AOPA Australia -

It occurs to me Sandy, that "We are all in this together" is the most incongruous statement ever made, maybe indicative of just how divided we are as an industry or more broadly we are as a nation, because for sure we are not all in this together.

A government, be it a democracy or totalitarian, does not rule without consensus, either by the people in the first case, or by whatever agency can threaten and cow the population. As we have seen through history, when the majority of the people get really pissed off your friendly neighbourhood despot doesn't last long, not too many tyrants get to ride off into the sunset.

As K alludes, which I have been trying to get in peoples heads, divided we lose, united we win. I just don't understand why in Australia, by and large, competing ego's continually frustrate all efforts to reach consensus and attack the real enemy instead of each other.

CAsA of course, as good tyrants do, manipulates this very well.

As far as GA goes the "We are all in this together" is bitter sweet. As the industry slowly collapses under the weight of bureaucratic impositions of CAsA and those of the Covid panic, our oppressors sit happily in their bubble, drawing full salary and all the perks. Not a single person within CAsA has sacrificed a brass farthing throughout the pandemic. Given the ever diminishing industry, how could any reasonable person say they are gainfully employed, especially when they are paid vastly more than their industry equivalents.

We as an industry are paying for our executioners to kill us, and they are not even doing that humanely, we are being killed by a thousand regulatory cuts.

One dose of reality - please.

Sandy - "All the same agreed it would be ideal to have a single voice, but is it realistic to expect?"

Is it realistic? Good question Sandy. Let me (with your indulgence) rephrase it. Is it realistic to continue on as we are? The answer is a bloody great big, resounding NO!. History, facts and the state of the industry fully support the singularity - NO!

Gods know, full well every possible avenue has been explored, the tales from honest, competent, intelligent folk who weighed in thirty years ago match similar stories told by today's crowd of those who tried to penetrate the veil. Ergo:-

"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.”

Sandy "I can think of many other business groups that have their own associations, but few if any that encompass such a variety the likes of GA."

Aye: but - if one strips away the various uses of aviation - from regional airlines down to basic flight school; the parallels become remarkable. All have the same basic needs, all have the same bottom line - the use of aircraft, the need to remain 'out of the red' and to be able to legitimately conduct their business, whatever that may be.

From Big Q all the way down to Fred's one man Flight School all suffer from the same malady. All struggle under the existing system - the degree of suffrage varies - but, in essence, stripped of scale, the same old song is heard.

The industry has no one else to blame but themselves - they have allowed 'divide and conquer' to become 'the norm' subjugated through concession and a fear of taking a misstep on the tightrope they are obliged to walk to avoid being 'noticed', singled out and made an example of 'Mummy smack' if you talk back.  Time to set aside fear and 'man-up'. United they form a powerful voice - as it stands now, they are seen as a rag-tag bunch of self interested, noisy amateurs, fractured and disjointed. Easy to beat. Take a long hard look at the Aerial Application outfit - united, under good leadership - and see how well they have done.

Aye well; that's my two bob's worth shout (FWIW)  - but, the difference between an orchestra 'tuning up' and a well conducted symphony is remarkable. It is the symphony which earns the brass and the gains the kudos.

BM attacks CASA 'divide & conquer' rule -  Sad

Via the Yaffa:

Quote: [Image: morgan_ausfly19_web.jpg]

AOPA accuses CASA of playing Games with GA

18 November 2021

AOPA Australia CEO Ben Morgan has taken the opportunity afforded by the impending weight limit increase for RAAus to accuse CASA of playing games with general aviation.

The new limit, expected to be published on 2 December, will mean that RAAus will be able to administer aircraft with a maximum take-off weight (MTOW) of 760 kg rather than the 600-kg limit they are restricted to now.

However, CASA has retained a minimum stall speed for the aircraft of 45 knots, which eliminates many aircraft and which some manufacturers are saying will be almost impossible to meet.

Despite CASA having active technical working groups (TWG) on the stall speed and self-certfied medical issue, Morgan believes that real reforms won't happen until CASA stops defining pilot privileges based on MTOW.

"I think what every RAAus pilot in Australia needs to see is exactly what AOPA has been banging-on about now for the six years I've been with them, which is [CASA] plays games with us.

"Instead of recognising that take-off weight has nothing to do with a pilot's competency to fly, CASA goes and provides an arbitrary weight limit increase, but they leave the stall speeds alone.

"They're playing games with the RAAus pilots as much as they play games with the general aviation pilots, and I think what's important for the RAAus pilot community to see is that they are not immune to the same types of games that end up damaging the aviation industry.

"[RAAus pilots] are part of the same aviation eco-system in which we are all being handcuffed by people imposing restrictions on us that should not exist."

RAAus has indicated that they are disappointed that the CAO 95.55 exemptions due for release on 2 December would not enable a higher stall speed, but is providing technical advise through the TWG.

Although broadly supporting the new MTOW limits, Morgan says that the 760-kg weight and self-certfied medicals form two pillars that CASA is using to divide the general aviation community.

"If you look at CASA's approach regarding pilot medicals and its arbitrary allocation of weights, it is a complete fallacy; it's the big lie," he told Australian Flying.

"The big lie is that we as pilots need to be told how heavy our aeroplanes need be, we as pilots need to be told we have to go through either extremely ridiculous over-the-top and cost-laden processes to be determined fit to fly, or you can have self-certification.

"The whole thing is a nonsense."

Morgan cited the experiences of other countries where he says dropping the Class 2 medical requirements has not brought about a decrease in aviation safety.

"The UK and the USA, and other leading nations around the world have all years ago reformed their systems and recognised that in order to open up aviation and get aviation moving right across the spectrum, not just for one group, but for the entire aviation industry, you have to adopt a self-certification medical standard and you have to allow people to fly aeroplanes of choice," he said.

"The safety data coming out of the US right now is showing that self-certification medicals have not resulted in any increase in accident or fatalities full-stop. It just hasn't happened."

The USA's Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) introduced the BasicMED system in 2017, which enabled pilots to fly aircraft that are certified to carry no more than five passengers and with an MTOW of up to 2721 kg on a self-certified medical standard, among other conditions.

"What I am looking forward to now is the next set of excuses from CASA as to why it can't fix the system; why it can't introduce self-certification medicals," Morgan said. "We need only to reflect back to the senate inquiries of the past years when we've seen CASA representatives stand there hand-on-heart and tell the government that we don't allow self-certification medicals because aircraft that weigh more than 600 kg pose a higher risk.

"Clearly these aircraft don't pose a risk. We know that's the case, we know that's the big lie."

Morgan also issued a call to every RAAus pilot to get behind the efforts of AOPA Australia in the hope that one day they will be able to train to fly aircraft of even greater MTOWs than 760 kg on a self-certified medical.

A CASA spokesperson said the regulator was bewildered with Morgan's comments and pointed out that AOPA representatives are on the TWGs for both the maximum stall speed for RAAus and the self-certified medical (Class 5) for GA.

"Consultation on the development of a new class of self-declared medicals for general aviation pilots is underway," the spokesperson said.

"A change to the maximum take-off weight for sport and recreational aircraft has been announced and consultation on the associated stall speed has begun.

"These issues and others are being progressed through technical working groups made up of a cross-section of people from the relevant aviation sectors. This work is being undertaken as soon as practical.

"Once details of the proposed changes are settled through the technical working group process, CASA will give the aviation community the opportunity to have their say through the normal broad consultation process.

"In addition to maintaining safety, CASA is committed to cutting regulatory red tape where changes do not have an adverse effect on safety and can be applied in a fair and equitable manner.

"AOPA is aware of the work currently being undertaken and members of the organisation are contributing to the technical working groups.  We thank these people for their time and expertise.

"CASA is working closely with RA-AUS to have issues settled early in 2022.  We thank RAAus for their constructive approach to the development of these reforms."

Plus EWH's LMH OP on this:

Quote:Ben Morgan has teed-off at CASA over what he sees as an apparent reluctance to engage on some reforms, accusing them of playing games over the self-certified medical, and the increase in MTOW expected to be handed to RAAus in early December. It's not so much the new 760-kg limits that is the problem, but a permissible increase is stall speed that didn't happen. When the amendments to CAO 95.55 come outnecessary because the TWG torpedoed CASR Part 135it will demand a 45-knot maximum stall speed. RAAus has expressed disappointment; AOPA has gone troppo. But the reality is that an increase in the maximum stall speed is very likely to happen ... it just should have happened in conjunction with the MTOW increase. CASA's processes managed to split the issues when they are actually tied very tightly, resulting in blood letting because people in the community have rightly inferred that one was being implemented without the other. And that includes me. CASA has not backed away at any time from its position that an increase in the maximum stall speed is a major leap for RAAus, and not one CASA was going to allow without a lot of due diligence being done. Now that the MOS for Part 135 is back on the Etch-a-Sketch, it is hoped the TWGs will work out how to grant a higher stall speed and fold it into the new MOS.

UFB!  Dodgy

MTF...P2  Tongue

Ben Morgan (AOPA Oz) on Facebook live - Shy

AOPA AUSTRALIA - KEEPING THE PRESSURE ON!

- Thank You for Support
- Senate RRAT Inquiry & CASA
- ATSB Investigation Discontinued
- Bankstown Airport North Redevelopment
- Destruction of Aviation History
- Upcoming Major AOPA Australia announcement
- Become a Member and Stand with Us

Senator Susan McDonald Barnaby Joyce Senator Glenn Sterle Senator Rex Patrick AusGov Infrastructure Civil Aviation Safety Authority - CASA 9 News 7NEWS Australia ABC Australia SBS News

Plus comments:

Quote:Sandy Reith

Government has also forgotten that GA airports are National security assets. Many, if not most of the most important were hurriedly constructed during World War 11. Why? Because airlift gives speedy transport for all sorts of crucial elements in time of war. Maintaining these assets for aviation is showing our strength and commitment to our security.

Building warehouses and factories over airports is like building across railway lines or half closing a freeway because the land is cheaper than the natural freehold market. Ring, write contact your MPs, media and State Senators.

Join AOPA too, it’s the only voice that represents all of us to government.

Andy Longmire

Biggest problem with GA is that it’s always been regarded as the poorer cousin to the “ glamorous “ airline industry. The government will spend billions on a new Western Sydney Airport but try to get even a small amount of funding to a GA airport, well good luck with that! I sometimes wonder where Infrastructure think the pilots that graduate eventually to the domestic and National airlines originally came from. Some from overseas, some from our Defence Forces but the majority from charter and low level RPT. They started in GA! I’ve been flying over 20 years now and have seen a big decline in GA over that time. From closure of small airports either council or private. To the encroachment of non-aviation at Sunshine Coast Airport and now at Bankstown. I guess history means nothing to these bureaucrats people?

Gary Weeks

Yep agreed. There are a lot of very long term public servants that do everything in their power to tin plate their own backsides. They are not interested in doing what could be done to reinvigorate GA. Yes I could name names but no point. Well done Ben, keep at it.

Shannon Baker

It's hard to get rid of govt. Beaurcrats who have been there forever .....

But .... If Pip Spence can re-assign Dr Aleck's role to that of "door greeter" where he has to stand outside all day, in the heat.... No doubt he would resign shortly after... Or.... He can be made redundant from that role as door greeter.
?

Shannon Baker

No GA = then we will be like Europe with 200 hour first officers in A320's / 737 etc.
Wonder how CASA and the politicians would feel about that.

Simon McDermott

It’s happening here on the Sunshine Coast Ben. Can’t secure a new lease if you tried for aviation. But if you are a non aviation you can sign up tomorrow

MTF...P2

The Morgan ensemble de jour; in technicolor.

Having sat through some 35 minutes of watching the Morgan shirt front, a couple of points made deserve some attention. Mind you, I would have really liked to see what is going at YSBK - alas, the change of scene morphed into a stunning view of the Morgan shorts. Say no more.

Point one: ATSB. I note that the bearded popinjay now running the shop has made a splash (no pun intended) by buying into the MH 370 debacle, strangely coincidental with the expected Sky News version shortly to be aired. Passing strange is that; time money, resources and effort spent on highlighting one of the most scandalous episodes in the ATSB history. Many of the outstanding questions still remain unanswered. That aside - how come the serious delays in reports on critical accidents, like the mid-air collision, or the Essendon DFO accident and etc are always so very late - lack of resource (and good old Covid) seem to presented as acceptable reasons for the extensive delays. Now they can't even bother investigating the fatal Jodel accident - where the safety case demonstrates some bloody big holes in the magical CASA safety net. But, the really hard part to swallow is that when a final report is actually presented, it is about as much use as a chocolate firewall. Yet our short wheel base Popinjay, intent on striking the big note (look at me) feels free to utilise scant resources, time and public money to go go public - claiming:-

"I guess me coming in with a due diligence and a new set of eyes, we are to taking a review of the data that we hold there and that’s being done in conjunction with Geoscience Australia,” he told News Corp Australia/Sky News.

BOLLOCKS.............!

Good to hear that AOPA is going to get some long overdue main stream media attention. Scepticism aside for the moment; it would be really good if something - anything good came from the effort. I wish AOPA the best of luck and hope that the carriage of the story makes a difference; even a small one. Industry needs all the help it can get. 'A' for effort Master Morgan - loved the cheese cake leg shots- pin up of the month?

Tea break over -

Ben Morgan AOPA Oz CEO with Senator Roberts (PHON):

Plus: 

And:

MTF...P2  Tongue

Ben Morgan's take on CASA meeting Rolleyes

Courtesy LMH, via the Yaffa:

Quote:CASA understands Need for Change: AOPA

26 May 2022

[Image: morgan_spence2.jpg]

AOPA Australia CEO Ben Morgan came away from a meeting with CASA executives earlier this month confident that the regulator understands the need for general aviation reform.

Morgan met with CASA executives including Chairman Mark Binksin and Director of Aviation Safety (DAS) Pip Spence to discuss the general aviation workplan.

"I had the opportunity to meet with the Chair of the CASA board and the DAS and her executive team, and we're always very appreciative of the ongoing meetings that we are having," he told Australian Flying. "It is clear that CASA understands that there is a need for change.

"At our last meeting it could not have been clearer that there was a consensus in the room that the privileges that are contained within the FAA regulations are something that we need to get done here in Australia.

"I was heartened to hear from the Chair that he held a view that there needs to be change."

Fueling Morgan's optimism is the performance of DAS Pip Spence, who took over as CASA boss over 12 months ago and has overseen the development of the GA workplan. Morgan says Spence is clearly prepared to listen, which throws the onus on advocates to get their arguments straight.

"I've been public in the past with a lot of support for Pip Spence, I think that's she's actually a great DAS," he said. "She's demonstrated that she's always willing to sit, listen and give a fair audience on issues, so I remain really positive in that respect.

"It's on us to advocate and prosecute our case; it's on us as an industry to make sure that we put our best argument forward if there is to be change, and I think there are great arguments for positive change and I think [CASA] understands that."

AOPA Australia, like several other GA lobby groups, has long advocated for the Australian CASRs to be replaced with the USA's Federal Aviation Regulations (FAR), which a succession of CASA Directors of Aviation Safety have resisted in favour of completing the regulatory reform program that began in 1988.

According to Morgan, CASA is still showing no interest in make such a substantial change, preferring to deliver new privileges with the architecture of the existing CASRs.

"Obviously there was a difference of opinion that CASA feels that they can get these changes done within the Australian regulatory framework," he said. "I'd like to believe that they can do that.

"In fact, I'd love nothing more than for CASA to get that done, because we aren't taking any pleasure in being in a position where we're fighting every day of the week to get sensible reform. We just want to get it done."

AOPA Australia clearly feels that the GA community is on the cusp of meaningful reforms; reforms that are the result of years of hard work by AOPA and other advocates. Morgan's campaign for change has been relentless, which he believes is only ever the result of long, hard fights.

"If you want to change the system, you have to have a continuous, tenacious battle, and I think that's what AOPA has been doing over the past five years," he said. "I think we've brought a sense of urgency and awareness around some of the critical issues that has laid a foundation so that change can happen.

"I'm seeing that change happen. The GA roadmap, which is being highly criticised by some in advocacy world, I actually see it as a reasonable roadmap ... if they are committed to getting it done.

"CASA time and time again say the right thing, but then fail to deliver, and I don't that's an out-of-line comment; it's factual."

Two of the key reforms currently in the pipeline are changes to CASR Part 67 to permit self-declared medicals for PPLs as well as a raft of other measures, and developing Part 43, which would introduce new engineering and maintenance rules for general aviation aircraft used in private and airwork operations.

Both parts stand to reduce regulatory burden for GA, and Morgan anticipates that both will go through despite the change of government in Canberra.

"CASA had the support of the Liberal/National government to do this," Morgan points out, "and I hope they've got the support of the Labor government to get this done, because it would not make any sense to stop these reforms.

"We're entering a very interesting time. We may very well be at a crossroad where there is a signal from CASA that the types of change the industry has been pleading for can be done."

Hmm...err no comment -  Shy

[Image: incomingbaby.jpg]

MTF...P2  Tongue

""CASA had the support of the Liberal/National government to do this," Morgan points out, "and I hope they've got the support of the Labor government to get this done, because it would not make any sense to stop these reforms.

"We're entering a very interesting time. We may very well be at a crossroad where there is a signal from CASA that the types of change the industry has been pleading for can be done."

Sadly, no.

'Snookered'.

"If you are snookered by something, it is difficult or impossible for you to take action or do what you want to do."

Or, there's a hole in the bucket - the old favourite of children intent on torturing parents; in it's own way a poignant lesson in the way of avoiding work that needs to be done - Henry snookers Liza - game over.

Clearly the aviation industry in Australia is in the same boat - and, no matter what is done, be it Senate Inquiry, appeals to the minister, audits - domestic and international, for three decades now, no matter the logic, argument or appeal - nothing has changed for the better. The big question is - how does the industry 'fix it'?  Nothing, absolutely nothing of substance has changed. Not even the lure of increased revenue through a profitable sector has induced real meaningful reform; not even a demonstrated hint that the FACT of adopting the international 'gold standard' of regulation will bring international acceptance and harmonisation has provided even a glimmer of hope for 'change'.

Morgan - "Obviously there was a difference of opinion that CASA feels that they can get these changes done within the Australian regulatory framework," he said. "I'd like to believe that they can do that".

Oh, for pities sake!

Morgan - "I'd like to believe that they can do that".

I too would like to believe I can end world poverty, hunger, disease and war; I'd be dreaming of course. When you work backwards from the latest 'audit' to the very first appeal for sanity in the first 'inquiry' - there is only one definable thread of truth running through the story. Should history bore you, then look no further back the Forsyth review and the Pel-Air brangle. There was over 60 recommendations made - not one change has been made within the spirit and intent of the recommendation - treated as 'opinion', whitewashed and flushed.

Morgan - "It's on us to advocate and prosecute our case; it's on us as an industry to make sure that we put our best argument forward if there is to be change, and I think there are great arguments for positive change and I think [CASA] understands that."

When ICAO, the Senate, the big guns of industry and some bloody good 'lobbyists' have been been danced around the table and shown the door; what chance does AOPA think they have of changing anything of substance, within our lifetimes? If an 'expert - like David Forsyth failed to make a serious impact what earthly chance does has the noisy, unqualified, inconsistent, Morgan with zero industry experience think he's got. AOPA is dreaming and no matter how much money they can throw at that dream - they just don't have enough clout or credibility to signify. Moreover, the latest missive from Morgan highlights but one simple fact - he has been carefully drawn into the web of deceit - captive and turned - now batting for the opposition. Had CASA any intention of changing - there have been bigger levers pulled, by better men with absolutely nothing to show for it.

If a good example of 'how to' bring in the possibility of change was needed; look no further than AMROBA and Cannane. There's a fellah who (a) knows what he is shooting at: (b) understands 'how' the system works and which buttons work best: © how to speak to those who matter; (d) has the background, credibility and expertise to actually get the ball rolling in the right direction. AOPA could well follow his (or Phil Hurst's) example.

If AOPA want to effect change, then expertise, experience, credibility, integrity and qualification is needed. The last thing AOPA need is their 'watchdog' scampering about, wetting itself, waging its tail and rolling over for a belly rub; amusing as it is to watch.

Morgan - "I've been public in the past with a lot of support for Pip Spence, I think that's she's actually a great DAS," he said. "She's demonstrated that she's always willing to sit, listen and give a fair audience on issues, so I remain really positive in that respect.

Toot toot...don't give a hoot.....

In Parramatta Local Court.

Since 2014 - one individual stood his ground against the CASA behemoth; it is quite a battle. Not quite over yet, there is another innings to follow; but the auguries are good for a righteous result - fingers crossed etc......MTF.

Please watch the AOPA video and the Morgan take on the proceedings. I believe this is the first taste Morgan has ever had of the way CASA operates and it has shaken him to the core. For those who've been through the mill - and learnt the hard way exactly what they face, then the 'shock' factor in this case registers about 50% on that scale, the 'surprise' count about 0%. For a neophyte virgin, like Morgan, the enormity of what he is challenging has finally dawned. Yes Ben, it is bloody dreadful, truly horrible yet they have been allowed to operate this way, unchecked, for donkeys years and getting away with it,Scot free.

https://ne-np.facebook.com/AOPAaustralia...794545429/

When this case is over a new landmark question over CASA credibility and integrity will be raised; no longer will the AAT be able to take CASA word as the gospel, unvarnished truth; not beyond reasonable doubt in a court it will won't..

Toot - toot.

Are you sure the courts are not as bent as CASA Kharon? As my old grandaddy used to say "the law is for everyone, justice is for them that can afford it".

(05-26-2022, 06:51 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  Ben Morgan's take on CASA meeting Rolleyes

Courtesy LMH, via the Yaffa:

Quote:CASA understands Need for Change: AOPA

26 May 2022

[Image: morgan_spence2.jpg]

Hmm...err no comment -  Shy

[Image: incomingbaby.jpg]

Facebook comments - Rolleyes

Via Facebook:

Quote:Sandy Reith

Isn’t that nice?

Benjamin Morgan

Sandy Reith whilst I appreciate the frustration with the system, I am uncertain as to what benefit it would produce by attacking the DAS at every turn? As the article states, AOPA Australia met with the DAS and Board Chair, and there was a consensus on the need for key reforms to medicals, maintenance and flight instruction to help the industry. Yes, there was a difference in opinion as to how we make those changes (ie. FAA v CASA Regulations), and there is still a great deal of work to do in relation to achieving the results. This all said, advocacy has its best chance for success when we are all at the table, which we are at this time.

Damien Sparky Nott

Benjamin Morgan Yes there is a need - a *dire* need - for immediate reform, otherwise we'll have no industry at all. However, the current DAS is not the right person for the job, and the board is a toothless tiger.

FAR's all the way - our current regulations are a dog's breakfast and not fit for purpose. Used to be our neighbours used CAsA regs, now they've mostly switched to the NZ regs. Why is that, I wonder?? Strict liability must go as it detracts from safety. How many incidents go unreported because of the real fear that CAsA will go after you? One only has to look at the current proceedings which you have been covering to see the lengths CAsA will go to in order to get their man, by hook or by crook. If they don't like you, you're gone.

The solution is so simple, but must have political will to get done. And *that* is sadly lacking.

Sandy Reith

Mate I’m not saying “attack” I’m saying put the facts and prosecute our case forcefully and make it clear that sympathy is not sufficient. We need to lobby MPs because talking to CASA, whilst necessary, is mostly wasting time. Also please don’t tell them we think we have a “great” DAS because Ms. Spence might think enough has been done.

She has been in the job from 17th. May ‘21 and received for six weeks work to 30th June 2021 $253,089.00 according to the CASA annual report.

In 12 months CASA has removed the Cessna SIDs for PVT and AWK which should not have been there in the first place. Value for money? Parliament is where we must expend our greatest energies, one reform per annum is too slow. As for the Board, they’ve done nothing and won’t instruct CEO Spence.

Sandy Reith

Damien Sparky Nott how true and our AOPA needs to engage with the membership via email so we can energise the political campaign that has to be our main focus.

MTF...P2  Tongue

BM on Oz Airline bailouts, while GA struggles to survive -  Dodgy   

Via Michael West: 

Quote:Qantas Smiles: shareholders and executives grin, customers and staff grit their teeth

[Image: alan.joyce_.jpg]

Quote:Big pay, big say

Since then, Qantas itself has wolfed down more than $2bn in public money and shed 9400 staff. Some 2000 were axed unlawfully, according to the recent Federal Court decision. And now its chief executive Alan Joyce is back making acquisitions again, using the public rescue to buy other companies and a bunch of new planes. And his pay, along with other executives, is once again on the rise.

Joyce topped Australia’s pay leagues in 2018 with a thumping $24m and has been one of Australia’s best paid executives over the years, if not the best, taking this mantle from the infamous Macquarie bankers, also ironically the winners from another government bail-out during the Global Financial Crisis.

But what has the public got in return for its Morrison government largesse? Look no further than the MacBank logo for this answer … a slick donut.

Well actually, we did get airport queues and chaos, a deluge of customer complaints, rising acrimony, falling service standards and another company simply too big to fail.

In effect, Joyce has has been rewarded for breaking the law (he is appealing the Federal Court’s decision on unlawfully sacking 2000 Qantas staff, using Qantas subsidised shareholders’ funds, to the High Court). It has raked in more subsidies than any other company, and the government has sponsored Joyce’s restructure of the airline and its new fleet, enhancing the value of Joyce’s own stock in the process.

And then from BM via FB:

Quote:MICHAEL WEST GIVES IT BOTH BARRELS:  QUESTIONING THE NON-BAILOUT BAILOUTS GIVEN TO QANTAS DURING PANDEMIC

Independent journalist Michael West has published an eviscerating opinion piece this week 13th June, bringing into question the government aviation support package given to QANTAS during the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.

The article makes for an interesting read and raises some poignant questions.

All up, QANTAS, REX and a handful of smaller regional airline operators we're the direct beneficiaries of the Government's $4.5billion total public tax-payer funded support package.

Then Deputy Prime Minister, Michael McCormack MP, famously stood in front of a  camera and stated that; "...it was not for the government to pick winners or losers".  In practicality however, the airlines did win enormous support and everyone else across the aviation industry did not.

External to the airlines the national general aviation charter, flight training and maintenance business community were all left in the dark and expected to fend for themselves, with only the JobKeeper support available.

As a result of the above, many general aviation businesses closed up shop, unable to pay their bills or function with the aviation industry shutdown around them.  The losses incurred by our small to medium sized aviation industry have been staggering, with the largest loss of people, skills and trades in the history of civil aviation in Australia.  In many respects, it was a wipe out.

During this time, AOPA Australia sought assistance from the Government and the Deputy Prime Minister for these businesses, and at every turn was either ignored or brushed off.  Without question, small to medium sized general aviation was left to die on the vine, expected to deal with it themselves.
Meanwhile, between 2019 to 2021 the government airline sector support package grew, month by month, starting out at several hundred million and growing until it peaked at some $4.5billion in total Government support.

All of the support to the airline industry was provided without any requirement for the money to ever be repaid.  Billions handed away, free money.

The rub, is that every last participant of the general aviation industry that works hard and pays tax, along with the broader Australian public all funded this $4.5billion dollar largess.  The Government was not handing away its own money, it was handing away the public's money, reaching into the pockets of those within our communities that are doing the toughest.

Sure, the airline industry needed the support and I doubt that anyone in the aviation industry in Australia would disagree with that position.  The real issue here, is that it was given away, not loaned.

And, how does the airline industry feel about this free money?  Take a look at the following news article:

REGIONAL EXPRESS AIRLINE PREPARES $12 MILLION IN EXECUTIVE BONUS SHARES AFTER COVID-19 BAILOUT

Australia wants a strong airline industry, and we very much value the contribution that the airlines make to our aviation industry ecosystem.  But equally, Australia must have a strong and vibrant general aviation sectors, providing small charter, flight training, and aircraft maintenance.  Without this, the industry cannot survive.

The airlines can and must play a role in helping the general aviation industry recover and be a major catalyst for recovery.

Imagine how much stronger the aviation industry would be, if the airlines (without government intervention) took it upon themselves to repay the COVID-19 support package? That all the support money be re-invested into an aviation industry development and innovation fund managed by the general aviation industry's peak-bodies, for the purpose of supporting the recovery of the small to medium sized general aviation sectors and industry.

That would be nation-building, and it would be profound.

During the airline industry's toughest hours, the Australian people extended their hand of support to them, and it is now time for the airlines to return the favour.

QANTAS, REX and the others, now have an opportunity.  The question is, do they have the moral fabric to do it.

Just my thought of the day.

MTF...P2  Tongue

Is this really ASIC Card Reform? Government Poised to Create New Issuing Bureacracy

In June of 2021 the Department of Home Affairs invited the aviation industry's ASIC Card Issuing Bodies to participate in a survey that sought feedback on five questions around the concept of a single issuing body.

Issuers took part in the questionnaire willingly, thinking the Department was seeking ways to improve the working partnership and relationships.

However, some months later they were caught entirely off guard by a government press release, which informed that on the 25th January 2022, the Minister for Home Affairs, the Hon Karen Andrews MP, had announced the Government’s decision to implement a single government issuing authority for the aviation and maritime security identification card (ASIC and MSIC) schemes.

And, just like that.... a new government-run bureaucracy and 'authority' is born, and in doing so removing competition and choice from the market.

No doubt, in the long term this will result in a more expensive system that will be plagued by delays and inefficiency.

AOPA Australia is not aware of any consultation undertaken with the broader aviation industry or aviation user stakeholders, seeking to understand what the impacts of such changes would be.

The government has since communicated that it will commence closing out the existing Issuing Bodies as early as March next year.

AOPA Australia will be making a formal submission to Minister for Home Affairs and Cyber Security, The Hon Claire O'Neil MP, opposing the creation of a new government-run issuing body, citing a range of genuine concerns. A copy of our submission will be published online.

MTF...P2  Tongue

AOPA Oz on a roll -  Rolleyes

Quote:INDEPENDENT FLIGHT INSTRUCTORS:  KEY TO GENERAL AVIATION REVITALISATION AND LONG-TERM SUCCESS

I wish to extend my sincere thanks and appreciation to the flight instructors who attended our AOPA Australia offices at Bankstown Airport today, to discuss the need for independent flying instructors.  The message from the group could not be any clearer or simple;  Independent Flying Instructors are desperately needed to help re-activate flight training across Australia.

We need only look to the United States to see the long-term success and benefits that independent flight instructors deliver to their national aviation industry, which remains the worlds largest and most successful aviation economy.

Our association is in full support and has been publicly calling on CASA for many years to bring forward the necessary regulatory provisions that would deliver this outcome. 

CASA must move this essential reform forward and without delay.  The time for debate has long-passed and we need CASA to take swift action in delivering this vital outcome.

Regards,

BENJAMIN MORGAN

[Image: 306084532_544566000806826_11369655066516...e=631FAB09]

Quote:Steve Curtis

Grab a copy of ICAO Annex 1 Personnel Licencing and have a read. If CASA are truely harmonising with ICAO guidelines, they would allow independent flight instructors.

And:

Quote:AOPA AUSTRALIA WELCOMES LORRAINE MACGILLIVRAY, AND INVITES MEMBERS AND SUPPORTERS TO AUSFLY 2022!
A quick video to extend my thanks and appreciation to Lorraine MacGillivray our new Association Membership Manager, along with sending a nationwide invitation for recreational, sport, experimental and general aviation aircraft owners and pilots to join us at AUSFLY 2022, 15th to 17th September - Narromine Airport NSW.

Take a moment to register for AUSFLY at: https://ausfly.com.au/?fbclid=IwAR0sVfjT...Ohj4Lm0TvY

BENJAMIN MORGAN

MTF...P2  Tongue

Clinton McKenzie new Director AOPA Oz -  Wink

Via YouTube: 

Plus:

Quote:VERTIPORTS… MORE CASA REGULATIONS, MEANWHILE CRITICAL REFORM LAY STAGNANT

AOPA Australia CEO Benjamin Morgan responds to the CASA Briefing this week!

And:

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Australia
1 d
  ·
OPINION:  VERTIPORTS, HELIPORTS OR AIRPORTS, AVIATION NEEDS REFORM ACTION NOW!

To follow on from Ben’s commentary on Vertiports;

An article was published in August of this year, informing of a proposed development at Caribbean Gardens in Melbourne for a new Vertiport facility. The question is where are you going to? Another vertiport? Where? How many of these vertiports are going to be needed?

These are supposed to improve logistics and regional connectivity! So is this why developers and the government are systematically destroying the General Aviation sector and associated infrastructure?

Doesn’t General Aviation support logistics, regional connectivity and provide a multitude of services that I don’t think our Government or regulators even understand?

How many politicians fly to airports around Australia?

I wonder if the Ministers jump in their private charter flights will like to jump in an electric air taxi and jump from vertiport to vertiport? So are there vertiports at all regional and suburban locations?

So by the time this all happens, even if it ever did the current industry and aviation infrastructure will be destroyed to the extent (and that is well on the way) that it seriously limits our logistics to many distant locations around Australia, a country with communities that seriously rely on and need aviation.

There will not even be available real-estate for this concept to be in enough locations to make it a viable option. Not to mention the cost of electricity!! This is nowhere near being well thought out.
Not a member of AOPA then please join so we can protect your airports, your logistics and your regional connectivity and your right to fly.

LORRAINE MACGILLIVRAY
Director and Membership Manager
Email:  lorraine@aopa.com.au

MTF...P2  Tongue

What then, is 'Folly'.?...

To some, it is:-

“A costly ornamental building with no practical purpose, especially a tower or mock-Gothic ruin built in a large garden or park.”

Having defined what the building is – we need look no further than the Canberra edifice which houses our aviation “safety watchdogs” for example; - but wait, there's more. One has to wonder if living isolated from the real world, in 'a folly' does not induce some form external exhibition of the essence of 'folly': that of the political human side of the word?

“In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly.”

Seems Master Morgan of the AOPA has managed to provoke a response from not only the inutile DOIT but also from the leader of the CASA Fool-Aide club. Oh dear, oh dear: Oh deary me. 

Well done Ben and AOPA – they took the time to not only read out, on face-book, those responses; then rather than curling up into a ball – Morgan took to the task of responding with not only gusto; but hard facts, logic and the opinion of most of the aviation world. It ain't just the locals who despair – there is some genuinely large  international eye brows raised.

That will now be compounded; they should never, ever taken the bait and have responded to Morgan – talk about taking a knife to a gunfight – Holy smoke; there is real folly in responding, because now the gloves are off and it is a street fight, in the open, in public. It will take very little more bluff, bull-shit and bluster from Spence and crew to take the lid off the can of worms CASA have been trying to keep a lid on for years and years. The Genie of fact, supported by evidence, errors and mismanagement and possibly even malfeasance can very easily escape the bottle.

There are always two options in any bar room brawl; don't bite: say nothing and walk away or, take you jacket off – given the time of course. (Never happened in any brawl I engaged in by the way).

Watch and listen as Morgan fights his corner _ _ HERE _ _ on Facebook (no log in) just toggle the video – and stock up on the popcorn.

“Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and scarce in that.”

Toot – toot – (unlike Sydney ferries; the houseboat is always ready to roll).

(11-28-2022, 04:30 PM)Kharon Wrote:  What then, is 'Folly'.? - Part II

To some, it is:-

“A costly ornamental building with no practical purpose, especially a tower or mock-Gothic ruin built in a large garden or park.”

Having defined what the building is – we need look no further than the Canberra edifice which houses our aviation “safety watchdogs” for example; - but wait, there's more. One has to wonder if living isolated from the real world, in 'a folly' does not induce some form external exhibition of the essence of 'folly': that of the political human side of the word?

“In politics, what begins in fear usually ends in folly.”

Seems Master Morgan of the AOPA has managed to provoke a response from not only the inutile DOIT but also from the leader of the CASA Fool-Aide club. Oh dear, oh dear: Oh deary me. 

Well done Ben and AOPA – they took the time to not only read out, on face-book, those responses; then rather than curling up into a ball – Morgan took to the task of responding with not only gusto; but hard facts, logic and the opinion of most of the aviation world. It ain't just the locals who despair – there is some genuinely large  international eye brows raised.

That will now be compounded; they should never, ever taken the bait and have responded to Morgan – talk about taking a knife to a gunfight – Holy smoke; there is real folly in responding, because now the gloves are off and it is a street fight, in the open, in public. It will take very little more bluff, bull-shit and bluster from Spence and crew to take the lid off the can of worms CASA have been trying to keep a lid on for years and years. The Genie of fact, supported by evidence, errors and mismanagement and possibly even malfeasance can very easily escape the bottle.

There are always two options in any bar room brawl; don't bite: say nothing and walk away or, take you jacket off – given the time of course. (Never happened in any brawl I engaged in by the way).

Watch and listen as Morgan fights his corner _ _ HERE _ _ on Facebook (no log in) just toggle the video – and stock up on the popcorn.

“Experience keeps a dear school, but fools will learn in no other, and scarce in that.”

Toot – toot – (unlike Sydney ferries; the houseboat is always ready to roll).

Via FB:

Quote:RESPONDING TO CASA DAS PIP SPENCE,
CASA IS FAILING GA ON MEDICAL REFORM

AOPA Australia CEO, Benjamin Morgan, responds to a letter from CASA DAS Pip Spence.
Link to the previous video:
https://fb.watch/h01WZhhX28/?mibextid=qC1gEa

Comments in reply:

Ian Tucker
  · 22:42

Thanks Ben for your continued advocacy.

The TWG is obviously stacked with people who have vested interest in maintaining the status quo so will delay the process as long as possible then come up with some cock & bull reason why medical reform cannot be implemented in Australia despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Geoff Breust
  · 0:02

Ben…thanks for your continued efforts. While I don’t believe the Federal Labor Government will do anything in this space because of their alignment with the public servants and won’t want to see any job losses (although those who would be affected could transfer to regulate the medical requirements for drones…drones, not their operators) I can’t wait until the Federal Integrity / Corruption body is put in place and we put a reference in to it…to me this is very plainly corruption in it’s almost purest form….

Mark Newton
  · 17:54

Spence's assertion that CASA has always sought to maintain a good relationship with AOPA really highlights the ground-up failure of the "Regulatory Philosophy" they hyped a few years ago.
https://www.casa.gov.au/about-us/who-we-...d3amxdhE6c

Principle 1: "CASA is committed to maintaining the trust and respect of the aviation community" only works if they had trust and respect in the first place, but they've spent decades undermining it and haven't bothered to put in the hard work necessary to rebuild it.

Starting from such a low baseline, simply aiming to "maintain" trust and respect isn't good enough.

The aviation community has been crystal clear about what behaviors they expect to see in relation to trust and respect.

Writing thin-skinned letters to whine about the criticism they earn by being belligerently wrong is not one of those behaviors.

Don't be mad, CASA. Be better.

Julia Su
  · 34:22

Thank you for your continued advocacy on behalf of many of us who've been sidelined out of aviation due to the unreasonable burden CASA Avmed has placed on us, both mentally and financially. Case in point, the following is what an individual in my small aviation circle is subjected to at each medical renewal: By doing the right thing and declaring a tiny neurological anomaly which was picked up by accident years before acquiring their PPL, Avmed now insists on a specialist neurologist examination and report be conducted at huge expense to the individual - easily in excess of $1k (not to mention significant lost income due to time off work for the privilege of attending unnecessary medical appointments). The specialist shakes their head at every appointment in disbelief with what CASA is asking, given that half the population have the same condition but it just goes undetected as there are no symptoms and it's of no risk to an individual's wellbeing (or an individual's capacity to safely pilot an aircraft). Despite this, and the report stating same each time, CASA require this person to go through the motions and expense at each renewal ?$$$$?. This is why aviation is dying (is dead) in 'Straya . It makes one wonder whether the economics of flying to the US to obtain a FAA license + medical renewal and registering local aircraft on the US register could be a viable option to circumvent the CASA's nonsense. Hmmm.. .. ?

Clinton McKenzie
  · 0:00

Julia Su Unfortunately, that’s a very typical example of Avmed‘s harmful overreactions to the objective risks. Not only a waste of the person’s time and money (and sometimes Avmed‘s medical test requirements put the individual at substantial risk), it’s also a waste of valuable medical resources. I’ve lost count of the number of people who‘ve told me that when they go for some test that Avmed has imposed on them, the specialist shakes his or head in disbelief.

David Jarman
  · 8:26

CASA partaking in cancel culture? No who would have believed it?

Alan Middleton
  · 8:14

Excellent Ben, and I’m sure the board will support you as vast majority of members do in this matter. It appears the new leader of CASA does not like dissenting views and will not work with anyone. Who she regards as having a view that is different to hers and her cancer officers. 

Melinda Bennett
  · 0:26

You need to watch Graham Hood ex pilot interviewed two ex pilots they also talk about CASA and Pipa.

Plus:

Quote:DEPARTMENT OF INFRASTRUCTURE SEEKS TAKEDOWN OF CRITICAL VIDEOS

AOPA Australia responds to a letter received from the Department of Infrastructure calling for a video that is critical of the departments key staff and decision making to be taken down.

Link to video in question:
https://fb.watch/g-PpsaFGEs/?mibextid=qC1gEa

Comments in reply:

David Young
· 11:21

Don’t hold your breath Benjamin Morgan!

David Ian Grant
· 13:32

Is Ms Burke related in any way to the Russian president? or president Xi? maybe Kim Jong Un? Careful Ben they will have you disappeared to a Gulag somewhere. Oh and you missed out the clause that prime objective of airports privatisation was to make billions of dollars for big private banks and development sharks.

Gary Gould
· 0:03

Looks like the Department of Infrastructure can add "bullying" to their repertoire of "skills" ----- "I'm from the Government. I'm here to help".

Gary Gould
· 13:34

and then there is the (mis) managed Sunshine Coast Airport!! The elimination of the long into-wind runway. Brilliant!

Andrew Whiteman
· 14:39

Why did Hoxton Park get bulldozed for a housing estate and Bunnings? What was different to its lease as opposed to Camden or BK.

David Ian Grant

Andrew Whiteman Hoxton was bulldozed to refund Mcbank's outlay for all three airports. Basically they bought three, bulldozed one, so they got two airports for Zilch. In 1982 Bankstown airport alone was valued by the NSW government, Bankstown airport is NSW government land that is owned by the Commonwealth, it was valued at over a billion dollars, yet Mcbank only paid 250 million for all three. Two senior bureaucrats engineered that sale, which in my opinion is highly suspect because I dont believe anyone could be that inept. There is also the fact that no NSW stamp duty was paid on the Leases. All passing strange.

Alan Middleton
· 13:01

Well done Ben. How dare they!

Dan Compton
· 12:41

Your points are clear, but their response is not clear. What do they think you got wrong?

Byron Air Adventures ·
· 15:29

Unfortunately I see a lot of airports under the same pressure……!

Shannon Baker
· 1:52

They say.. you receive the most flak when you are overhead the target.

Andy Longmire
· 13:10

It appears they are in contravention of the Aviation Act that they either don’t know or are unaware of the statutory rights regarding this Act, because all this non-aviation activities is against everything this Act states.

Frank Andrewartha
· 3:02

They are clueless. After multiple emails to the department with the support of the local Liberal member, the replies were such that even the local member was embarrassed by the response. Completely unrelated to the question and submission

Wendy Jayne
· 8:20

Government departments are full of a bunch of Karen’s that want to shut you down and threaten you if you disagree with them. This is not the only government department that is acting like this. Bullies that are carried away with their self importance and not real public interest.

MTF...P2  Tongue

Peace and Harmony – through parity.

What a good idea; well done the AOPA board and Ben Morgan. Their proposal will only make good sense to 'men of good will' – those who truly belong to and care about the international fraternity they belong to; all aviators: from big jets down to the puddle jumpers.

The big question hanging is will the RA Oz crew relinquish their commercial advantage; parity on self declared, no strings medicals and support the AOPA notion? It is a big ask; however, with mutual support and parity, perhaps RA could get equal parity in say take off weight and an ease of some of the restrictions which apply to their operations – never know, not until you ask; do you.

It is a national disgrace that ATSB have declined to investigate the Qld mid air; that makes two in recent history; one each (VH + Barcode). Given the drastic reduction in operating hours the 'statistics boffins' at ATSB should realise by now that these incidents represent a dynamic shift – ASA needs to get sorted out; and - CASA must get a shift on with VFR transgressing into IMC. On a ratio basis the number of 'fatal' events V the decrease in operational hours is significant.

I reckon vertiports and the latest outpourings of 'like me' twaddle from the CASA can take a back seat for a while. There are significant problems emerging in the very fabric of aviation safety, clearly evident. Time Spence got her skates on and started dealing with the very real, CASA generated increased costs without benefit they have imposed on a suffering industry. Or, (to put that another way) in the common vernacular – piss or get off the pot.

While I'm on the keyboard; I will express my disgust at the cowardly manner in which Spence wrote to the AOPA board – gutless. Expecting the board to fall about the place and show Master Morgan the door, rather than she confronting him directly is pitiful. That letter is, IMO a classic example of the cowardly bully who manipulates the brawl but never gets involved. Shame on Spence – resignation may not be honourable, all things considered; but, it could, at very least, restore some semblance of dignity and maybe even a modicum of respect to an agency which has traversed the void between  the sublime to the ridiculous – at great expense to the nation. Ex-Spence there's a good thought.

Toot – toot.

BM on ATSB Gympie rejection; reply to precious Pip; & ASIC follow up. -  Rolleyes  

Via FB:

Quote:

Comments:

Eugene Meany
  · 9:42

There is already an Australian Government Security Vetting Agency (AGSVA) which centralised security clearances under Defence. It would not cost anywhere near $30 Million to extend their remit to cover Aviation background checks and passes.

Dan Compton
  · 17:26

Never heard of the possible changes. They never asked if we wanted a security card in the first place and they still don’t communicate with the industry.

Andrew Stewart Brumby
  · 4:56

I did a federal security check a week ago took 10 mins and 90bux why is asic so hard

Gary Gould

Ben, The ASIC card is vital to the security of aviation. So vital in fact, that I flew for an airline, around the world, with an ASIC card that was NINE months out of date when I spotted the error!! In that time, I went through dozens of airport security screens. Not one single security person noticed! (That included a FAA ramp check!) I was horrified when, one day, I noticed it was well and truly non-valid. I had slipped through "the system". It's a joke! The Aviation Security Act is a poorly thought out set of laws. A knee-jerk created by jerks.

Dan Compton
  · 16:20

It needs to go. It achieves nothing. Why do we have to renew it so often while we have a passport for 10 years. Why can’t we use our Licence? A real terrorist wants to cause a problem (as it was bought on through terrorism fear) they will do it without an asic. It’s a JOKE.

Bill Leighton
  · 18:12

The ASIC card is totally irrelevant and ineffective. There is no provable threat from light aircraft pilots moving about an airfield. There is however a need for security clearances for baggage handlers and wharfies but that will also be a porous system.

Peter Phillips
  · 14:19

It’s Australia remember, with a grubby corrupt Govt solely in place to keep the old mantra alive……jobs for the boys with rorts!
This ASIC card is the result of yet another government department making work for themselves.

Comment:

Walter Riley
  · 3:05

I’ve said it many times, it’s Australia, a corrupt nation at every Govt level with an overriding mantra of jobs for the boys!

Should be an interesting Facebook live this evening at 7pm... Wink

MTF...P2  Tongue