a cold day in Hell before I sleep with you,' and take into account the fact that I slept with her last night, then number two must be true, and thus I am sure that Hell is exothermic and has already frozen over. The corollary of this theory is that since Hell has frozen over, it follows that it is not accepting any more souls and is therefore, extinct........leaving only Heaven, thereby proving the existence of a divine being which explains why, last night, Teresa kept shouting "Oh my God."
THIS STUDENT RECEIVED AN A+

Some Aviation related humour... Big Grin

MTF...P2  Tongue

Green Murder - Ian Plimer 

Via Booktopia: https://www.booktopia.com.au/green-murde...49825.html

Quote:[Image: green-murder.jpg]

It has never been shown that human emissions of the gas of life drive global warming. Large bodies of science that don’t fit the narrative have been ignored by IPCC, COP and self-interested scientists paid by taxpayers. A huge subsidised industry of intermittent unreliable wind and solar electricity has been created based on unsubstantiated science. The same hucksters now want subsidised hydrogen, costly inefficient EVs, subsidised mega-batteries and other horribly expensive tried and failed schemes to impoverish people, create unemployment, transfer wealth and enrich China. Germany, Texas, California and the UK had a glimpse of Net Zero with blackouts, astronomically high electricity costs and hundreds of deaths. We once had reliable cheap electricity and now that governments have gone green, we are heading for hard economic times.

In this book I charge the greens with murder. They murder humans who are kept in eternal poverty without coal-fired electricity. They support slavery and early deaths of black child miners. They murder forests and their wildlife by clear felling for mining and wind turbines. They murder forests and wildlife with their bushfire policies. They murder economies producing unemployment, hopelessness, collapse of communities, disrupted social cohesion and suicide.

They murder free speech and freedoms and their takeover of the education system has ended up in the murdering of the intellectual and economic future of young people. They terrify children into mental illness with their apocalyptic death cult lies and exaggerations. They try to divide a nation. They are hypocrites and such angry ignorant people should never touch other people’s money.

The greens are guilty of murder. The sentence is life with no parole in a cave in the bush enjoying the benefits of Net Zero.

MTF...P2  Tongue

Harriet Hageman: "...We're fed up with??..."Wink

Via Youtube:

Hmm..."We're fed up with our 'law unto themselves', Big-R regulator CASA" -  Rolleyes

MTF...P2  Tongue

Interesting little "snippet" on Skynews Credlin tonight.
In terms of relevance think of CAsA's pogrom to shutdown Angel Flight.

In Ukraine in the middle of a war, GA Cessna's, bonanza's, Piper Aztecs and many more from Ukraine, Poland and elsewhere are flying into deadly danger to deliver vital humanitarian supplies and evacuate people in desperate need of medical care.
It perhaps illustrates when the Doo Doo hits the fan, who do you call? As angel flight in Australia has illustrated, despite our regulators best endeavours to shut them down, when the Doo Doo hits the fan, they are there doing what they do best. Raising a large middle finger to the bureaucrats and their obstructionism, they get on with the job as illustrated in the recent Lismore floods, saving lives.

The surprising thing I have discovered is just how vibrant the GA industry was in Ukraine, allegedly rather a poor country before the Russian invasion. Seems like GA was positively encouraged there, as opposed to Australia's regulatory suppression. We may come to rue the day.

The Green Hall of Shame -  Dodgy

Via the APH:

Quote:Freedom of Speech

ANTIC (South Australia) (13:32): History tells us that civilisations and empires are transitory. There are increasing signs now that Western culture has reached a tipping point. Left-wing activism supposedly based on equity, diversity and inclusion uses its allies in the media, the corporate sector and politics to prohibit any views it disapproves of. Too many of our modern leaders are not across this threat. They seem to think that defending our values is beneath them and that we have time on our side. We do not. Suicide and depression rates in our young people continue to skyrocket. We've failed to instil in them a sense of meaning and purpose, replacing it with empty modern ideologies like climate alarmism. On leaving school, young adults have little knowledge of history, the result of a curriculum denuded of Western history, replaced by critical race theory and a sense of victimhood.

Sadly, too many have cowered before these ideologies, afraid of being called the various isms and phobias, and they're wreaking havoc across the West. If a principled defence of liberty was ever needed in this country, it was over the past 2½ years, yet we were told that those concerned with freedom were dangerous extremists. We need more brave men and women to stand up for future generations of Australians and hand them a culture that is greater than the one left to us. The relative prosperity and peace we've enjoyed have allowed us to become complacent, thinking that such a decline couldn't happen here, but the time has come for our leaders to stand up for what is right. Without urgent, strong leadership the West is doomed.

Senator Thorpe: Why do you have to be so racist?

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT ( Senator O'Neill ): I just want to draw to the attention of senators that these are short statements of two minutes, and I do expect members to be heard without interruption.

Senator Thorpe: This is my workplace.

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Senator Thorpe, you are out of order. You need to contain your commentary to an appropriate standard for the Senate.

Senator Thorpe: I will not stand by—

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: You will not be heard.

Senator McGrath: On a point of order, a senator in this place just called another senator a racist, and I would ask for that to be withdrawn.

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: I think that's entirely reasonable. Senator Thorpe?

Senator Thorpe: I was stating a fact.

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Senator Thorpe, you must stand and withdraw.

Senator Thorpe: I'm not withdrawing, because it's a fact.

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Right, take your seat, Senator Thorpe. Turn off the microphone. I'll take some advice from the Clerk. Take your seat.

Senator Thorpe interjecting—

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Senator Thorpe, please resume your seat for a moment.

Senator Thorpe interj ecting—

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Senator Thorpe, I'm going to give you an opportunity to withdraw. Will you stand and assist the orderly business of the Senate by withdrawing?

Senator Thorpe: Can you tell me what happens if I don't?

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: No, I'm not going to tell you anything else. I'm going to ask you to stand and, for the benefit of the Senate and the orderly progress of business, for you to withdraw. Senator Thorpe.

Senator Thorpe: With all due respect, Acting Deputy President, could you please inform me what the ramifications would be for me to remove my remark about somebody being racist and me not feeling safe?

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: I don't want to give you a platform to repeat the terms that you've used.

Senator Thorpe: I need to know what the ramifications are. Could I seek advice?

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Turn off the microphone. Senator Thorpe, resume your seat. Senator Thorpe, you have the opportunity to assist the Senate by acceding to our standing orders and withdrawing a remark that was unparliamentary. That is what you are being asked to do. It doesn't remove it, but I am asking you, for the benefit of the Senate, to withdraw a remark that was not parliamentary. I'll take a point of order from you, Senator Faruqi.

Senator Faruqi: I want to raise this point of order. It has happened in this chamber before that often, when there is racism thrown around in this chamber, it is the people who raise the—

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDEN T: Senator Faruqi, please resume your seat for a moment. I just want to be clear that we're not going to reprosecute every time that offence has occurred in the chamber, and I don't think this historical contribution is assisting at this point. I need you as, a fellow member of this chamber, to advise your colleague about standing orders and principles. It would be appropriate for the senator to withdraw. If she is unable to take that on—

Senator Faruqi: I think people, when they are throwing around racism, need to be aware of what they are doing and how it's impacting on other people.

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Broadcasting, do not open the microphone unless I called the senator's name. Senator Faruqi, what is your point of order?

Senator Faruqi: My point of order is this: when decisions are made in this chamber, I think consideration needs to be given to the impact of comments from other senators on appropriateness and on racism.

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: I have to agree with you, Senator Faruqi, and that is why we have standing orders. So thank you for your point of order; please resume your seat. I am going to give you one final chance, Senator Thorpe, to withdraw your comment that was unparliamentary. You can either withdraw or you may not. What is your choice?

Senator Thorpe: With all due respect, I need to be pointed to where using the word 'racism' in this parliament—I need to know where it's unparliamentary because I don't understand. I'm feeling violated—

The ACTING DEPUTY PRESIDENT: Senator Thorpe, please resume your seat. I'm assuming that you are refusing to withdraw and so I will be reporting this matter to the Senate. You no longer have the call. We will return to the program because this has taken up the time of people who want to speak. Senator Faruqi, you have the call to make your contribution.\

UFB! - The intelligence on display from these 2 Greens make Pauline Hanson look like a rocket scientist... Sad

Next I note that the Greens didn't waste time jumping all over the death of the UK's beloved QEII (may she RIP!  Angel ):

Via Twitter:

Quote:Adam Bandt
@AdamBandt

Rest In Peace Queen Elizabeth II.

Our thoughts are with her family and all who loved her.

Now Australia must move forward.

We need Treaty with First Nations people, and we need to become a Republic.

And from Senator Faruqi:

Quote:Mehreen Faruqi
@MehreenFaruqi

Condolences to those who knew the Queen.

I cannot mourn the leader of a racist empire built on stolen lives, land and wealth of colonised peoples.

We are reminded of the urgency of Treaty with First Nations, justice & reparations for British colonies & becoming a republic.

Hmm...I second the PH tweet reply sentiments -  Wink

Quote:Pauline Hanson ??
@PaulineHansonOz

Your attitude appalls and disgusts me. When you immigrated to Australia you took every advantage of this country. You took citizenship, bought multiple homes, and a job in a parliament. It’s clear you're not happy, so pack your bags and piss off back to Pakistan. -PH

Finally to a put line under all this Green extreme woke, leftist,  virtual signaling bollocks, I refer to the following clear, concise and rational email correspondence from Senator Jacinta Nampijinpa Price:

Quote:Dear P2,

The woke left just hate being called out.

They hate it when they’re confronted with the logic and facts that destroy their paper-thin emotional arguments.

Instead of holding their ground, and arguing their positions they cry, “RACIST!”

It’s the quickest way to shut down a debate, right?

It’s a trick that Greens Senator Lidia Thorpe pulled in parliament this week.

She couldn't stand the sense made by my friend and colleague Senator Alex Antic, who was arguing that too many people live in fear of being labelled with an “-ism” or a “-phobia” by left-wing activists.

So how did Lidia respond? She jumped to her feet, interrupted him and cried "RACIST!"

“Why do you have to be so racist,” she said. “This is my workplace… I’m feeling violated.”

Yes, that’s what she ACTUALLY said.

There’s no way she heard the comments this week of Northern Territory Supreme Court judge Judith Kelly.

Justice Kelly said there is an “anti-racism” cult which wrongly labels people racist to shut them up.

As just one example, she said that in the NT over the past 22 years, two Aboriginal men had been shot by police.

Yet in the same time, some 65 Aboriginal women were killed by their partners.

This is what Justice Kelly had to say about it:

Everyone is willing to talk about the over-representation of Aboriginal men in prison. It has been called Australia’s shame and so it is. But, as I have said before, the stream of Aboriginal men going to prison is matched by a steady stream – a river – of Aboriginal women going to the hospital and to the morgue. It is an epidemic of extreme domestic violence...

Where is the wall-to-wall media coverage for those women?

Where are the protests from Labor and the Greens and their woke inner-city mates?

They’re busy screaming “RACIST!” every time someone points out a problem and offers a REAL solution.

You and I need to keep speaking the truth, even if the woke left call us racists.

Justice Kelly is absolutely correct.

There is an “anti-racist” ideology spreading in this country that denies what's going on in remote communities.

It denies the voices of victims and it’s the reason why the violence keeps happening.

The woke left want to trap Indigenous Australians into a permanent state of victimhood.

They think that what goes on in our communities has to do with the colour of our skin, so if you do stand up and point out that the emperor has no clothes, then you're somehow racist.

We have to stop that rhetoric, because it's poisonous, it's divisive and it contributes to the demise of our most vulnerable.

It’s not racist to see the REAL problems and call for REAL solutions.

Just as I finished writing, I saw the news that Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II has died peacefully at Balmoral.

I wonder what she would’ve made of all this.

Her Majesty was a remarkable monarch who dedicated her life to serve not only the Commonwealth but the world – and she had a special relationship with Indigenous Australians.

She was a leader and stateswoman who united us. She brought people together, she never divided them.

Our leaders should turn to her for inspiration on how to unite us as a nation, rather than divide us by race.

Rest in Peace, Your Majesty.

And may God save the King!

MTF...P2  Tongue

Left Wing virtual signalling (on the voice and net zero) undone with pragmatism and facts Wink   

Via email:

I was elected by the people of the Northern Territory and the Aussies of ALL backgrounds who live there to represent EVERYONE who calls this great country home.

But Albo’s proposed “Voice to Parliament” is set to undermine that democratic process.

It’s divisive, racially driven and vague at best, and I can’t get on board with that – and I've got a feeling you agree with me.

To stop it, it’s going to take all of us standing together to block its path.

It’s going to take you and I talking to our families, our friends and our colleagues to explain just how harmful and damaging this idea is.

To help, here are five plain and simple reasons Australia needs to say NO to the Voice.

1. Racial Division

No one can deny that it will create a constitutional division. Indigenous and non-Indigenous. Decades of work on ‘reconciliation’ and progressing beyond racial differences undone in a single moment.

The Voice will permanently assign one group with special constitutional recognition based on nothing more than racial heritage.

Forever ‘othered’, it’ll be us and them forever, never one people.

2. It’s Undemocratic

Albo’s been vague about his plans for the Voice, but his plans for the referendum propose a clause in the constitution that would allow parliament to decide how it works.

It’s a mystery ticket. He decides how it works and who runs it. More bureaucratic appointments, more Canberra politicians making decisions for Indigenous Australia without consultation.

The Voice, supposedly designed for Indigenous consultation, can simply be appointed without Indigenous consultation.

3. Indigenous Australia is diverse

Before settlement, Aboriginal Australia had no political or governing system, no overarching national institutions. It was a collection of roaming peoples. Each Mob was (and is) unique, with sometimes similar and sometimes different customs.

Today, the spectrum on which Indigenous Australians live is broader than ever. I reckon I have more in common with white fellas from Alice than I do with Indigenous Aussies from inner-city Melbourne. 

How could one, bureaucratically appointed voice possibly represent all of us? It couldn’t.

4. “It’ll have no real power”

They claim this will simply be an “advisory body” with “no real power”, but good luck to the person who tries to say no to the Voice.

Can you imagine Albo saying no to an Indigenous Voice to Parliament? They will have such influence and control over both political parties that, in effect, whoever runs “the Voice” will have a veto over the government.

Whichever unelected bureaucrat has sway over the PM, has significant control of the country.

5. The debate will be divisive

No matter the outcome, Australia will be worse off just for having the argument.

This is a debate with one side immediately labelled racists for opposing poor, undemocratic, race-based governance.

If the Voice is successful, Australia is stuck with a bureaucracy accountable to no-one. If unsuccessful, they scream about disunity and label the majority as racists. Either way, Australia is worse off, and nothing’s done to help anyone.

We have REAL problems that require REAL solutions.

The Voice is nothing more than a damaging distraction that has already set our country back.

Together we must stop it.

We must flush it, and get to work repairing the damage already done, and finally get to work addressing the REAL problems facing vulnerable Australians of ALL backgrounds.

Yours for REAL solutions,

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price
Senator for the Northern Territory

And from the Senate Chamber (legend) Senator David Fawcett, via Youtube:

MTF...P2  Tongue

Senator Price is the best, a person of courage and commonsense. Her Country Liberal Party, The Territory Party, would do well to find for her a House of Representatives seat that could lead to her candidacy for PM.

A divisive race based element in our Constitution is a truly extraordinary concept, that it could surface and be treated as a serious possibility is incredible.

But then we remember back to 1988 when Labor Transport Minister Gareth Evans declined the Westminster tradition of Ministerial responsibility by having the administration of aviation handed to a new unelected Commonwealth corporation (now CASA). We all know the disastrous consequences of that unthinking action, the 3/4 destruction of Australia’s once growing General Aviation (GA) industry, of particular detriment to the regions and far flung communities.

Less obvious is the overall loss of GA services, training, maintenance and manufacturing jobs and infrastructure throughout the Nation contributing to loss of that strength so important to our prosperity and National security.

And we remember back to 2009 when another Labor Transport Minister did the same for the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, kicking it out of his Ministry with the stupid idea that the arms of government can be hived off to independent experts who will altruistically carry out the wishes of government with great efficiency at lowest cost with only the most arms length and tentative influence by Parliament.

Poor performance of the new ATSB body was inevitable. At the behest of one Parliamentary Committee, following one ATSB fault ridden accident report, the Canadian Transportation Board produced a highly critical report of its Australian counterpart. Today’s independent ATSB has a very poor reputation in GA circles. Which Minister?
A. Albanese.

Lovely fellow but deluded, head in the stratosphere or buried in sand. Take your pick.

Yours for REAL solutions -  Wink

Via the AP email chains:

We’ve seen this game before, a move straight out of the leftist playbook.

“Give us what we want or you’re sexist/racist/transphobic… just generally bigotted.”

Of course it’s almost never true, it’s just a leftie distraction technique to cover up for half-baked policy and empty virtue signalling. 

Like the Voice. 

Already the left know they’re backing an empty vessel. A nice sounding idea without substance, use or need. 

They’re already preparing their emotional blackmail to try and guilt well-meaning Aussies into voting for it. 

One opinion writer even said: “What will be the consequences if the referendum fails? … The bottom line is that Indigenous souls would be broken.”

Ah yes. Support the Voice or break us forever – we’re that fragile!

Well what this bloke – and everyone arguing for the Voice – doesn’t seem to get is that no one – not you, not me, not ANYONE – could ever speak for all the “Indigenous souls”, and how they’d all react.

There are too many of us, living in many different circumstances, with many different backgrounds, in many different places. 
We are all unique, we are individuals with our own ideas, opinions and voices – we do not all think the same way.

We are not all the same, waiting for guilty white Australians to pity, protect and patronise us. 

What unites us is that we are all Australians. 

We have our own voices and we’ve been using them for a while now. 

So as the ads roll out, the op-eds heat up and Albo struts out more African-American spokesmen, keep an eye out for more leftist guilt tripping. 

They want you to think that by opposing their radical position you’re nothing more than a racist and privileged bigot.

They want you to forget that the Voice is divisive and dangerous, they want you to forget the lack of detail they’ve provided, they want you to forget that you’re allowed a say in the future of your country. 

They want you to forget so that they can do what they want, and they’ll use emotional blackmail to do it. 

And while they’re figuring out which name to call you, REAL Australians will continue suffering from the REAL problems that the elites are ignoring.

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price

MTF...P2  Tongue

Senator Price is a breathe of fresh air, she’s a person who has the courage of her convictions. No matter what side of politics one might be, her point of view has one strong element that will be hard to deny.

That is the unity of all Australians.

I’m hoping she will will be persuaded to help our bureaucratically depressed General Aviation industry, certainly GA is very important to the Northern Territory. If she is supported by GA people throughout Australia this will strengthen her call for unity and raise awareness of the necessity to disband CASA and place aviation into a Department of government with a responsible Minister, as is the proven Westminster system. Supporters can sign up on her website.

Tom's Eagle. (A twiddle)..

I don't imagine that the 'subject' will ever be included in a pilot training syllabus; or, if the folk law and general practice can ever be formalised into a comprehensive format. There is a good case to support this notion, the cost of producing a manual or even a short video probably on a par with the cost of the time the ATSB commissioner wasted rabbiting on about a simple matter of a bird strike and an out of control 'drone'. If you need a 'headline' case to prove the pudding, note the silence surrounding the increase in TIBA operations and the 'look-at-me' blather spouted over what are 'routine' events. But, although unintentional contact with 'wild life' can and does cause the odd problem or two (look no further than 'Sully' and his encounter with wildlife _HERE_) I can't see why some form of 'advice' cannot be made generally available, as part of 'improved' hazard awareness. It beats seven bells out of meaningless twaddle in the media. The FAA have taken the 'problem' seriously enough and are doing something about it – HERE_.

Strange as it may seem to city folk, there are many varieties of local wild and domestic life which can really spoil your day; they are part and parcel of every day life in the air, particularly to non scheduled operations into minor airfields. Statistically, contact events don't rate as a 'major' threat, which probably explains why the 'subject' has never been formally recognised; but the results of a chance meeting can be lethal at worst, costly and scary at best. The potential for an 'incident' comes in two flavours; land based and airborne.

Land based are probably (on balance) the most lethal; but also the rarest. Two 'busy' times for those flying – early morning take off into the sun/ mist/dust /rain and evening, just on dusk landing into crepuscular light, dust and fatigue an element. Two or three Kangaroos belting across the runway at 20 knots as you thread the needle between first and last at speed (surface, brakes and nose wheel?). Cattle that just wont move. especialy when fuel is low and night is approaching; donkeys another cunning, hard to see road bump that will seriously spoil you day. Yes, we have stock fences, mostly well maintained but animals are not as dumb as some would have you believe; not by a long shot they ain't. Chances of a close encounter, in the bush, higher than you may think. We ran some numbers from 'non scheduled' operating days: a 'Jesus saves' event once in every 5,000 hours; a 'Duck me' moment once every 1500 hours and a 'would ya look at that' event just a tick over once every twelve month. Statistically insignificant, unless it is you at the wheel.

The airborne group is  (pardon the expression) an altogether different animal. Most pilots can, with ease spot the difference between cow, camel, donkey and kangaroo; and, probably anticipate the actions of either. But knowledge of the 'behaviour' and responses of avian species is limited. It was discussion of Tom's Eagle which kicked off this ramble; well, that and the pompous Popinjay banging on about 'bird strike'. I doubt he could tell a Wedge Tail from a Buzzard if it bit him on the arse. However, it probably matters that pilots have a least a rough working knowledge of the way 'Birds' operate and interact with aircraft. Particularly the larger species; their habitat, habits and 'working patterns'. Watch the Gulls at the beach front working a patch of spilled chips (fries); sure they'll move away, but then – circle back to the food – every time, it comes from hunting, ruthless determination to return, no matter the threat. Proof? Oh, that's easy watch the man at Mascot with the shot gun; he blasts away, the Gulls bugger off – he departs the fix and back troop the birds. You can almost imagine the conversation - “he's back Gladys, best round up the kids”  “honestly Charlie, I don't see why we have oblige this ugly machine and noise every hour or so.” - “Just think of it as rent Dear; mutual preservation; come on, two quick laps of the airfield, just the thing before lunch”...........

But, what of the not so obliging? Things like Wedge Tail eagles, Swans, Pelicans, Sea Eagles, Emu's and half a dozen other 'big birds'. Google remains a stalwart friend; their size, weight, habits and much else is all freely available and worth a quiet hour study. Seeing as how the noisy Popinjay has weighed in on a 'bird strike' and the potential hazard to helicopter operations from Wedge Tails, I thought it may be worthwhile to mention some things Google omits from its worthy information pages; from the pilot's perspective. First item – the bird itself – HERE - .

Item next – as you can see, this is a large 'dark' coloured bird with a very large wing span and pretty easy to spot, on the wing. There it hovers, effortlessly watching for prey you could assume; true, but wait, there's more. Nothing in the skies challenges this master of air – nothing; it just ain't scared of you and not about to loose the prime position adopted; often over the same spot – it ain't going to move. See and avoid your responsibility. The bird is hostile to 'invaders' – ask the members of the Darwin model aircraft club (terrific venue) about the carnage as two or three 'Wedgies' decide that the intruder must be seen off; the clumsy attempts to out fly these masters by ground based folk is almost laughable; result – machines shredded, birds doing aerial 'high fives' – wishing they could eat what they've killed.  Pelicans another worthy adversary; once prey is spotted from the circling area - and the dive commenced, it is prudent to move aside. Swans, just after take off accelerating through V2 to V4 will rarely alter course – for some very valid aerodynamic reasons; and, it must be remembered that the 'Cob' is particularly fearless and reluctant to give way to an aggressor.

But I have digressed and probably bored the fellahin rigid; all TOM's fault. It was the yarn of his most treasured acquaintance with Wedge Tail that started this ramble (well, that and his 'observations' on our Popinjay's waffle). Many, many years ago, as a young fellah, TOM flew a regular service into a valley, surrounded by some rugged country. One day he spotted the Wedge Tail (WT) parked at altitude over a prominent feature; effortless and amazing (30 knot headwind that day and 'bumpy' low down). The airframe was 'nudged' over a little to get a better look; there they were – eye-ball to eye ball for a fleeting moment. This became a regular event, much anticipated and enjoyed; but, TOM always 'blinked' first and peeled away. The best part of the yarn is the day he had a visiting travel journalist in the right seat; descending through cloud TOM nudged the journo and pointed to a spot on the wind screen “Watch there” and just as they cleared to cloud base – there was TOM's Eagle in a sunbeam, on time, on station – Good morning old friend whispered TOM as the journo sat in stunned silence – until later - “Wow etc. etc” and that journo never forgot the memory until he sadly passed away, a life long friend, still missed to this very day.

Enough – ramble over; with apologies to those who don't 'get it'..

Toot – toot..

Yours for REAL solutions: 21/10/22

Via the AP emails:

It’s the biggest myth proponents of the Voice want you to believe, that Aboriginal Australians all think the same.

It’s disgusting, harmful, and manifestly untrue.

The architects of the Uluru Statement claim it was the largest consensus of Aboriginal people to support a proposal in our history. Maybe it was, but it’s both laughable and deeply insulting to suggest this as a justified representation of Aboriginal Australians.

Aboriginal Australians make up 3.2 per cent of the entire Australian population. So that’s 250 signatures out of a total Aboriginal population of 812,728.

It DOES NOT represent a large consensus.

Even when 1000 Aboriginal people were consulted through the process, that’s only a tiny fraction of the total population and NOT EVERYONE agreed with the process or outcome.

Australians of European heritage make up 57.2 per cent of the Australian population – that’s 14,809,522 people. Using Uluru Statement logic, that’s like 4442 unelected representatives signing a proposal on behalf of the entire population of nearly 15 MILLION AUSTRALIANS.

No one would accept that as legitimate representation.

We do not treat any other race of Australians in this manner, so why then are we as people of Aboriginal heritage being subjected to blatantly racist segregation in this way?

The woke left wants to guilt Australians in to supporting a move that would enshrine racial segregation into the Australian Constitution, and they’re using the Uluru Statement to do it.

The Uluru Statement DOES NOT represent all Aboriginal Australians by any stretch of the imagination.

EVERY VOICE IS A VOICE!

Like every other Australian, Indigenous Australians have their OWN VOICE and they’re capable of using it!

Keep your patronising, woke virtue signalling to yourself, keep racial segregation OUT of the constitution, and get on with the REAL solutions to the REAL problems!

Jacinta Nampijinpa Price

MTF...P2  Tongue

Butting in – But, I hope the good (very good) Senator likes Choc Frogs and Tim – Tams in a box decorated with a very large Gold star. No praise high enough for this lady – a true blue, dinky di, ridgey didge Australian. How I wish there were more (many more ) like her running the shop. Respect, Kudos and support (humble though it be) to this fine lady. Well spoken and bang on the nail head. Bravo..

Popinjay to the RESCUE -  Rolleyes

(Better late than never - Blush

In the process of doing some research online (tasked by Aunty Pru) I came across the following good news/Samaritan tale... Smile 

Quote:Watch this morning's rescue of a kangaroo from Lake Burley Griffin

21 September 2021 | Damien Larkins

[Image: kangaroo-rescuers-lake-burley-griffin-canberra.png]

While the kangaroo seemed glad to be out, it went back in the freezing lake two more times. Photo: David Boyd.

A kangaroo has been rescued three times in one morning from the freezing waters of Lake Burley Griffin in Canberra.

Members of the public came across the shivering marsupial in waters by the Captain Cook fountain around 5:30 am on Tuesday.

The temperature in Canberra was -1.5 degrees at the time, according to the Bureau of Meteorology, with an apparent temperature of -6 degrees.

Former Navy officer Angus Mitchell was cycling by the scene, stopped and sprang into action.

“Myself and another guy just went in and got him out,” he told Region Media. “We got him out and he was fine.

“I then came back about half an hour later and he’d jumped back in again, so with another guy, we got him out again.

“We had to get him out about three times until the rangers came.”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51uMShC7...b_err_woyt

It was Mr Mitchell’s first ride in Canberra since recently arriving from Brisbane to take up his new role as Chief Commissioner of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

“Fortunately, it was quite shallow there. I had no idea how deep the lake was,” he says.

“He was pretty intent on getting back into the lake. He was obviously very panicky and it was freezing in there. He was a bit hypothermic as well, I think.”

Rescuing wildlife from freezing waters isn’t something Mr Mitchell usually does, but he’s taking it all in stride.

“The fact that he came over to us, he did want to get out, but there was nowhere for him to be able to,” he says.

“Hopefully, he’ll get released somewhere a little bit warmer for him and he’ll be fine.”

Defence recruiter David Boyd was out on his daily walk around the lake and filmed the rescue.

“He was absolutely shivering and obviously in distress,” he says.

“While I was on the phone … these two gentlemen rocked up and basically started stripping off.”

The kangaroo rescue drew quite a crowd.

“He got a bit of a fan club. He had a few people hanging around looking at him and talking to him,” he says.

Mr Mitchell says the rangers were going to release the kangaroo somewhere away from the lake.

MTF...P2  Tongue

The BRB have spoken.

It all started with an aside; one of the founding members (good hand at darts) and his family, based in Sydney are 'frequent flyers' on the Sydney Harbour Ferries. As long time 'users' they know quite a few of the regular ground crew and pick up all kinds of gossip about the ferry system, its operations and, he being an aircrew type, is naturally interested in the 'operational' side, maintenance and general 'safety' culture of the operation. It seems, there are some fairly 'curly' questions being mooted about the general state of some of the 'new' boats; steering and damage due to constant pounding and some ugly half truths about the 'quality' of the welding which holds the boat together. All idle rumour and fit only for casual conversation at the Pub.

However, it became a BRB talking point, mostly through Jumbo skipper who was 'impressed' by the sheer number of passengers carried on a daily basis and the size of the loads shifted – on a daily basis. It was quite a natural pathway for 'pilots' to identify with the Commanders of a vessel which carries a load equivalent to a Jumbo; the qualifications and responsibilities of command being comparable.

It takes a degree of skill to bring an aircraft over an ocean and to park it neatly at the air-bridge with 400 souls on board; it would be a horror story if the steering failed and the aircraft ploughed into that air-bridge and (gods forbid) the aircraft caught fire or there was passengers waiting to be boarded. It is not to be contemplated – end of. The ground steering system, as important to safety as the in flight 'steering' system must be fully functioning and as well maintained as the aircraft itself. It all matters.

The tales of woe in the media, and some pretty good handling skills have prevented, thus far, a fully loaded ferry colliding with a fully loaded dock; due to a 'failure' of the primary steering system. Any form of steering failure whether it be a Semi trailer, Bus, Train, Ferry or 747 has the potential to be catastrophic. No one wants that amount of weight and speed (momentum) out of control limits. It begs the question; should the maintenance, structural and operational integrity of a ferry carrying 400 people be at a less standard than that demanded, world wide, from an aircraft doing essentially the same job. That of delivering folk to their destination – in one piece.

The BRB say that there are great similarities between those who work on the water and those who work in the air; in terms of the safe delivery of whatever is behind the flight deck door. To do this, the 'machine' must be fit for purpose and maintained to the best standard possible; to avoid the carnage and subsequent fall out and embarrassment, not to mention the legal cost of the aftermath.

Anyway, FWIW should any of the sea going brethren care to drift in for an Ale or two (even three) and a hand at darts anytime; they'd be more than welcome.

Toot – toot.

Emerald Class Gen II suffers another steering failure??

Via Facebook:

Quote:Ben Blake

Emerald Class information!

I have been told by a reliable source that Gen 2 Emerald ”Fairlight” suffered problems with her steering this morning. I do not have the specifics  on the steering issues but she’s been out of service berthed at wharf 2 since around 8 this morning.

Balmoral entered service later in the day and continued to to the Manly run up until around 11:30am where she stopped at wharf 4 and went out of service for a little while. As of writing this she is currently on the F7 Double Bay run. I do not know why this is or if it has any relation to Fairlight’s problems.

Clontarf has been in Balmain since around the time Fairlight reentered service. I believe this is just scheduled maintenance like the work that was performed on Fairlight earlier in the month.

As of writing this 3 Gen 1 Emeralds are filling in for the Gen 2s and MV Collaroy is running every hour. (Im on her as I write this) Freshwater is still sitting idle at Balmain but this is probably due to the fact that there wouldn’t be enough time to create a new timetable to include Freshwater.

So yeah thats all the info I have I wonder if more details will come out about the problems on Fairlight. I trust Chris Cowper will be on it if he finds out any information. We’ll just have to wait and see.

(Ok literally as I posted this Chris Cowper posted some more info! Check out his post! https://www.facebook.com/groups/savemanl...tid=S66gvF)
(Also I’m not 100% sure everything I’ve said is correct. This is just what I have heard so far. I’ll update if any new information comes out.)

[Image: 316102619_462606055980345_31902553101277...e=637E5489]

Chris Cowper

STOP PRESS. STOP PRESS. STOP PRESS. Again.
"FAIRLIGHT" has another STEERING FAILURE.

Whilst crossing the open water of Sydney Heads on the 0840 ex Manly trip this morning, French owned Transdev's Chinese built Gen II Emerald, "Fairlight", had another STEERING FAILURE.

Steering at all three stations was lost!

Her Master didn't  have any back up steering.

"Fairlight" was doing about 22 knots. (44.74 kph)

He stopped  his vessel.

Eventually, her highly experienced Master and Engineer were able to get steering again and after testing the system, continue to Circuar Quay without further incident.

What would have happened if a fisherman or some kids in a tinnie, had cut in front of the ferry (as happens frequently) and her Master had to alter his course urgently?

There could have been  multiple fatalities.

How about if the Master had to make a small alteration to his course when berthing?

There could have been multiple injuries to passengers & crew and damage to poor, not so old, "Fairlight".

Interestingly, on Monday "Fairlight" was trialled with AMSA Staff on board.

AMSA, and Transdev, declared "Fairlight" to be safe to operate  and able to re-enter service.

It seems Transdev, who call themselves "proud operator of Sydney Ferries" and Birdons, the company  contracted to supply the Gen II Emeralds,  are incompetent, or incapable of rectifying these potentially fatal steering problems.

I think the time has come for the Chinese made steering systems to be ripped out and to be completely replaced with Australian designed and made, fit for purpose, steering systems.

My former workmates particularly the Ferry Masters, who crew Gen II Emeralds,  should not have the stress of turning up for work not knowing if they will have a steering failure and be involved in a collision or grounding on their shift.

Transdev can ring me and I'll give them the phone number a someone who could start the job on Monday.
"Fairlight" is tied up at Circular Quay. "Clontarf" is at BSY for 2 weeks for warranty work.

"Balmoral" has been put on the Watson's Bay run, while Aussie built Inner Harbour Gen I Emeralds are assisting  "Collaroy" on the Manly run.

How can a Gen II Emerald  not be safe to run to Manly, but safe enough to run to Watson's Bay?

Particularly, now the channel south of Fort Denison is closed to Commercial Vessels until 15th December, forcing both  north and south bound traffic into the same area.

Perhaps RMS should station a BSO in this area 24/7 until December 15.

Why haven't  Transdev or AMSA pulled all 3 Gen II Emeralds from service.

Will Ferry Masters have to stick their necks out and once again do AMSA's work?

[Image: 316103862_5540410116078368_5355122512647...e=637EE4AD]

MTF...P2  Tongue

Parallels and Parables. - HERE-.

So, a faultless, text book landing on 16 at Sydney after a long haul from LA – 400 souls behind the cockpit door; engage the steering and exit the runway onto the taxiway – then the steering quits. Brakes on – call for a tug – ATC closes the taxiway and apart from a little inconvenience to other aircraft no big drama. Had the failure occurred during docking at the air bridge – different story all together. The aircraft at best, would be out of service for a good while – probably the air-bridge as well. The response from the company would be quick, certain and very thorough. The why and the how of it would be closely examined. The fault identified, investigated and any part of the system not up to spec would be replaced. If it was suspected that there was a fleet wide 'problem' then modifications would be made on a global scale.

But, an aircraft control event 'on the ground' whilst serious and potentially dangerous is only over a short period of operation; however, aircraft, much like ships spend most of their time operating in the environment they were designed for – air or water. Just imagine the headlines if a crew had 'steering' difficulties airborne, with 400 folk in the back....

That is the situation the masters of the Sydney Harbour ferries face; on a regular basis it seems. Skill, knowledge and luck have prevented, thus far a serious accident. The harbour, particularly on a fine week end is a very, very busy waterway. All manner of floating objects, from kayaks through to ocean liners, tankers and container carriers. The ferries clip along at 20 odd knots through this traffic between dockside loading platforms; potentially hundreds to off load and a load. Not to mention other ferries doing the same thing at Circular Quay. The 'fine' control needed to park an aircraft is just as essential in a ferry; the similarities finite.

The only difference, in safety terms is that if a recurrent (or one off even) system failure was discovered in an aircraft it would be sorted our before anything flew again. The history of the ferries steering problems has been dragging on for a good long while now, repeat events and patch up repairs a feature.

Here's a state gabberment which can agonise over which flag to hang off the bloody bridge and spend a cool 25 million to put another one up there; but can't find the time or interest to sort out a serious 'safety' issue and guarantee the thousands who travel daily on the ferries a safe passage. This is a recurrent failure of a critical system. A steering problem, one which could manifest at any tick of the clock and – potentially – harm those folk and/or the infrastructure and/or other vessels. Not good enough is it? Not really.

I say the same rigorous maintenance standards that apply to passenger carrying aircraft must be applied to the ships doing essentially the same work. If they imagine 'safety' is expensive; try having an accident.

[Image: Jenny38057-poster.jpg]

Courtesy MattO - Minister for NSW Transport Safety... Wink 

Via SMH:

Quote:New Manly ferry suffers another steering failure near Sydney Heads

[Image: f93dc42018f69321c3668f4d123ba4818e7b7dab]

Matt O'Sullivan
November 20, 2022 — 2.12pm

A new Manly ferry has suffered another steering failure near the entrance to Sydney Harbour less than two months after a similar incident forced the operator to urgently pull the catamaran and two sister vessels from service.

Multiple sources said the Fairlight’s steering system failed near Sydney Heads on Saturday morning while carrying passengers from Manly to Circular Quay.

Control of the steering was eventually restored and the ferry continued onto Circular Quay, but the vessel has since been pulled from service and tied up at the Balmain shipyards.

[Image: d2cb939f6c09f70ef632be6c7bc0a0a87db3d192]
The Fairlight ferry is tied up at the Balmain shipyards on Sunday after suffering another steering failure.CREDIT:EDWINA PICKLES

The second-generation Emerald-class ferry had only just been cleared to resume passenger services early last week after almost two months out of operation.

The Fairlight had a steering failure near Fort Denison in late September, a day after a sister vessel – the Clontarf – suffered the same problems, forcing French company Transdev, which operates the government-owned ferry fleet, to pull all three new Manly ferries from service.

Transdev confirmed that the Fairlight experienced a “system issue” while carrying 42 passengers on Saturday morning, and said an investigation was underway to determine the root cause of the problem.

“Fairlight returned to service last week after obtaining clearance from the Australian Maritime Safety [Authority]. At this stage, there is no evidence that this problem is related to previous steering issues which occurred in late September,” the company said.

[Image: ae521b37b59fc177fef79bce69df88dac40d0fa5]
The three new Manly ferries were initially withdrawn from operation on September 26.CREDIT:OSCAR COLMAN

Labor transport spokeswoman Jo Haylen said the government and safety authorities needed to determine the cause of the steering failures before a serious safety incident occurred.

“This is now beyond a joke. The government told the public they had found and fixed the cause of the periodic steering failures that have plagued these overseas-built ferries after they’d been grounded for weeks,” she said.

The Australian Maritime Safety Authority said it had been notified of the Fairlight’s steering failure on Saturday and would be working with the operator to identify and fix the problem before the vessel was returned to service.

“Based on information provided to AMSA, the latest failure is different in nature from the previous failures,” the regulator said.

Action for Public Transport spokesman Graeme Taylor said the three second-generation Emerald-class ferries should be grounded until there was a clear diagnosis of the latest steering failure.

“The potential for injury and fatality is really high because you never know when it is going to lose control,” he said.

The three new ferries are at the centre of a fierce debate over whether they can handle large swells as capably as the larger Freshwater-class vessels they are designed to replace on the Manly-Circular Quay route.

The government plans to retire two of the four Freshwater ferries.

The Narrabeen has been mothballed while the Collaroy is slated for retirement next year, leaving just the Freshwater and the Queenscliff, which is undergoing major work in a dry dock at Sydney’s Garden Island.

Taylor said an expected surge in demand over summer highlighted the need to keep a third Freshwater-class vessel as a back-up ferry to handle the crowds.

The problems dogging the new ferries come as the government offers commuters fare-free train travel this week in a move aimed at avoiding rail workers taking major industrial action, which would have crippled Sydney’s public transport network.

The fare-free travel from Monday until late Friday applies only to Sydney Trains, NSW TrainLink and Sydney Metro services. People who travel on ferries, buses and light rail will continue to be charged.

MTF...P2  Tongue

Supreme Court agrees on $33 million BHI TAFE (Soar) payout -  Wink

Via the Age:

Quote:Box Hill Institute to pay $33 million to former aviation students in landmark case

Nicole Precel
December 1, 2022 — 4.02pm

Box Hill Institute has agreed to pay $33 million to more than 500 former aviation students in a landmark Supreme Court settlement.

Gordon Legal launched a class action in March 2020 on behalf of about 550 students who were unhappy with the aviation diploma they studied at the institute between December 2015 and March 2020.

[Image: c704000176f2f98c8fa7ea92547839208d1521a3]

Plus via the Yaffa:

Quote:Supreme Court approves Soar Payout

2 December 2022

[Image: soar-hq_mb1.jpg]

The Supreme Court of Victoria has approved a $33 million settlement in a class action brought by Diploma of Aviation students of Box Hill Institute (BHI).

The class action, brought by Gordon Legal on behalf of former students of BHI and training provider Soar Aviation, was settled out of court in September, and approved by Justice Dixon of the Supreme Court last month.

"This settlement is a huge relief for me and all the other group members in this class action,” said Representative Plaintiff, Nerita Somers.

“To have achieved such a positive outcome is a credit to the hard work of everyone involved. I’m glad this matter is now behind us all."

According to court documents, the plaintiffs contended that Box Hill TAFE:
  • did not have BAK material that enabled the students to reach CASA standards
  • set exam standards were too low
  • had no system of monitoring student progress
  • tried to persuade or require students to join RAAus and get a pilot certificate and then convert it to an RPL, bypassing CASA's minimum standards for RPL
  • did not have a sufficient number of flying instructors available, resulting in a lack of training continuity, regularly canceled lessons and poor retention of training.

The court action concluded that it was never possible under these circumstances for students to gain a CPL within the time frame promised.

The settlement reached contains no admission of liability on behalf of BHI.

"This settlement is an excellent result for the class action group members who turned to Gordon Legal for help to pursue their claims," said Gordon Legal partner Andrew Grech.

"We are pleased to have achieved this settlement for our clients and look forward to providing group members who have decided to participate in the Settlement Scheme with closure after what has been a stressful time for them."

Former students of the BHI/Soar diploma who need more information about the settlement scheme can contact Gordon Legal on 03 9603 3000 or e-mail bhisoar@gordonlegal.com.au.

MTF...P2  Tongue

P7 does Sunday.

A day off; for the 'boy's.'And, a wee history lesson. They need a break do P2, P9 and a couple of the other 'backroom' crew; a weekend off once a while does no harm. There's nothing of any great significance occurring in the 'official' Australian aviation world worthy mention or the research. The lack of any progress forward in the serious matters which afflict the industry reflects the typical behaviour expected when there is a 'labour' government in control i.e. no ducking interest whatsoever. In fact, this government would quite happily see any and all parts of the industry, bar the 'big end of town' quietly flushed down the pipes and never heard of again.

Being an 'ancient' I dragged out an old log book; (#1) and looked up today's date, but 50 years ago. A hanger rat with a PPL plodding through a CPL and IR, self funded and worked hard for. Construction work during the day, Tech at night (free of charge bar books) weekends doing whatever at the flight school. From there, where else but to the 'bush'. Isa, Darwin - 206/207/210/ B55/B58/ C310/ C337/C402 – to all kinds of places. Just another one of the many, all hoping for that next job in a 'better' aircraft, preferably with a roster. Pay never entered my head; those were the rules and the rates; whinge – only if you dared and had the airfare back home in your back pocket (unlikely) . But non of 'us' cared – we were actually flying for a living and that was all that truly mattered. Thoughts of pensions, superannuation etc. were things for 'other' folk to worry about. Why – because there was hope, always hope that the 'real' job would come along. No matter how humble that job, it was the road to the real prize – 'Captain' (sign here) with 'heavy metal' to guide to new places.

The differences between 'then and 'now' are remarkable, in the extreme. IMO the 'big ticket' item is the slow, but sure loss of 'contact' with the regulator. For example the transition from 'line driver' to Chief Pilot. My own transition was carefully managed and monitored by DCA 'examiners' of airmen, who really knew their job (and could fly) – from soup to nuts. They actually 'fostered and promoted' the transition; if you had a 'problem' there was always one (two if lucky) available to advise. You could, if deeply troubled, call upon three or even four to elicit advice and opinion. At the core of this advice was 'experience' based logic, airmanship and old fashioned common sense. “Don't be bloody silly – read (this or that) and tell me where you think this is either operationally or legally safe”. In that order...

To make the point; one more tale – with your indulgence. First CP gig interview; instructions were to turn up at DCA HQ @ 1330 hrs. On time I arrived and was shown into the office. Introductions were brief – then a large lump of paper in a binder was dumped onto the desk. “Sort this lot out and I'll see you in a month” End of interview (more or less). So, off I toddled with about 3 Kg of paperwork under my arm. Well, it was a big job, even to an 'amateur' it seemed unwieldy, untidy and cobbled together in a haphazard manner. So, I bashed on, reading the rules and re-writing, as best I could, stuff that aligned with the 'Orders' and regulations (slim volumes). Nearly had it all 'tidy' by the appointed date of the 'meeting'. The DCA fellah turned up on time (no charge) had a coffee and 'read' through my efforts. Then began my education. It took a further two months and many, many re-writes before the manual was 'in compliance' – the man from DCA was both critic and mentor; priceless guidance and advice freely given (no charge) to make sure that the 'operation' was not only operationally and legally up to the mark, but that DCA, company and my neophyte self were fully aware of how to meet the requirements of commercial operations. This DCA man was not 'unusual' or a 'one off'. Back then, we had to 'do' an instrument rating renewal every six month, with DCA; (no charge). Sure, it was a tough 'test' but (big BUT) after every flight test you walked away having learned something of value – to both operational and 'legal' safety.  Never, not one one of 'em – even the 'orrible ones left without something of value left behind.

This is not what we have today – not by a country mile. CASA has drifted so far away from what should be their core function as to take your breath away. Back in the day, DCA was not exactly 'a mate' and Gods help you if you, despite their best advice strayed from the straight and narrow. These days – it is the uncertainty of continuity that troubles. Across the board; legal and operational 'rules' require, almost demand that legal counsel be invoked before getting anywhere near starting an engine, let alone 'doing' a revenue job, or even getting a medical without specialist advice.

“I should have turned left at Albuquerque” would never have been heard. Why? Well because some young, dumb wannabe CP would never have been allowed to let operational/ safety matters descend so far into the 'red'. That's why. We had help and advice, not fear of 'prosecution' manipulated to suit. Time for a change of attitude and management perhaps? Damn right it is. What say you minister?

[Image: Untitled%2B2.jpg]