Accidents - Domestic

That is a good, professional post from Step Turn. Reassuring that someone with much more expertise and knowledge of flying boats and float planes than I has raised questions over ‘the box’.  It seemed ‘tight’ to me, not enough wriggle room for anything but something ‘light’ or the Caravan which happily operates in that sort of ‘room’.  There are, it seems to me at least, other factors which combined with ‘the box’ may have a connection; lack of practice in the aircraft ‘on site’ or a facsimile; it is not as simple as it seems to keep an aircraft precisely within a confined area. then there must be a subconscious element which seeks to avoid getting it wrong and loosing the hard won approval – even perhaps getting into some kind of trouble for the error. But I am speculating, and no one except the pilot will ever know the rational.

Thanks Step Turn – appreciated comments. Choc frog – on the wires.

PS. I forgot to mention the most impressive thing - using the video as a training tool - now; before the accident report is eventually published. Bravo, first class idea. I, for one would really like to hear the supporting 'briefing'. Two CF on the wire; enjoy.

Two questions:
1. Do we know, or have a map/chart of "the box" and the "display line".
2. Do we know, or have, the precise wind speed / direction at the "precise time" of the incident.

Having watched all the videos that I can find on the net, and taking "steep turn's" comments on board, I am inclined to think that he was suckered into attempting to "tighten" the turn, "primarily" to prevent breaching "the far end of the box".
Possible reasons could be:
(a) a slightly late initiation of the turn from the downwind leg, and / or combined with:
(b) a stronger tail wind component than he thought he had, resulting in a greater effective turn radius than planned.

BUT, I have a "secondary worry".
Either or both effects, would produce an optical illusion (heightened at low level and low speed) of "apparent skidding" when in fact he was not (aerodynamically) actually skidding, thus initially subconsciously calling for "more bank" to both "stop skidding" and "stay within the downwind boundary of the box".

I fear that the "stop the skidding optical illusion" effect may have been the "silent killer" here.

As a glider pilot, (we fly SLOW - where "apparent wind effects" are magnified) since our speeds in circuit (downwind - base - final) are slow), "significant" wind "transients" at low level, keep us very much on our toes, because even a not very strong wind is such a significant percentage of our air speed, and especially so from the beginning of the turn from downwind onto base.
Apparent "downwind wind drift" on base, often makes a complete mess / meal of the "planned / intended" base ground track, with the result that there is a need to "crab in" quite often (in even moderate, let alone strong and / or gusty wind conditions).

The point of this ramble is this:.
Power pilots, as a rule, are flying higher and faster and on much wider circuits than we do.
When a power pilot suddenly is flying lower, slower, and with a "tighter base leg, tightened to virtually no "leg" but a continuous 180 degree turn", than he "normally would" fly, his "mental map" of what he is doing is "different" to begin with, then, throw in a surprise factor, like the optical effect above, and ............ tragedy.

Thoughts ?

“V” I spotted a very good graphic on the UP when I was Shanghied into UP watch (not happy Jan); can’t be bothered trawling back through the thread – honest – not even for you; but it was about the middle pages, perhaps you have the patience – can’t miss it – great big colour picture, take you five minutes – max. Then you can ‘borrow it’ – (evil grin).

Aircraft and horses are a bit of a family tradition; my Grand Papa was taught by his Grand Papa and so on; one law was always stated with a smile. That being ‘if there was one horse alive on the planet and two horsemen, there would always be a dust up – sooner or later – about how the beast should be managed, ridden and cared for’.

The other was an ‘unbreakable’: a mantra which applied equally to both modes of transport – “keep one leg on each side, your balls in the middle and your heels down at all times – lest ye come unstuck”. With aircraft, the notion of the ball always in the middle (unless you’re playing about) is fairly critical. The more critical the situation the more important it is to do the little things well.  

Illusions and such like are not inherently dangerous to the Ag blokes, Aerobat chaps, glider pilots etc.  Much like the occasional moment of ‘the leans’ which IF pilots are familiar with; there are many other examples of ‘abnormal but routine’ experience which are just part of earning a living to those familiar, but for the unwary or for those who have not experienced them, then the first untrained encounter can be hazardous. It is the same in any activity which has an element of risk; reading all about Bullfighting and studying it on ‘You tube’ and practicing on the family dog ain’t quite the same as being in the ring with a ton of angry animal – high risk, even for the professionals.

Hard to tell exactly what happened in Perth; but I tend to lean toward your take, GD, Step Turn (clever handle that) and “K”, in that there seems to be several possible contributing elements which led to this dreadful accident.  If only one of them had been missing, perhaps things may have turned out better than they did.  A very sad day for all concerned.

Here you go - I hope.  Pain in the proverbial - but twas a parental request not to be refused - (he keeps score - and I owe). Looks like 'Step Tern' has some pages stuck together - CF's cancelled by order of A. C. Kermode (Legend). Now, where's my ale got to?

[Image: MAC_I_SkyworksMap17.jpg]

[url=http://auntypru.com/forum/editpost.php?pid=6321][/url]
[Image: 5c569728dc9ed268d6895d339677487f?width=650]

[Image: 22a2aebf85b774910fe1d68d2e6a5b84?width=650]

Thanks guys. Just finished work - on the phone at the pub - will have a good look at it again in the morning on the big computer screen.

Off to the Coroner - Confused

Reference AP Avmed boards:

(03-26-2016, 07:09 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(03-25-2016, 08:46 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  
Quote:Suicidal pilot was cleared for duty by Qantas one month before he crashed plane into ocean off northern NSW

March 25, 2016 1:00am

Exclusive Jack Houghton The Courier-Mail

[Image: 01220c2c268cbef9aa188275700e69d9?width=650]Paul Whyte.

QANTAS cleared international pilot Paul Whyte to fly one month before police believe he deliberately crashed his light aircraft into the ocean off northern NSW.

The Lennox Head man passed a mental health check in February even though he had been struggling to deal with a marriage breakdown for nearly a year.

Qantas confirmed the father-of-two had flown Boeing 747 aircraft with a capacity of 467 passengers on the Brisbane to Los Angeles route as a first officer in the weeks before his death on Monday.

[Image: f0ccecf684b44b8ac210a491f4f45021?width=650]Qantas pilot Paul Whyte was struggling to deal with his marriage breakup when he hired a light aircraft in Lismore and crashed it into the sea near Byron Bay after sending a farewell message to his daughters. Source: Facebook

The Australian and International Pilots Association has repeatedly declined to comment saying ‘we are not obligated’ to speak about the incident, despite Mr Whyte officially representing the union at Civil Aviation Safety Authority meetings in recent years.

Revelations Mr Whyte was cleared for duty have raised questions from mental health experts about the quality and frequency of checks.

Griffith University psychiatrist Harry McConnell said mental health checks could not pick up sudden changes in stability and called for pilots to more readily report warning signs of their peers to managers.

“Even if he had a mental health screening, it would only have been valid at the time,” he said.

“Even if he wasn’t suicidal a month ago, obviously there was something that happened in the interim that has changed his way of thinking and his mental state.

“These peer programs like they have in North America are good for that and lets mates to look out for mates.

[Image: 73c254512d15f40d192d7013d31f74e3?width=650]Paul Whyte.

“It would allow airlines to keep track of mental health on a more immediate level.”

A Qantas spokesman said all pilots had annual health checks which involved “a number of physical and psychological tests”.

The tests rely heavily on pilots themselves reporting any “significant” change in their health to obtain a medical certificate.

“Pilots who have a history of psychosis, alcoholism, drug dependence, personality disorder, mental abnormality or neurosis are disqualified from holding a Class 1 medical certificate — therefore cannot be a commercial airline pilot,” he said.

“As per CASA regulations, all Qantas pilots undergo annual medical evaluations in order to maintain their flying licence.

[Image: 095ede943e5e50096341a9fd581b05c8?width=650]A Qantas spokesman said all pilots had annual health checks which involved “a number of physical and psychological tests”.

“This includes a number of physical and psychological tests conducted by a designated aviation medical doctor in a process overseen by CASA.

“Paul passed his annual medical check in February this year. He also passed his proficiency check in November 2015, which includes simulator testing.”

The spokesman added: “There are a number of failsafes from a safety of flight perspective, including the ‘two in the cockpit’ rule that was introduced last year.
“On most international flights there are generally four pilots on board each flight.”

Qantas Chief Pilot Captain Richard Tobiano told the Gold Coast Bulletin the tragedy was “very upsetting” for Mr Whyte’s “family, friends and colleagues”.

“It is with great sadness that I confirm that an off-duty Qantas pilot was flying a light aircraft which went missing off the northern coast of New South Wales on Monday evening,” he said.

“As you can imagine this is a very upsetting time for his family, friends and colleagues, and we’re providing them with as much support as we can.
“I ask you to respect their privacy at this time.

On Monday the father of two rented a Cessna 172 from the Northern Rivers Aero Club in Lismore, sent a final text message to his family and crashed the plane six nautical miles offshore from Byron Bay. Qantas has confirmed he was in cleared for active duty on the day he died.

Update today in the Weekend Oz:

Quote:Suspected suicide of a ­Qantas pilot: Screening ‘relies on honesty’
  • Simon King
  • The Australian
  • March 26, 2016 12:00AM

Senior reporter
Sydney

The circumstances ­surrounding first officer Paul Whyte’s actions on Monday are unknown.

The suspected suicide of a ­Qantas pilot who flew a private plane into the ocean at 200km/h has sparked debate about airline screening processes, with a leading depression expert saying the system is not foolproof.

While the circumstances ­surrounding first officer Paul Whyte’s actions on Monday are unknown, air traffic control monitored the single-engine aircraft he had hired for the day from the Northern Rivers Aero Club in Lismore before it crashed into the ocean about 11km northeast of Byron Bay. Police have been unable to recover the ­Lismore man’s body or the wreckage, but said there were no suspicious ­circumstances.

The incident comes a year after 27-year-old Germanwings co-pilot And­reas Lubitz locked his captain out of the cockpit of an Airbus A320 during a flight from Barcelona to Dusseldorf and flew into the French Alps, killing all 150 ­people. In a report released this month, investigators said the remains of Lubitz — who had a history of psychological issues — contained traces of antidepressants.

Pilot suicide is also a theory in the disappearance of Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 two years ago.

The head of the psychiatry school at the University of NSW, Philip Mitchell, a professorial fellow at the Black Dog Institute, said there was a difference ­between pilots who took down their plane and those who took hundreds with them.

“In general, when people are depressed … they only take their own life. When there’s the taking of a whole plane with passengers ­involved, it just doesn’t fit the usual pattern,” Professor Mitchell said.

In Australia, pilots of passenger planes must hold a Civil Aviation Safety Authority medical certificate that has to be renewed annually and includes psychological testing.
CASA requires pilots to dec­lare any significant changes in their mental health. Anyone with a history of psychosis, alcoholism, drug dependence, personality disorder or mental abnormality is forbidden to fly.

Professor Mitchell, who has done a number of pilot reviews for CASA, said its current honesty system, “clearly implies there needs to be a frankness on behalf of the pilot”.

“My experience is most pilots are pretty frank about those things,” he said.

“The issue is how often people are reviewed and the adequacy of that — you can never have a completely foolproof system.”

I note today that although the ATSB declined to investigate this apparent tragic suicide, that the NSW Police requested assistance with their own investigation... Rolleyes

Via the ATSB Aviation investigation webpage:
Quote:AE-2016-058
Technical assistance to the NSW Coroner relating to accident involving Cessna C172L, VH-XZZ, on 21 March 2016
21 Mar 2016
Final
14 Feb 2017

Quote:On 21 March 2016, a Cessna 172L, registered VH-XZZ, disappeared from radar about 7 NM (13 km) north-east of Byron Bay, New South Wales (NSW). The pilot was the sole occupant and, despite initial search efforts, the aircraft was reported as missing.

The accident is being investigated by the NSW Police Force on behalf of the NSW Coroner. The ATSB did not initiate a separate accident investigation; however, on 14 June 2016, the police advised the ATSB that the wreckage had been located and video recorded by the Royal Australian Navy. In addition, the police requested ATSB assistance with their examination the video footage of the wreckage.

To facilitate this support, on 15 June 2016 the ATSB initiated an external investigation under the provisions of the Transport Safety Investigation Act 2003. The ATSB completed its review of the video footage and provided a report to the NSW Police Force on 30 August 2016.

Any enquiries as to the planning for, or conduct or progress of the Coroner’s investigation into this accident should be directed to the:

State Coroner’s Court of New South Wales
44–46 Parramatta Road
Glebe  NSW  2037
Phone: (02) 8584 7777

MTF...P2 Angel

Poor bugger. I hope he now finds the peace he was seeking. R.I.P Paul.

I just hope that the MSM don't slander him and align his suicide with that fruitcake Andreas Lubitz. Many people commit suicide and they come from varying backgrounds, nationalities, socio economic situations and so forth. That doesn't exclude professional Pilots, legal professionals, high ranking Police and emergency services people, billionaires or rock stars.

Was Mr Whyte a risk to his passengers at any stage? I doubt it. He had personal problems like all of us do, yet we all go about our daily activities, perhaps depressed, but we don't take out a couple of hundred people in the course of duty. And neither did Paul. If the media think for a single moment that there are not people with depression driving their trains, flying their planes, repairing electrical circuits on their homes or driving a B Double on the open highway in the opposite direction towards them then they are living in cloud cuckoo land.

Paul's depression and subsequent suicide, albeit a sad event and my heart goes out to his family friends, does not mean he posed a danger or risk to the public. The guy rented a light aircraft, took to the skies doing what was the love of his life, flew offshore to a safe area and pulled the pin on his life. No different to driving a car into a tree on an isolated road at high speed, or torching an empty house that only you are occupying. Tragic? Absolutely. Does it mean you were a complete nutjob and may have been a liability to your employer? Hardly.

You won't see most suicides coming. The person keeps their pain to themselves or only exposes it to very few people. It is a scourge that is rampant and affecting families in plague proportions. Regardless of a persons views on whether suicide is simply a selfish act or is the last choice of a desperately sad person, I hope Paul's name isn't besmirched as a result of this thoroughly sad event.

LIFELINE:

I need help now!
CALL US: 13 11 14 CRISIS SUPPORT CHAT HELP RESOURCES
If life is in danger CALL 000

In gods speed.
Gobbles

WTD -

Make of the accident what you will; but three paragraphs from the article – HERE – tell you what’s to come.  I’ll try and find the ATSB report if P2 hasn’t got it tucked away; the media report is a bit glib and the detail ‘fluffy’. No matter - FWIW

AN OPENING canopy was the cause of a light plane crash that killed a Hampton East pilot, the Coroner’s Court heard this morning.

Investigators could not conclude whether or not the opening canopy startled Mr Stephenson, a veteran pilot, into losing control of the aircraft or its opening directly led to the plane descending rapidly.

“There is a huge public health and safety issue around Moorabbin Airport we need to explore that further,” she (Cohen counsel assisting) said.

I doubt 'counsel assisting' would know an aviation related 'huge public health' etc. if it jumped up and bit her on the arse.

Toot toot.

(02-17-2017, 05:07 AM)kharon Wrote:  WTD -

Make of the accident what you will; but three paragraphs from the article – HERE – tell you what’s to come.  I’ll try and find the ATSB report if P2 hasn’t got it tucked away; the media report is a bit glib and the detail ‘fluffy’. No matter - FWIW

AN OPENING canopy was the cause of a light plane crash that killed a Hampton East pilot, the Coroner’s Court heard this morning.

Investigators could not conclude whether or not the opening canopy startled Mr Stephenson, a veteran pilot, into losing control of the aircraft or its opening directly led to the plane descending rapidly.

“There is a huge public health and safety issue around Moorabbin Airport we need to explore that further,” she (Cohen counsel assisting) said.

I doubt 'counsel assisting' would know an aviation related 'huge public health' etc. if it jumped up and bit her on the arse.

Toot toot.

I am glad I wasn't the only one that picked up on that bizarre comment from the counsel assisting the Coroner... Huh

Anyway I believe this is the ATSB report etc. you are after "K"... Wink :

Quote:Is your canopy secured?
Detecting an unsecured canopy prior to take-off could prevent in-flight control issues resulting in injury or aircraft damage.

What happened
On 14 October 2014, a Van’s Aircraft Inc. (Van’s) RV-6A departed Moorabbin Airport, Victoria on a local flight. Shortly after reaching 2,900 ft, the aircraft descended rapidly and a witness reported observing objects falling from the aircraft. The aircraft collided with the ground next to a house 8 km south of Moorabbin. The pilot was fatally injured and the aircraft was destroyed. Members of the public found a number of items away from the accident site that belonged to the pilot.

Tip-up canopy open
[Image: rid22-picture-2.jpg?width=500&height=375]\
(Source: Supplied)
Why did it happen

The liberation of the items from the aircraft’s interior indicated that the tip-up (forward-hinged) canopy likely opened in‑flight. While the ATSB was unable to determine how the canopy opened and the effect on aircraft control, there were indications the pilot was attempting to respond to the situation. However, for reasons undetermined, recovery did not occur before the impact with the ground. The ATSB found that, in a number of Van’s models, the in-flight opening of a tip-up canopy may potentially result in a significant pitch down tendency that may affect aircraft control.

Safety advisory notice
AO-2014-164-SAN-012: The consequences when an aircraft canopy opens in-flight, including on other than Van’s aircraft types, can vary from being relatively benign to significant, such as a sudden pitch down. In any event, in the first instance, pilots should expect an element of startle and distraction. The detection of an unsecured canopy prior to take-off could prevent in-flight control issues resulting in injury or aircraft damage. The ATSB advises pilots to be vigilant and to confirm the security of their aircraft’s canopy prior to take-off.

Check the security of your canopy

The in-flight opening of canopies in a number of Van’s aircraft models highlights the varying consequences in the case of such occurrences. The result can vary from being relatively benign to significant. While this investigation focused on Van’s aircraft, the implications are applicable to all aircraft fitted with a canopy, in particular, a tip-up canopy. Such occurrences serve as a reminder for pilots to check the security of their aircraft’s canopy prior to take‑off. Additional measures, such as the incorporation of a specific pre-flight checklist item, and/or the installation of a canopy-open warning device, have the potential to assist pilots detect an unintentionally-open canopy.

The ATSB encourages pilots who experience a canopy opening in-flight to notify the aircraft manufacturer and, in the case of difficulty controlling their aircraft, the ATSB in accordance with the reporting requirements of the Transport Safety Investigation Act 2003. This will allow for a greater understanding of the safety implications of these types of occurrences.

Read more about this ATSB investigation: AO-2014-164

Type:
Safety Advisory Notice
Publication date:
25 November 2016
Publication number:
AO-2014-164-SAN-012

[Image: share.png][Image: feedback.png]

MTF...P2 Angel

Essendon B200 fatal crash - RIP Angel

Via news.com.au:

Quote:Plane crashes, sparks DFO explosion near Melbourne airport

FEBRUARY 21, 2017 3:34PM
Plane crashes at Melbourne's DFO
[Image: external?url=http%3A%2F%2Fvideomam.news....z9c5xuj3mc]

[img=0x0]http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/content/v2/origin:video_integrator.t2cjN3OTE6alnftzK6yJDOp9lzK60u2a?t_product=video&t_template=../video/player[/img]

PILOT Max Quartermain is reportedly one of the five people killed in the worst aviation accident in 30 years in Victoria today.

Mr Quartermain owns Essendon-based Corporate and Leisure Aviation and has more than 38 years of experience.

ABC News this afternoon reported it had confirmed Mr Quartermain was the pilot killed when a five-person Beechcraft charter plane experienced engine failure, dipped dramatically and cartwheeled into a factory outlet in Victorian suburb of Essendon shortly after taking off at 9am this morning.

Before crashing into the DFO building adjacent to Essendon Airport, Mr Quartermain is believed to have made two mayday calls.

Investigators who arrived at the scene on Tuesday will examine closely the site and wreckage, gathering recorded data including radio and radar, and interviewing witnesses.

The pilot’s distress call is expected to form a significant part of the investigation, police assistant commissioner Stephen Leane said.

Authorities are yet to confirm details of fatalities including the identity and nationality of who was on the plane.

Thehe Herald Sun also cited aviation sources paying tribute to Mr Quartermain, who they believe was piloting the plane when it went down.

[Image: aa38dda251d4b6a856198d06afcc92b6]
Pilot Max Quartermain is believed to have been flying the five-seater when it went down.[i]Source:Supplied[/i]

The charter plane was believed to be heading to Tasmania’s King Island. Confirming multiple deaths, Victorian Premier Daniel Andrews said the crash was “the worst civil aviation incident in the state in 30 years”.

“Today is a desperately sad day,” he said.

Police assistant commissioner Stephen Leane confirmed only those who were on the flight — four passengers and the pilot — were harmed.

“There were five people on the aeroplane. It looks like nobody survived the crash,” he said.

It has been reported the four passengers were American tourists, headed to the Tasmanian island on a golf trip. The man flying the plane was reportedly an experienced pilot in his 60s.

A spokesperson for the US embassy told news.com.au it was unable to confirm the nationality or identity of any of the plane crash victims.

“We extend our deepest condolences to the families and loved ones of all those who died in today’s tragic crash,” the spokesperson said.

“The US embassy in Melbourne and Canberra is working closely with local authorities to assist in any way possible.”

Mr Leane said authorities were in the process of contacting families the victims, and would release further details about those on the plane “as soon as we can”.

As authorities confirm the death, a chilling frame has been published showing the aircraft in its final moments.

[Image: c0ff744c7e5617754ec7937c803c00d3]
The plane moments before it nosedived into the shopping complex in Essendon. Picture: Channel 10[i]Source:Channel 10[/i]

The image of the plane crash, part of a video to be broadcast by Network Ten, shows the plane flying low over the shopping centre moments before it nosedived into the building, landing in the complex’s carpark.

Victorian Police Minister Lisa Neville described the crash as a “very tragic accident” and assured a full suite of emergency services were in force after the incident.

Ambulance Victoria has confirmed it was not its aircraft, despite earlier reports.

Victoria Police worked to evacuate the area surrounding the crash site and have advised people to avoid the location.

During his press conference, the Premier singled out Ambulance Victoria paramedics who responded to the crash.

“Ambulance Victoria always serve us well but this has special resonance because, for a period of time, there were reports that the plane was an Ambulance Victoria plane. Of course, that is not the case. This was a private charter. Nothing to do with the Victorian government or Ambulance Victoria,” he said.

He also thanked police and 90 firefighters who had done and “equally outstanding job” in what was “a very intense, nasty fire”.

King Island sits off the northwestern tip of the state’s main island, and has become an attractive destination for golfers, housing the two best public golf courses in the nation, Cape Wickham and Ocean Dunes.

It has been reported the group was due to arrive at one of the island’s courses on Tuesday morning.
A spokeswoman for Cape Wickham Golf Course said all its golfers “have actually turned up for the day”, while an Ocean Dunes staff member said there was “no comment to be made”.

The Beechcraft Super King aircraft was just seconds into its flight when it came in low and fast and hit the complex’s homemaker centre at the rear of the shopping centre. It is understood one of the plane’s twin engines failed after takeoff with police saying the cause of the crash was likely “catastrophic engine failure”.

[Image: b09378b4c71db92d88d15d7b4643a990]
Essendon plane crashes into DFO. Picture: Jordan Fouracre/Facebook[i]Source:Facebook[/i]

[Image: 836d876e070277a705b95d549768007e]
Essendon plane crashes into DFO. Picture: Jordan Fouracre/Facebook[i]Source:Facebook[/i]

‘I SAW THIS HUGE EXPLOSION’

Witnesses reported a loud and fiery explosion as the aircraft crashed into the shopping centre, and plumes of thick smoke can still be seen coming from the scene.

One cafe operator who was inside the DFO complex told news.com.au the crash occurred at the rear of the complex’s Spotlight store.

Emergency services have closed the shopping centre and are not allowing anyone to enter.

A second business owner said she saw the crash from the freeway on her way to work.

“I actually saw the explosion. I was coming off the freeway and I saw this huge explosion,” she said.

“There were flames coming out of the roof and all this black smoke.”

The business owner said the aircraft did not make it far.

She said the crash occurred right near the neighbouring Essendon Airport runway.

“They are not letting anyone in at the moment,” she said.

“I haven’t heard anything, so I’m just wondering whether to start up or not.”

Only skeleton staff were present at the time of the crash as stores were not due to open until 10am.
All spotlight staff had been accounted for.

DFO has released a statement advising that the complex would stay closed after the incident.

“DFO Essendon is currently closed, after an incident in which a light plane crashed into the rear of the Homemaker Centre this morning. The centre was not open at the time,” it said.

View image on Twitter
[Image: C5JTa0oVYAAaAbU.jpg:small]

Witnesses have described the horrific scene from the freeway and surrounding roads.

“There is constant explosions going off, there is black smoke billowing into the sky,” one caller told 3AW on Tuesday.

Another witness, Paul, said the scene was “like the vision you see of an atomic bomb”.
“Just a ball of flame going up in the air,” he said. “It was just surreal to see it happening right next to you.”

[Image: 68baf82dab0240784a1a3b6537367f6b]
All Spotlight staff have been accounted for.[i]Source:News Corp Australia[/i]

Eyewitness videos show impact of Melbourne plane crash
[Image: external?url=http%3A%2F%2Fcontent6.video...z9c5xuj3mc]

[img=0x0]http://pixel.tcog.cp1.news.com.au/track/news/content/v2/origin:video_integrator.VpbDR3OTE6s54VPwNnd12zD2olUmlE7V?t_product=newscomau&t_template=../video/player[/img]

ABC radio caller Jason was in a taxi when he looked out the window and saw what he thought was a twin-propeller plane, AAP reports.

“I saw this plane coming in really low and fast. It went just behind the barriers so I couldn’t see the impact but when it hit the building there was a massive fireball,” he told ABC 774.

“I could feel the heat through the window of the taxi, and then a wheel — it looked like a plane wheel — bounced on the road and hit the front of the taxi as we were driving along.

“We kept driving and there was big fireball behind us.”

[Image: 4933dd05213b19881a8c586ca1b69468]
Dozens of emergency officers are at the scene. Picture: Ian Currie[i]Source:News Corp Australia[/i]

[Image: 8f22ca0a7432243bad66480ec15905f4]
A light aircraft has crashed into DFO in Essendon. Fire Crews douse what looks like the fuselage. Picture: Jason Edwards[i]Source:News Corp Australia[/i]

Describing the incident as a “catastrophic event”, Victoria’s emergency management commissioner Craig Lapsley said it was unknown how long it would stay closed.

“We are trying to work through now to understand exactly what that means for the number of aircraft that fly in and out of Essendon,” he said.

Tullamarine Freeway would also remain closed for a number of hours, Mr Lapsley said.
While no other people aside from those killed on the plane were seriously injured, Mr Lapsley said Ambulance Victoria had dealt with a number of people with concerns about shock and trauma.

INVESTIGATION TO BE LAUNCHED

The Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) has launched an investigation into the collision.
The bureau said in a statement it had deployed a team of four investigators.

“The ATSB … are expected to arrive on site this afternoon,” the statement said.

“The investigators will assume responsibility for the secured site, once it has been made safe.”

The ATSB has asked witnesses to contact the bureau on 1800 020 616.

[Image: e5db989e6d808ae43457e28b04630ab2?width=650]

[Image: b15107992b5fe7ae069de58d2d9ee413?width=650]

Light plane crash into DFO at Essendon Airport. Picture: Ian Currie[i]Source:News Corp Australia[/i]

It is, especially for our very ‘experienced’ Be200 drivers all too raw and far too early to begin with the questions and seeking answers. There are peripheral questions; many: but, as to the facts - ‘we’ weren’t there. Let’s wait a while, get some facts and then take a long hard look. Meanwhile , there will  be a lot of folk, here and overseas in shock and grieving.

The Aunty Pru crew send their condolences to those affected by today's events.  

Gods speed and tailwinds.

Ditto. R.I.P to all.
In sympathy to all.

Gobbledock

A short statement from the Minister Darren Chester.

[Image: DC_note.jpg]

Much appreciated; nicely done Sir.

Update: Essendon B200 tragedy 22/02/17.

Totally agree P1 on the Minister's brief but succinct and appropriate statement, amazing how it almost perfectly mirrors the sentiments in the Ferryman's post above... Wink

Starting to sift through the wheat from chaff with the overloaded and mostly ill informed MSM coverage on this tragic accident... Rolleyes

First from the Oz:
Quote:‘We’re ready to change airport’

[Image: 223ff8077f5fe9f022e622c40f8cd471]9:16amRosie Lewis

Daniel Andrews says governments “ready to make any changes” to Essendon Airport: new dashcam footage shows fireball.

From below, the moments before

[Image: 86c5d9050ccc1be49e03780fe91227cb]12:00amRICK MORTON, CHIP LE GRAND

Four American tourists had scarcely settled into their seats when the light aircraft’s engine failed.

Key seconds before losing control

[Image: 94832a7b0f478a321e985d30aeb76b85]12:00am Byron Bailey

Quote:12:00AM February 22, 2017

The Beechcraft King Air is one of the world’s most popular and safe general aviation aircraft. I flew one between leaving the RAAF and entering airlines. It has ultra-­reliable PT6 turboprop engines.

Jet aircraft are required to be able to suffer an engine failure at any stage, from brakes-release-and-stop on the runway prior to decision speed V1, and after V1 continue keeping straight with rudder and then lift off and safely fly away straight ahead at take-off safety speed V2, keeping wings level via the control wheel and achieve a 2.4 per cent climb gradient. All jet aircraft — airline and corporate — have adequate single-engine thrust and flight performance at maximum take-off weights and high temperatures to safely achieve this.

The propeller-driven turboprop King Air aircraft are certified to a less demanding performance requirement to achieve a 1 per cent climb on one engine to 5000ft after engine failure on take-off.

The critical problem arises in those few seconds between raising the undercarriage and achieving single-engine take-off safety speed of 103 knots. Engine failure before gear retraction means the pilot will close down the remaining engine power and attempt to land back on the runway. Engine failure after achieving take-off safety speed will — after the pilot performs vital drills including feathering the failed engine to reduce drag — enable the aircraft to climb away.

If the engine fails in those few seconds between gear-up and take-off safety speed then the aircraft will not have enough performance to safely fly — through inadequate rudder authority to counteract the yaw towards the failed engine and excessive drag, which means a loss of control and roll over towards the failed engine.

It appears this aircraft did not have a black box, which makes it harder for crash investigators. However, this is a very rare event.

Byron Bailey, a senior captain with Emirates for 15 years, has more than 45 years’ experience and 26,000 flying hours, and is a former RAAF fighter pilot.

Aircraft’s tainted safety record

[Image: 4c4a67e6f07b14c614755c6fdada258d]12:00amANTHONY KLAN

Three of the nation’s worst aviation disasters - as well as yesterday’s - have involved a Beechcraft Super King Air.

Airport fears ‘swept under rug’

[Image: d67994cd9c88217213b85f79749c6b2f]12:00amBEN WILMOT, DAMON KITNEY

Aircraft safety authorities and governments ignored years of warnings from local residents who held safety concerns.

Next from the ABC online:
Quote:Essendon plane crash charter company involved in near miss in 2015
Updated about 5 hours ago Wed 22 Feb 2017, 6:56am

Video: Aerial footage shows plane crash site at a shopping centre near Essendon Airport (Courtesy Channel 9) (ABC News)

Authorities probing the cause of yesterday's fatal air crash at a shopping centre near Melbourne's Essendon Airport have been investigating a near miss involving the same charter company, it has been revealed.

Key points:
  • Pilot investigated after his plane came within 100 metres of another aircraft at Mount Hotham in 2015
  • Four American tourists among five dead after plane crashed into Essendon DFO yesterday
  • Large buildings close to airport runways dangerous, advocate says
Pilot Max Quartermain and four American tourists were killed when their Beechcraft B200 Super King Air experienced engine failure soon after take-off from Essendon Airport on Tuesday.

The plane, which was headed for King Island off Tasmania's north coast, crashed into the DFO shopping centre and exploded into flames.

The ABC understands Mr Quartermain was under investigation by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) after his plane, with a call signal VH-OWN, came within 100 metres of another aircraft in bad weather at Mt Hotham in September 2015.

An investigation summary reported the plane had "tracking difficulties" on approach to Mt Hotham during a charter flight as low cloud had made conditions difficult.

Video: Dashcam video shows the moment the plane crashed into the shopping centre (Courtesy 10 News) (ABC News)

The summary reads: "VH-OWN was then observed to carry out significant manoeuvring while on short final to the runway before landing."

[Image: 8290262-16x9-340x191.jpg]
Photo:
Max Quartermain was ordered to re-do his instrument rating qualifications after a near miss. (Supplied: Corporate and Leisure Aviation)

Although Mr Quartermain was not named in the ATSB report, the ABC understands he was ordered to re-do his instrument rating qualifications after the Hotham incident.

"Following the incident at Mount Hotham, the Civil Aviation Safety Authority required the pilot to undergo some additional proficiency checks. They were done, the pilot passed those checks," a CASA spokesman said.

"And in subsequent checks done prior to yesterday's flight ... the pilot has passed all of those."

Authorities said the cause of the crash near Essendon Airport was still under investigation.

Pilot described by friends as highly respected

Mr Quartermain was the co-owner of Corporate and Leisure Aviation, which operated the plane.
[Image: 8289818-3x2-700x467.jpg] Photo: Five people, including four American tourists, were killed when the plane experienced engine failure soon after take off. (AAP: Joe Castro)

The company's website said he had more than 38 years of charter experience and "an impeccable safety record".

At least three friends of Mr Quartermain contacted the ABC yesterday and described him as being a highly respected and trusted pilot.

CASA records showed the plane which crashed at Essendon yesterday, with the call sign VH-ZCR, was registered with Australian Corporate Jet Centres at Essendon.

When contacted last night, the ABC was referred to the company's chief executive, Vas Nikolovski, who did not return calls.

Some 'commercial development incompatible with aviation'

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association executive director Benjamin Morgan said planning rules which had allowed large buildings close to airport runways meant pilots no longer had space in the case of emergencies.

"Distinctly separate from the investigation that will take place now, I do see an issue in the location of DFO," he told ABC Radio Melbourne.

[Image: 8289740-3x2-700x467.jpg] Photo: A wheel on the Tullamarine Freeway that came from the plane. (ABC News: Jane Cowan)

"The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association over the last two decades has been advocating quite strongly to the government and various stakeholders that there has been far too much commercial and industrial development that is simply incompatible with aviation.

"I think that what we're looking at here is not isolated to Essendon, it is replicated at many airports around the country and it has come as the result of airport privatisation and it's a very sad outcome."

Mr Morgan said both private and commercial flights, however, were subject to stringent checks.

"Certainly the Beechcraft King Air is renowned globally as being a very reliable and safe aircraft," he said.
Quote:"We, like the rest of Australia, find this accident incredibly terrible and sad."
Police said it would be several more days before air safety investigators finished examining the scene after the crash.

Essendon Airport and the shopping centre will be closed while investigations continue.

Out of all the completely saturated MSM coverage and speculation so far one of the most disturbing and possibly revealing pieces of media (IMO) is the short dash cam footage... Confused

On this comment:

"..The final report was due to be released last year, but has been delayed several times. A final report is due in May..."

& this capture from Pixie... Wink :

Quote:[Image: C5Oi5drUoAAkJfs.jpg]

There was also this quote from the ATSB investigation webpage - AO-2015-108

Quote:Updated 19 December 2016

Completion of the draft investigation report has been further delayed by the involvement of the investigator in charge on other aviation safety investigations and tasks. It is now anticipated for release to directly involved parties (DIP) for comment in March 2017. Feedback from those parties over the 28-day DIP period on the factual accuracy of the draft report will be considered for inclusion in the final report, which is anticipated to be released to the public no later than May 2017.

No surprises there hey Pix.. Dodgy

I will again highlight that these 'administrative delays' and O&O (top-cover) excuses have now become a clear 'normalised deficiency' associated with nearly all higher profile serious incidents and/or accidents.

Definitely MTF!...P2  Dodgy

From an ABC article today;

"It is still unclear who the registered operator of the plane was on the day of the crash after a delay in the transfer paperwork between Bendigo-based My Jet, and Australian Corporate Jet Centres (ACJC) based at Essendon.
CASA updated its database at 12:01pm yesterday, three hours after the crash, to show ACJC as the registered operator.
"Our involvement in yesterday was less than zero," ACJC chief executive Vas Nikolovski said.
Sources told the ABC the question of registration, however, is unlikely to affect the outcome of the investigation.

In reference to my bolded bit, it's probably not a huge deal, but I am always amused by CAsA's sneakiness. It's just who they are, always trying to correct things or covertly amend things when there is a risk that they be caught out on the back foot. It's the first thin they would have thought; 'make sure we look squeaky clean above all else'.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-22...ck/8294244

Update 23/02/17: YMEN VH-ZCR CFIT fatal accident.

(02-23-2017, 07:11 AM)Gobbledock Wrote:  From an ABC article today;

"It is still unclear who the registered operator of the plane was on the day of the crash after a delay in the transfer paperwork between Bendigo-based My Jet, and Australian Corporate Jet Centres (ACJC) based at Essendon.
CASA updated its database at 12:01pm yesterday, three hours after the crash, to show ACJC as the registered operator.
"Our involvement in yesterday was less than zero," ACJC chief executive Vas Nikolovski said.
Sources told the ABC the question of registration, however, is unlikely to affect the outcome of the investigation.

In reference to my bolded bit, it's probably not a huge deal, but I am always amused by CAsA's sneakiness. It's just who they are, always trying to correct things or covertly amend things when there is a risk that they be caught out on the back foot. It's the first thin they would have thought; 'make sure we look squeaky clean above all else'.

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-22...ck/8294244

Excellent catch Gobbles and I have it on good authority that the registration issue IS a big deal.. Confused

Here is the excellent informative ABC article in full... Wink:
Quote:Essendon plane crash aircraft recently underwent maintenance check
Updated Thu Feb 23 06:25:30 EST 2017

Watch [Image: 8289144-16x9-460x259.jpg]
Video 0:49
Aerial footage shows the plane crash site at a shopping centre near Essendon Airport (Courtesy Channel 9)

ABC News
A plane that crashed near Essendon Airport, killing five people, had been through a maintenance check only last month, it has been revealed, as investigators continue to gather evidence at the scene.

Four American tourists and Australian pilot Max Quartermain died after their Beechcraft B200 Super King Air crashed shortly after take-off.

It crashed into the nearby DFO shopping centre, hitting the storage areas of Focus on Furniture and JB Hi Fi, before bursting into flames.

What will crash investigators be looking for?
[Image: beechcraft-b200-super-king-air-turbo-pro...e-data.jpg]
The ATSB, CASA investigation will probe why the plane lost power and was unable to land safely.

The ABC has been told the plane had only flown five hours since its last maintenance.
The plane was built in 1996 and the ABC understands it had previously been used in Noumea, before being registered in Australia in December 2013.

The ABC has been told at the time of the accident Mr Quartermain was qualified to conduct flights after facing four Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) tests since an incident in September 2015, when his aircraft was involved in a near miss in bad weather at Mt Hotham.

Mr Quartermain was tested twice immediately after the Mount Hotham incident, and twice last year.
[/url]
Video 1:38 Air crash investigators say they will remain at the scene of the fatal plane crash for the next few days

[url=http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-22/air-crash-investigators-will-remain-at-crash-scene-for-few-days/8292682][Image: 8292684-3x2-220x147.jpg]ABC News

It is still unclear who the registered operator of the plane was on the day of the crash after a delay in the transfer paperwork between Bendigo-based My Jet, and Australian Corporate Jet Centres (ACJC) based at Essendon.

Mr Quartermain — who has been described as an experienced and trusted pilot — was the co-owner of Corporate and Leisure Aviation, which had hired the plane for a charter flight.

[Image: 8289304-3x2-460x307.jpg]
Photo Police will use eyewitness accounts and CCTV footage as part of a brief for the coroner.
Metropolitan Fire Brigade

Preliminary crash report to be completed within 28 days

Four Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB) investigators are at the crash site, and are likely to remain there for several days.

ATSB chief commissioner Greg Hood said forensic examinations would then be conducted off-site and a preliminary report into the crash would be completed within 28 days.

Quote:"We're very much in the gathering of evidence phase," he said.

Police Superintendent Mick Frewen said police would produce a brief for the coroner including information from eyewitness accounts, CCTV footage, and details posted on social media.

He called on anyone with information to get in contact with authorities.

[Image: 8294378-3x2-460x307.jpg]
Photo An Australian flag flies at half-mast at Essendon Airport.

ABC News: Joanna Crothers

"We will be working closely with the ATSB over the course of the investigation," he said.
He said it could take some time for the investigation to be completed.

Essendon Airport, often used to transport freight, was closed today out of respect for the victims and their families.

Only essential emergency services were allowed access and a flag on the grounds was flown at half-mast.

The airport reopened at 6:00am.

A DFO spokeswoman said the shopping centre, and an adjacent homewares centre, would remain closed "until further notice".

The Bulla Road entry ramp inbound onto the Tullamarine Freeway remains closed during investigations.

Also the Minister this AM informed us via twitter  Wink :
Quote:ATSB has confirmed: cockpit voice recorder from aircraft which crashed at Essendon has been recovered & enroute to Canberra for analysis
However this is yet to be confirmed on the ATSB investigation webpage - HERE - or on any of the ATSB media feeds.. Undecided

Next from the Oz today:

Quote:Air agencies spoke on near-miss

[Image: 360f9d4bef502e3930e4120d236b280b]12:00am SIMONE FOX KOOB

In 2015, Essendon crash pilot Max Quartermain almost hit another aircraft after having GPS problems at Mount Hotham. P2 - Also HERE

Crash airport: expansion on hold

[Image: 467fe0ee203c60b4f4f61dfa392d3a0a]12:00amCHIP Le GRAND

Australia’s pilots accuse airports and successive federal governments of putting commercial gain ahead of safety.

Finally from the SMH with an article that will be examined in greater detail on the re-incarnated Dots & Dashes thread.. Wink :

Quote:Pilots untrained to deal with 'feathering' failure that may have caused DFO crash: experts
  • Liam Mannix, Matt O'Sullivan and Deborah Gough
  • 262 reading now
Failures in both the engine and 'feathering' system, that pilots are not trained to deal with, may be behind Tuesday's fatal plane crash, experts say.

Investigators remain at Essendon Airport, sifting through pieces of wreckage from Tuesday's light plane crash that killed five, as they try to determine what went so fatally wrong.

But experts say several crucial clues may point to a failure of the feathering system on the Beechcraft King Air.

A remarkably similar fatal crash in 2001, referenced by air crash investigators at a press conference on Wednesday, involved another King Air whose engine failed. Its propeller did not feather, and it drifted to the left before crashing.

[Image: 1487776409812.jpg] The crash scene Photo: Seven News

Tuesday's doomed flight left the runway just before 9am.  It rose 30 metres, called in two urgent maydays, veered gently to the left and crashed only a few hundred metres from its takeoff point.

The leftward drift may indicate a failure of both the engine and the plane's feathering system, said CQUniversity associate professor Geoff Dell. Mr Dell is a former air safety investigator and now teaches accident investigation.

Police said on Tuesday "catastrophic engine failure" may have contributed to the crash. Modern aircraft are designed to still take off safely even if one engine fails – but not if both the engine and feathering system fail at the same time.

The feathering system detects engine failure and automatically streamlines the blade position for minimal drag, allowing the plane to continue to fly with one engine.

If the feathering system fails, "then you're in really deep poo", Mr Dell said.

"If it does not feather it's creating a huge amount of drag. In that circumstance, it's difficult, almost impossible to fly. The aeroplane will turn toward the dead engine, the one that's generating the drag. So you get this big turn toward the left."

Pilots do not train for such a scenario because failures of both engine and feathering are considered so unlikely, Mr Dell said.

But a poorly maintained engine might lead to one system failing and damaging the other, he said. "Then the odds are less long that you're going to come to grief."

Aviation consultant and managing director at Aerospace Developments Peter Marosszéky said if he was the Australian Transport Safety Bureau he "would certainly be looking" at a feathering failure.

"It's a very unusual event for this type of engine and this type of airplane. These systems are very well proven and reliable. Something does not smell right.

"I suspect very strongly that, if in fact there was an auto-feathering feature, it did not happen."

At a press conference on Wednesday the man in charge of the investigation, ATSB chief commissioner Greg Hood, was giving very little away.

But when asked about other accidents involving the King Air, the airframe involved in yesterday's disaster, Mr Hood said "Toowoomba comes to mind".

In that incident, in 2001 in Toowoomba, a Beech King Air C90 suffered left-engine failure on takeoff. It veered gently left, lost altitude and crashed about 560 metres beyond the end of the runway, killing all on board.

An ATSB investigation of that incident revealed the aircraft's left propeller did not feather, creating significant drag that may have contributed to the crash.

[Image: 2102DFOCrash2729px.jpg]

Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association president Paul Cousins suspects the Beechcraft suffered an "uncontained engine failure", which likely led to debris hitting other vital parts of the plane.

"The aircraft should have had enough power to get out on one engine," he said.

"It would lead us to see this as an uncontained failure, and that there was serious damage to flight control surfaces, and that [the pilot] was unable to recover."

MTF...P2  Cool

Safety first

I noticed Hoody setting the safety lead by donning the hi-vis vest. Makes him a tad more credible than the Sunrise aviation non-expert and chief facetaker Geofferey Thomas.

I am surprised that the pompous and conceited supposed font of aviation and legal knowledge, I-Ron-Bar and his buddy Collins Submarine haven't been spruiking their theories publicly yet??

GD #116 - CASA updated its database at 12:01pm yesterday, three hours after the crash, to show ACJC as the registered operator. (My bold).

GD - In reference to my bold bit, it's probably not a huge deal,

Naughty GD – and very cunning; you know as well as I do that under law (strict liability) most of the ‘responsibility’ falls on – “the registered operator” (RO). Now, who will get to this vexed question first? The insurance lawyers are a good bet; IF (big) if the certificate of registration holder was ‘still liable’ as the registered ‘operator’ it could place someone in a very ‘murky’ position – liability wise; particularly in regard to maintenance.  I can’t be bothered to look up any changes to the regs which may affect this; but, if there are any, it will not be to the advantage of the RO and if this proves to a maintenance related accident – or even a question of who was actually the party ‘responsible’ for the aircraft and operations; it become a picnic day for the legal eagles.

The fact that CASA moved so swiftly must set the litigation bells ringing; perhaps it is all kosher and all the ducks are neatly lined up – but it is an area worth watching.

"Pilots untrained to deal with 'feathering' failure that may have caused DFO crash: experts"

Bollocks – sentence 1.

Failures in both the engine and 'feathering' system, that pilots are not trained to deal with, may be behind Tuesday's fatal plane crash, experts say.

Complete utter rubbish; the first class ‘auto-feather’ and ‘rudder boost’ system are ‘assist’ only. They are categorically not to replace a well trained pilot.  Nor should these systems  ever be totally relied on as the ‘definitive answer’ to an engine failure in the ‘low-slow’ configuration. Even if both systems failed, simultaneously at the most critical moment it would matter little to any pilot who had been ‘trained’ to actually fly the aircraft, rather one only trained to pedal ‘the box’ around the sim exercise garden circuit.

Item one – failed engine – big yaw – big rudder; balance is all. Rudder boost failed – so what, use muscle and trim, but do NOT allow the ‘yaw’ to continue.

Item two – failed engine – balanced aircraft – failed unit identified; feather and fuel off – or Fuel off and feather for fire –no matter – reduce the drag – quickly; after correctly identifying the ‘failed’ power unit.

Item three – Speed – must have – and the ‘right’ one then maintain that speed until clear of obstacles – power available from live engine; performance available from setting up the right ‘asymmetric balance’ take height with speed stabilised; clean up; sort it out then get on the radio and back to earth a.s.a.p.

There are several items which must be considered during this difficult first thirty seconds; e.g. what is there to bang into and how best to avoid it – in terms of given altitude and rate of climb being produced; it is important to remember that the undercarriage will take a longer period of time to retract, (hydraulics question) which will delay accelerating to and achieving the Single engine best rate of climb speed (SEBROC). In fact SEBROC may not be achieved initially; but, a well managed take off takes the aircraft very quickly through the ‘speed gates’. A Be 20 should, on a runway like Essendon be doing 110 -120 knots as the gear comes up before the end of the runway. The old Dash 41 models rotated at 92 (ish) knots and went very quickly through safe single engine speed 104 achieving 115 Kias* (single engine best rate of climb) with the gear retracting SEBROC 121 Kias came within seconds, followed swiftly by Multi engine best rate of climb speed @125 Kias.  In not technical short, from 80 Kias through to 160 Kias (normal climb) happens very swiftly, the only real ‘grey’ period is between 90 and 115 Kias.  ( Sorry P&W- 41 numbers; 42 not to hand). *KIAS – Knots indicated Air Speed.

It is a great mistake to sit back and do nothing while relying on rudder boost, auto feather and the gods to drag you through the very short ‘grey’ period. It is reprehensible for this reliance to become normal; it is completely irresponsible to teach this dependence as a requirement.

I want to know who trained this pilot, I want to know where his ‘retraining’ was done after the Hotham scare. I particularly want to examine the sim print outs and the check list procedures and who’s sim was used to execute these procedures.

FFS someone; get into a Be20 with a camera and a stopwatch; watch the airspeed and altimeter; you will be amazed at the speed which the aircraft achieves safe flight speeds; then do it again for an EFATO with a ‘proper’ King air pilot; use the RFDS, and, be even more amazed as the aircraft, properly handled, breezes through the event; even with the rudder boost and auto-feather disabled.

Lord I am tired to my very bones of bloody ‘experts’ and their empty headed rational.

Aye well – what can you do – except try to explain it to the ‘media’ again and again and again. The up side is they’ll have forgotten it all by next week and we can have a real look at this accident.

Toot toot.

Tom;

"The fact that CASA moved so swiftly must set the litigation bells ringing; perhaps it is all kosher and all the ducks are neatly lined up – but it is an area worth watching".

Indeed. All a bit suspicious. And of course CAsA is as trustworthy as a pedophile in a playground!

Update 23/02/17: YMEN VH-ZCR CFIT fatal accident.

Via the Oz today:
Quote:Profit shouldn’t override safety

[Image: 53344e2846f08da5fbb14819305f841b]12:00amJOSEPH WHEELER
When is an airport not about ­aviation? In Australia at least, the answer to that question depends on whom you ask.

Moves to limit airport’s growth

[Image: cbb29ffd035dd336f348fb853a4ca0c3]12:00amCHIP Le GRAND

Curbing Essendon Airport’s activities would reduce by two-thirds the number of flights to and from the airfield.

SSHH - Don't tell P1... Wink

Crash plane passed service tests

[Image: 2dee9d5ebab767cb61033ea4fbf29830]12:00amPAUL CLEARY

The plane that crashed at Essendon Airport killing five people was in excellent condition, a maintenance company says.

Quote:The twin-engine Beechcraft Super King Air that crashed this week at Essendon Airport killing five ­people was in excellent condition when it was serviced about eight weeks before the crash, according to the company that did the job.

A technician at service company Interair said there were “absolutely no issues whatsoever” with the aircraft when it underwent a “routine” service.

The technician, who asked not to be named, said the plane had done about 20 hours of flying after the service, and he said it was “quite surprising” that such a plane could crash in the way that it did.

The crash appears to have raised some thorny regulatory ­issues associated with the owner and operator responsibilities, and that the pilot was under investi­gation for an earlier incident by the Australian Transport Safety Bureau.

The Beechcraft had been owned by a Bendigo company that trades under the name MyJet, but the ownership was being transferred to Australian Corporate Jet Centres, a charter company based at Essendon Airport.

However, ACJC had not obtained all of the paperwork at the time of the accident, so it was not the registered operator.

The pilot, Max Quartermain, had cross-hired the plane from the people who used to own MyJet.

Mr Quartermain underwent proficiency checks with CASA after he came close to colliding with another plane at Mount Hotham in September 2015.

But the investigation by ATSB, which is to be released no later than May, is understood to have found that Mr Quartermain experienced difficulties with his GPS tracking while approaching the ski resort airport in cloudy skies and came within 90m of another plane coming in to land.

Veteran aviator Dick Smith said the Mount Hotham incident was similar to the issues he has been raising about Hobart ­airport.

In letters he sent to CASA, ATSB and the minister last month, Mr Smith explained how he was forced to manually step down in altitude because the air traffic controllers were not using the new digital system known as ADS-B (automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast).

“This is exactly the circumstances of Tasmania of not using the radar we have,” Mr Smith said.

Former Qantas pilot Bill Hamilton, who flew 747s for 35 years, says that ADS-B has not made the skies any safer and has instead shifted costs on to aircraft operators.

Mr Hamilton was responding to an article in The Australian last month in which CASA chief executive Shane Carmody said ADS-B would vastly improve air safety.

From February 2, all Australian aircraft engaged in airline transport, charter work or other aerial work must have ADS-B equipment installed and in use.

“ADS-B makes the sky a safer place by allowing aircraft to know each other’s location. It also gives air traffic controllers a much more accurate picture of what is going on up there,” he wrote.

But Mr Hamilton said: “There’s an enormous cost shift from air services to airlines and aircraft ­operators. Hundreds of millions of dollars of costs without any reduction in air service charges to airlines. It’s allowed them to get rid of a lot of ground-based aviation aids, nobody has ever produced a cost-benefit analysis of ADS-B.

“But there is a cost effectiveness of ADS-B from Airservices’ viewpoint. It is very cost effective, shifting cost to airlines.”

ADS-B was the result of a “crusade” by a small group of people in Airservices.
CASA operates a “just culture” compliance regime that does not have statutory fines and suspensions for negligence by pilots.

A CASA spokesman said this approach meant “people are not punished for acts or omissions that are commensurate with their ­experience, qualifications and training”.
An “honest mistake” could be a complete defence for charges faced under civil aviation regulations, he added.

Asked whether it was appropriate for pilots involved in matters being investigated by the ATSB to continue flying without any restrictions, the CASA spokesman said “it may well be — if this does not pose unacceptable risks to air safety”.

“In any case where an event that has given rise to an ATSB investigation has also given CASA cause to be concerned about the ability of a pilot to fly safely, CASA is able to take necessary action to vary or suspend the pilot’s licence until CASA can be satisfied that any shortcomings or deficiencies in the pilot’s skills or abilities have been corrected,” he said.

Thank you to South African photo & aviation investigative journalist Mark D Young who tweeped me this much cleaner Youtube vid of the final seconds of the final fatal flight of VH-ZCR.. Angel

MTF...P2 Cool