Thread Closed

Shame or Fame for McCormack.

(07-12-2019, 12:06 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  McDonaught signs off on another 2 years of MOAS purgatory Confused

(07-12-2019, 05:02 AM)Cap\n Wannabe Wrote:  Read McDonaught's latest Statement of Expectation here..

Dated              4 July 2019

Michael McCormack

Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development

1.        Overview

This instrument is the Statement of Expectations for the Board of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority for the Period 15 July 2019 to 30 June 2021.

This instrument commences on 15 July 2019 and expires at the end of 30 June 2021 as if it had been repealed by another instrument.

This instrument puts in place a new Statement of Expectations (SOE) which serves as a notice to the Board of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) under section 12A of the Civil Aviation Act 1988 (the Act).

This new SOE formalises the Government’s expectations concerning the operations and performance of CASA.

CASA should perform its functions in accordance with the Act, the Airspace Act 2007 and the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act) as well as other relevant legislation.

I also expect that the conduct and values of CASA’s Board and staff should be consistent with that of the Australian Public Service.

2.        Governance

I expect that the Board and the Director of Aviation Safety (DAS) will continue to work to enable the effective operation of CASA as the national aviation safety regulator.

I expect CASA to be a world-best-practice aviation safety regulator.

I expect the Board be responsible for the matters set out in the Act, including in particular, CASA’s strategic direction, risk management and corporate planning.

I expect the Board to ensure that CASA makes progress on its strategic priorities, including the key aviation initiatives outlined in this statement.

I also expect the Board to continue to facilitate effective interaction between CASA and industry.

Subject to the Act, I expect the DAS, as the Chief Executive Officer of CASA, to continue to be responsible for managing the operations of CASA, its organisational capacity, and the exercise of its statutory functions. This includes the development and implementation of regulation, executive-decision making, and all day-to-day operational, financial, personnel and administrative activities.

I expect the Board to keep the Secretary of my Department and me fully informed of CASA’s actions in relation to the requirements stated in this SOE, and promptly advise of any events or issues that may impact on the operations of CASA, including through quarterly progress reports from the Board against the Corporate Plan and this SOE.

3.        Regulatory Approach

I expect CASA will continue its regulatory approach, in accordance with its regulatory philosophy, with:

(a)   a focus on aviation safety as the highest priority;

(b)   consideration of the economic and cost impact on individuals, businesses and the community in the development and finalisation of new or amended regulatory changes; and

©   a pragmatic, practical and proportionate approach to regulation as it applies to different industry sectors.

4.        Key Aviation Initiatives

I expect CASA, in conducting its responsibilities as the aviation safety regulator, will focus on the following key aviation initiatives:

(a)      finalise the remaining new Civil Aviation Safety Regulations and ensure effective implementation and transition arrangements are applied.

(b)     continue effective engagement with industry in the lead up to the implementation of the flight operations suite of regulations, including on the issue of passenger limitations under Part 135 and on the development of associated regulatory and guidance material.

©      support Airservices Australia in the implementation of the new civil-military air traffic management system, also known as OneSKY, with timely approval and certification activities, in addition to the continuing regulatory oversight of Australia’s existing air traffic management system.

(d)     continue to respond to emerging risks related to drones, including the implementation of a registration and accreditation scheme and working collaboratively with my Department and Airservices Australia on an approach to the safe and efficient airspace integration of unmanned vehicles that complements the Government’s broader approach to this sector.

(e)      provide regulatory oversight for major aerodrome infrastructure projects, including Western Sydney Airport and significant new runway projects, as well as providing authoritative and timely advice to me and my Department on other airport developments, to assist me in complying with the statutory requirements of the Airports Act 1996, and regulations made under it.

(f)      work with my Department and Airservices Australia on modernising airspace management, including, as the regulator, leading the development of a national strategic airspace plan which articulates a regulatory narrative on controlled airspace.

(g)     work with Geoscience Australia and Airservices Australia to progress safe and timely implementation of satellite based augmentation systems in the air traffic management environment.

(h)     assist the Australian Space Agency in forming their regulatory framework for high powered rockets and provide timely approvals and advice for operation under their regulations to ensure safe integrations into the air traffic management environment.

(i)       continue to share safety information consistently with the Safety Information Policy Statement agreed with the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

(j)       maintain international and regional aviation safety engagement through effective engagement in the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and strategic support of aviation safety initiatives in the Asia-Pacific region.

(k)     continue to ensure CASA’s training and recruitment strategies provide the organisation with the skills and expertise to meet the current and emerging challenges in aviation safety regulation.

5.        Stakeholder Engagement

I expect CASA will continue to:

(a)      undertake effective and ongoing engagement with the aviation industry to create a collaborative relationship based on a foundation of mutual understanding and respect.

(b)     communicate clearly and regularly with relevant Government agencies, industry and other key stakeholders regarding CASA’s activities and functions.

©      work closely with my Department and other Government agencies, including the Australian Transport Safety Bureau, Airservices Australia and the Department of Defence, to deliver integrated and comprehensive safety advice to the Government, the aviation industry and the community.

Also via the Oz:

Agencies ordered to prioritise safety

[Image: 130215a11b0a4d0538de7bac2bd6aada?width=650]

A new statement of expectations has been issued to Australia’s aviation agencies with the key message that “safety is the federal government’s absolute number one priority”.

Airservices Australia, the Australian Transport Safety ­Bureau and the Civil Aviation Safety Authority have been ­provided with the statement formalising the government’s expectations concerning operation and performance.

Deputy Prime Minister ­Michael McCormack said the government was proud of a safety record that had placed Australia in the top six of International Civil Aviation Organisation member states.

“This is all about ensuring our agencies remain world leaders by preserving and enhancing their skills, knowledge and functions over the coming term of government,” Mr McCormack said.

The statement follows the reintroduction to parliament last week of changes to the Civil Aviation Act that seek to take into account the cost of regulation while maintaining the primacy of safety. Pilots have raised concerns about the amendments, fearing they will lead to a watering down of safety standards in favour of profits.

Mr McCormack said the government was very conscious of the challenges faced by small business around the country and the “need to remove unnecessary costs and regulatory burden”. “It is important we continue to support an aviation industry that is safe, dynamic and sustainable with a regulatory system that is responsive and proportionate to risks,” he said.

https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines...3a81f6c186

And so it goes round and round, the never ending spin cycle of a totally inept, totally captured minister signing off another 2 years of bureaucratic inflicted mystique of aviation safety purgatory, on an industry already struggling to survive against thousands upon thousands of pages of barely decipherable, criminal code strict liability regulations - FDS!  Angry 

All this crap about aviation safety being the highest priority and yet there the DFO sits... Dodgy

[Image: D-bsXXIUwAAHwj8.jpg]

Quote:Great to see the ‘Public Interest’ being served by this new proposal at Essendon. Lots more opportunity for shopping. Lots more opportunity for residential development.  Lots more opportunity for short term real estate development with a good ROI.  Bugger aviation and the critical role it plays in our economy.  They can fly from somewhere else.  

Methinks the long term plan is to close down the airfield altogether using the ‘death-by-a-thousand-cuts’ method big developers have honed to perfection with tacit government approval.  It goes something like this:  ‘hey mate, stick in the application, no worries.  We’ll take care of it..  it’ll go through the normal approvals process using the flawed ‘affordable risk’ methodology we’ve been using for years without consequence.  Don’t worry about all that international shit.  We give lip service to that so it looks as if we are meeting that standard when nothing could be....well, you know.  Then when you find there’s reduced air traffic you can put an argument for further reductions in width and length and we’ll go with that because, clearly, aviation is giving you a poor ROI...we can’t have that, can we?  We can’t stifle the market place!  And Bob’s your father’s brother. Oh, and about that donation for a good cause........!

Of course this is a purely fictional account of what might happen bearing no resemblance to those living or dead!  

In the interim the public and fliers are at risk and not just along the sides of runways but at the ends where there ARE NO PUBLIC SAFETY ZONES courtesy NASF which is not interested in looking after the public at end of runways for established airfields.  Nup, you’re on your own.  School kids, local residents count for nothing.  Just an affordable payout should things go pear-shaped.  Tells us something about the value governments puts on human life.  The message, for those of you who’ve missed it, is humans are a commodity with a certain value, and that value is the price of doing business.  How much are you worth!

https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...4#pid10424

Meanwhile back at the Fort, the Avery and the OnePIE trough, it is business as usual... Rolleyes

[Image: D-eTWoGUcAAnK9_.jpg]      

Via the Senate Budget Estimates webpage: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus...mates/rrat

Before reading the following ATSB AQON on Sen Rex's QON on Angel Flight, keep this in mind from the Emmerson ASRR submission

Quote:...Regulatory practice changed in 1987/88. Instead of designating a body of officials, the Parliament appointed a body corporate to perform the aviation safety functions. BASI was identified as the “watch dog” which was to keep the new body on the straight narrow. The immediate convenience to the Government was that aviation safety funding came “off Budget”, and a whipping boy was created to shield the Minister by absorbing the complaints of the industry...  

ATSB AQON:

Quote:Senator Rex Patrick: asked the Australian Transport Safety Bureau on 8 April 2019

Senator PATRICK: I'm being really specific. I really would like an answer to this.
Have you talked to a number of Angel Flight pilots-if so, how many-in respect of
pressures that might be put on them relating to community service flights?
Mr Hood: We have talked to Angel Flight pilots. I'd have to take on notice how many.
Answer —
Over the course of the investigation (AO-2017-169), the ATSB interviewed a number
of pilots with varying backgrounds. The ATSB can provide a number after
completion of its investigation.

P2 comment: Is that code for 'there were no pilots interviewed' but by the time the final report comes out (???) there will be... Huh

Senator Rex Patrick: asked the Australian Transport Safety Bureau on 8 April 2019

Senator PATRICK: I will leave it at that. Can I ask Mr Hood to take a question on
notice? Let's assume your report comes out in about a month.
Mr Hood: My understanding is that an extensive submission was received only late
last week. Usually it would take us around a month to incorporate any changes that
might need to be made in the final report. Then it goes to the commission for public
approval to release. I would say that the second week of May would be the earliest. It
would be around the 18th, I think-
Senator PATRICK: When are our questions on notice due back?
CHAIR: The date is 23 May or 22 May.
Senator PATRICK: Can I ask-and you'll have an option, if you haven't released the
report at that stage, to advance any public interest immunity that you need to-
Mr Hood: Sorry, Senator, I've missed the question.
Senator PATRICK: I haven't come to the question. I'm just saying that you'll have the
opportunity to advance a public interest immunity if your report hasn't been published
and the answers need to come back before that. Go through the current regulation
before the Senate and simply indicate whether any of the terms or provisions would
have changed the outcome of the Mount Gambier accident?
Mr Hood: Senator, we'll take on notice to have a look at what we can do in that
regard.
Answer —
The ATSB is unable to provide comment as to whether the proposed regulatory
provisions would have changed the outcome. The ATSB notes the regime introduced
by CASA is intended to address broader risks identified by CASA. Questions with
respect to how the regime addresses those risks are a matter for CASA.

P2 comment: In other words the CASA Iron Ring have told the Hooded Canary to butt out which kind of negates any pretense for the ATSB being an effective 'watch dog' - more like a lap dog I would say... Rolleyes

Next is a copy of correspondence (pdf pg 27 - HERE ) from the then acting DAS/CEO St Commode to Harfwit, which would seem to indicate Airservices told CASA to boil their bum on the regulator's expected timelines for the establishment of ARFFS for Proserpine etc..etc   

Quote:[Image: ARFFS-1.jpg]
[Image: ARFFS-2.jpg]

Hmm...and that was 2.5 years ago and we are still waiting on the MOS Part 139H amendments. Kind of gives you an insight into who is rooting who and who is paying and guess what it has nothing to do with aviation safety - OneSKY rules OK!... Dodgy

[Image: D9juB2tU0AIp64a.jpg]

LMH nails it on WOFTAM SOE -  Wink

Quote:
Quote:"Sorry to contradict you, CASA, but that's the reality."

The Minister for Infrastructure and Transport today issued both CASA and Airservices with new Statements of Expectation (SOE). An SOE is a legislative instrument that lays out what the government of the day expects of them, hence the name. Theoretically, being legislation, it is a violation of federal law if SOEs are not complied with. But like all laws they are only as good as the determination to enforce them. The SOEs are being accompanied by bolstering statements of the government's intent to enforce, but keep in mind that most SOEs were written with the collaboration of the department to which they are issued. That sets up a situation where the SOE tends to include only those things that the agency wants to comply with anyway ... plus a few things the department wants in as PR that are written in language so grey that they are impossible to enforce. In CASA's SOE there is the ongoing statement about cost and impact. It's all very nice, but completely negated by the expectation that safety is primary. And who gets to decide what is and isn't safe? CASA. Consequently, there is virtually no way of forcing CASA to take cost into account, because they will always deploy the golden shield of safety to get their own way. Take Part 135 for example. If the department was serious they'd tell CASA to set a match to it. If adopted in its entirety, Part 135 will load significant costs on charter operators without any increase in safety. Sorry to contradict you, CASA, but that's the reality. Another: if the department was serious they would immediately instigate a parliamentary inquiry into why the regulatory reform program is still not complete after 31 years. It's not enough to expect; you need to make sure the consequences of not conforming are enforced. And that, Minister McCormack, is the aviation industry's Statement of Expectations to you.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/the-l...PxAiTaX.99

MTF...P2  Tongue
Thread Closed

Messages In This Thread
Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by Kharon - 07-23-2018, 07:54 AM
RE: Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by Gobbledock - 07-23-2018, 10:28 AM
RE: Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by Peetwo - 07-23-2018, 02:54 PM
RE: Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by Gobbledock - 07-23-2018, 04:28 PM
RE: Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by P7_TOM - 07-23-2018, 08:16 PM
RE: Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by thorn bird - 07-23-2018, 08:34 PM
RE: Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by Kharon - 07-24-2018, 08:20 AM
RE: Shame or Fame for McCormack. - by Gobbledock - 07-24-2018, 01:10 PM