CASA meets the Press

Gentlemen and ladies,
In the hallowed halls of Cant-berra there is a word going round??
Maybe CAsA's worst nightmare is about descend on them.
The defection of Macfarlane to the nationals starts to make sense.
Minuscule is allegedly pulling the pin over Christmas (Hallelulya).
Our mate Barnaby is stepping into the chair and Macfarlane will become deputy.
Old Pumpkin head may have to refine his ear whispering techniques to stump
Barnaby. Aint over till the fat lady sings, hope springs eternal!!

Thorny, that robust rumour had escaped me, but sounds plausible and likely, considering old Ford Farlane's sudden 'deflection' for better words to the Nationals, at Truss's instigation and with Malcolm in the Middle's blessing. It would be an interesting move as Ford Farlane is reasonably measured but Barnacle Joy is an emotion charged loose cannon. I could definitely see him coming to blows with Skid'Mark and not tolerating any shit from him and his band of Witchdoctors and Tigers. And I don't think he will tolerate Pumpkin Heads pony pooh either.

However it is risqué in my view to have someone like Barnacle as DPM, Malcolm must be insane. Barnacle definitely has a few kangaroo's short in the top paddock and will be hard to manage at the DPM level. Maybe he will employ 'pistol' and 'boo' to guard his new office during parliamentary sitting days?

Either way it will be no loss to see the end of crustacean head. Interesting why he is bailing 12 months before the next election. Perhaps the heat is getting too much in the kitchen? Send him back to Joh country I say, and may his lesion covered scalp never be seen again! Although I can imagine him popping up at future Mary Poppins shows and sitting on the Board of some land developer somewhere around the country, somewhere near an airport near you!!
Warren, please let it be so, please please just f#ck off and don't bang the door behind you!

Is it time to change our sign-off to;

TICK TOCK Barnacle TICK TOCK

Oh! the good ship CASA. "She" is heading for the rocks and the Admiral jumps ship leaving the Captain in charge with orders not to alter course. It's times like these one needs a loose cannon to force the Captain to also jump and allow someone/ anyone, to save the day. In fact, a loose cannon, by nature, does "things" whereas the wheel has been lashed on the bridge ensuring a predictable out come. Doing nothing is not an option. Doing something is.

(12-04-2015, 03:54 PM)thorn bird Wrote:  Gentlemen and ladies,
In the hallowed halls of Cant-berra there is a word going round??
Maybe CAsA's worst nightmare is about descend on them.
The defection of Macfarlane to the nationals starts to make sense.
Minuscule is allegedly pulling the pin over Christmas (Hallelulya).
Our mate Barnaby is stepping into the chair and Macfarlane will become deputy.
Old Pumpkin head may have to refine his ear whispering techniques to stump
Barnaby. Aint over till the fat lady sings, hope springs eternal!!

I hadn't personally heard that rumour but I had deduced a similar theory given the Shenanigans of the past week by Truss in particular.

The DPM in the past week has been in the spotlight & more vocal - both in Parliament & the media - than at any other time in the last 6 months. It is like a weight has been lifted off his shoulders giving him an opportunity to work with a clear agenda on his legacy history, his epitaph if you like.

No where (IMO) is this observation more obvious than in the Truss valedictory speech on the final day of Parliament for the year. He even pays tribute to Murky and his wisdom on all things infrastructure, regional & transport Confused :
Quote:Mr TRUSS (Wide Bay—Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development) (12:39): It has been two years since I was able to present a valedictory speech on the last day of parliament. I was ill last year, so I begin with an expression of gratitude for a year of good health. I am pleased to make some remarks on this last day of parliamentary sittings. It is an opportunity to recognise and thank those who have supported me and other members of the parliament throughout the year.

The year 2015 has been a long and at times tumultuous one—a year of many highs and lows. We have seen a number of natural disasters, including bushfires, most recently in South Australia and Western Australia. There were cyclones, such as Cyclone Marcia, which hit parts of Queensland in February, and there has been the ongoing and heartbreaking effect of drought, which is continuing to plague many of our farmers and regional communities.

In January, Rosie Batty was announced as the Australian of the Year and has continued her courageous campaign against the national disgrace of domestic violence. Australia won the 2015 AFC Asian Cup, in January, defeating South Korea. In February, journalist Peter Greste was released from an Egyptian prison. In March, Australia claimed the 2015 Cricket World Cup and in August our amazing Australian netball team, the Diamonds, won the 2015 Netball World Cup. In November, Michelle Payne became the first female jockey to win the Melbourne Cup, taking the 2015 prize.

We said goodbye to a number of good friends, including former Prime Minister Malcolm Fraser, and the previous member for Canning, Don Randall. We have continued the search for flight MH370 in the waters off Western Australia. We have had two prime ministers. Let me acknowledge the cooperation, support and assistance that I have had with both of them. I pay tribute to the previous Prime Minister, Tony Abbott. I would like to thank him for his support and friendship. We will always cherish the relationship my wife, Lyn, and I have with Tony and Margie. They are good friends as well as colleagues.

We recognise the enormous contribution they have made to our country. Over the past month or two I have been pleased to work with Malcolm Turnbull. I am sure that the good working relationship we have been able to enjoy with the previous Prime Minister will continue with Malcolm and Lucy. I certainly look forward to continuing the successful and constructive partnership between the Prime Minister and the Liberals and the Nationals over the year ahead.

Perhaps most significantly, 2015 saw us commemorate the centenary of the Gallipoli campaign. I believe it is therefore fitting that in my list of thankyous I particularly recognise the brave men and women who continue to sacrifice their lives for our country.

Their bravery, professionalism and skill are a credit to them and a source of pride for all Australians. For many, deployment will mean that they are away from family and friends this Christmas, so I particularly want to recognise the many Australian families who are left behind as their loved ones serve overseas. We pray for their safety and we hope that they may have an opportunity to enjoy a Christmas respite.

Deputy Speaker Kelly, I would like to convey my thanks to you and to the entire Speaker's panel. Thank you for all the work that you and your staff do in managing the parliament and in making sure that the parliamentary process works well. In the same vein, I also thank the member for Mackellar for her service as Speaker for the first part of the year.

Furthermore, I would like to make special mention of the Deputy Speaker, my good friend and neighbour, the member for Maranoa, for his service to the parliament. The member for Maranoa will retire at the next election. He will not only be missed by his electorate but by the National Party room, and also, I am sure, for his work as Deputy Speaker. It is a position in which he served with great pride and also with integrity, dignity and devotion to duty.

I would like to express my gratitude for the services of the Clerk and the clerical team, including the attendants and the Serjeant-at-Arms. We certainly appreciate the role of the whole team and the way they serve the House, provide us with advice and help to ensure that the committees of the parliament work well. That is becoming an increasingly heavy load, and it is important that the committees, when asked to look at matters of particular significance, have the capabilities to present a quality and well-argued report to further the debate on key policy issues. I particularly appreciate their courteous attention, their patient advice and the cheerful way in which they go about their duties. We also particularly appreciate the work of the parliamentary attendants, who are always alert to assist members, whenever that might be required.

The Hansard staff, the 2020 staff, COMCAR drivers, Tim and the catering staff, and those in FCm Travel Solutions all deserve our utmost appreciation. Thank you for your hard work, often in difficult circumstances; it is greatly valued. To some of the unsung heroes of the building, the Limro cleaning staff, Maria, Lucia and Anne—who have, I guess, been serving, particularly in the ministerial wing, now for several generations of ministers—thank you very much for your service. We appreciate very much the work that you do.

To my colleagues on each side of the chamber: next year is another election year, which often means extra stress and spending more time away from families as we campaign. I hope you are all able to enjoy some relaxing and restful time with loved ones over this Christmas period. I particularly want to acknowledge my National Party colleagues and my deputy leader, Barnaby Joyce. As usual, Barnaby has been unwavering in his support, despite having to deal with two nuisance dogs through the year. I would back Barnaby in a fight with Mr Depp any day—and, for that matter, with almost anyone else. To the National Party leaders in the Senate, Nigel Scullion and Fiona Nash: thank you both for all your work and assistance over the past year. To our party whips—Mark Coulton, Senator Matt Canavan and Senator Barry O'Sullivan—and their staff: thank you for continuing to organise the affairs of the party for us. To the rest of my party colleagues: we are a team and I am proud of the way that we work together to achieve some amazing things for our electorates, for our country and, in particular, for those living in rural and regional Australia, who will always be the focus of the National Party's care and attention. I look forward to continuing this trend and this cooperation in the year ahead.

I would also like to acknowledge the role that my department plays in putting together the business agenda and helping to deliver on our policy platform. In particular, I acknowledge my departmental secretary, Mike Mrdak, who has been at the head of the department for a very long period of time and who provides so much leadership, guidance and corporate knowledge about transport and regional affairs, ensuring the smooth running and administration of the government's policy programs.

I thank Minister Fletcher and Assistant Minister McCormack for the work they have done across the portfolio in the past couple of months since coming into our team. I particularly also want to acknowledge my previous assistant minister, Mr Briggs, for his work. I acknowledge my ministerial colleagues and cabinet ministers and thank them all for their tireless and often difficult work in serving our country. I think we have an exceptionally talented cabinet—a cabinet that is capable of deliberating on the most difficult of issues in a constructive way, while being innovative but also realistic in what it is able to achieve.

We have to face difficult times. There are challenges economically; there are challenges on the security front; there are challenges in delivering the quality of life and the care for disadvantaged people in our own country that are key priorities and essential responsibilities of government. Those tasks are difficult now, and I fear they are going to get more difficult in the future. So we need to be attracting people into this parliament with the capabilities and skills to deal with those issues and with the capacity to make decisions—good decisions—that are in the interests of our nation.

I also acknowledge the opposition spokesman, Anthony Albanese. He is right when he says that we work reasonably well together. We do not always agree, but he has been supportive in projects like the Western Sydney airport and many of the construction projects. We were not able to reach agreement on shipping reform—that is some space for next year where clearly something has to be done; otherwise the scope of our domestic shipping industry will continue to slide.

The reality is that the big projects that governments are taking on these days invariably cross governments and cross jurisdictions. I acknowledge that some of the projects that this government is building were ideas that we shared with the Labor Party when they were last in office. Some projects which were under construction were finished by this government, just as projects that this government starts will be finished by a future government. An example is the Western Sydney airport. I would love to be minister for transport when the first plane lands in 2025. That would be a wonderful objective, but I suspect that is not going to happen and, once more, I suspect the minister of the day will take the credit for the whole of the construction of Western Sydney airport and my role in getting it to this stage will probably have been well and truly forgotten. That is the nature of the processes of government.

I am very proud of some of the huge infrastructure projects we have in this country at the present time. The fact that, by the end of this decade, we will, for the first time as a nation, have a four-lane highway connecting our three east coast capital cities is, I think, an important national achievement. Perhaps five or seven years later we will have a direct railway line connecting Melbourne and Brisbane. We will be upgrading and flood-proofing the Bruce Highway. Work is being done in Perth and in northern Western Australia to better connect the roads and the regional communities in the west. These sorts of projects are nation building; they do genuinely make a difference to the efficiency of our country and our capabilities to deliver better opportunities for our people.

Finally, I would like to thank the people of our country, Australians who daily entrust us with the great responsibility of managing our nation as parliamentarians. I hope the coalition will continue to be a government that pursues its agenda, that keeps its promises and that continues to deliver a positive plan for the future. I have said many times in this place that when our regions are strong, so is our nation. As Leader of the Nationals, I will continue to resolutely ensure that our regions are not forgotten in decisions that are made for the future of our country.

In this regard also, I acknowledge my own staff: David Whitrow, Chief of Staff, and the whole team, including my electorate staff, many of whom have been with me for a very long time—in one case, since I first was elected to parliament. Those people help make sure that we are able to achieve the objectives that are set out, arrange the affairs of the day and manage the administration and delivery of government policy and our agenda.
Especially, can I acknowledge my wife, Lyn, who works so hard to help me keep me going. I love her very dearly and greatly appreciate everything that she does for me and, of course, the party.

Christmas is a very special time of the year that presents an opportunity to put aside other commitments and spend time with family and friends. However we celebrate with families, friends and loved ones, it is important to remember, in the true spirit of Christmas, the people in our communities who are less fortunate: the homeless, the jobless, the sick and those people who are spending Christmas alone. The celebrations and the symbols that accompany Christmas remind us of the joyous reason for our festivity—the birth of Jesus Christ, who brought salvation and the message of peace and goodwill to us all. I hope that you all have a safe and happy Christmas break, and please stay safe on the roads if you are travelling over the holidays.

There is one thing I should say as transport minister before I conclude these remarks. With my authority in charge of air safety regulation, I have issued an instruction that air traffic controllers are to give priority to reindeer on 24 December to make sure that they get priority access to all of the airports in Australia. I am going to do something else very brave politically: I am going to suspend all curfews at airports so that the reindeer can operate all through the night on Christmas Eve!

Last hoorah perhaps?? Hmm...maybe but IMO the MacFarlane defection is significant & also gels with the rumours of snap elections in the New Year and Malcolm in the middle carrying a 100+ seats to the next Parliament... Big Grin

Ps cranky didn't say margin I said seats..cheers

MTF...P2 Tongue   

I'm not sure about a 100 seat margin. Watch the North Sydney by-election today. Abbott was deposed because the WA seat was said to be in danger with a 10% swing away prophesized. Yet they kept that seat comfortably in spite of Abbott or Turnbull. Odds on North Sydney are for a much greater swing away from the incumbents. A lot of people have said they won't vote Liberal while Turnbull is at the helm. Rewarding treachery is not in their nature. Dick Smith's party, has a real chance at this election and may be the first sign of what fortunes lie ahead for Turnbull and Co.

Candidates in ballot paper order:

POLLARD Lou, The Arts Party
BOURKE William, Sustainable Population Party
KENNARD Sam, Liberal Democrats
BROMSON Kerry Susanne, Voluntary Euthanasia Party
JANSSON James, Future Party
CHESTERFIELD-EVANS Arthur, The Greens
BEREGI Maryann, Independent
NERO Silvana, Christian Democratic Party (Fred Nile Group)
MARKS Robert James, Palmer United Party
ZIMMERMAN Trent, Liberal
RUFF Stephen, Independent
FREEMAN Luke, Australian Cyclists Party
BOHM Tim, Bullet Train For Australia

Thanks for that speech Miniscule, it was just what I needed for the garden - an additional tonne of manure!

At long last a word from Boyd - Wink

Well this is refreshing, courtesy Oz Aviation:

Quote:CASA chairman proposes new funding model

December 7, 2015 by Jordan Chong
[Image: CASAlogo750x420.jpg]

Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) chairman Jeff Boyd has suggested a new funding model that includes international operators would be a more equitable way of funding the organisation.

Currently, CASA receives the bulk of its funding from a fuel excise on domestic flights. International flights are not subject to the fuel excise.

With the downturn in the mining industry affecting demand for charter and fly-in/fly-out services, coupled with a lack of capacity growth among Australia’s regular public transport (RPT) operators due to a sluggish economy, CASA’s income fell $3.1 million in 2014/15, according to the organisation’s annual report.

Overall, CASA suffered an operating deficit of $5.5 million in the 12 months to June 30, 2015, a decline from the operating deficit of $4.2 million in the prior year. The nation’s aviation safety regulator is budgeting for an operating deficit of $10 million in the current financial year.

Boyd says the organisation needs to find different ways of funding itself and raised the prospect of changing the fuel excise and including international flights into the mix.

“One thing we would like to see is the internationals contribute something to the running of CASA. Anyone operating an international flight, there is not one cent of fuel tax on that international fuel,” Boyd told guests at a charity lunch hosted by consulting group AvLaw in Sydney on Friday.

“One of the suggestions we would have is some form of a levy that everyone pays. It could be as little as 20 cents or 25 cents, but if that is across the board – every person coming or going on every flight whether it be domestic or international in Australia – we could remove the fuel levy altogether.

“I think that is a far more equitable way of funding the organisation. I just have to convince the Minister and might need a bit of help from industry for that too.”
[Image: Jeffrey_Boyd-225x300.jpg]
CASA chairman Jeff Boyd. (CASA)

Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development appointed Boyd to the CASA board as deputy chairman in in July 2014, before naming him chairman in July 2015.

Boyd, who founded Brindabella Airlines and was also previously chairman of the Regional Aviation Association of Australia (RAAA), acknowledged the implementation of CASA’s Part 61 licensing regulations has been a “debacle”.

The nation’s aviation safety regulator has formed a full-time taskforce to resolve issues raised by Part 61, which covers pilot ratings, licences and endorsements, as well as a number of other licensing regulations. An advisory panel comprising members of key industry groups has also been set up to address unintended consequences in the licensing suite.

Boyd said the Part 61 regulations were written up without adequate communication from industry and he lobbied against their introduction before he joined the CASA board.

“I was very much involved in it not being brought out when I was on the industry side,” Boyd said.

“We knew Part 61 was never going to work. It got put in a drawer for 12 months and instead of being reworked and rejigged unfortunately the very last day that our previous CEO was in the organisation he promulgated Part 61 as it was 12 months previously.

“The results have been horrendous for the organisation and for industry. It’s a debacle.”

CASA director of aviation safety Mark Skidmore said in October the taskforce and advisory panel would work “intensively” to address unintended consequences in the licensing suite.

“CASA has already addressed many concerns that have been identified in the new licensing regulations but I understand more needs to be done,” Skidmore said in a statement.

“This is a priority and that’s why I need a dedicated team of people within CASA working full-time on the issues.”

The rewriting of CASA’s licensing suite is just one aspect of the reforms currently underway at the organisation.

In November, CASA also unveiled a corporate restructure that sought to improve service delivery and operational efficiency. Boyd said the new-look organisation would reduce the number of executive managers from 10 to five and save $5.2 million in management salaries.

“I think we are well on our way to a new, invigorated organisation,” Boyd said.

“I want to see a combination of injection of some new blood into the the organisation, new skill, but I also want to see the people that are keen and want to stay there and want to achieve, I want to see them flourish.”

The restructure was part of CASA’s response to the Aviation Safety Regulatory Review and was expected to be completed by the end of the 2015/16 financial year.

While Australia’s peak aviation groups have previously expressed concern with the slow pace of change at CASA, Boyd said everyone at the organisation was moving as quickly as possible to complete the reforms necessary to better serve the aviation community.

“I know we are copping flack at the moment because we are not implementing things fast enough in this ASRR report,” Boyd said.

“No one more than me would like to see things happen quicker than it is but it is happening.”

“We are working our way through. The ASRR report is my road map of how we are going to make CASA a better organisation.”
 So glad to see he hasn't chucked in the towel... Big Grin

MTF..P2 Tongue

Boyd the believable.

Quote:P2 - “So glad to see he hasn't chucked in the towel.”

Me too, mind you Boyd doesn’t seem to the towel chucking type.  But I wonder how many times he ran the whole gamut of frustration, fury, hair tearing; how many times sat on an aircraft, coming home wondering WTF do I have to do here; or how many quiet beers chased down unsettling thoughts.  

Boyd is one of the very few things the minister got right.  The load willingly carried by the right man; Bravo Jeff, well done.  Lets see, there was a political minefield to get through, a mountain of old, festering skeletons to climb, the total disengagement of industry to combat and internal ructions so moderate; and, it’s not as though he is dealing with honest folk.  One of the very quiet ‘wins’ is it seems as though the ‘white hats’ are emerging from under the malign influence of the McComic hand picked crew, encouraged and perhaps seeing the same dim, distant light industry can see.  It ain’t a beacon of hope just yet, but there is a distinct glimmer.

Part 61 and this week's tiger team are just the tip of a very ugly iceberg, the construct for resolution is wrong, it should not take a full time, 28 ‘man’ team to rectify.  It gives you an idea of just how very bad Part 61 is; and, how little understanding of it Skidmore has, when you see the incredible waste of time effort and money.  A small team of perhaps five, maybe six, who actually understand why 61 is a total duck up, working in concert could resolve the problems in less than a quarter year.  The philosophy of the regulation is grossly flawed – the construct amateurish, much like a first attempt at drafting an operations manual.  We have all seen them, detailed instruction reflecting ‘how I do it' rather than concise definition of how to do things within the boundaries of law, the tenets of good operation and restrictions of safe operational management.  I digress, but you can see the problems Boyd and his fellow board members must deal with; this without the ‘mystique’, politics and fear mongering from within.  

If Boyd and his board can create the right atmosphere, some of the best and brightest industry has would be prepared to weigh in and help, a fully functioning, trustworthy, dependable regulator.  There will always be a natural tension between those regulated and those regulating – it’s natural and healthy – desirable when it benefits all.

We are a long way from Nirvana, but Boyd at least is believable, no rhetoric, no spin, no ducking tiger teams; just plain, old fashioned common sense and truth.  Most refreshing.

Thank you Jeff and the board for providing some of the best news these tired ears have heard in a long while.  Hell it’s even believable, mark you, if the 'leader of tiger teams' had said it, I'd be calling Bollocks by now, how very nice not to have to.   Bravo that man, well done the board.

Selah.

I have some thoughts about all of this, however I don't want to overrun a positive with a negative and will refrain.

However, can you imagine if Chairman Boyd answered to Junior Minister for Aviation Mr David Fawcett, who were both collaboratively working along with DAS/CEO Mr Mike Smith? Oh my, happy days indeed!!

You’re right GD – on all counts; but, given the battle Boyd and crew must have fought to get this far and to perhaps create a situation where someone like Carmody or Smith could actually get some clear air to operate in is no mean achievement.  Boyd has never, ever looked like reneging on commitment to the Forsyth review; this alone sets him and his board apart.  Hardly the night of the long knives – but one small step forward gained is momentum, with industry supporting Boyd and the board – there is a faint (one candle power) chance of true reform.  FWIW, well done to the board and to Jeff for not wavering and honouring the promises made .

Now, ff we could only get Oliver Twist to sing from the same hymn sheet and off his beam ends then, with some educated help, we could see some positives emerge from the blood and shit which must be strewn about the boardroom floor.

It's quite amusing. Carmody was always going to be a better choice than Herr Skull, but got pipped at the finish line. Mike Smith would've been an even better pick than Carmody for Herr Skulls role, but he didn't even get a look in.
Moving on from Herr Skull to Skid'Marks appointment. We had the name Mike Smith mentioned in a very favourable light this time, he came close but got pipped at the finish line by Skid'Mark.
So each time a potential reformer rates a mention (Carmody and Smith) they get beaten by a complete twat. Pretty obvious that the Government doesn't want reform, transparency or an industry that fosters employment and financial benefits for the economy.

So who knows, maybe change is in the wind?

Quote:So each time a potential reformer rates a mention (Carmody and Smith) they get beaten by a complete twat. Pretty obvious that the Government doesn't want reform, transparency or an industry that fosters employment and financial benefits for the economy.

My dear gobbles, the Guvmint wouldn't have the slightest idea what they want!!, except perhaps to retain their seat.
Murky Mandarins on the other hand know exactly what they want, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow and they are prepared to do almost anything to get it.

Thorny said;

"Murky Mandarins on the other hand know exactly what they want, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow"

Thorny Thorny Thorny. This is 2015 good sir, times have changed. It is now 'the pot of gold at the end of the runway'.
Beautiful fat pots of gold sit limitlessly at the end of the airport runways awaiting those who dare to venture down the well trodden 'favourable land developer/crooked politician cum bureaucrat road'!

Aviation industry, what aviation industry?

GD, just for you. - Every once in a while – Larry Pickering – publishes a small gem.  Today was such an occasion – HERE.  Worth a couple of moments.... Smile

Is George Orwell a prophet? One has to ask the question. Just a handful of years before Australia's epic and continuing regulatory reform program commenced Orwell said this;

"Life in Oceania is a world of perpetual war, omnipresent surveillance, thought control, and public manipulation. An elite and privileged Inner Party governs the superstate through merciless persecution of individualism and independent thinking or "thoughtcrime". The leader of the Inner Party is Big Brother, a personified entity with no physical presence. Four omnipresent Ministries are the instruments that control all aspects of life in Oceania"

Surely he was prophesying the arrival of Pumpkin Head? Orwell was describing DOIT and Pumpkin Head succinctly! How could he have known? Magic? Voodoo? Premonition, done a deal with the Devil? It is an amazingly accurate description of Murky's empire.

Yours truly (and coincidentally)

P_666

(12-09-2015, 04:04 AM)Gobbledock Wrote:  Thorny said;

"Murky Mandarins on the other hand know exactly what they want, the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow"

Thorny Thorny Thorny. This is 2015 good sir, times have changed. It is now 'the pot of gold at the end of the runway'.
Beautiful fat pots of gold sit limitlessly at the end of the airport runways awaiting those who dare to venture down the well trodden 'favourable land developer/crooked politician cum bureaucrat road'!

Aviation industry, what aviation industry?

The underlying cause of our problem here is the acceptance by all Australians of the political control of land use, a system euphemistically known as 'town planning'. All Aussies except for a tiny minority who decided not to go with the herd when your land rights were severely curtailed in the 60s and 70s. To put it bluntly if you support this failed system of anti free enterprise then you are part of the problem. Check out the prosperity of no zoning Houston or ourselves pre 'planning' to see what I mean. Sorry, but not very.

Quote:P2 – “Anyway Hitch followed up his Oz Flying meta-data article - see HERE - with this insightful comment:

Quote:Quote:..It seems to me the whole kerfuffle about CASA accessing mobile phone data could have been avoided if some people (CASA and me included) had just done some checking. Whilst some sectors of the aviation community were reaching for their pitchforks and flaming torches, CASA had actually been excluded from access to that information back in April. Somewhere along the line, the system worked and no-one noticed. When you're in the process of building good relationships and trust, it's not a good idea to be accessing people's personal data, even if the content isn't disclosed...

Good one Hitch, my turn to dole out the CF.  Seems everyone missed the ‘facts’ and thank you for setting it all to rights, but it does highlight the general distrust of CASA.  Good news is always welcome, as are you articles.

Cheers P7.... Smile

Here we go again  Dodgy  - Off the Yaffa - 21 December 2015

[Image: C206_TDN_5DBAA460-1F91-11E5-A21D06EE95C51C2D.jpg]
Older Cessna 200 series such as these C206s have been subject of a Supplemental Inspection Document to ensure ongoing airworthiness. (Steve Hitchen)
Quote:Cessna SID Deadline extended for some Aircraft
21 Dec 2015

CASA has extended the deadline for aircraft owners to complete the supplemental inspection document (SID) program for some Cessnas.

The original date for compliance of 31 December 2015 has been moved out three months to 31 March 2016 for Cessna 100 series used in charter and aerial work, and Cessna 200 series used in private operations.

CASA has not extended the 30 June 2016 deadline for private Cessna 100 series.

CASA says it extended the deadline because of a backlog of inspection work, particularly in remote areas where access to specialist engineers is restricted.

Cessna and the United States Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) developed the SIDs inspections because of concerns about  potential corrosion and fatigue damage to principal structural elements of older aircraft.

The SIDs program, which complements existing scheduled maintenance, requires additional detailed inspections of a range of structural components including wing spars, attachment points, strut attachments as well as horizontal and vertical stabiliser attachment points.

About 3600 Cessna aircraft in Australia are covered by the SIDs program.

This was the presser on this released yesterday:

Quote:More time for some cessna SIDs

The Civil Aviation Safety Authority has provided an extension to the deadline for the completion of Cessna Supplemental Inspection Documents - or SIDs - on two groups of aircraft.

The extension applies to Cessna 100 series aircraft used in charter and aerial work and Cessna 200 series aircraft used in private operations.

SIDs compliance dates for both these operational categories have been extended by three months to 31 March 2016.

Originally the CASA compliance date was 31 December 2015.

The extension recognises the growing backlog of aircraft awaiting SIDs inspections at maintenance and repair organisations, particularly in rural regions where access to specialist technical staff is restricted.

This additional period also allows for reduced activity at CASA and in the aviation community associated with the Christmas holiday season.

The deadline for the completion of private category Cessna 100 series aircraft remains 30 June 2016.

SIDs inspections were developed jointly by Cessna and the United States Federal Aviation Administration due to concerns relating to potential corrosion and fatigue damage to principal structural elements of the aircraft.

In many cases these components, which are critical to the airworthiness of the aircraft, have not been inspected since the aircraft was manufactured many decades ago.

The SIDs program, which complements existing scheduled maintenance, requires the additional detailed inspection of a range of critical structures including wing spars, wing attachment points, wing struts attachments as well as horizontal and vertical stabiliser attachment points.

About 3,600 Cessna aircraft in Australia are covered by the SIDs program.

Media contact:
Peter Gibson
0419 296 446
peter.gibson@casa.gov.au
Ref: MR13815

This was Sandy's disgusted response to the above part in bold  Dodgy :

Quote:To all as addressed,

What a disgrace, this statement para #2 below, has no basis in fact and casts all our LAMES as dunces who would allow basic structural components to go unnoticed. The thrust of this communique is dishonest.

Where is the evidence for such an outrageous claim by CASA? The same dysfunctional body that has to ask the GA industry to help it patch up its unworkable rules that have taken more than twenty five years to develop...and still not finished!

No mention that these inspections are not mandatory for private operations in the USA where they were devised. A whole industry in crisis, thousands of employed people whose livelihood is threatened, all we get is talk and the odd bandaid.

Sandy

***See Paragraph #2 of the latest CASA briefing quote in part as follows:-

"SIDs inspections were developed jointly by Cessna and the United States Federal Aviation Administration due to concerns relating to potential corrosion and fatigue damage to principal structural elements of the aircraft.

***In many cases these components, which are critical to the airworthiness of the aircraft, have not been inspected since the aircraft was manufactured many decades ago.***

The SIDs program, which complements existing scheduled maintenance, requires the additional detailed inspection of a range of critical structures including wing spars, wing attachment points, wing struts attachments as well as horizontal and vertical stabiliser attachment points.

About 3,600 Cessna aircraft in Australia are covered by the SIDs program."
Again Leopard & spots comes to mind, the bureaucratic reform obfuscation will continue loud & clear. It would appear that even Mrdak the Murky Mandarin himself has thumbed his nose at ensuring CASA reform by blocking any possible amendment to the archaic CAA Act, see here - Drowning – not waving.

Quote:There’s a very strong rumour floating about the place that Ken has been informed by ‘those who would know’ that there is not a cat in hells chance of the Act being changed.  Just isn’t going to happen.  This due the minister ignoring all calls for reform and taking the advice which best suits the powers that be.

KC suggests - HERE - that..

"..Every participant in the aviation industry should, whenever they feel disenchanted with any current requirement, or proposed requirement, let the CASA Board know.."

Well this (courtesy of Sandy) is something for Jeff Boyd & the Board to chew on over the Xmas & New Year hols... Confused

MTF..P2  Tongue

Jeff Boyd and the Board are mentioned but unfortunately the Board is nowhere to be seen. Take for example the following quite from Mr. Skidmore's latest missive:-

"I have begun the process of renewing CASA through a major change program which will deliver more effective safety regulation and better regulatory services for all sectors of the Australian aviation community".

The Board of CASA has not communicated to the aviation community that it is in control of CASA.

From this one could be forgiven for deducing that Mr. Skidmore acts alone, not needing approval from anyone. It is looking like the Board has failed to assert it's responsibility to oversee the reforms that have been approved by government. This is an opportunity foregone. Had the Board been properly in control we could have expected some real reforms in place by now. On the face of it the new Board is qualified but without motivation and will power it might as well resign and save the taxpayer a few hundred thousand dollars.

Patches and platitudes on the surface, but situation normal in CASA, 830 @ average $139,000. Wonder if that figure includes the Board? Meanwhile General Aviation is sinking rapidly. Makes my blood boil.

Quote:Sandy – “Jeff Boyd and the Board are mentioned but unfortunately the Board is nowhere to be seen.”

That’s the dark horse ain’t it though.  Boyd & Co have a mile of politics to beat down, a serious case of not so passive resistance to overcome, all that before they can even get positioned to confront the recalcitrant ego’s and the DoIT counteroffensive.   In short, the board need to get enough room to swing a cat.  Clearly Skidmore has been captured – if he was ever loose – and there’s serious money bet on him always being ‘the chosen one’; the track record to date fully supporting that investment.  

BUT, it would, IMO, be unwise to write off Boyd & Co just yet.  With every silly decision, denial and back stairs plot, the IR show more of their hand and strategy.  It comes down how quickly and willingly the board learns how to play dirty; how much stamina and how determined the board is to bring in real change, starting with a decent deputy (a battle royal not yet lost) and a new DAS.  

The politics are horrendous, the resistance entrenched and well practiced.  Skidmore has covered some of the avenues for criticism; but not all.  There are vulnerable areas within in the walls, Chambers, Weeks, Campbell and a few others are weak spots.  The board could, with a little assistance, collapse those weak spots and begin the much needed cleanout.  The grounds are there; just needs a little exposure, words in the right ears, a little political clout and the middle level support structure could be taken out of the game, as none could withstand impartial scrutiny.  It’s getting into a position where the soft middle layers can be collapsed. It's making the whole thing implode that both creates and resolves the problems for Boyd.  

Internal, individual investigations into actions taken and complaints made could see the whole pack off and a new start made in short order; it’s the nerve, willpower and guts to do it which are needed - now.  The external walls have proven bomb resistant – it’s now a Sappers job to undermine the edifice and collapse it – from the inside out.  

Aye; It’s all balanced on a razors edge and the Boyd determination; he may yet fail, but I won’t be writing either him or his board off, not just yet a while.

Toot toot.