Aviation – a' la King.

Hansard etc.. out??

Via APH:  Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport References Committee 20/09/2024
Impact and Mitigation of aircraft noise

Submissions link for public hearing: https://www.aph.gov.au/DocumentStore.ash...sions=true

Quote:For an insight into the potential future for the GA industry, if as predicted we end up with a Labor/Greens minority government after the next election, refer to the following video from the 50:50 minute mark... Dodgy

Quote:Senator HODGINS-MAY: Thank you, Ms Marshall. My next question is related to leaded fuel. Is it okay to ask this question of this particular panel? I want to follow up on an unanswered question on notice to CASA about the use of leaded fuel—question No. SQ24-000959.

Mr Marcelja : Sorry, Senator, I don't have that one with me.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: You don't? Basically, I was just going to follow up on that and ask if it's correct that none of you—the department, Airservices Australia or CASA—collect data about the use of leaded fuel.

Mr Marcelja : That's correct; yes.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: You don't?

Mr Marcelja : We don't collect data. To my knowledge nobody does.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: Is it correct that leaded fuel is used by aircraft at both Brisbane and Archerfield airports?

Mr Marcelja : Low-lead fuel is used by most general aviation aircraft around the country; yes.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: Is there any explanation why no-one collects data on this?

Mr Marcelja : I guess the data would only exist in the volumes of fuel sold. The fuel providers might be able to provide volumes, but there's no requirement for anyone at this table to collect the data, so nobody does that.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: I'm aware that aircraft out of Archerfield Airport operate as mostly uncontrolled airspace below the arrival and departure paths from Brisbane Airport. Is that correct?

Mr Marcelja : I think that's a better question for Mr Curran.

Mr Curran : Sorry, would you mind repeating it?

Senator HODGINS-MAY: That's absolutely fine. Does aircraft out of Archerfield Airport operate as mostly uncontrolled airspace below the arrival and departure paths from Brisbane Airport?

Mr Curran : I don't think I could say that's mostly the case. Archerfield Airport is not a 24-hour operation. It can be the case that, depending on the time of day, depending on the particular destination and the flight path an individual flight wishes to take, they may be in controlled airspace or they may not be. Also, depending on the flight rules that a particular operation is operating to, Airservices may be providing a service or may not be providing a service.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: So the aircraft using lead based fuel from Archerfield Airport are not being monitored in any way in their fuel use, and they also aren't necessarily following any designated flight paths—it varies?

Mr Curran : That could be the case. If they're operating visually, they may well be complying with all the rules. It's possible to operate visually and not be receiving a service from us. It's possible to be operating visually and be receiving a service from us. It really would depend. It's very difficult to give a precise answer on that particular question.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: I raise that because the committee has been made aware, through a confidential submission, of a positive test for lead in tank water on a property located in Brisbane and not close to high-traffic road or industry. This is believed to be attributed to low-flying aircraft using lead based fuel. We also know the Environment Protection Agency in the US said last year:

… that emissions of lead from aircraft that operate on leaded fuel cause or contribute to air pollution which may reasonably be anticipated to endanger public health and welfare …

As a result, in the US they're aiming to stop using lead fuel by 2030. Considering this, I'm curious as to why the government doesn't monitor the use of leaded fuel and what lessons we might learn from that?

Ms Purvis-Smith : As has already been mentioned at the table, there are no requirements in any of the acts for us to monitor leaded fuel at the moment. There is no agency at the moment that is monitoring the use of leaded fuel.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: It just seems concerning that Archerfield Airport is right next to a primary school, Acacia Ridge State School, and we have significant concerns that there's no way the government can be sure that lead pollution isn't affecting the kids at that school. From my understanding, lead based fuel isn't mentioned at all in the Aviation white paper. Why is this? Do you have any response to maybe why it's not mentioned in the white paper?

Ms Purvis-Smith : The white paper is the government's policies for aviation going forward. They're the decisions that the government has made in relation to the aviation sector for the white paper.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: Okay, so no more information about potential plans to phase out the use of leaded fuel.

Mr Marcelja : Part of the issue, Senator, is most of our general aviation fleet is very old, and those aircraft and those engines were designed for a particular fuel type so that's the challenge that we all face.

Senator HODGINS-MAY: Okay

Plus for Part II:

Quote:8
[Image: pdf.png]

Brisbane Airport New Parallel Runway Percentage Usage of Modes DRAFT EIS/MDP, tabled by Peter Curran, Deputy Chief Executive Officer, Airservices Australia, at a public hearing in Canberra on 20 September 2024

9[Image: pdf.png]

Civil Aviation Safety Authority, opening statement, tabled by Andreas Marcelja, Acting Director of Aviation Safety, at a public hearing in Canberra on 20 September 2024

10[Image: pdf.png]

Western Sydney Airport, opening statement, tabled by Mr Simon Hickey, Chief Executive Officer, at a public hearing in Canberra on 20 September 2024

11[Image: pdf.png]

Department of Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development, Communications and the Arts, Third Runway Major Development Plan, Melbourne Airport Conditions of Approval, tabled by Sarah Nattey, Assistant Secretary, Airports Branch - Domestic Aviation & Reform, at a public hearing in Canberra on 20 September 2024

Via Miniscule DK's media minions:

Quote:Reducing airport noise for Brisbane residents
The Albanese Government has taken further steps to offer aircraft noise relief for the Brisbane community, particularly for residents of suburbs closest to the end of the parallel runways at Brisbane Airport. 
I understand that aircraft noise is a source of frustration for communities living under the flight paths around the Airport. 
That is why I have now issued a written direction which has the effect of requiring Airservices to implement the actions within recommendation 2.1 of the Noise Action Plan for Brisbane by 30 November 2024.
This direction will involve Airservices prioritising the development of procedures to enable the greater use of Simultaneous Opposite Direction Parallel Runway Operations (SODPROPS) at Brisbane Airport, when meteorological and other operational conditions allow. 
Ultimately, this will mean more flights over the water and fewer flights over communities.
The direction also includes reporting requirements to enhance transparency for the community.
These actions will build on the progress Airservices has already made to improve aircraft noise outcomes for the Brisbane community as part of the Action Plan. Actions undertaken in 2023 include: 
  • Permanently extending SODPROPS operations to 8am on Saturday and Sunday mornings and from 8pm on Saturday evenings 
  • Removing the Noise Abatement Procedure that allowed the new runway to be used over land from 5am for non-jet departures 
  • Implementing non-jet early turns from the legacy runway over land before 6am, so that aircraft cross the industrial area adjoining Brisbane Airport and complete their climb over water 
  • A change of runway from the new parallel runway to the legacy one for over water departures to the west, to address an existing operational safety issue.

This adds to a range of measures announced through the Aviation White Paper that will better manage the impacts of noise at airports across the country.
These measures include:
  • Creating an independent ombuds scheme for aircraft noise
  • Appointing an Airservices Australia executive for noise and environment to lead the agency’s work on noise minimisation
  • Improving engagement with communities affected by changes to airspace and flight paths. 

For more information, including to view the written direction and explanatory documents, visit https://infrastructure.gov.au/airservice...-direction.

Date published:

18 September 2024

The Hon Catherine King MP, Minister for Infrastructure, Transport, Regional Development and Local Government, has issued a written direction to Airservices Australia under section 16(1) of the Air Services Act 1995. The written direction has the effect of requiring Airservices Australia to implement the actions within recommendation 2.1 of the Noise Action Plan for Brisbane by 30 November 2024.

Document
 Air Services (Use of Simultaneous Opposite Direction Parallel Runway Operations at Brisbane Airport) Direction 2024 (583.54 KB)
Document
 Explanatory notes–Air Services (Use of Simultaneous Opposite Direction Parallel Runway Operations at Brisbane Airport) Direction (137.43 KB)