Senate Estimates.

Statistics and Fairy tales.

When ‘we’ signed on with AP one of the aims was to highlight the reforms and safety improvements the Senate recommendations and Forsyth report brought to the table.  We looked forward to noting and commenting on the expected improvements.  It is a ‘moderators’ job to distil comments and observations from the associates e-mail chains and loops; if, say for example there was a trend of good comment on the CVD matter, then the good opinions of the associates would be reflected in commentary.

Monday is ‘numbers’ day – my turn, so I diligently plough through the numbers and send them along to those as are interested.  I could not help but notice that our ‘reform’ threads draw little attention or comment; they are read, but static.  

Forsyth – is almost forgotten; neglected for lack of change or implementation of the sweeping changes recommended by the Rev. Forsyth, supported by the Minister and demanded by industry.  Nothing to say as nothing has happened.

Closing the Loop – The much touted target of Sen. David Fawcett; it is a first class notion, essential to risk mitigation, education and operational efficiency.  Dead, died of starvation and neglect – why? Well there’s been nothing, not one single solitary iota of change – for the better.

Myth of CASA Reform; same story – a flat, static thread, simply because there is no reform worth the mention.  

We could salt the threads, generate some interest, but it would be negative.  Suffice to say that the numbers speak for themselves.  When you look back over the journey from Pel-Air to todays estimates it becomes clearly apparent that once again, real, meaningful ‘reform’ has been rolled to the back lot, covered over and left to rust away with all the other old clunkers from two decades of no reform worthy of mention.

Sad ain’t it.

Selah.

First impressions from rough notes.

An outbreak of domestic tyranny prevented careful study of the entire session, so we will be obliged to wait for Hansard and the ‘vision’ for details.  From some of the comments received and the parts I did manage to watch, there are some points of interest which will merit further attention.

Sir Gallacher continues to impress, you get the notion that he’s plugged in and switched on; works hard and terrier like, keeps worrying the prey.  I want to watch the ASA session again, I got the impression he was kicking the crap out of ‘em (big job – lots of it to kick) on money matters.   Doughty Joe Bullock was in the ruck and maul, quiet, assuming but no less lethal for that.  Choc frogs for effort.  MTF.

The best bits of the ASA session were towards the end; there’s one small piece which is a must see.  Heff seemed, for the most part to stay out of the scrums, ran the session with a rod of iron with only a few barbed comments made regarding cowardly bastards waiting for their turn and writing nasty notes; someone made a serious error and Heff ain’t forgiving or forgetting; I digress.  Heff pops up with a question about advertising the ASA ‘top job’. MM jumped in to protect the anointed Half-wit.  It was a small passage of play, but Heff left no doubt in my mind that the Merde’k selection was out of the running – when you see the recording – watch carefully – Heff makes his final comment – Merde’k looks down the table at Half-wit, that look says ‘you’re ducked mate’.  The smile on the Heff dial – priceless.   MTF.

CASA – Oliver Slymore Twist, not so laid back and cool this time, the happy-clappy façade slipped a couple of times.  The session is worth a revisit, from my notes, the Montreal excuse was trotted out again, McComic got thrown under the bus and a gaunt, tense Anastasi was very uncomfortable at a line of questions which asked – basically – “are you taking the Mickey out the Senate ?”  This related to Part 145 being turned away and CASA running around the back of it to continue with their version of reform.  NX kicked that one off; as said – need a replay.  Fawcett condescended to pull on a strip and boots; there was a passage of play where he locked horns with Slymore; only an impression and a scribbled note, but some of it seemed ‘rehearsed’ (for wont of better), the chime of probity just a little off beat – need a replay.  Bullock did well again precision kicking.  MTF.

Which only leaves ATSB and a hapless, re bearded Beaker – one texted comment cracked me up – it suggested the beard is used as cover for telling the really big Porkies ("talking through his hairy arse").  Foley did well on MH 370 – he seems to be across the brief and manages to give an impression of honesty.  The session is worth reviewing – Norfolk and Pel-Air were mentioned and the bearded one looked distinctly uncomfortable during that interlude.  MTF.

Only a half baked twiddle; impressions more than solid observations; more to follow I expect. But for the amount of difference it will all make, judging from the complete lack of tangible change so far; maybe MKR is a better program.  At least there you can at least see the result of effort.

Toot toot... Wink... Smile

(10-20-2015, 05:17 AM)kharon Wrote:  First impressions from rough notes.

An outbreak of domestic tyranny prevented careful study of the entire session, so we will be obliged to wait for Hansard and the ‘vision’ for details.  From some of the comments received and the parts I did manage to watch, there are some points of interest which will merit further attention.

Sir Gallacher continues to impress, you get the notion that he’s plugged in and switched on; works hard and terrier like, keeps worrying the prey.  I want to watch the ASA session again, I got the impression he was kicking the crap out of ‘em (big job – lots of it to kick) on money matters.   Doughty Joe Bullock was in the ruck and maul, quiet, assuming but no less lethal for that.  Choc frogs for effort.  MTF.

The best bits of the ASA session were towards the end; there’s one small piece which is a must see.  Heff seemed, for the most part to stay out of the scrums, ran the session with a rod of iron with only a few barbed comments made regarding cowardly bastards waiting for their turn and writing nasty notes; someone made a serious error and Heff ain’t forgiving or forgetting; I digress.  Heff pops up with a question about advertising the ASA ‘top job’. MM jumped in to protect the anointed Half-wit.  It was a small passage of play, but Heff left no doubt in my mind that the Merde’k selection was out of the running – when you see the recording – watch carefully – Heff makes his final comment – Merde’k looks down the table at Half-wit, that look says ‘you’re ducked mate’.  The smile on the Heff dial – priceless.   MTF.

CASA – Oliver Slymore Twist, not so laid back and cool this time, the happy-clappy façade slipped a couple of times.  The session is worth a revisit, from my notes, the Montreal excuse was trotted out again, McComic got thrown under the bus and a gaunt, tense Anastasi was very uncomfortable at a line of questions which asked – basically – “are you taking the Mickey out the Senate ?”  This related to Part 145 being turned away and CASA running around the back of it to continue with their version of reform.  NX kicked that one off; as said – need a replay.  Fawcett condescended to pull on a strip and boots; there was a passage of play where he locked horns with Slymore; only an impression and a scribbled note, but some of it seemed ‘rehearsed’ (for wont of better), the chime of probity just a little off beat – need a replay.  Bullock did well again precision kicking.  MTF.

Which only leaves ATSB and a hapless, re bearded Beaker – one texted comment cracked me up – it suggested the beard is used as cover for telling the really big Porkies ("talking through his hairy arse").  Foley did well on MH 370 – he seems to be across the brief and manages to give an impression of honesty.  The session is worth reviewing – Norfolk and Pel-Air were mentioned and the bearded one looked distinctly uncomfortable during that interlude.  MTF.

Only a half baked twiddle; impressions more than solid observations; more to follow I expect. But for the amount of difference it will all make, judging from the complete lack of tangible change so far; maybe MKR is a better program.  At least there you can at least see the result of effort.

Good summary Ferryman, it wasn't a long session but it was obvious there were many subtle inner sanctum allegiances & departmental issues that will no doubt feature in the coming months of the BSW (Bus Stop Wars)... Big Grin

The following is the committee secretariat summary of the day's proceedings:

Quote:
Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee
Supplementary Budget Estimates 2015 – 16
Monday, 19 October 2015
Daily summary
The committee met from 9.00am until 10.35pm.
The committee called:

• the department and agencies of the Infrastructure and Regional Development portfolio, commencing with the Corporate Services Division and moving on to the Infrastructure Investment Division, Infrastructure Australia, the Australian Rail Track Corporation, Airservices Australia, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, the Aviation and Airports Division, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, the Office of Transport Security, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, the Policy and Research Division, the Surface Transport Policy Division, the Local Government and Territories Division, the Western Sydney Unit, the National Capital Authority and the National Transport Commission.

Among other issues, the following matters were discussed:

• current and planned infrastructure projects in states and territories, with a particular focus on matters surrounding the WestConnex and the Perth Freight Link projects;

• the work of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau on the search for MH370; and

• the distribution of ministerial responsibilities within the Infrastructure and Regional Development portfolio in light of the recent ministerial reshuffle.

The Committee set Friday 30 October 2015 as the deadline for senators to submit written Questions on Notice, and Friday 4 December 2015 as the due date for answers to Questions on Notice. 

{P2 Funny how the secretariat also thought the ATSB copped a bit of a (IMO well deserved Dodgy ) pizzling.}

The Hansard is only part completed (see here), so in the meantime I have put to youtube the individual video segments from the terrible trio & a short segment from Aviation & Airports:

The other segments can be seen on the terrible trio threads... Wink

MTF..P2 Tongue

(10-20-2015, 03:47 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(10-20-2015, 05:17 AM)kharon Wrote:  First impressions from rough notes.

Good summary Ferryman, it wasn't a long session but it was obvious there were many subtle inner sanctum allegiances & departmental issues that will no doubt feature in the coming months of the BSW (Bus Stop Wars)... Big Grin

The following is the committee secretariat summary of the day's proceedings:

Quote:
Senate Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee
Supplementary Budget Estimates 2015 – 16
Monday, 19 October 2015
Daily summary
The committee met from 9.00am until 10.35pm.
The committee called:

• the department and agencies of the Infrastructure and Regional Development portfolio, commencing with the Corporate Services Division and moving on to the Infrastructure Investment Division, Infrastructure Australia, the Australian Rail Track Corporation, Airservices Australia, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority, the Aviation and Airports Division, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, the Office of Transport Security, the Australian Maritime Safety Authority, the Policy and Research Division, the Surface Transport Policy Division, the Local Government and Territories Division, the Western Sydney Unit, the National Capital Authority and the National Transport Commission.

Among other issues, the following matters were discussed:

• current and planned infrastructure projects in states and territories, with a particular focus on matters surrounding the WestConnex and the Perth Freight Link projects;

• the work of the Australian Transport Safety Bureau on the search for MH370; and

• the distribution of ministerial responsibilities within the Infrastructure and Regional Development portfolio in light of the recent ministerial reshuffle.

The Committee set Friday 30 October 2015 as the deadline for senators to submit written Questions on Notice, and Friday 4 December 2015 as the due date for answers to Questions on Notice. 

{P2 Funny how the secretariat also thought the ATSB copped a bit of a (IMO well deserved Dodgy ) pizzling.}

The Hansard is only part completed (see here), so in the meantime I have put to youtube the individual video segments from the terrible trio & a short segment from Aviation & Airports:

The other segments can be seen on the terrible trio threads... Wink

Update: Senate Hansard - Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee - 19/10/2015 - Estimates - INFRASTRUCTURE AND REGIONAL DEVELOPMENT PORTFOLIO 

MTF..P2 Tongue

We have had too much fun with the last estimates events to cram them onto one thread. So change of format : The Sleepy Hollow Gazette carries the ASA, ATSB, AVMED and CASA Hansard and video – separated – for your convenience.

I know, I know – we changed it – what can I say. Enjoy.

(10-21-2015, 05:13 PM)P7_TOM Wrote:  We have had too much fun with the last estimates events to cram them onto one thread.  So change of format : The Sleepy Hollow Gazette carries the ASA, ATSB, AVMED and CASA Hansard and video – separated – for your convenience.  

I know, I know – we changed it – what can I say.   Enjoy.

'On the Busses' - All a-Board! Big Grin

Now I know that P7 wanted us to play down in 'Sleepy Hollow' - mainly because it has been such a noisy and bloody week down at the RED HOUSE Confused - but that 'man again' is back & wanting to bring up this stuff??- reference - bump in the night:  
(10-21-2015, 01:37 PM)kharon Wrote:  Setting the tone:-

Opening remarks 

Quote:Senator GALLACHER: Mr Mrdak, have you ever thought of winding up this crew and rolling them back into the department?

Mr Mrdak: No.

Senator GALLACHER: No study has been done on bringing it back into the department?

Mr Mrdak: No.

Translation – Emphatic - Not bloody likely and no choc frog for guessing why; far too smart is the MM.

Closing remarks:-

Quote:CHAIR: I am going to go to Senator Xenophon, but before I do that, have you advertised for a new CEO yet?

Mr Mrdak: That is a matter for the board. My understanding is that the board is—

CHAIR: It is such an incestuous set-up that the board will probably say, 'Oh, we will get one of our own little pet cats in there.' Why would you not advertise publicly?

Mr Mrdak: My understanding is that the board is about to publicly advertise the position.

CHAIR: Good.

....You have to watch the small segment when Mrdak gives Half-Wit ‘the look’. Part II from 0640 - 0721.  Priceless - had it made into a screen saver, with a music overlay.  Going to send it to Glen Sterle, he'd hate to miss the fun bits.

Ok TMA courtesy the Oz.. Smile :

Quote:Senators call for transparency over Airservices’ top job

[Image: ean_higgins.png]
Reporter

[Image: 063724-bf76b7d2-787b-11e5-98bf-217dbc548dd3.jpg]

Liberal Senator Bill Heffernan. ‘It is such an incestuous set-up.’ Picture: Kym Smith Source: News Corp Australia

Senators have mounted a bipartisan campaign to ensure transparency in the selection of a new chief executive for Airservices Australia, with Liberal Bill ­Heffernan claiming the board headed by Angus Houston ­intends to appoint “one of our own little pet cats”.  

Another senator, Labor’s Glenn Sterle, said no appointment should be made until the Australian National Audit ­Office completed an investigation into contracts awarded in Airservices’ $1.5 billion One­SKY project, which senators have ­described as appearing “incestuous” and “dodgy”.

The moves come amid speculation the board of the body which runs the nation’s air traffic control system, and the minister with portfolio responsibility, Warren Truss, are inclined to appoint long-serving Airservices executive Jason Harfield to the job.

Mr Harfield, who started with Airservices 26 years ago as an air traffic controller, was appointed acting chief executive after the resignation in July of former RAAF officer Margaret Staib.

Mr Harfield said “it is certainly my strong ambition to be the long-term CEO of Air­services Australia’’.

While the Airservices board late last week appointed an executive search firm to help find candidates, no ads for the position have appeared.

At a Senate estimates hearing on Monday, Senator Heffernan asked why this was the case. “It is such an incestuous set-up that the board will probably say, ‘Oh, we will get one of our own little pet cats in there’,’’ Senator Heffernan said.

Senator Sterle warned against appointing a new chief until the ANAO brings down its report on OneSKY, which will integrate the nation’s ­civilian and military air traffic control ­systems.

“To do otherwise would send a very clear message that the ­Airservices board and the minister are not taking seriously the allegations,” Senator Sterle said

Top job 'that man' Wink - now I wonder if the Senators could ask for the same transparency with the internal Fort Fumble applicants for the Deputy Dog position, where the rumour is (the root of all evil) Doc A is the front runner...UFB! Confused  Dare I say if that happens - goodbye industry.. Undecided

MTF..P2 Tongue

Good points cobbled together by 'that man' and then rounded off by P2. The bureaucracies governing Australian aviation desperately need fresh blood fed in to the system.
Just as an example Halfwit has spent 26 years at ASA - time to go, get a new life, venture into the real world, leave the sheltered workshop. You've been part of the recent big decisions in recent years, enough said. This guys arrogance and ego is blinding his ability to manage successfully. Just go.

CAsA - Again, Aleck who has been part of all the big decisions in recent years, has  around 22 years racked up at CAsA. Many of those decisions have been utter disasters. Time for new blood, not old legalese disconnected out of touch bullshit. Bugger off JA, you're not wanted by the IOS nor do you have our support. Just go.

Murky - The Departments 'long suffering' boss man, supposedly. Again, around 20 years of stale out of date and out of touch management of the Ministers portfolio. We need new blood, actual transparency and someone who will not accept the alphabet soup bullshit that is strangling our industry. Just go.

We need people with the thinking mentality of a 2015 executive, not the laconic cover up mentality of the 1980's.

Tick tock bureaucrats tick tock

Just so GD, spot on and well said.

Quote:Mr Harfield, who started with Airservices 26 years ago as an air traffic controller, was appointed acting chief executive after the resignation in July of former RAAF officer Margaret Staib.

Part of the crew that gave us ‘courage’ badges, posters and a vicious internal power struggle, which (thankfully) saw the demise of both Staib and Clark and left Halfwit a clear run at the title. Shameless, morale destroying, grasping, greedy, ego centric are words oft used in conversations to describe the Half-wit, he of the failed red power tie.  Put it on just a tick too early in his haste, methinks.

Quote:Mr Harfield said “it is certainly my strong ambition to be the long-term CEO of Air¬services Australia’’.

Who uses words like that – ‘my’ – ‘strong’ – ‘ambition’ which has almost decimated a once profitable, sane, outfit.  To many bum licking sessions with Houstoblame ? perhaps.  What a pair; the pair of despair.

Quote:Just as an example Halfwit has spent 26 years at ASA - time to go, get a new life, venture into the real world, leave the sheltered workshop. You've been part of the recent big decisions in recent years, enough said. This guys arrogance and ego is blinding his ability to manage successfully. Just go.

Aye, fetch that bucket Minnie.  Soon, very soon, I will have great need of it.

Toot – retch – Toot.

A big concern is the recruitment of the next ASA CEO. Initially there was no talk of an external CEO coming in, and all the internal murmurings pointed towards half-inch. It was only after the Senators started exposing the depth of the rot in ASA started pushing for answers and transparency about the recruitment for the CEO being advertised did the ASA Board reluctantly announce that they would open up the recruitment process, but strangely there are still no confirmation documents to be seen!
It's quite obvious that Halfwit was the successor and the Board have now been caught on the back foot, and caught out. Another Angus sham.

Half-inch should be pushed sideways and then some. Sir An(g)us should also be shown the door over this complete mess of the past year or so. Why would the Minister and his Secretary stick with total garbage when there are quality external people out there who could bring in the goods? Again it shows just how out of touch and incapable Truss and MrDak are. MrDak himself a government graduate who commenced his employment in 1988 from memory (ironic considering that is when the failed regulatory reform program started) should also be shown the door and should get a job in the real commercial world and see how the real industry operates, rather than continue his blind, inexperienced one sided view of the actual world around him. A life time hiding in Cant'berra being ingrained into the system of personal trough development is pretty much the reason why we have the mess we have today.

As I've said before, we need fresh blood, people who know all aspects of the industry and who have a business, safety, regulatory, compliance and technical background.

Oink oink

Every now and again, the lad comes up with a 'pearler'.  This post is worth repeating: I think it was wasted in safe skies - it was eventually Blogged.  The unbelievable clap-trap Houstoblame comes out with - 

Quote:Magnificent munificence.

How very condescending of the elitist Houstoblame; it’s so wonderful when the gods descend into the filthy pit we live in and shed the light of their countenance upon us.

I am also delighted (as Hoody would say) that Houstoblame is concerned that our pricing may affect the Ethihad bottom line; I mean just because they are a foreign carrier and in fierce competition with our very own Big Q is no reason for ignoring their plight.  I am certain the Australian regional and domestic operators will embrace the opportunity to assist in underwriting some of Etihad, Emirates and Singapore’s costs; probably pay the fees for ‘em – given half a chance.  Aye, it’s great to see an Australian standing up for the rights of non Australian carriers.

Poor old Houstoblame – ‘vexed’ is he; shame on you Australian carriers; don’t you know ASA have some very large pay outs to make, new stuff to buy and all manner of brown envelopes to deliver; don’t forget the executive management bonus system, five star suites for afternoon delight and gourmet meals don’t come cheap you know.  Just because ASA is a monopoly and makes obscene profit, is no reason for you not to want to assist.

Gods know what they do with all the money – perhaps the ANAO can tell us, now that would be nice.

That thumping poor Mr Hogan gave Houstoblame out there in the sandpit must have knocked in some sense of ‘balance’ though, he hasn’t fallen off the throne for week.  Jolly good.

Perhaps some could remind him that in his position he should bloody well know that of which he claims it is important for ‘people like him’ to know.  It’s called running the show, getting your hands dirty, carrying the load – not sitting in first class on a never ending gravy train ride, waving at the ‘common folk’ toiling in the shit as one thunders by.

Of all the pompous, prattling parasites.  How many we got now GD? – I loose count

Toot bloody toot.

Stone the bloody crows; makes you wonder just who the paymasters really are, don't it?

The Ferryman's robust assessment;

"Perhaps some could remind him that in his position he should bloody well know that of which he claims it is important for ‘people like him’ to know. It’s called running the show, getting your hands dirty, carrying the load – not sitting in first class on a never ending gravy train ride, waving at the ‘common folk’ toiling in the shit as one thunders by".

Now now Kharon, you may upset 'someone like him' by saying that. And I'm sure all of his lapdogs, botty wipers and number one fans will also be pained by your comment. But not the Gobbledock! Indeed not. Gobbles concurs.
Sir Anus hasn't gotten his precious, large, flappy hands dirty for many a good decade. Well, apart from the odd blister and grease stained palms from climbing bureaucracies greasy poles. People like him are strictly boardroom type of guys - cucumber sandwiches and Earle grey tea in one hand  and the DPM's old fella in the other.

All that people like Sir Anus achieve is a drain on our country's precious budget. The poor taxpayer has to foot the bill for paying the huge salary package of clowns like him. It's a bloody national disgrace. He spun his way through Defence and got paid for the privilege, and now he spins his way through aviation and is getting paid for it. Where to next, the mining industry?

A pagans last prayer.

Dear Senators.

We have, in the form of Jeff Boyd and David Forsyth two good men tearing their hair out. Why? Well may you ask.  

These two good men have, tirelessly, been working to beat the stranglehold of mandarins and the ‘Iron ring’ on the handbrake of the desperately needed reform of CASA.  Not the regulations, but the rats nest generating and enforcing some of the most nugatory regulation and inutile policy ever inflicted on an over regulated industry.

Boyd, in particular needs political help, lots of.  He needs it now; before the final open escape hatch – the appointment of a deputy DAS who knows what MUST be done – is slammed shut.  Once the only escape route is plugged, the good ship Iron ring will sail off into a picture book sunset, taking not only the Senate recommendations and the Forsyth recommendations with it, but the demands, hopes and aspirations of a struggling industry.

An industry which should be generating income for the country; providing jobs, apprenticeships and essential, robust services to those who need them.

It’s the internal (infernal) politics which are holding us back – we know you are all  ‘masters of the great game’. Can (will) someone please (as a matter of some urgency) help Boyd cut the Gordian knot.

Selah.

It's actually a simple process - restructure. Remove both the Deputy DAS role and the Associate DAS role. Give it a few months then bring in one or two good outside people in some slickly worded 'positions' and once they're in the door, give them some teeth and then in 6 months time rename the roles to whatever suits the masses.

However, don't hold your breath. The fact that both Beaker and Murky had their positions extended last year shows that old Crusty Head has no intentions of making proper changes to his Ministerial portfolio. Manning and Boyds appointments were a way to shut up the IOS, make it appear that change was coming. Bollocks. A lone Manning at ATSB and a lone Boyd at CAsA have as much teeth as the Senators do, nil.

It's a whitewash boys, a complete crock of shit. The day that Beaker, Murky, Harfinch, Sir Anus, Dr Voodoo and Skid'Mark get rolled is the day that I start believing that Australian aviation oversight is being taken seriously by the Government.

'Tick tock to this Machiavellian mess'

Quote:GD – “The day that Beaker, Murky, Harfinch, Sir Anus, Dr Voodoo and Skid'Mark get rolled is the day that I start believing that Australian aviation oversight is being taken seriously by the Government.”

Identification of problem – 101 for the student pilot, second nature to the experienced.  When there is a problem a process of elimination will identify the cause.  Within CASA there exists a serious objection to being reformed.  When you add up the past two decades worth of inquiry, commissions etc. you find a staggering number of ‘reforms’ which have been stepped around, diluted, manipulated or blatantly ignored.  Those ‘reforms’ have been generated by Senators, Ministers, Commissioners and Coroners; none based on whimsy, but cold hard facts.

So, it begs the questions – where is the hold up, who perpetrates it and who prolongs the agony?

The present situation – conflict if you will – has isolated two individuals - Mrdak and Aleck as the only two men left standing.  The resistance to change remains robust and effective. McComic has gone, Farq-u-hardson – gone, yet the resistance remains as strong and complacent as ever.  Aleck is bucking for the Deputy role; and IMO operating the endlessly working jaws of Slydmore and generally running the show as pleases him best.  The Board want to bring in ‘new blood’ – instant conflict - with the established long serving players; Boyd hamstrung – the Minister disinterested and easily persuaded toward supporting the established putsch.  Jeff, mate it has SFA to do with the CASA top 10; if they don’t like the boards decision, then tough totty, they can leave – it really is that simple.  It is the Board’s decision, not theirs, never was.  Anyway, you’d hardly know they were gone, except for the sudden increase in production.  Crack the whip man, don’t fanny about.

Can it be proven that Aleck is the real power behind the thrones, king maker and head priest of sacrificial rites?  May the title ‘leader of resistance’, by simple elimination, be bestowed?  He is a constant factor and a long serving member, the only one left standing.  Deep research into some of the dreadful aberrations nearly always uncovers his pugmarks around the borders of a kill; background analysis suggests stealthy but lethal involvement, often from a distance, but nonetheless effective for all that.  Back as far as Lockhart the ordure of Aleck can be detected.    

Then there is the great land grab to consider; aerodromes a prime target.  With CASA in his back pocket and the Ministers ear, Mrdak's part in the unfolding story of development begins to make sense.  Whether Mrdak believes he is acting in the best interests of Australia is not a question which may be answered.  A proposed change to the airports act may shed some light though.

But, prima facie, the CASA resistance to reform must be lead, the reasoning for change must be manipulated, diffused, diverted and delayed.  There are only two men left standing; one of whom could be dealt with by the CASA board.  In isolation would the hapless Skidmore follow his leader?  Then perhaps we could, as the ASA must do; open the doors to real talent, select a reform DAS and deputy, then get this bloody reform show on the road; before we run out of juice, sitting frustrated at the holding point.

Reform of CASA must begin at the top, leaving the head on a snake is a dangerous game to play.  

Selah.

[Image: QS_0ffa066544814611b1e526075c06ba2a.jpg]

Dear PM and DPM.

Ask one of your intelligent aids to spend a half hour reading just some of the industry groups offerings in the Alphabet Soup forum.  You could even stretch that to reading some of the submissions made to the Forsyth ASRR.  It is a clear enough picture, even for a layman.  Talk to the Senate Standing Committee – take what – an hour?

Then pick up the phone and send a message to CASA to stop pissing about and address the problems; back the CASA Board, appoint a DAS with some integrity and a spine then put your feet up.  The easiest problem you are ever likely to deal with; cost bugger all and would make many smile for a week.

Simple enough – take what? – a morning to start an industry moving forward rather than marking time, in the mud we have been stuck in for almost three decades.  You need some proper advice, you really, truly do.  

L&K the IOS.

Glenn Sterle's plea for Shipping industry... Wink

I'm not sure what Sterle had for afternoon tea yesterday?? -But whatever it was they should bottle it & feed it to the other Senators/MPs; & then place this picture in their hot little hands (courtesy AMROBA):

[Image: Who-Cares-800x400.jpg]

Senate Hansard 12/11/15:
Quote:Senator STERLE (Western Australia) (18:02): As the Deputy Chair of the Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee, I wish to report to the Senate that we held a legislative hearing in Canberra on 7 September, a Monday afternoon, and we had a number of witnesses. What came out of this inquiry is absolutely frightening. I have just sat through, as you have too, Mr Deputy President, general business when we were talking about the loss of Australian jobs. What we have here will be the loss of an Australian industry. All those Australians out there need to be very aware of what the government is trying to do with this legislation. To put it in a nutshell—this is a no-brainer—we are an island nation. I believe we have the fourth largest shipping task in the world. But through the intelligence of this government, being led by Mr Truss—I know that is an oxymoron, putting those two words together—the Shipping Legislation Amendment Bill proposes to do away with, exterminate, get rid of, the Australian shipping industry.

Those out there listening to this debate might think, 'What has this bloke been on at lunchtime?' I am not making this up. It is absolutely frightening what they want to do. They want to get rid of Australian flagged ships and they clearly want to get rid of Australian seafaring jobs. It is well known that there is a lot of coastal shipping, shipping that moves between the states, between the capital cities, and no-one is more reliant on that than our friends and colleagues down in Tasmania because, lo and behold, they are also an island like we are. They do not have a highway running between the top end of Tassie and Melbourne where we can truck everything across.

What really highlighted the problems with this bill was the evidence of one of the witnesses, a Mr Bill Milby. Mr Milby heads up North Star Cruises. North Star Cruises are on the top end of that great half of Australia, the western side. They run the Northern Star—I think it is called the Northern Star—ship out of Broome. Its crew are all Australian. I tell a lie: there might be one Kiwi on there. They are all young Aussies, captained by a very experienced Australian captain. They run tours and cruises between Broome and Darwin and back and that beautiful part in between.

Mr Milby attended a function or a seminar or something which was attended by Minister Truss and his officers from the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development. Mr Milby raised concerns and said to them—not to the minister but to his officials—'If we are going to get rid of Australian jobs and Australian ships and allow foreign seafarers to come in and foreign flagged vessels, how the heck can I compete? How can I keep my 52'—I think the figure was 52—'employees employed who are all Australians, bar maybe one Kiwi, who predominantly live in Western Australia, down the south, but head up to Broome'—and there are a number of people that live in Broome—'and work the dry seas and tours?'

He was told something by the department, by an official, Ms Judi Zielke—and Ms Judi Zielke and I are no strangers to each other for a number of reasons, but particularly through Senate estimates and this inquiry—who is the Executive Director of Surface Transport Policy, ably backed up, Mr Milby told us, by Mr Michael Sutton, the General Manager of the Marine and Shipping Branch. They did not deny it. They tried to do the weaselly little bit about, 'We didn't really say the words that might have been reported in the paper.' But they did.

In the end, this is what came out: when Mr Milby asked, 'How do I compete; what do I do?' he was told by these officials, 'De-register your Australian vessel; go offshore, get a foreign flag and get rid of your Australian crew and employ foreign seafarers.' That is just one tiny little bit. As part of the inquiry, we actually got on record from the department—the government itself clearly said—that over 1,000 seafaring jobs will be gone: no Australians. That raises a number of issues. One is the environmental problems that may result because of the Great Barrier Reef. We have had a couple of incidences where foreign vessels have tried to take a shortcut across the reef. We know that happens.

But one of the biggest issues for me, apart from that mob over there saying they are glad to get rid of the Australian shipping industry, is national security. Mr Deputy President, you and I and my colleagues on this side of the chamber and in that other house over there, on the opposition benches, have had to listen to the national security beat-up at certain times coming from the former Prime Minister and ably backed up by every senator in this place, every minister—the whole lot of them. Sometimes it was warranted, but, by crikey, they were really pulling out the dog whistle: to actually think that there are Australian vessels that were carting fuel between our cities, between our refineries, from Brisbane down to Melbourne and wherever, and that we are prepared to not have a clue, to not have any Australians, just foreign seafarers. Do we think this is a good idea as a nation? Do we honestly believe that it is a brilliant idea to say to the Australian shipping industry, 'Go away; get lost', all in the name of delivering cheaper freight rates for maybe the cement industry, or maybe some of the miners? Let me tell you, I am supportive of the mining industry, but they do give me the screaming abdabs when they go out there and start screaming about how they want to be more productive, and what it means is just turning over more for their shareholders, but they are happy to do away with Australian jobs.

Not only that, but we talk about training, and our masters and our captains. These are not degrees that are obtained—you have a listen over there—you do not find them in a Weeties box; you actually have to have years and years of experience, you actually have to be out there and know what you are doing. You do not go to a pastel-coloured classroom in some TAFE for three weeks and say, 'Look, I've got a couple of hundred bucks to spare; I think I want to be a master.' We are going to kill off every opportunity we have created for this island nation to sustain itself and employ our own ships, running in and out of our ports, so we eliminate a lot of the problems. Some people out there may think I am being racist or—what do they call it, with all this nonsense; is it homophobic?—xenophobic. I knew it was one of the 'ophobics'! Call it what you like, but I will stand up for Australian jobs.

And the United States of America, that great aircraft carrier of freedom floating between the Pacific and Atlantic oceans: not even they would do that, because they have the Jones Act. The Jones Act says very clearly that, for national security, all shipping between US ports is done by United States flagged vessels and United States crews. So, I am really dying to listen to the argument coming from that side. Just one of you out there in fairyland, I am pleading with you: come and give me all the reasons in the world you think it is a fantastic achievement to get rid of—I was going to say 'sink', but I do not think it is the right word!—an Australian industry that we are so reliant upon, because we may have a couple of industries, being mining or cement, that do not even own any ships but just want to make a few more bucks. Are we prepared to watch over 1,000 jobs go?

I just want to give you a breakdown of those jobs. I asked the MUA, and the reason I asked the MUA is that they know where all the seafarers are. I said, 'Give us a quick breakdown,' and they told me. Very quickly—I do not have a lot of time—I am going to go through that, so those opposite can come and try to challenge me or whatever they want to do. In the Bass Strait, 382 Australian jobs will go—and these are the government's figures; they have said over 1,000; they are not disputing it. In LNG, in my fantastic part of the world, and of course Queensland and Victoria, 176 jobs will go. In the petroleum and gas trade, 72 jobs will go. In the dry bulk trade, it will be no fewer than 226 seafaring jobs, mainly in the eastern states of Victoria and New South Wales. In the bauxite and alumina trade, 136 jobs will go, mainly in Queensland and New South Wales. In the Northern Territory, servicing remote Aboriginal communities and other communities, it will be 302 jobs. In cruise shipping, with 17 Australian operators—and I talked about Broome and the Top End—it will be approximately 150, and we know what states they will be from. Also, approximately 500 jobs will go from Carpentaria Management Services, Paspaley Pearling Company, Port of Brisbane, V.Ships, Gardline and P&O Maritime Services, mainly in the Northern Territory and Queensland. The MUA has actually come back and said that it is closer to 1,980.

So, I extend that invitation once again: can someone please come and challenge me, take me on, show me where I have got it wrong? If you vote for this, I will make sure that every Australian seafarer gets your name from my mail. (Time expired)

I seek leave to continue my remarks later.
Leave granted; debate adjourned.

Or if you prefer.. Big Grin

MTF..P2 Tongue

Well done Senator, bravo!! Yet another poor decision, another industry, another nail in the coffin for Australian workers, another case of the sun beaten crusty headed lisping Kingaroy peanut farmer Miniscule screwing up. FFS people, where are the voters, why aren't we kicking these silk suit wearing stains on society out of government? How dare they be given the title 'honourable'.

Governments are killing our country. Squeezing, strangling and mismanaging everything they touch. What a disgrace! And Malcolm, where are you mate? Kissing Indonesia's ass and making sure they are looked after while Australian workers and businesses are being sent to the wall? Where to next - Germany and canopies while Europe burns? Dickheads. This country's leaders are an embarrassment, shame shame shame.

TICK TOCK the revolution is coming assholes!

Executive decision &/or obfuscation required Huh

P666 off the Airports thread:
(11-17-2015, 07:58 PM)Gobbledock Wrote:   ..ASA know it is an issue and also know that once the chemical is classified internationally as an 'airport environmental problem' the end result is that there will be many payouts, as some airports whose land has been slated for development by grubby investors, sharks, shonks and superannuation funds will be left holding a lemon as it will take a lot of money to clean up the 'dirty land'. ASA have been stashing away a war chest for some time now, worth hundreds of millions of dollars, in preparation for D-day.

Most airports have multiple contamination sites due to the relocation of fire fighting practise areas over the decades. But hey, compared to the shite buried beneath some airports, Bankstown as a prime example, the PFC's are probably relatively harmless in comparison! I would like to see the cancer rates among folks living around Bankstown and the George's River in 20 years time!..

A most profound post from one Gobbledock unit... Wink

Well yesterday in both Houses of Parliament the subject of PFCs & the Williamtown RAAF base case was brought up several times... Confused

First from the member for Paterson: Baldwin, Bob, MP

Quote:Mr BALDWIN (Paterson) (13:53): I raise the issue of firefighting foam contamination of perfluorooctane sulphonate originating from RAAF Base Williamtown, which has severely impacted on my community. There are PFOS levels reported as 100 times higher the acceptable health risk. Make no mistake: the PFOS contaminant originates from the RAAF base. Therefore, the Department of Defence and the Commonwealth are 100 per cent responsible and bear 100 per cent of the responsibility to put into place immediately an action plan to remedy the situation. The impacts on localised industries are not insignificant. There are now reports that the banks are black-listing for bank loans in the red zone investigation area.

Defence's evidence to the Senate committee hearing in October was that it was monitoring rather than containing contaminated surface water leaving the base. The first thing that has to be done is to contain the discharges from the Williamtown base. If you have a hole in a boat and it is leaking water, you do not just bail the water—you stop the leak. The contaminant levels need to be contained not monitored, because in the next storm event more PFOS will be flushed from the base into my local community. Defence needs to urgently communicate its plan to stop the PFOS continuing to contaminate the surrounding areas, as it has now been 81 days since the story broke let alone the years that Defence has known of the issue. Now, 81 days on, a detailed plan on how to stop the leakage has to be delivered to the community. The time for action is now.

Next was in Senate Question time:

Quote:Defence: Water Supplies

Senator McALLISTER (New South Wales) (14:17): My question is to the Minister for Defence, Senator Payne. In response to questions regarding the poisonous chemical contamination emanating from RAAF Base Williamtown at Senate estimates on 21 October, Defence Assistant Secretary Alison Clifton said:

… we believe that that contamination is still exiting the base.

Yet on 12 November, the minister told the Senate:

… this is actually not a Defence issue.

Given that Defence has admitted its culpability in the continuing chemical leak at Williamtown, does the minister now accept that Defence is responsible for this contamination?

Senator PAYNE (New South Wales—Minister for Defence) (14:18): Thank you very much. I do not have with me the benefit of the Hansard that would provide Senator McAllister with the full quote, but my memory is perhaps better than hers, which is to say that I went on to say at the time that the issue of PFOS and PFOA contamination—that it is the fire suppressant used historically in a number of places—is an issue for government as a whole, because of its impact in a number of areas. That includes airports and firefighting agencies such as rural and civil fire services.

What I did not say, and will not be misconstrued as saying, is that the matters concerning Williamtown and its surrounding areas are not matters related to the Defence facility, of course, self-evidently, they are.

Senator McALLISTER (New South Wales) (14:19): Mr President, I ask a supplementary question. When asked at Senate estimates if Defence was working to remove the chemicals and stop the environmental contamination, Ms Clifton responded:
It would not be possible for us to remove those without fundamentally disrupting the base.

Does the minister agree that it is more important not to disrupt the Defence base than to protect local communities by stopping the contamination leaking into the environment?

Senator PAYNE (New South Wales—Minister for Defence) (14:19): I think it is important to also understand the nature of the residual contaminant that is left by PFOS and PFOA. What studies do show is that it is a contaminant that does not break down. Extensive studies have been commenced and are continuing over, I think, now decades in the United States on this particular environmental contaminant. What we would have to do in terms of the operation of the RAAF Base Williamtown and its surrounding areas has been considered by the department, and Ms Clifton acknowledged those considerations at the Senate estimates.

That is an ongoing process, because this contaminant continues, obviously, to be present in the environment. We are working with the New South Wales state government, and the New South Wales state government has, as I think I noted on the previous occasion, taken a number of decisions in this regard— (Time expired)

Senator McALLISTER (New South Wales) (14:20): Mr President, I ask a final supplementary question. The Liberal member for Paterson Mr Bob Baldwin is calling for Defence to take action in today's Newcastle Herald saying:

If you've got a hole in a boat and it's leaking water, you don't bail the water. You stop the leak.
Do you agree with Mr Baldwin that Defence should comply with its own policy prohibiting the release of these chemicals into the natural environment under any circumstances and immediately stop the chemical contamination leaking from Williamtown?

Senator PAYNE (New South Wales—Minister for Defence) (14:21): I wish it were as simple as plugging a hole in a boat, actually. Whilst that might be a convenient metaphor for others to use, it is not one I would use. What we are examining in the Williamtown area and at the base itself are the options that are available to us in terms of management of the contaminant, in terms of the run-off of water from the base itself and of course continuing—

Senator Kim Carr: What about stopping it at source?

Senator PAYNE: Senator Carr, you don't understand actually, and that is a technical problem. I have indicated to the shadow minister, Senator Conroy, as I am sure he will acknowledge, that the government will—and I think probably already has—provide a briefing to those responsible on the other side, which will enable them to have a far more sophisticated understanding of the problem than the simplistic one being presented now. It is not that simple, Mr President, and we are making every endeavour to support the community. (Time expired)

And finally from Senator Rhiannon in the Adjournment: Rhiannon, Sen Lee

All three passages of Hansard mention the last Senate Estimates hearing - Hansard, QON etc can be viewed here:
Quote:Supplementary Budget Estimates 2015-2016

AMENDED HEARING PROGRAM - Thursday 22 October 2015 (PDF 12KB)
Hearing Program - Wednesday 21 October 2015 (PDF 31KB)

Hansard Transcripts

21 October 2015 2015 Defence Portfolio (PDF 1072KB)
22 October 2015 Foreign Affairs and Trade Portfolio (PDF 1010KB)

Tabled Documents

Questions on notice

Indexes and answers to questions on notice will be loaded to the respective department/agency pages via links below.

Defence Portfolio

Foreign Affairs and Trade Portfolio

For further information, contact:

Quote:Estimates Officer
Senate Standing Committees on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade
PO Box 6100
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia
Phone:
+61 2 6277 3535
Fax:
+61 2 6277 5818
Email:
fadt.sen@aph.gov.au

From the QON index I would say that the Genie is well and truly out of the bottle, when it comes to PFC's entering the water table/waterways in and around Defence Airports.. Blush

Example page 61 QON93 from Senator Conroy:

Quote:With regard to the issue of contamination at RAAF Base Williamtown and other Defence facilities:

(1) What are PFOS and PFOA, and what are they used for?
(2) How was the foam used?
(3) Who, typically, used these foams?
(a) Was it only ADF personnel, or did contractors, working with the ADF, use the foam?
(4) When were these chemicals used?
(5) Which facilities were they used in?
(a) Was it all Defence facilities, ADF air fields or all facilities that have a fire fighting unit?
(6) What is the extent of the contamination within ADF facilities and the areas surrounding them?
(7) What are the health issues associated with PFOS and PFOA?
(8) Who do the health issues affect?
(9) When did Defence first become aware of the health issues associated with the use of PFOS and PFOA?
(10) What actions did Defence undertake to address the situation when it became aware of the contamination?
(a) When did Defence stop using material containing PFOS and PFOA?
(b) Who did Defence inform and when?
(11) Can Defence please outline the process by which the extent of the contamination both within the ADF facilities, and outside of them, became known?
(12) Can Defence please outline the timeline of events that have taken place since the discovery of contamination?
(13) Does Defence still have any firefighting foams that contain PFOS and/or PFOA in stock at any of its facilities?
(a) If so, for what purpose?
(b) If firefighting foam containing PFOS and PFOA is no longer used:
(i) What foams are used for firefighting purposes now?
(ii) Is Defence aware of any concerns about the current firefighting foams being used?  

Senator Conroy's written QON continue for another 6 pages, this is page 64:
Quote:With respect to testing for contamination in the areas surrounding affected facilities:

(1) Is the Defence helping communities test their properties?
(2) In the case of Oakey, Defence has advised residents in the contaminated area to not drink water – Defence’s website states (http://www.defence.gov.au/id/oakey/): "As a precaution, Defence recommends not drinking water from any underground sources (i.e. bore water) within the investigation area, until further notice. This includes boiled groundwater."
(a) How long does Defence expect this advice to be in place for?
(b) Has Defence provided this advice to the residents near any other ADF facilities?
(3) What current processes does Defence have in place to determine what the health risks are, and how are these being communicated to those who may have been affected?
(a) Is there a systematic procedure involving health experts looking into this, with the aim of providing some greater certainty?
(b) Are there procedures for regular medical checks?
© What medical advice is being given to people who may have been affected by the contamination?
(d) Will any human testing be undertaken – either of ADF personnel or of residents in the surrounds of the Base?
(e) What processes are in place for advising those who have now left the ADF but were exposed to the contaminants – including families of children who previously attended the on-base child care centre?
(4) Reports indicate that some testing has been carried out at areas surrounding ADF facilities to determine the extent of the contamination. With respect to this testing, could Defence please outline:
(a) What methodology is being used to define which properties are being tested within the defined ‘Red Zone’ of the contamination – and has the ‘Red Zone’ been enlarged?
(b) In regard to the situation at Williamtown, reports indicate that concurrent testing is being undertaken by both the NSW EPA and Defence, on different established ‘Red Zones’ – why are Defence and the NSW EPA undertaking different testing in different zones?
© What is being tested – for example, does it include bore water, ground water, soil, surface water and animals (both stock and domestic)?
(d) Will Defence agree to community demands for all bore water, surface water and soil to be tested on the properties in the defined ‘Red Zone’?
(e) Can Defence confirm that it will meet the cost of all testing undertaken by both its contractors as well as any testing assessed as necessary by the New South Wales EPA?

It can only be a matter of time before some curious pollie joins the dots and starts asking questions about Farmer Truss's fiefdom of 450 odd airports... Confused

MTF..P2 Tongue

(11-24-2015, 03:52 PM)Peetwo Wrote:   Executive decision &/or obfuscation required Huh

P666 off the Airports thread:

(11-17-2015, 07:58 PM)Gobbledock Wrote:   ..ASA know it is an issue and also know that once the chemical is classified internationally as an 'airport environmental problem' the end result is that there will be many payouts, as some airports whose land has been slated for development by grubby investors, sharks, shonks and superannuation funds will be left holding a lemon as it will take a lot of money to clean up the 'dirty land'. ASA have been stashing away a war chest for some time now, worth hundreds of millions of dollars, in preparation for D-day.

Most airports have multiple contamination sites due to the relocation of fire fighting practise areas over the decades. But hey, compared to the shite buried beneath some airports, Bankstown as a prime example, the PFC's are probably relatively harmless in comparison! I would like to see the cancer rates among folks living around Bankstown and the George's River in 20 years time!..

A most profound post from one Gobbledock unit... Wink

Well yesterday in both Houses of Parliament the subject of PFCs & the Williamtown RAAF base case was brought up several times... Confused

First from the member for Paterson: Baldwin, Bob, MP

Quote:Mr BALDWIN (Paterson) (13:53): I raise the issue of firefighting foam contamination of perfluorooctane sulphonate originating from RAAF Base Williamtown, which has severely impacted on my community. There are PFOS levels reported as 100 times higher the acceptable health risk. Make no mistake: the PFOS contaminant originates from the RAAF base. Therefore, the Department of Defence and the Commonwealth are 100 per cent responsible and bear 100 per cent of the responsibility to put into place immediately an action plan to remedy the situation. The impacts on localised industries are not insignificant. There are now reports that the banks are black-listing for bank loans in the red zone investigation area.

Defence's evidence to the Senate committee hearing in October was that it was monitoring rather than containing contaminated surface water leaving the base. The first thing that has to be done is to contain the discharges from the Williamtown base. If you have a hole in a boat and it is leaking water, you do not just bail the water—you stop the leak. The contaminant levels need to be contained not monitored, because in the next storm event more PFOS will be flushed from the base into my local community. Defence needs to urgently communicate its plan to stop the PFOS continuing to contaminate the surrounding areas, as it has now been 81 days since the story broke let alone the years that Defence has known of the issue. Now, 81 days on, a detailed plan on how to stop the leakage has to be delivered to the community. The time for action is now.

Next was in Senate Question time:

Quote:Defence: Water Supplies

Senator McALLISTER (New South Wales) (14:17): My question is to the Minister for Defence, Senator Payne. In response to questions regarding the poisonous chemical contamination emanating from RAAF Base Williamtown at Senate estimates on 21 October, Defence Assistant Secretary Alison Clifton said:

… we believe that that contamination is still exiting the base.

Yet on 12 November, the minister told the Senate:

… this is actually not a Defence issue.

Given that Defence has admitted its culpability in the continuing chemical leak at Williamtown, does the minister now accept that Defence is responsible for this contamination?

Senator PAYNE (New South Wales—Minister for Defence) (14:18): Thank you very much. I do not have with me the benefit of the Hansard that would provide Senator McAllister with the full quote, but my memory is perhaps better than hers, which is to say that I went on to say at the time that the issue of PFOS and PFOA contamination—that it is the fire suppressant used historically in a number of places—is an issue for government as a whole, because of its impact in a number of areas. That includes airports and firefighting agencies such as rural and civil fire services.

What I did not say, and will not be misconstrued as saying, is that the matters concerning Williamtown and its surrounding areas are not matters related to the Defence facility, of course, self-evidently, they are.

Senator McALLISTER (New South Wales) (14:19): Mr President, I ask a supplementary question. When asked at Senate estimates if Defence was working to remove the chemicals and stop the environmental contamination, Ms Clifton responded:
It would not be possible for us to remove those without fundamentally disrupting the base.

Does the minister agree that it is more important not to disrupt the Defence base than to protect local communities by stopping the contamination leaking into the environment?

Senator PAYNE (New South Wales—Minister for Defence) (14:19): I think it is important to also understand the nature of the residual contaminant that is left by PFOS and PFOA. What studies do show is that it is a contaminant that does not break down. Extensive studies have been commenced and are continuing over, I think, now decades in the United States on this particular environmental contaminant. What we would have to do in terms of the operation of the RAAF Base Williamtown and its surrounding areas has been considered by the department, and Ms Clifton acknowledged those considerations at the Senate estimates.

That is an ongoing process, because this contaminant continues, obviously, to be present in the environment. We are working with the New South Wales state government, and the New South Wales state government has, as I think I noted on the previous occasion, taken a number of decisions in this regard— (Time expired)

Senator McALLISTER (New South Wales) (14:20): Mr President, I ask a final supplementary question. The Liberal member for Paterson Mr Bob Baldwin is calling for Defence to take action in today's Newcastle Herald saying:

If you've got a hole in a boat and it's leaking water, you don't bail the water. You stop the leak.
Do you agree with Mr Baldwin that Defence should comply with its own policy prohibiting the release of these chemicals into the natural environment under any circumstances and immediately stop the chemical contamination leaking from Williamtown?

Senator PAYNE (New South Wales—Minister for Defence) (14:21): I wish it were as simple as plugging a hole in a boat, actually. Whilst that might be a convenient metaphor for others to use, it is not one I would use. What we are examining in the Williamtown area and at the base itself are the options that are available to us in terms of management of the contaminant, in terms of the run-off of water from the base itself and of course continuing—

Senator Kim Carr: What about stopping it at source?

Senator PAYNE: Senator Carr, you don't understand actually, and that is a technical problem. I have indicated to the shadow minister, Senator Conroy, as I am sure he will acknowledge, that the government will—and I think probably already has—provide a briefing to those responsible on the other side, which will enable them to have a far more sophisticated understanding of the problem than the simplistic one being presented now. It is not that simple, Mr President, and we are making every endeavour to support the community. (Time expired)

And finally from Senator Rhiannon in the Adjournment: Rhiannon, Sen Lee

All three passages of Hansard mention the last Senate Estimates hearing - Hansard, QON etc can be viewed here:

Quote:Supplementary Budget Estimates 2015-2016

AMENDED HEARING PROGRAM - Thursday 22 October 2015 (PDF 12KB)
Hearing Program - Wednesday 21 October 2015 (PDF 31KB)

Hansard Transcripts

21 October 2015 2015 Defence Portfolio (PDF 1072KB)
22 October 2015 Foreign Affairs and Trade Portfolio (PDF 1010KB)

Tabled Documents

Questions on notice

Indexes and answers to questions on notice will be loaded to the respective department/agency pages via links below.

Defence Portfolio

Foreign Affairs and Trade Portfolio

For further information, contact:

Quote:Estimates Officer
Senate Standing Committees on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade
PO Box 6100
Parliament House
Canberra ACT 2600
Australia
Phone:
+61 2 6277 3535
Fax:
+61 2 6277 5818
Email:
fadt.sen@aph.gov.au

From the QON index I would say that the Genie is well and truly out of the bottle, when it comes to PFC's entering the water table/waterways in and around Defence Airports.. Blush

In addition to the above I note that today in the Senate there were two 'Notice of Motion' given in respect of this issue.

First from Senator Rhiannon: NOM

[Image: Sen-R.jpg]

{P2 comment: In regards to Bankstown Airport (i) is interesting Huh

And then from Senator Conroy a call for a far more wide ranging inquiry Undecided : Add NOM 2 

[Image: Sen-C.jpg]
Hmm...wonder if Labor & the Greens will once again join forces on this one?? Perhaps they should also expand the ToR to include the RRAT committee as it is inevitable that Truss's mob will be drawn into this potential bun fight... Big Grin

MTF...P2 Rolleyes

Yes indeed the can of worms has had it's seal cracked;

"BALDWIN (Paterson) (13:53): I raise the issue of firefighting foam contamination of perfluorooctane sulphonate originating from RAAF Base Williamtown, which has severely impacted on my community. There are PFOS levels reported as 100 times higher the acceptable health risk. Make no mistake: the PFOS contaminant originates from the RAAF base. Therefore, the Department of Defence and the Commonwealth are 100 per cent responsible and bear 100 per cent of the responsibility to put into place immediately an action plan to remedy the situation" 

Earth to Truss, you have a problem old mate. PFC's etching into rivers and oceans, and your 'airport people' just sit back and 'monitor'?? You pathetic old fool. The problem isn't just with Defense airports or airports near bodies of water, the problem is also at airports not near rivers, oceans or other water tables. Wherever the PFC's have been regularly discharged through Firies actions over the decades you will find ground soil and sub base contamination. Just add this one to the list of aviation fu#k ups that keeping growing by the day.

This is simply more justification for needing a Junior Minister for aviation such as David Fawcett. Wombats like Truss and Anthony Albo-whale before him are as useful as syphilis. Aviation is a complex portfolio and a huge one in its own right, and requires specialised attention from someone who understands the subject matter. Fawcett is our man.

In the meantime now is perfect timing for the opposition parties to make their move. Malcom's personal rating is likely to remain unstoppable and he will steamroll the competition unless something really big happens in the next few months. The pathetic Greens should be all over this like sunspots on Truss's head! FFS it an environmental disaster starting to unravel. WTF are you doing Sarah Hanson Dung? Are you guys serious? Go and team up with some Independents, big Clive, Rixky Manure or Martin Bryant.....who cares, just get your collective asses together and take on the Government.

TICK TOCK ASA, it's your responsibility, you have infected the airports with this toxic shite, it has been identified publicly as a health, safety and environment issue, and you want to sit back and 'monitor'?? I hope you are monitoring all of Newcastles two headed fish and all of the two headed children to be born in the next few years around Bankstown.