

**From:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**To:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Wednesday, 28 February 2024 9:49:00 AM

---

## OFFICIAL

Hi Amanda

I hope your week is going well. I might pop up to chat about the material in the email below, as it relates to 1, possibly 2, matters carrying some sensitivity. But I might start with email given how difficult it can be for our calendars to match.

Our Branches both have responsibilities relating to the freedom of information disclosure log. Under the weight of FOI matters in the latter part of 2023, s47F did not keep the log up to date beyond last August – a matter that I did not become aware of until late December.

We are now in the process of clearing the backlog and have started submitting the forms for all outstanding FOI matters to be uploaded in accordance with our obligations under the FOI legislation. I acknowledge and accept that your web team may not be able to action these requests as quickly as they will come in for the next day, and am comfortable that your team will action the forms as and when they can (but hopefully in a reasonably prompt fashion). There are 2 issues related to this activity.

First, Jonathan and I met with Andreas last week at which we discussed the format of the disclosure log. There are several options that comply with the FOI legislation, principally:

1. Publishing the documents
2. Publishing links to the documents hosted on a CASA drive
3. Publishing the list of the documents and providing them on request.

I get the impression that Andreas is leaning towards the third option above. As I indicate above, this remains compliant with the legislation and in this regard I have no issue with that preference. I said at the meeting, consistent with Andreas's suggestion, that we will just keep sending the documents through. SED can then determine what to do with the documents as part of the process passing through the web team. Apologies if you've been briefed on all this already. Although I am comfortable with any of the options, LIRA (including Jonathan) would appreciate advice about what option, or potentially what combination of options, SED has landed on. Could you please let me know this when you can?

Secondly, some of the documents to be included in the log don't meet the accessibility requirements for web publishing. I understand that s47F has previously made the necessary adaptations for s47F, but s4 has pushed back on this given the larger quantity of documents presently coming through. I do have someone helping me until COB today on this s47F has looked at the manual on the accessibility rules but cannot convert the manual instructions into an understanding of what s4 needs to do in practice, including from an IT technical perspective. Given that the expertise exists in your Branch, my preference would be for s47F (or one of s4 colleagues) to continue to undertake this task, even if it slows down the upload process. I suspect that we might not get this result easily without some influence from you, assuming of course you support the outcome. This obviously

also depends on the outcome of the first issue above, insofar as there is no immediate need to prepare accessible documents if we are only publishing the list (option 3 above).

Please let me know when you've had a chance to consider the points above and we can have a chat.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

*CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging*

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**To:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Thursday, 29 February 2024 11:04:15 AM

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Paul

I've spoken with the team over the last few days about this following a chat with Andreas too.

We're going to proceed immediately with option 3 and getting the log only updated.

As a temporary solution, we'll save the files provided somewhere and look at some short-term options, perhaps through the CSC whereby these can be easily provided on request. I expect that might take a couple of weeks to sort out though as I'm out for 2 weeks from next Friday and Michelle Massey is also about to go on leave.

In the medium term we'll also look at whether we publish them, without meeting accessibility requirements, how much work is involved in the accessibility aspects and how this could be resourced. Given the volume of documents I'm also not resourced to make documents accessible.

We can potentially publish and not be in breach of the Disability Act so long as we provide an alternative way for people to request them in another format (which might be a request going to your team, something I can't see will happen often/ if at all based on history). That will just take a bit longer to work through and if as you say we are compliant without publishing them then we'll deal with compliance first and foremost and other aspects as secondary.

Happy to chat further.

Amanda

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au>  
**Sent:** Wednesday, February 28, 2024 9:50 AM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au>  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I hope your week is going well. I might pop up to chat about the material in the email below, as it relates to 1, possibly 2, matters carrying some sensitivity. But I might start with email given how difficult it can be for our calendars to match.

Our Branches both have responsibilities relating to the freedom of information disclosure log. Under the weight of FOI matters in the latter part of 2023, s47F did not keep the log up to date beyond last August – a matter that I did not become aware of until late December.

We are now in the process of clearing the backlog and have started submitting the forms for all outstanding FOI matters to be uploaded in accordance with our obligations under the FOI legislation. I acknowledge and accept that your web team may not be able to action these requests as quickly as they will come in for the next day, and am comfortable that your team will action the forms as and when they can (but hopefully in a reasonably prompt fashion). There are 2 issues related to this activity.

First, Jonathan and I met with Andreas last week at which we discussed the format of the disclosure log. There are several options that comply with the FOI legislation, principally:

1. Publishing the documents
2. Publishing links to the documents hosted on a CASA drive
3. Publishing the list of the documents and providing them on request.

I get the impression that Andreas is leaning towards the third option above. As I indicate above, this remains compliant with the legislation and in this regard I have no issue with that preference. I said at the meeting, consistent with Andreas's suggestion, that we will just keep sending the documents through. SED can then determine what to do with the documents as part of the process passing through the web team. Apologies if you've been briefed on all this already. Although I am comfortable with any of the options, LIRA (including Jonathan) would appreciate advice about what option, or potentially what combination of options, SED has landed on. Could you please let me know this when you can?

Secondly, some of the documents to be included in the log don't meet the accessibility requirements for web publishing. I understand that s47F has previously made the necessary adaptations for s47F, but s4 has pushed back on this given the larger quantity of documents presently coming through. I do have someone helping me until COB today on this s47F has looked at the manual on the accessibility rules but cannot convert the manual instructions into an understanding of what s4 needs to do in practice, including from an IT technical perspective. Given that the expertise exists in your Branch, my preference would be for s47F (or one of s4 colleagues) to continue to undertake this task, even if it slows down the upload process. I suspect that we might not get this result easily without some influence from you, assuming of course you support the outcome. This obviously also depends on the outcome of the first issue above, insofar as there is no immediate need to prepare accessible documents if we are only publishing the list (option 3 above).

Please let me know when you've had a chance to consider the points above and we can have a chat.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)

Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting

CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

**IMPORTANT:**

This email may contain confidential or legally privileged information and may be protected by copyright. It remains the property of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and is meant only for use by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete all copies, together with any attachments.

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**To:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Thursday, 29 February 2024 11:55:00 AM

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

That is all fine to me. Given the number of times we might expect the accessibility issue to arise, I think a solution that enables us to manage it on a case by case basis (option 3) is acceptable.


Thanks for your engagement on this matter and your constructive responses below.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

 *CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging*

---

**From:** Palmer, Amanda <Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au>  
**Sent:** Thursday, February 29, 2024 11:04 AM  
**To:** Hibberd, Paul <Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au>  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Paul

I've spoken with the team over the last few days about this following a chat with Andreas too.

We're going to proceed immediately with option 3 and getting the log only updated.

As a temporary solution, we'll save the files provided somewhere and look at some short-term options, perhaps through the CSC whereby these can be easily provided on request. I expect that might take a couple of weeks to sort out though as I'm out for 2 weeks from next Friday and Michelle Massey is also about to go on leave.

In the medium term we'll also look at whether we publish them without meeting

accessibility requirements, how much work is involved in the accessibility aspects and how this could be resourced. Given the volume of documents I'm also not resourced to make documents accessible.

We can potentially publish and not be in breach of the Disability Act so long as we provide an alternative way for people to request them in another format (which might be a request going to your team, something I can't see will happen often/ if at all based on history). That will just take a bit longer to work through and if as you say we are compliant without publishing them then we'll deal with compliance first and foremost and other aspects as secondary.

Happy to chat further.

Amanda

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <[Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au](mailto:Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au)>  
**Sent:** Wednesday, February 28, 2024 9:50 AM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](mailto:Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au)>  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I hope your week is going well. I might pop up to chat about the material in the email below, as it relates to 1, possibly 2, matters carrying some sensitivity. But I might start with email given how difficult it can be for our calendars to match.

Our Branches both have responsibilities relating to the freedom of information disclosure log. Under the weight of FOI matters in the latter part of 2023, s47F did not keep the log up to date beyond last August – a matter that I did not become aware of until late December.

We are now in the process of clearing the backlog and have started submitting the forms for all outstanding FOI matters to be uploaded in accordance with our obligations under the FOI legislation. I acknowledge and accept that your web team may not be able to action these requests as quickly as they will come in for the next day, and am comfortable that your team will action the forms as and when they can (but hopefully in a reasonably prompt fashion). There are 2 issues related to this activity.

First, Jonathan and I met with Andreas last week at which we discussed the format of the disclosure log. There are several options that comply with the FOI legislation, principally:

1. Publishing the documents
2. Publishing links to the documents hosted on a CASA drive
3. Publishing the list of the documents and providing them on request.

I get the impression that Andreas is leaning towards the third option above. As I indicate above, this remains compliant with the legislation and in this regard I have no issue with that

preference. I said at the meeting, consistent with Andreas's suggestion, that we will just keep sending the documents through. SED can then determine what to do with the documents as part of the process passing through the web team. Apologies if you've been briefed on all this already. Although I am comfortable with any of the options, LIRA (including Jonathan) would appreciate advice about what option, or potentially what combination of options, SED has landed on. Could you please let me know this when you can?

Secondly, some of the documents to be included in the log don't meet the accessibility requirements for web publishing. I understand that s47F has previously made the necessary adaptations for s47F but s4 has pushed back on this given the larger quantity of documents presently coming through. I do have someone helping me until COB today on this s47F has looked at the manual on the accessibility rules but cannot convert the manual instructions into an understanding of what s47 needs to do in practice, including from an IT technical perspective. Given that the expertise exists in your Branch, my preference would be for s47F (or one of s4 colleagues) to continue to undertake this task, even if it slows down the upload process. I suspect that we might not get this result easily without some influence from you, assuming of course you support the outcome. This obviously also depends on the outcome of the first issue above, insofar as there is no immediate need to prepare accessible documents if we are only publishing the list (option 3 above).

Please let me know when you've had a chance to consider the points above and we can have a chat.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul Hibberd (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
CASA Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

**IMPORTANT:**

This email may contain confidential or legally privileged information and may be protected by copyright. It remains the property of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and is meant only for use by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete all copies, together with any attachments.



**From:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**To:** [Aleck, Jonathan](#)  
**Cc:** s47F  
**Subject:** FW: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Thursday, 29 February 2024 11:57:00 AM

---

**OFFICIAL**

Jonathan

FYI – SED will publish the list of FOI released documents on the disclosure log and make the available on request. This is the sensible approach, consistent with the FOI Act, that enables us to manage the clearance of the backlog and to manage accessibility issues when they arise. I support this approach, for the reasons SED has given.

Please let me know if you'd like to discuss this further.

Kind regards

Paul

[Paul Hibberd](#) (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
[CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division](#)

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

---

**From:** Palmer, Amanda <Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au>  
**Sent:** Thursday, February 29, 2024 11:04 AM  
**To:** Hibberd, Paul <Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au>  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Paul

I've spoken with the team over the last few days about this following a chat with Andreas too.

We're going to proceed immediately with option 3 and getting the log only updated.

As a temporary solution, we'll save the files provided somewhere and look at some short-term options, perhaps through the CSC whereby these can be easily provided on request. I expect that might take a couple of weeks to sort out though as I'm out for 2 weeks from next Friday and Michelle Massey is also about to go on leave.

In the medium term we'll also look at whether we publish them without meeting accessibility requirements, how much work is involved in the accessibility aspects and how this could be resourced. Given the volume of documents I'm also not resourced to make documents accessible.

We can potentially publish and not be in breach of the Disability Act so long as we provide an alternative way for people to request them in another format (which might be a request going to your team, something I can't see will happen often/ if at all based on history). That will just take a bit longer to work through and if as you say we are compliant without publishing them then we'll deal with compliance first and foremost and other aspects as secondary.

Happy to chat further.

Amanda

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <[Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au](mailto:Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au)>  
**Sent:** Wednesday, February 28, 2024 9:50 AM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](mailto:Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au)>  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I hope your week is going well. I might pop up to chat about the material in the email below, as it relates to 1, possibly 2, matters carrying some sensitivity. But I might start with email given how difficult it can be for our calendars to match.

Our Branches both have responsibilities relating to the freedom of information disclosure log. Under the weight of FOI matters in the latter part of 2023, s47F did not keep the log up to date beyond last August – a matter that I did not become aware of until late December.

We are now in the process of clearing the backlog and have started submitting the forms for all outstanding FOI matters to be uploaded in accordance with our obligations under the FOI legislation. I acknowledge and accept that your web team may not be able to action these requests as quickly as they will come in for the next day, and am comfortable that your team will action the forms as and when they can (but hopefully in a reasonably prompt fashion). There are 2 issues related to this activity.

First, Jonathan and I met with Andreas last week at which we discussed the format of the disclosure log. There are several options that comply with the FOI legislation, principally:

1. Publishing the documents
2. Publishing links to the documents hosted on a CASA drive
3. Publishing the list of the documents and providing them on request.

I get the impression that Andreas is leaning towards the third option above. As I indicate above, this remains compliant with the legislation and in this regard I have no issue with that preference. I said at the meeting, consistent with Andreas's suggestion, that we will just keep sending the documents through. SED can then determine what to do with the documents as part of the process passing through the web team. Apologies if you've been briefed on all this already. Although I am comfortable with any of the options, LIRA (including Jonathan) would appreciate advice about what option, or potentially what combination of options, SED has landed on. Could you please let me know this when you can?

Secondly, some of the documents to be included in the log don't meet the accessibility requirements for web publishing. I understand that s47F has previously made the necessary adaptations for s47F but he has pushed back on this given the larger quantity of documents presently coming through. I do have someone helping me until COB today on this s47F has looked at the manual on the accessibility rules but cannot convert the manual instructions into an understanding of what s47 needs to do in practice, including from an IT technical perspective. Given that the expertise exists in your Branch, my preference would be for s47F (or one of s4 colleagues) to continue to undertake this task, even if it slows down the upload process. I suspect that we might not get this result easily without some influence from you, assuming of course you support the outcome. This obviously also depends on the outcome of the first issue above, insofar as there is no immediate need to prepare accessible documents if we are only publishing the list (option 3 above).

Please let me know when you've had a chance to consider the points above and we can have a chat.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul Hibberd (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
CASA Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

**IMPORTANT:**

This email may contain confidential or legally privileged information and may be protected by copyright. It remains the property of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and is meant only for use by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete all copies, together with any attachments.

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**To:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**Cc:** s47F ; [Freedom Of Information](#)  
**Subject:** RE: FOI Disclosure Log Request - s22  
**Date:** Friday, 12 April 2024 3:57:00 PM

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

Just following up on s47F email below, my understanding was that Andreas was OK for SED to take on the management of disclosure log requests, as part of the arrangement of not publishing all FOI documentation on the website. My understanding is that this would be handled through your Branch, but please let me know if that is not the case.

Kind regards

Paul

[Paul Hibberd](#) (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

---

s22

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**To:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**Cc:** s47F [Freedom Of Information](#)  
**Subject:** RE: FOI Disclosure Log Request - s22  
**Date:** Sunday, 14 April 2024 10:44:58 AM

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi s47 and Paul

I've asked the web team to get me a copy of the document and I'll send s22

Regards,  
 Amanda

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au>  
**Sent:** Friday, April 12, 2024 3:57 PM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au>  
**Cc:** s47F Freedom Of Information  
 <freedomofinformation@casa.gov.au>  
**Subject:** RE: FOI Disclosure Log Request - s22

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda


Just following up on s47F email below, my understanding was that Andreas was OK for SED to take on the management of disclosure log requests, as part of the arrangement of not publishing all FOI documentation on the website. My understanding is that this would be handled through your Branch, but please let me know if that is not the case.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)  
 Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

 CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging



Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**To:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Monday, 15 April 2024 3:06:00 PM  
**Attachments:** [image001.png](#)  
[image002.png](#)  
[image004.png](#)  
[image005.png](#)  
[image006.png](#)  
[image007.png](#)

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I'm just following up on the disclosure log task that we had late last week, that our officers have been completing today.

I understand that **s47F** may have come directly to **s47** asking for the relevant documents for the disclosure log release, which **s47** has provided. Since then, **s47F** has asked for access to the relevant FOI RMS file to be given to **s47F** and to you.

I was unsure what reason would underpin the need for that RMS access, noting that the privacy of FOI applications is an important part of the FOI scheme and that the FOI files are generally held tightly. If there was a reason to seek access to this particular file for a particular reason, then of course I am happy to consider that. I am less sure that including SED officers into the access arrangements for FOI files generally would be advisable.

Irrespective of those points, we had been operating under the assumption that SED would be able to manage disclosure log requests without further LIRA engagement. To be sure, we expected that it might take a couple of attempts before we had this running smoothly, but the intent of the arrangements proposed by Andreas was that LIRA would send the disclosure log documents to the web team, that the web team would create the required disclosure log file, and then would respond to disclosure log requests on the basis of the documents originally provided for any given disclosure log entry.

I'll confess that I have no visibility of how this was intended to be implemented at the back end (ie in your teams), and maybe that's where a disconnect has arisen. If, as a matter of practice, it is not practicable or efficient for these requests to be managed on a case by case basis, it may be preferable to publish all disclosure log documents from the start. This may be the case even if it takes some time until the full backlog of disclosure log documents has been published.

Anyway, very happy as always to discuss all of this, in the interests of settling an arrangement that is efficient and effective as possible.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)  
 Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

s22

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**To:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Monday, 15 April 2024 4:04:59 PM  
**Attachments:** [image009.png](#)  
[image011.png](#)  
[image012.png](#)  
[image013.png](#)  
[image014.png](#)  
[image015.png](#)

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Paul

I had had that discussion about documents with the section manager, s47F on leave this week and while s47F told me how they could get them, it seems that perhaps that wasn't sorted through with the web team. I was assured that when the page got updated, the web team included in the back end the ticket number for auditing purposes, which then meant they could give me that ticket number and I could chase back the document.

I went back to s47F and told s4 not to go to s47 and gave s4 more info on what s47F had told me in terms of the process, but it seems to have fallen down between s47F, which I will follow up with s47F when s4 is back from leave on. I also said to s47F if that didn't work for them to action the ticket then assign it to me and I'd leave them open in my queue forever as I don't care about SLAs and KPIs...

So short story is I agree that my team dropped the ball but not sure where the confusion has arisen from. All exacerbated by it being school holidays s47F which means it might take me time to figure it out.

I only need the RMS file if that's how the documents are given to the web team, which I don't have visibility of as it's all in a queue in the service desk portal I don't see.

Amanda

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au>  
**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 3:07 PM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au>  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I'm just following up on the disclosure log task that we had late last week, that our officers have been completing today.

I understand that s47F may have come directly to s47 asking for the relevant documents for the disclosure log release, which s47 has provided. Since then, s47F has asked for access to the relevant FOI RMS file to be given to s47F and to you.

I was unsure what reason would underpin the need for that RMS access, noting that the privacy of FOI applications is an important part of the FOI scheme and that the FOI files are generally held tightly. If there was a reason to seek access to this particular file for a particular reason, then of course I am happy to consider that. I am less sure that including SED officers into the access arrangements for FOI files generally would be advisable.

Irrespective of those points, we had been operating under the assumption that SED would be able to manage disclosure log requests without further LIRA engagement. To be sure, we expected that it might take a couple of attempts before we had this running smoothly, but the intent of the arrangements proposed by Andreas was that LIRA would send the disclosure log documents to the web team, that the web team would create the required disclosure log file, and then would respond to disclosure log requests on the basis of the documents originally

provided for any given disclosure log entry.

I'll confess that I have no visibility of how this was intended to be implemented at the back end (ie in your teams), and maybe that's where a disconnect has arisen. If, as a matter of practice, it is not practicable or efficient for these requests to be managed on a case by case basis, it may be preferable to publish all disclosure log documents from the start. This may be the case even if it takes some time until the full backlog of disclosure log documents has been published.

Anyway, very happy as always to discuss all of this, in the interests of settling an arrangement that is efficient and effective as possible.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

*CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging*

s22

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act



**From:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**To:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Monday, 15 April 2024 4:13:00 PM  
**Attachments:** [image002.png](#)  
[image004.png](#)  
[image005.png](#)  
[image006.png](#)  
[image007.png](#)  
[image008.png](#)

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda – all good. I'm happy just to leave it with you – no need for any follow up with me down the track. It might be months before we get another request...

Kind regards, and thanks as always,

Paul

[Paul Hibberd](#) (Mr, he/him/his)  
 Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F



CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

---

**From:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](mailto:Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au)>  
**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 4:05 PM  
**To:** Hibberd, Paul <[Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au](mailto:Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au)>  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Paul

I had had that discussion about documents with the section manager, s47F but s47 on leave this week and while s47F told me how they could get them, it seems that perhaps that wasn't sorted through with the web team. I was assured that when the page got updated, the web team included in the back end the ticket number for auditing purposes, which then meant they could give me that ticket number and I could chase back the document.

I went back to s47F and told s4 not to go to s47 and gave s4 more info on what s47F had told me in terms of the process, but it seems to have fallen down between s47F, which I will follow up with s47F when s47 is back from leave on. I also said to s47F if that didn't work for them to action the ticket then assign it to me and I'd leave them open in my queue forever as I don't care about SLAs and KPIs...

So short story is I agree that my team dropped the ball but not sure where the confusion has arisen from. All exacerbated by it being school holidays s47F ) which means it might take me time to figure it out.

I only need the RMS file if that's how the documents are given to the web team, which I don't have visibility of as it's all in a queue in the service desk portal I don't see!

Amanda

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <[Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au](mailto:Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au)>

**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 3:07 PM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](mailto:Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au)>  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I'm just following up on the disclosure log task that we had late last week, that our officers have been completing today.

I understand that s47F may have come directly to s47 asking for the relevant documents for the disclosure log release, which s47 has provided. Since then, s47F has asked for access to the relevant FOI RMS file to be given to s47F and to you.

I was unsure what reason would underpin the need for that RMS access, noting that the privacy of FOI applications is an important part of the FOI scheme and that the FOI files are generally held tightly. If there was a reason to seek access to this particular file for a particular reason, then of course I am happy to consider that. I am less sure that including SED officers into the access arrangements for FOI files generally would be advisable.

Irrespective of those points, we had been operating under the assumption that SED would be able to manage disclosure log requests without further LIRA engagement. To be sure, we expected that it might take a couple of attempts before we had this running smoothly, but the intent of the arrangements proposed by Andreas was that LIRA would send the disclosure log documents to the web team, that the web team would create the required disclosure log file, and then would respond to disclosure log requests on the basis of the documents originally provided for any given disclosure log entry.

I'll confess that I have no visibility of how this was intended to be implemented at the back end (ie in your teams), and maybe that's where a disconnect has arisen. If, as a matter of practice, it is not practicable or efficient for these requests to be managed on a case by case basis, it may be preferable to publish all disclosure log documents from the start. This may be the case even if it takes some time until the full backlog of disclosure log documents has been published.

Anyway, very happy as always to discuss all of this, in the interests of settling an arrangement that is efficient and effective as possible.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**To:** s47F  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Monday, 15 April 2024 4:14:00 PM  
**Attachments:** [image009.png](#)  
[image011.png](#)  
[image012.png](#)  
[image013.png](#)  
[image014.png](#)  
[image015.png](#)

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi s47

Amanda has replied. She acknowledges that this was an issue in her team and will try to fix it up. We'll be patient with her of course, but let me know if it happens again.

Thanks

Paul

[Paul Hibberd](#) (Mr, he/him/his)  
 Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul  
**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 3:58 PM  
**To:** s47F  
**Subject:** FW: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

FYI – email to Amanda.

[Paul Hibberd](#) (Mr, he/him/his)  
 Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting

s47F

**ary Affairs Division**

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul  
**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 3:07 PM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](mailto:Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au)>  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I'm just following up on the disclosure log task that we had late last week, that our officers have been completing today.

I understand that s47F may have come directly to s47 asking for the relevant documents for the disclosure log release, which s47F provided. Since then, s47F has asked for access to the relevant FOI RMS file to be given to s47F and to you.

I was unsure what reason would underpin the need for that RMS access, noting that the privacy of FOI applications is an important part of the FOI scheme and that the FOI files are generally held tightly. If there was a reason to seek access to this particular file for a particular reason, then of course I am happy to consider that. I am less sure that including SED officers into the access arrangements for FOI files generally would be advisable.

Irrespective of those points, we had been operating under the assumption that SED would be able to manage disclosure log requests without further LIRA engagement. To be sure, we expected that it might take a couple of attempts before we had this running smoothly, but the intent of the arrangements proposed by Andreas was that LIRA would send the disclosure log documents to the web team, that the web team would create the required disclosure log file, and then would respond to disclosure log requests on the basis of the documents originally provided for any given disclosure log entry.

I'll confess that I have no visibility of how this was intended to be implemented at the back end (ie in your teams), and maybe that's where a disconnect has arisen. If, as a matter of practice, it is not practicable or efficient for these requests to be managed on a case by case basis, it may be preferable to publish all disclosure log documents from the start. This may be the case even if it takes some time until the full backlog of disclosure log documents has been published.

Anyway, very happy as always to discuss all of this, in the interests of settling an arrangement that is efficient and effective as possible.

Kind regards

Paul

Paul Hibberd (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

s22

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act



**From:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**To:** [Hibberd, Paul](#)  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Monday, 15 April 2024 4:35:02 PM  
**Attachments:** [image002.png](#)  
[image004.png](#)  
[image005.png](#)  
[image006.png](#)  
[image007.png](#)  
[image008.png](#)

---

**OFFICIAL**

Thanks Paul – noted and I’ll iron out kinks here asap.

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au>  
**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 4:14 PM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au>  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda – all good. I’m happy just to leave it with you – no need for any follow up with me down the track. It might be months before we get another request...

Kind regards, and thanks as always,

Paul

[Paul Hibberd](#) (Mr, he/him/his)  
 Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA\Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

---

**From:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](#)>  
**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 4:05 PM  
**To:** Hibberd, Paul <[Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au](#)>  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Paul

I had had that discussion about documents with the section manager, s47F , but s47 on leave this week and while s47 d told me how they could get them, it seems that perhaps that wasn’t sorted through with the web team. I was assured that when the page got updated, the web team included in the back end the ticket number for auditing purposes, which then meant they could give me that ticket number and I could chase back the document.

I went back to s47F and told s4 not to go to s47 and gave s4 more info on what s47F had told me in terms of the process, but it seems to have fallen down between s47F which I will follow up with s47F when she is back from leave on. I also said to s47F if that didn’t work for them to action the ticket then assign it to me and I’d leave them open in my queue forever as I don’t care about SLAs and KPIs...

So short story is I agree that my team dropped the ball but not sure where the confusion has arisen from. All

exacerbated by it being school holidays (s47F  
time to figure it out.

) which means it might take me

I only need the RMS file if that's how the documents are given to the web team, which I don't have visibility of as it's all in a queue in the service desk portal I don't see!

Amanda

---

**From:** Hibberd, Paul <Paul.Hibberd@casa.gov.au>  
**Sent:** Monday, April 15, 2024 3:07 PM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au>  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

I'm just following up on the disclosure log task that we had late last week, that our officers have been completing today.

I understand that s47F may have come directly to s47F for the relevant documents for the disclosure log release, which s47F provided. Since then, s47F has asked for access to the relevant FOI RMS file to be given to s47F to you.

I was unsure what reason would underpin the need for that RMS access, noting that the privacy of FOI applications is an important part of the FOI scheme and that the FOI files are generally held tightly. If there was a reason to seek access to this particular file for a particular reason, then of course I am happy to consider that. I am less sure that including SED officers into the access arrangements for FOI files generally would be advisable.

Irrespective of those points, we had been operating under the assumption that SED would be able to manage disclosure log requests without further LIRA engagement. To be sure, we expected that it might take a couple of attempts before we had this running smoothly, but the intent of the arrangements proposed by Andreas was that LIRA would send the disclosure log documents to the web team, that the web team would create the required disclosure log file, and then would respond to disclosure log requests on the basis of the documents originally provided for any given disclosure log entry.

I'll confess that I have no visibility of how this was intended to be implemented at the back end (ie in your teams), and maybe that's where a disconnect has arisen. If, as a matter of practice, it is not practicable or efficient for these requests to be managed on a case by case basis, it may be preferable to publish all disclosure log documents from the start. This may be the case even if it takes some time until the full backlog of disclosure log documents has been published.

Anyway, very happy as always to discuss all of this, in the interests of settling an arrangement that is efficient and effective as possible.

Kind regards

Paul

**Paul Hibberd** (Mr, he/him/his)  
Branch Manager, Advisory & Drafting  
**CASA Legal, International & Regulatory Affairs Division**

s47F

CASA acknowledges the traditional custodians of Country throughout Australia and their continuing connection to land, sea and community. We pay our respects to them and their cultures and to their Elders both past, present and emerging

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**To:** [Marcelja, Andreas](#)  
**Cc:** s47F  
**Subject:** FOI disclosure log quick review [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Tuesday, 13 February 2024 2:07:22 PM  
**Attachments:** [FOI disclosure log quick review.docx](#)

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Andreas

Here's the quick review for your 4:30pm meeting.

Amanda

Released under Freedom of Information Act

Do link to PDFs	Don't link to PDFs
Infrastructure - <a href="https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/about-us/freedom-of-information/freedom-information-disclosure-log">https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/about-us/freedom-of-information/freedom-information-disclosure-log</a>	Airservices - <a href="https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/about-us/freedom-of-information/">https://www.airservicesaustralia.com/about-us/freedom-of-information/</a>
ACCC - <a href="https://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/freedom-of-information/freedom-of-information-disclosure-log">https://www.accc.gov.au/about-us/freedom-of-information/freedom-of-information-disclosure-log</a>	Services Australia - <a href="https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/freedom-information-disclosure-log?context=1">https://www.servicesaustralia.gov.au/freedom-information-disclosure-log?context=1</a>
Home Affairs - <a href="https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/access-and-accountability/freedom-of-information/disclosure-logs/2024">https://www.homeaffairs.gov.au/access-and-accountability/freedom-of-information/disclosure-logs/2024</a>	AMSA - <a href="https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/reporting-and-accountability/freedom-information-disclosures">https://www.amsa.gov.au/about/reporting-and-accountability/freedom-information-disclosures</a>
Defence - <a href="https://www.defence.gov.au/about/accessing-information/freedom-information-disclosure-log">https://www.defence.gov.au/about/accessing-information/freedom-information-disclosure-log</a>	
Agriculture - <a href="https://www.agriculture.gov.au/about/reporting/freedom-of-information/disclosure-log">https://www.agriculture.gov.au/about/reporting/freedom-of-information/disclosure-log</a>	
Reserve Bank - <a href="https://www.rba.gov.au/information/foi/disclosure-log/">https://www.rba.gov.au/information/foi/disclosure-log/</a>	
ATSB - <a href="https://www.atsb.gov.au/foi-disclosure-2023-24">https://www.atsb.gov.au/foi-disclosure-2023-24</a>	

Released under Freedom of Information Act

**From:** [Palmer, Amanda](#)  
**To:** s47F  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log quick review [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Thursday, 15 February 2024 5:04:13 PM

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hi s47F

Just a quick report back on the discussion re FOI log yesterday. It was agreed that we should/ would return to publishing just a list of the FOIs per the disclosure log, to get us back compliant, before they then go back to considering whether to attach the PDFs. The FOI Act requires them to be available, but that can be on request. Given resourcing pressures it was thought that getting it up to date was more of a priority than publishing the associated PDFs.

Not sure if the new FOI officer has started or whether someone else in LIRA will assist with this but I would expect to see a request come through in the next week or so.

Amanda

---

**From:** s47F  
**Sent:** Wednesday, February 14, 2024 8:00 AM  
**To:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](mailto:Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au)>  
**Subject:** RE: FOI disclosure log quick review [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Amanda

Previously s47F was responsible for updating this, but since s47F has left we have not received any updates.

Thank you.

s47F

---

**From:** Palmer, Amanda <[Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au](mailto:Amanda.Palmer@casa.gov.au)>  
**Sent:** Tuesday, February 13, 2024 4:39 PM  
**To:** s47F  
**Subject:** FW: FOI disclosure log quick review [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

For info only – discussions about whether we should publish PDFs on our log or not, Andreas asked me to do a quick review which I did. Might be actions that come out of it noting the disclosure log isn't being kept up to date as it should be (LIRA resourcing presumably).

---

**From:** Palmer, Amanda  
**Sent:** Tuesday, February 13, 2024 2:07 PM

**To:** Marcelja, Andreas <[Andreas.Marcelja@casa.gov.au](mailto:Andreas.Marcelja@casa.gov.au)>

**Cc:** s47F

**Subject:** FOI disclosure log quick review [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi Andreas

Here's the quick review for your 4:30pm meeting.

Amanda

**IMPORTANT:**

This email may contain confidential or legally privileged information and may be protected by copyright. It remains the property of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and is meant only for use by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete all copies, together with any attachments.

Released under Freedom of Information Act



**From:** s47F  
**To:** [Freedom Of Information](#)  
**Cc:** s47F  
**Subject:** RE: Inaccessible Excel documents asked to be published on CASA website [SEC=OFFICIAL]  
**Date:** Thursday, 25 January 2024 10:13:39 AM

---

**OFFICIAL**

Hello s47F

I've spoken with s47F and s4 suggested that we list the details and names of the files, then add a link to the FOI Contact Us form with a message like "If you require these Excel files, please contact us." Do you think that would work?

Cheers,  
s47F

---

**From:** Freedom Of Information <[freedomofinformation@casa.gov.au](mailto:freedomofinformation@casa.gov.au)>  
**Sent:** Tuesday, January 23, 2024 3:47 PM  
**To:** s47F Freedom Of Information  
<[freedomofinformation@casa.gov.au](mailto:freedomofinformation@casa.gov.au)>  
**Cc:** s47F  
**Subject:** RE: Inaccessible Excel documents asked to be published on CASA website [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hi s47F

I have tried, but I think there is too much information and the .pdfs become illegible. Are there any other solutions I can try?

s47F

---

**From:** s47F  
**Sent:** Tuesday, January 23, 2024 4:30 PM  
**To:** Freedom Of Information <[freedomofinformation@casa.gov.au](mailto:freedomofinformation@casa.gov.au)>  
**Cc:** s47F  
**Subject:** Inaccessible Excel documents asked to be published on CASA website [SEC=OFFICIAL]

**OFFICIAL**

Hello,

Before s47F left, s4 lodged a ticket with the CASA web team asking for the publication of a few Excel documents to the CASA website. These documents were not meeting the accessibility requirements we normally require for publication on the website; when asked, s47F responded that s47F been having difficulties making them accessible. Would it be possible for you to take these Excel documents and make them into PDFs?

Cheers,  
s47F

Web Publisher  
Communications

s47F **CASA\Stakeholder Engagement**

180 Ann Street, Brisbane QLD 4000

[www.casa.gov.au](http://www.casa.gov.au)

IMPORTANT:

This email may contain confidential or legally privileged information and may be protected by copyright. It remains the property of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority and is meant only for use by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error, please notify the sender immediately by reply email and delete all copies, together with any attachments.

Released under Freedom of Information Act

s47F 29/02 11:18 am

Hello s47 after chatting to my section manager today, I am beginning work publishing the details of the FOI requests but not the documents, since the page already contains details of how to contact your team to request them and they don't meet the accessibility requirements for publication to the website, and that way we're still meeting the requirements regarding publishing their details. I am told that this is the solution that my executive manager favours.

16