Things that go bump in the night,

(11-17-2016, 07:27 PM)Peetwo Wrote:   FER-balls & ADS-Bollocks - Dodgy

Supp QON cont/-

Quote:18.

Corporate Services Division

Sterle

Functional and Efficiency Review
At the previous Estimates in May the Secretary outlined some of the recommendations of the Functional & Efficiency Review conducted into the Department by KPMG:

Can you update on what has happened with that review since May?

Are you able to indicate if Cabinet has concluded its consideration of the report?

Have any of the 18 recommendations referred to last time been accepted by Government?

If yes,

which ones?

do any recommend outsourcing of existing Departmental functions? Details?

do any recommend insourcing of existing outsourced functions?

What has happened with the Airservices recommendations?

Are there any recommendations that relate to the Australian Rail Track Corporation?

If yes, do any relate to changed ownership structures? Details?

Are there any recommendations that relate to Infrastructure Australia?

If yes, does that relate to the governance structure of IA?

What other recommendations are there?

What is the expected timeframe around decisions by Government from this review?

&.. CASA QON 143-145 - ADS-B:
Quote:Senator XENOPHON: I am. I am very close. Can I just say that if aircraft fly below cloud cover, visually—if aircraft do not have ADS-B, they have to fly visually—correct?

Mr Carmody: Yes, they have to fly visually. That is correct.

Senator XENOPHON: The point that Dick Smith has made to me just again today is that that poses a risk to pilots. There has never been a case of a mid-air collision in this country involving aircraft in clouds—is that right?

Mr Carmody: I did see a quote to that effect. I assume it is correct; I have heard that.

Senator XENOPHON: He has expressed a concern previously and again today that requiring pilots who cannot afford to install ADS-B to fly visually below clouds itself is problematic from a safety point of view. Is that something you have assessed?

Mr Carmody: Not to my knowledge. I can take that on notice and see whether we have. I do not know the answer to that, I am sorry.

Senator XENOPHON: My final question is a follow-up. The base of your assertion is that it might be more expensive in a few years time, and that did not work for flat screen TVs or other technology.

Mr Carmody: Different technology. But that is just an assertion in the same way as it is an assertion that it will get cheaper, if I may, by AOPA.

Senator XENOPHON: And that generally happens with new technology?
Mr Carmody: It might.

Senator XENOPHON: Could you get back to me on that. Thank you, Chair, for your patience.

NX Written - 28/10/16: What empirical or other data does CASA have to ground the claim that that ADS-B prices will go up as a function of time? Please table this data.

ASA QON 159 - ADS-B:
Quote:Senator XENOPHON: How many general aviation aircraft have complied with the ADS-B to date?

Mr Harfield: I cannot tell you exactly. What I can give you is the statistic that for all IFR flights 87 per cent have been equipped and, for those that are operating below 10,000 feet, 60 per cent or 6 out of 10 aircraft have already equipped. VFR aircraft do not have to comply with the mandate—380 of those have actually self-equipped because of the benefits associated with it. As we approach the mandate, we have talked to the 70 top GA fleet that have not equipped and by that stage we are expecting to have 92 per cent equipped. Out of 931 airframes that are yet to equipped with ADS-B 50 per cent of those airframes do less than two IFR flights per month. If the 200 most active of those equip we will have 99 per cent of all flights ADS-B equipped by February.

Senator XENOPHON: That does not take into account all of the GA IFR aircraft at all, does it?

Mr Harfield: No, it is not saying that is all of them. I am saying they are the statistics that include GA IFR aircraft.

Senator XENOPHON: We do not know at this stage what percentage of GA aircraft have got ADS-B?

Mr Harfield: We do. I can provide that to you.

(11-17-2016, 10:57 PM)Gobbledock Wrote:  Of making DAS's great again?

He of large ears said;

"Senator XENOPHON: He has expressed a concern previously and again today that requiring pilots who cannot afford to install ADS-B to fly visually below clouds itself is problematic from a safety point of view. Is that something you have assessed?
Mr Carmody: Not to my knowledge. I can take that on notice and see whether we have. I do not know the answer to that, I am sorry".

Ok, slow it down a fraction folks. Did the DAS just say 'he doesn't know'? He needs to 'take it on notice'? What exactly then does a DAS do? Ok, so I understand he wouldn't be across everything in the organisation, you know - have the pot plants in Sydney been watered, who is the person not securing their bicycle compliantly in the bike cage at The Circuit, what is the S.O.P is for emptying the dishwasher in the lunch room in Townsville....you know, that sort of crap.

But to not be fully across the process or potential risks outlined by Sen X is children's stuff. A pimply 16 year old Ranga taking his first joy flight with fantasies of flying A380's in his eyes and blinded by the motion of a spinning prop knows the answer to that! Wingnut should NOT have to take such a basic question on notice. WTF?

Can you imagine asking the Commissioner of Police in QLD; 'what colour are police car flashing lights', or 'is it legal to sodomise a goat'?  And he says 'I will need to take that on notice'??  

Oh Lordy and heaven help us boys and girls, we are all ducked.

TICK TOCK

Well said Gobbles... Wink In the meantime while Wingnut fluffs around working out the best way to obfuscate the QON, Boyd & the Board have finally taken the initiative and answered the QON for him... Big Grin

Via Binger & 'that man' off the Oz:
Quote:
Quote:CASA backflip on navigation system
[Image: 59da250d0942529ae90bcca4787f23a7]12:00amMITCHELL BINGEMANN, EAN HIGGINS
CASA will push back the deadline for implementing new air navigation systems in private aircraft by three years.

The aviation regulator is set to announce a massive backdown on the mandate to implement cripplingly expensive new air navigation systems in private aircraft, pushing the deadline back three years to 2020.

The Australian has learned that the Civil Aviation Safety Authority will soon announce that the ­implementation of Automatic ­Dependent Surveillance-Broadcast (ADS-B) for private aircraft operators will be delayed from 2017 to 2020, in line with US regulations. Charter services and commercial, regular passenger aircraft will still be required to comply with the February 2017 deadline.

It is understood the CASA board has approved the deadline delay but is awaiting government sign-off before publicly announcing the changes. A spokesman for CASA said the regulator continued to “closely monitor the fitment rates for ADS-B” but that “no decisions have been made”.

ADS-B is an advanced air navigation system that uses sophisticated satellite GPS to determine the position, direction, speed and altitude of aircraft, with that information relayed in real time to air traffic controllers via ground ­stations.

Airservices and CASA had mandated that all required aircraft carry the new system by February 2017, three years before its full introduction in the US.

But private aircraft operators represented by industry groups such as the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association had passionately argued against its introduction, saying the costly system would destroy Australia’s already struggling general aviation sector.

They had argued that any implementation should wait until 2020 when similar regulations come into force in the US. Synching the regulations with US would result in economies of scale and reduce the costs of installing the expensive equipment. The high cost of installing the new equipment made businessman and aviator Dick Smith urge operators and pilots to leave general aviation before they lost large amounts of money trying to comply with the sector’s red tape.

Yesterday, Mr Smith welcomed the deadline delay saying it would be a reprieve for the nation’s general aviation sector which was suffocating under red tape and the cost of compliance.

“It looks like someone has ­finally made a sensible decision about this. ADS-B was offering no safety improvement for general aviation. It was just sheer bastardry,” Mr Smith told The Australian.

“It’s just a pity for all the aircraft owners out there who have had to take second mortgages on their homes to buy this useless equipment.”

CASA’s acting director of aviation safety, Shane Carmody, told a Senate estimates hearing last month that there were no plans to delay implementation and that there was no evidence to suggest prices for the equipment would decrease as installations increased in the US and elsewhere.

“In fact there might be more competition for equipment and the prices may not decrease, making it more difficult to get equipment closer to the time,” he said.

Mr Carmody said he did not favour delaying the mandate as “many, many operators, individuals and organisations, had over the last five years made a commitment to fit ADS-B — and they fitted it on the basis that the mandate was in place and coming in.

“There are a number of operators that would therefore not thank me, and would come back at us as a regulator and say, ‘You are making it less safe by deferring fitment when we’ve already made our investment in accordance with your direction,” he said.

The backdown on ADS-B follows a campaign by The Australian last year exposing the disproportionately high cost being imposed by government regulators on Australian aircraft owners as early adopters of the technology.

While many owners could see an eventual benefit in ADS-B, they wanted it delayed until after its compulsory adoption in the US.

Australian aircraft owners were sometimes put in the position of having to pay huge sums for “first installs” on their particular make of aircraft, which involved engineering costs of up to $120,000 per plane.

One of the champions of ADS-B who pushed for its early adoption is Airservices Australia chairman Angus Houston.

“Australia is a world leader in the implementation of satellite-based technology because it provides enormous safety and service benefit,” Sir Angus said in June. He and Mr Smith engaged in a public war of words over regulation.

Finally a win for sanity... Big Grin

MTF... Tongue

PFOS victims can no longer donate blood.

"The warning came after Adelaide man Geoff Fuller, who had a 36-year career as a firefighter at airports including Adelaide Airport, was informed by the blood service last week that he was no longer allowed to donate blood.
Mr Fuller, a regular donor, said he was told so after tests revealed he had high levels of PFOS and PFOA — part of the per-fluoroalkyl and poly-fluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) group of toxins — in his system".

Full article here;

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/south...f807af4140

I certainly hope Sir Anus or Harfwit don't injure themselves climbing over others to get to the trough, or require a blood transfusion due to injuries received climbing over barbed wire and broken glass to get to a Minsiters juicy white ass!!

'Unsafe blood donations for all'

Big holes in Sydney air traffic control roster threaten busy holiday travel

From the Simply Marvellous Horse-pooh;

"Air traffic controllers at Sydney Airport are scrambling to fill more than 50 vacancies in their roster over the Christmas and New Year holidays, raising concerns about delays to flights during the year's busiest travel period.
The holes in the roster for air traffic controllers at Australia's busiest airport come after at least five line managers – four of whom were licensed to operate as air traffic controllers – took redundancy as part of 900 nationwide job cuts at Airservices, the government-owned manager of the country's air space".

Full article link below;

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/big-holes-in-s...sqaf5.html

Oh dear, the redundancies were meant to have no impact on safety hey? Aren't most of the redundancies meant to be 'back of house' with no effect on frontline personnel? Wasn't all this risk assessed? Didn't Harfwit and Sir Anus promise no adverse effects from the redundancies? Maybe Harfwit will pick up a headset over Xmas and help out? And sir Anus can do some program repairs to aircraft separation software and satellite links?

Tick Tock goes the Sir An(g)us and Purple Haze TIBA clock!

Apocalypse – Now or Christmas Eve? Can’t begin to imagine the fallout should anything untoward happen then – can you, minister?

(11-09-2016, 01:57 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(11-09-2016, 08:35 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(11-08-2016, 04:30 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  Update to hoax radio calls - Undecided

Kharon -  "..Even the most bleeding of hearts would concede interfering with ATC operations is not just a mischievous ‘prank’.  No matter the motive; this event should be treated as an act of terrorism, the perpetrator(s), shown no mercy and penalised to full extent of the law, and be grateful there is ‘law’ to protect their rights, from the likes of me..."

Well said Ferryman and despite ASA bleating bollocks statements about no "compromising of safety at anytime", it would seem the Feds have a similar take to the "K" quote above and have subsequently issued a very hard-line join press statement today - Confused 

Via Oz Aviation:
Quote:Federal Police investigating bogus radio calls at Melbourne and Avalon airports
November 8, 2016 by australianaviation.com.au

[Image: Melbourne-inside-an-air-traffic-control-tower.jpg]A file image of the scene from inside the Melbourne Tullamarine air traffic control tower. (Airservices)

Update 23/11/16: AFP arrest suspected perp.

Via AA online:
Quote:Man arrested over bogus radio calls at Melbourne and Avalon airports
November 22, 2016 by australianaviation.com.au
[Image: Melbourne-inside-an-air-traffic-control-tower.jpg]A file image of the scene from inside the Melbourne Tullamarine air traffic control tower. (Airservices)

Australian Federal Police has arrested a 19-year-old Victorian man alleged to be behind unauthorised radio transmissions with aircraft and air traffic controllers at Melbourne and Avalon airports.

The man, who was due to face Melbourne Magistrates Court on Tuesday, has been charged with four counts of endangering the safety of aircraft and one count of interference likely to endanger safety or cause loss or damage.

The charges relate to 16 separate unauthorised radio transmissions at Melbourne and Avalon airports between September 5 and November 3, the AFP said in a statement on Tuesday.

AFP head of crime operations, acting Assistant Commissioner Chris Sheehan, thanked Airservices, the Australian Communications Media Authority (ACMA), Qantas and Virgin Australia for their assistance as part of the investigation.

“The current security measures in place for the airline industry are robust, and the traveling public should be reassured we are treating this matter appropriately,” Sheehan said in a statement on Tuesday.

“These incidents were thoroughly investigated by the AFP with the technical support of Airservices and the ACMA.

“The offences this 19-year-old man faces carry a maximum penalty of up to 20 years imprisonment.”

Airservices Southern operations manager Steven Clarke reassured the public there was no current threat to safety.

“Airservices has appropriate procedures, processes and systems in place to ensure the safety of aviation operations at Melbourne and Avalon airports, and across the country and for the travelling public,” Clarke said.

In the audio of one incident obtained by the ABC, someone pretending to be a pilot can be heard telling air traffic control his aircraft has suffered an engine failure.

Another incident involved a flight from Gold Coast to Melbourne where pilots of the aircraft aborted their landing after receiving instructions from someone pretending to be air traffic control

MTF...P2 Cool

Perth airport next on the PFOS testing program;

http://www.communitynews.com.au/southern...amination/

"PERTH Airport is being assessed for contamination from the same toxic chemicals that leeched into groundwater and rendered farmland unusable around the RAAF Williamtown base in New South Wales.
The culprits are the man-made chemicals perfluorooctane sulfonate (PFOS) and perfluorooctanoic acid (PFOA) found in fire fighting foam used at airports and Department of Defence sites across Australia.
Federal government organisation Airservices Australia, responsible for regulating firefighting foam used at government-owned airports, is expected to release preliminary test results in a report next month.
A spokesperson for Perth Airport said it was working closely with a range of State and Commonwealth government agencies, including the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (DIRD), Airservices Australia and the state departments of Environmental Regulation and Health.
“Perth Airport complies with the DIRD guidelines in conducting risk assessments on its operations to ensure the safety of its employees,” the spokesperson said.

Interesting though, the new Pertth CEO is a hedge fund stool. What is Ironic is that Perth's former environment manager is now CEO Newcastle! Anyway, the new Perth CEO cut the guts out of the environment staff at his last venture, North Queensland Airports. They had heaps of issues which include PFOS and a still not-contained underground fuel leak.
It's a relatively small world when it comes to airports and I know there are a number of people not happy that this particular CEO is joining joining a healthy vibrant airport known for its transparency.

Tick Tock Perth and welcome to the PFOS hall of shame

JSCPA&A 25/11/16 - Airservices hearing Can'tberra... Confused

This AM Electric Blue Harfwit was again front & centre for yet another Parliamentary Committee grilling. I'll let you be the judge on how he faired... Rolleyes

MTF...P2 Tongue

ATC Hoaxer is an ex Virgin Australia ground crew employee

So the nutter playing silly buggers on the airwaves is ex VA. You would think the fruit loop would have known better?

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/teenag...123-gswatn

I can only imagine how disappointed VA loyalist Tid'bin'dildo is feeling right now!

Meanwhile, at the bus stop.

P2 – “This AM Electric Blue Harfwit was again front & centre for yet another Parliamentary Committee grilling. I'll let you be the judge on how he faired”...

Well done P2 – on the ball, yet again; thanks mate. - Aye, ‘tis more entertaining than MKR, keeps the Senators busy, the audit troops gainfully employed and gives the real villains time, space and wriggle room.

Does Nuremberg or Montreal ring any small bells? Jesus wept; the Halfwit Freudian slip” I’ll pass it off” says it all.  Quickly passing the fast moving mini grenade to a more accomplished manipulator, a practiced practitioner of the denial of ‘perceived potential conflict’ of potential embarrassment; for the puppet masters.  (Hey, I’m learning double speak – bonus).

Just had enough time to skip through the ‘dead man walking’ video series; (Cheers P2) even so, what becomes clear is the reason Halfwit was promoted, despite protest, to the ASA top job. The parliamentary inquiry will need a focus point and a scapegoat. Halfwit ain’t, never was, could be, or is ever likely to become one of the top dog defence club crew; but even they, this inquiry, have a need of a whipping boy, to throw under the speeding bus.

It’s a good bet this inquiry will end up like every other ‘inquiry’ – shelf ware – with no real, tangible changes to anything; we expect that. Halfwit will be the token sacrifice, some words will be shuffled; and, as the circuit breakers trip, the overload will be safely contained before any damage can be done to the top layers.

There are some big, scary fingers in the big money defence pie, they are appended to even larger greedy hands, which scoop out the goodies; these are well protected hands, secure in the knowledge of absolute protection from those who depend on the crumbs dropped from the high table for sustenance.

Early days yet, I need to do some homework and set the tote board – but there are a couple of short priced favourites emerging; it will be the minor placings which cause the head scratching.

Toot – MTF – toot.

(11-26-2016, 06:02 AM)kharon Wrote:  Meanwhile, at the bus stop.

P2 – “This AM Electric Blue Harfwit was again front & centre for yet another Parliamentary Committee grilling. I'll let you be the judge on how he faired”...

Well done P2 – on the ball, yet again; thanks mate. - Aye, ‘tis more entertaining than MKR, keeps the Senators busy, the audit troops gainfully employed and gives the real villains time, space and wriggle room.

Does Nuremberg or Montreal ring any small bells? Jesus wept; the Halfwit Freudian slip” I’ll pass it off” says it all.  Quickly passing the fast moving mini grenade to a more accomplished manipulator, a practiced practitioner of the denial of ‘perceived potential conflict’ of potential embarrassment; for the puppet masters.  (Hey, I’m learning double speak – bonus).

Just had enough time to skip through the ‘dead man walking’ video series; (Cheers P2) even so, what becomes clear is the reason Halfwit was promoted, despite protest, to the ASA top job. The parliamentary inquiry will need a focus point and a scapegoat. Halfwit ain’t, never was, could be, or is ever likely to become one of the top dog defence club crew; but even they, this inquiry, have a need of a whipping boy, to throw under the speeding bus.

It’s a good bet this inquiry will end up like every other ‘inquiry’ – shelf ware – with no real, tangible changes to anything; we expect that. Halfwit will be the token sacrifice, some words will be shuffled; and, as the circuit breakers trip, the overload will be safely contained before any damage can be done to the top layers.

There are some big, scary fingers in the big money defence pie, they are appended to even larger greedy hands, which scoop out the goodies; these are well protected hands, secure in the knowledge of absolute protection from those who depend on the crumbs dropped from the high table for sustenance.

Early days yet, I need to do some homework and set the tote board – but there are a couple of short priced favourites emerging; it will be the minor placings which cause the head scratching.

Toot – MTF – toot.

Via AA online:

Quote:Airservices has implemented all recommendations of critical audit
November 25, 2016 by australianaviation.com.au Leave a Comment
[Image: IMG_0964.jpg]OneSky will replace the existing TAATS system. (Airservices)

Airservices chief executive Jason Harfield says the nation’s air traffic manager has implemented all the recommendations of a critical audit of procurement arrangements related to the OneSky project and is establishing a more accountable culture among its staff.

Federal Parliament’s Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit heard from Harfield on Friday in relation to Airservices’ contracting of the International Centre for Complex Project Management (ICCPM) to provide services related to OneSky, which aims to combine both the civil and military air traffic management systems into one program.

The ICCPM contract was the subject of an audit from the Australian National Audit Office (ANAO), which was critical of the Airservices’ procurement practices and highlighted some “systemic failures” within the organisation.

Harfield told the Committee Airservices had accepted all the ANAO report’s six recommendations, which cover procurement policies and procedures, as well as the culture within the organisation.

“We acknowledge that our procurement framework and its implementation could be improved and we have accepted all of the ANAO’s recommendations,” Harfield said.

“All of the recommendations in the report have been actioned and addressed as of 30th September this year.”

The ANAO conducted its audit at the request of the Senate Rural Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee and the Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development.
The audit, which was published in August, examined whether Airservices had effective procurement arrangements in place, with a particular emphasis on whether consultancy contracts entered into with ICCPM in association with the OneSky Australia program were effectively administered.

It found Airservices did not follow its own policies and procedures in contracting ICCPM to provide services related to the OneSky project.

“A key shortcoming in Airservices’ procurement policies and procedures is that they do not give appropriate emphasis to the use of competitive processes,” the ANAO report said.

“In addition, Airservices routinely failed to adhere to its policies and procedures in procuring services from ICCPM. As a result, Airservices’ procurement of services from ICCPM, on an exclusively sole-sourced basis, did not deliver value for money.”

Harfield acknowledged that “in hindsight, we should have gone out to the market”.

“But because we had had a relationship with ICCPM and we were forming up with the Department of Defence to do this procurement and they had extensive expertise in Defence procurement practices, processes and complex management expertise it was, I’ll call it, naturally assumed that they were the best people,” Harfield said.

The ANAO report noted there were 42 engagements of ICCPM employees and sub-contractors through 18 procurement processes, which were all on an exclusive sole-sourced based and did not deliver value for money.

Harfield said procurement processes had not been changed to reflect the need for a more competitive approach.

“There was a culture of authorised exemptions. So in other words, you would go along to the financial delegate and get authorisation to do a sole source. What we’ve changed around is that you have to do a competitive process,” Harfield said.

“The barriers to be able to do it have been put in place. The norm is actually to do a competitive tender.”

Further, Harfield said the changes being implemented at Airservices were designed to establish stronger accountability within the organisation.

“Part of the change process that we are going through is to build that accountable performance culture, which actually has that as part of very much managing the performance of individuals and holding people to account,” Harfield said.

“One of the things that our organisation from a cultural perspective would talk about accountability and responsibility, which is all fine and you can say that I am accountable for X or responsible for Y, but the added element that was probably part of the cultural piece was no one was being held to account.

“That is one of the areas that we are focusing on.”

Auditor-General Grant Hehir told the Committee the response of Airservices showed the organisation was moving in the right direction.

“The description of what they have undertaken sounds like the type of things that we would expect to have occurred,” Hehir said.

“I think the emphasis on cultural change is quite important given the systemic nature of the issues that we have identified.”

Harfield said Airservices had just completed a probity audit of the OneSky program, with the report to be presented to the board next week.

The audit was to “ensure that the changes we’ve made to the probity framework as a result of this audit have been implemented appropriately and are effective”, he said.

The ANAO is undertaking a second performance audit of Airservices, which looks into the conduct of the OneSky tender process “from initiation to finalisation of the election and contracting process, with a focus on the achievement of value with public resources in accordance with appropriate probity protocols”.

Hehir said the second audit was a separate topic to the matters raised relating to ICCPM in this first audit.

“Our second audit is about the OneSky procurement process. They touch on each other but they don’t really cover the same ground,” Hehir said.

“The audit will look at issues like the procurement process undertaken for OneSky, including the probity arrangements around it, so they have a similar topic area but difference substance.”

The report from that second audit was due to be published in the middle of 2017

It is passing strange how you can have a completely different spin on the ball (event) when one of your major sponsors happens to be Airservices Australia - cronyism rules OK... Rolleyes

MTF...P2 Tongue

Industry sold a lemon on ADS-B

A bit like a reoccurring nightmare I believe history will show that industry was sold a lemon on ADS-B. History will also show that the bureaucratic created, millstone around the neck of industry, was all because of our beyond Reasoned obsession with being once again the ground breakers in aviation safety technological advances... Dodgy

Meanwhile in the land of the Maple leaf & Bald eagle the Canucks & Yanks once again show that some decisions should be made with a slow & steady Reasoned approach.

Here is where the North Americans are going with ADS-B... Wink

Via Flightaware/Aireon:
Quote:Aireon and FlightAware Announce New Partnership with SITAONAIR to Provide Space-Based ADS-B Flight Tracking to Airlines
Recommend

Tuesday, 29 November 2016 19:00
Last updated over 12 hours ago

SITAONAIR customers will have access to 100 percent global, real-time flight tracking in 2018 with no new avionics required

McLean, Virginia (November 29, 2016) – Aireon LLC, FlightAware and SITAONAIR today announced a new partnership to provide SITAONAIR’s airline customers with Aireon’s space-based automatic dependent surveillance-broadcast (ADS-B) data. Starting in 2018, SITAONAIR airline customers with ADS-B Out equipped aircraft will have access to 100 percent global flight tracking data, in real-time, through SITAONAIR’s AIRCOM® FlightTracker product.

The partnership also means that airlines already using SITAONAIR’s AIRCOM® FlightTracker product will automatically begin seeing the new Aireon data appear in their systems without the need for new avionics or for aircraft modifications. Additionally, prospective customers can be up and running to receive the new data in as short a time frame as one week. The Aireon data will be delivered to SITAONAIR via FlightAware, who provide a secure streaming data feed of flight positions and flight status data via a combination of worldwide air traffic control data, ground-based ADS-B, and aircraft datalink information.

“At SITAONAIR, our focus is on products and solutions with specific value for the aviation community, particularly when it comes to aircraft tracking,” says Paul Gibson, portfolio director, AIRCOM® at SITAONAIR. “The addition of Aireon’s space-based ADS-B data is a perfect evolution of this. It will allow us to help airlines achieve truly global flight tracking in a cost-effective way, by making use of the pre-existing ADS-B capability on aircraft of all shapes and sizes, without the need for additional avionics. Our partnership with Aireon and FlightAware helps further establish SITAONAIR’s AIRCOM® FlightTracker as an innovative, cutting-edge and value-add solution for airlines. It strengthens SITAONAIR’s positon as a leader in safety related IT and communications products and services for the industry.”

Currently, AIRCOM® FlightTracker is an ACARS and terrestrial surveillance-based system that provides regular flight position updates and requires no modification to aircraft. The solution works by gathering data from multiple global sources, complementing active Air Navigation Service Provider (ANSP) Future Air Navigation System activity with additional automatic dependent surveillance-contract connectivity. The addition of Aireon’s space-based ADS-B data will for the first time provide 100 percent global coverage in real-time, thereby instantly resolving all data feed gaps that may remain.

“This partnership is bringing together best-in-class companies to create a massive technological leap forward at the flick of a switch. The ability to provide 100 percent global flight tracking is addressing and solving a problem that has been well established,” said FlightAware Chief Executive Officer, Daniel Baker. “This holds particularly true for narrow-body aircraft that are not equipped with SATCOM datalink for oceanic tracks, nor capable of meeting even the most basic GADSS requirements. The ability to add Aireon’s space-based ADS-B data to SITAONAIR’s existing and proven tracking solution will allow aircraft operators to go from either no oceanic or remote position updates, or 15 minute updates, to minute-by-minute updates – all with no additional avionics required.”

Aireon’s space-based ADS-B system offers a global solution that works for ADS-B Out equipped aircraft everywhere. Currently, operators engage in a costly, time consuming process of indexing all their aircraft, noting what types of equipment each had installed. With various ADS-B Out mandates passed by ANSPs and industry governing bodies around the world, operators will automatically know that their aircraft are properly equipped. - Wink

“We’re proud to work with both FlightAware, our existing partner, and SITAONAIR, our new partner, in delivering this cutting-edge capability. SITAONAIR and FlightAware are industry stalwarts, and this partnership is showing how industry leaders can come together and create a more cost-effective, simple to implement and more efficient flight tracking capability than ever before,” said Aireon Vice President of Aviation Services, Cyriel Kronenburg. “We are particularly excited to expand coverage to the oceans and especially polar airspace, which will have complete surveillance before the Iridium NEXT satellite constellation is fully completed.”

What are the odds that by the time the USA 2020 mandate comes to pass the current ADS-B systems will be made redundant. All expensive ground receiver stations will no longer be required and ADS-B will be a function of the one GPS/FMS unit? Dodgy

MTF...P2 Tongue

OneSKY trough fund update -  Rolleyes

From the ANAO website I note that the 2nd ASA audit reporting date has been brought forward... Huh

"..The anticipated tabling date for this report has been brought forward to March 2017. It was previously anticipated to table in May 2017..."
Update published Dec 01, 2016 01:15 pm

Quote:Conduct of the OneSKY Tender
Report preparation

Contribution has closed

Due to table: March, 2017
[Image: OneSky-audit-May-2016.jpg]
Portfolio: Infrastructure and Regional Development; Defence; Finance

Entity: 
Airservices Australia; Department of Defence; Department of Finance

Please direct enquiries relating to reports through our contact page.

The objective of this audit is to assess whether the OneSKY tender was conducted so as to provide value with public resources and achieve required timeframes for the effective replacement of the existing air traffic management platforms.

Audit criteria
  1. Was the OneSKY tender process based on a sound business case and appropriate Defence, Airservices and joint governance arrangements?
  2. Did the tender process result in the transparent selection of a successful tender that provided the best whole-of-life value for money solution at an acceptable level of cost, technical and schedule risk, consistent with the Request for Tender?
  3. Did negotiations with the successful tenderer result in constructive contractual arrangements that ensured continuity of safe air traffic services, the managed insertion of an optimum system of systems outcome within required timeframes, and demonstrable value?
Not sure what that means but anyhow... Huh

I also note that the Hansard for the Harfwit confession session is finally out: Joint Committee of Public Accounts and Audit (Joint-Friday, 25 November 2016)

P2 comment - I just love this bit, Harfwit simply can't help himself and keeps swallowing the bait... Rolleyes 
Quote:Mr HART: Why didn't Airservices more effectively manage ICCPM's engagements to ensure that the OneSKY tender process was free of concerns over perceptions of conflict of interest?

Mr Harfield : Sorry, could you just repeat the question?

Mr HART: Why didn't Airservices more effectively manage the engagements of ICCPM to ensure that the tender process was free of concerns over perceptions of conflict of interest?

Mr Harfield : We acknowledge that our management of it was not as good as it should be, particularly around the perceived potential conflicts. There were certain assumptions made that just having individuals sign off conflict-of-interest registers and probity aspects was done, and some of those things were done early in the piece but were not updated subsequently. There was also an assumption made in setting up the strategic partnership, and part of one of the criteria of that strategic partnership was that the conflict-of-interest aspects were to be addressed, and then there was noncompliance with some of those procedures.

Mr HART: I think we have a different understanding of what we are talking about. I am not talking about actual conflicts of interest; I am talking about perceptions of conflict of interest. Do you accept, for example, that Airservices had a closed mind with respect to its engagement, or its strategic partnership, with ICCPM?

Mr Harfield : Yes, I do.

Mr HART: Right. Why was Airservices' approach to administering declared conflicts and monitoring ICCPM's contractors' compliance with the probity plan inconsistent and passive?

Mr Harfield : It goes back to a point that I made, which is that the process was put in place and, therefore, there is an expectation that it just gets followed. Instead of actively managing things, people say, 'There is a process in place, therefore it is all done.' But, when you have put a process in place, you have to actually manage it to make sure that you are achieving the outcomes. This goes back to that cultural element that we talked about that needs to be addressed, and I can apply some of those pieces referenced—the conflict of interest and that passiveness—to a range of other processes that we have within the organisation. It is actually one of the fundamental drivers of why we are going through a transformation program of creating an accountable performance culture in the organisation.

Mr HART: On that issue, your response indicates, under the heading of 'Monitoring', that you have put in place steps for improved monitoring and oversight by the executive and board in relation to project delivery and governance. Insofar as that applies to the issue of probity management, what, if any, oversight was there by the executive and the board with respect to probity and conflict of interest?

Mr Harfield : The board and executive approved the probity management framework and the conflict of interest—

Mr HART: Which you did not follow.

Mr Harfield : frameworking system and procedures. It was 'by exception' for things to be elevated within that framework. It should not have been 'by exception'; there should have been much more active management. They are some of the corrections we have made as a result. We admit that it was not appropriate, and the reporting out of it to board level in particular was not adequate.

Mr HART: The point was that you had a range of frameworks available to you, particularly with regard to procurement, and you did not follow them.

Mr Harfield : That is correct.

Mr HART: Would that be correct with respect to probity management?

Mr Harfield : The probity management was managed. What occurred was some of the follow-ups and closing out—I will call it loose ends—and review. So there were elements of non-compliance or not following, but generally speaking it was appropriate.

Mr HART: I put it to you that your response, in particular from the organisation, was directed primarily towards the existence of actual conflicts rather than the question of perception. Is that correct?

Mr Harfield : That is a fair assumption.

Mr HART: That is a pretty serious failure, isn't it?

Mr Harfield : In hindsight, yes, it was.

Mr HILL: Because the response was signed by the chair.

Mr Harfield : The response to the audit?

Mr HILL: The response to the audit was very defensive; it was saying there was no actual conflict—almost implying that perceived conflicts do not matter—and that was signed by the chair.

Mr Harfield : That is correct, but also that we have been on the public record a number of times, even into Hansard, acknowledging that our management of perceived potential conflicts of interest was not appropriate. We have even put that in part of our response, that we have acknowledged that and they are areas we have taken action on to improve going forward. We actually have acknowledged that we did not manage them appropriately.

Mr HILL: But that failure goes right up to the mind of the organisation—that is, the governance of the organisation.

Mr Harfield : It goes to the focus of the probity framework, and the conflict of interest was very much around the actual. The considerations around potential were not given the due respect that they should have been.

Mr HART: In response, you have indicated that there have been some further steps put in place. How many investigations have been undertaken by the probity adviser and the auditor panel separately? Have there been any significant findings made? What has changed as a consequence?

Mr Logan : In response to this ANAO audit, we have explained some of the pieces of changes to policy procedure and activities that we have put in place. We have the probity adviser sitting alongside, reviewing some of those elements, and, as Mr Harfield mentioned earlier, we then had a probity auditor run a probity audit over recent months. The report out of that process is due next week.

Interrogation rule 101: When your in a hole just stop digging... Big Grin
MTF...P2 Tongue

This shit just got real

P2;
"Not sure what that means but anyhow"

I think I know. The 'outcome' of the senate grilling has resulted in 'he who has a large Buccula', Harfwit, admitting to some pretty damning confessions of absolute incompetence and mismanagement. He has basically said "yes, ASA had some firm Governance requirements outlined in the process of this tender and rather than comply with those processes ASA ducked it up all the way through'. Not only that, Harfwit licked the Board's arse all the way through the question session, which in turn has further strengthened the noose around his fat neck and buccula because he sings their praises and innocence while he steps up onto the plank. The bus driver well and truly has someone that he can now throw under the bus. However he had that somebody all along didn't he?

Harfwit is so stupid. He let his giant ego and electric blue suits get in the way of reality, while a sly old turd like Sir An(g)us lined up his sacrifice just incase it would be required. I believe the round 2 ANAO audit has been brought forward because the Guv'mint is now shitting itself after the dopey Harfwit senate confession. Even based on the evidence to date there needs to be heads rolled. We aren't talking about the procurement of $20k for new security cameras around Brisbane's ATC tower. We are talking about $1b to $1.5b worth of procurement.

Root cause; what we still don't have is root cause, why didn't team Harfwit consider perceptions, actual conflict of interest, and actual process compliance in the first place? All I'm hearing is a lot of 'yes we messed up' and 'we could have done things better', but I'm yet to hear the actual root cause. Perhaps that will be the focus of the 'ANAO Round 2 Cage Match' - ANAO vs ASA, a battle royal of epic proportions?  

I believe Harfwit could be sitting safe in his arrogance knowing that he is the Godfather of ASA and nobody can touch him. Or he could be a complete numpty with no idea that he is being lined up to walk the plank. Only time, and the second audit, will determine what happens next.

Tote Board for what may transpire over the next 6 months by way of head rolling;
- Minister for NFI 90:1
- Sir Anus 15:1
- Electric Blue - 8:1

Tick Tock Electric Blue, Sir Anus, Goldman Sachs Turnbull, Barmybaby and DDDD

ASA Gold Coast PFOS contamination report 'half arsed'

Article here;

http://www.goldcoastbulletin.com.au/news...2d5b9a5107

Everything about Harfwit and Houston is half arsed so no real surprises here!

Tick Tock

Dear H&H - L&Ks Dick... Wink  

(12-07-2016, 12:14 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  Via the Oz today:
Quote:Smith gifts $1m to charity
[Image: 9f8771a537f653bb6b4ea03a81408e7f]12:00amSIMON KING
Dick Smith will give $1mn to charity out of frustration with his plan to recreate a historic air race.
Quote:...Such is Mr Smith’s disappointment that he will give the $1m he had earmarked for the air race — which would have used electric planes in the recreation to spark a new round of innovation — to the Rotary Australia Benevolent ­Society.

“I’m incredibly disappointed,” he told The Australian.

In 1919, Australian prime minister Billy Hughes offered £10,000 to the first aircrew to reach Darwin from London.

“Back in 1919, people had no idea the planes that were used in World War I could actually do long distances,” Mr Smith said.

“Billy Hughes came up with the original idea and it was the start of long-distance air travel.

“I thought wouldn’t it be great if 100 years later we did it with electrically powered planes.

“It would be all about inno­vation because electrically powered aircraft can do about 300 nautical miles (now) and you need about 500. It would mean you have three years to extend the boundaries; innovate to get better storage. Which would help every bit of alternative energy.”

Mr Smith said he encountered the same problem in all his aviation dealings with government: “Nobody makes a decision.”

He said he had mentioned the project directly to Malcolm Turnbull and then wrote to the Minister for Innovation, Greg Hunt. “I can’t even remember his name he’s so dynamic — but I wrote to him and he didn’t commit himself to anything.

“At one stage they said, ‘What do you want?’ and I said, ‘It would be great if you match the money but you don’t have to, just come with some enthusiasm for it’. But I got nothing.”

Mr Smith said the aviation community had been overwhelmingly supportive of the idea. “But no doubt the minister would have been advised, ‘Oh minister small planes crash, I wouldn’t suggest you get involved with this.’

“They are so risk-averse and so politically correct — even with Dick Smith on side putting the money in, they couldn’t bring themselves to support it.

“So I’m giving a breakfast talk ... at the Rotary Club of Wahroonga and then I’ll hand $1m to them.”

Yesterday, a spokesman for Mr Hunt maintained that his department’s lack of involvement was a financial issue: “We respect his initiative, but the government can’t fund every proposal for using taxpayer’s money,” the spokesman said.

“We’d be very happy for Mr Smith to provide his own funds rather than calling on taxpaying Australian families There is no barrier to Mr Smith paying for this himself.”...

...The donation is part of more than $4.1m Mr Smith is giving to charities and organisations from the sale of his Cessna Citation aircraft. He sold the plane in disgust at ever-increasing maintenance costs caused, he said, by years of industry mismanagement by both major political parties through the Civil Aviation Safety Authority. “Every time you blink, CASA comes up with a more expensive equipment to be fitted to your plane,” he said....
Continuing on the Dick Smith donation trail, from the sale of his Citation jet, I love the audacity and simple irony in the following story via Oz Flying.. Big Grin

Quote:[Image: http%3A%2F%2Fyaffa-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com%...cheque.jpg]Dick Smith has sent a $160,000 cheque to Airservices Australia to fund a system of web cams around the country. (Steve Hitchen)

Dick Smith sends Airservices Money for Weather Cams
7 December 2016

Aviation activist and entrepreneur Dick Smith today posted a $160,000 cheque to Airservices Australia CEO Jason Harfield to fund a network of weather cameras to be positioned around Australia.

Smith has allocated the funds from the sale of his Citation jet in the USA, and wants Airservices to set up a network similar to that run by NavCanada, which enables pilots to log into their website and see real-time weather conditions around the country.

"I believe one of the most important causes is to try to get a weather cam network as they have in Canada and Alaska," Smith says in the covering letter send to Harfield.

"I have spoken to people [in Canada] and they are very enthusiastic about the great safety advantage provided by the weather cams, and also the fact that because NavCanada has infrastructure on the ground, in many places they can provide the cameras at minimum installation costs.

"I really hope you will take this letter and cheque with the goodwill that is intended and find a way to go ahead and improve aviation safety in this important issue."

Smith told Australian Flying that he had originally offered the money to CASA based on the Alaskan system, which is run by the Federal Aviation Administration, but that CASA turned down the offer.

NavCanada has hundreds of weather cams covering the country. The network is accessed through the NavCanada weather website.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...6CloPzu.99

Luv your work Dick - Wink (Ps Choc Frog is in the mail)

MTF...P2 Cool

Ps For Dick's benefit on an update of the FER KPMG report involving ASA, I note the following AQON from M&M:
Quote:Division/Agency: Corporate Services
Topic: Functional and Efficiency Review
Proof Hansard Page: Written (27 October 2016)

Senator Sterle, Glenn asked:

At the previous Estimates in May the Secretary outlined some of the recommendations of the Functional & Efficiency Review conducted into the Department by KPMG:

Can you update on what has happened with that review since May?
Are you able to indicate if Cabinet has concluded its consideration of the report?
Have any of the 18 recommendations referred to last time been accepted by Government?
If yes,
which ones?
do any recommend outsourcing of existing Departmental functions? Details?
do any recommend insourcing of existing outsourced functions?
What has happened with the Airservices recommendations?
Are there any recommendations that relate to the Australian Rail Track Corporation?
If yes, do any relate to changed ownership structures? Details?
Are there any recommendations that relate to Infrastructure Australia?
If yes, does that relate to the governance structure of IA?
What other recommendations are there?
What is the expected timeframe around decisions by Government from this review?

Answer:

The report of the Functional and Efficiency Review of the portfolio is with the Government, and will be considered by Cabinet in the context of the 2017/18 budget.

Given this status, it is not appropriate to comment at this stage on the recommendations contained in the review.
So no copy yet and as usual the Turnbull government is procrastinating - Dodgy

A welcome drop, in the ocean of plenty.

The irony and genius of Dick’s gesture will be lost on Halfwit; but, with a little more fancy footwork through the paperwork, there will be a benefit or two. Let’s see - $AUD 160,000 at current rate of expenditure. Checks diary:-

Wednesday – Golf 1030 – 1300 hrs; lunch at the club 1330 – 1600 hrs; sun bed, massage and hair colour 1700 – 1830 hrs; power nap 1900 – 2000 hrs; casino 2100 -2400 hrs.

Thursday – 0030 -0100 hrs cathouse selection menu study; 0130 – 0330 dungeon games; 0400 recovery, shower and nightcap; 0430 just enough money left for taxi home.

Aye, it’s a tough life, at the top; where mediocre people are always – at their best,

Toot ) chuckle ( toot.

(12-09-2016, 06:59 AM)kharon Wrote:  A welcome drop, in the ocean of plenty.

The irony and genius of Dick’s gesture will be lost on Halfwit; but, with a little more fancy footwork through the paperwork, there will be a benefit or two. Let’s see - $AUD 160,000 at current rate of expenditure. Checks diary:-

Wednesday – Golf 1030 – 1300 hrs; lunch at the club 1330 – 1600 hrs; sun bed, massage and hair colour 1700 – 1830 hrs; power nap 1900 – 2000 hrs; casino 2100 -2400 hrs.

Thursday – 0030 -0100 hrs cathouse selection menu study; 0130 – 0330 dungeon games; 0400 recovery, shower and nightcap; 0430 just enough money left for taxi home.

Aye, it’s a tough life, at the top; where mediocre people are always – at their best,

Toot ) chuckle ( toot.

Big Grin Big Grin Sometimes "K" you out do yourself in wickedness - Luv it Big Grin Big Grin

In a further update to Dick's (self-confessed) mad moment, courtesy of the Oz:
Quote:
Quote:Smith puts focus on safety

[Image: d8a10ed439cc017f9457e5f8c29c3ff2]12:00amSIMON KING

Dick Smith has donated $160,000 aiming to trigger the installation of weather cameras.

In what, by his own high standards, he describes as one of his “madder moves”, Dick Smith has donated $160,000 to government body Airservices Australia in a bid to trigger the installation of what he believes are lifesaving weather cameras.

“It is one of the most eccentric and maddest things I’ve done, but how else do I get them to do something?” he said. “It is so frustrating that other countries have these weather cams — they’re just normal and an absolutely fantastic service for aviators and we have nothing.”

Mr Smith said he hoped Airservices Australia would use the money to look to replicate those cameras operated by Nav Canada and he pinpointed “known risk locations” such as Mount Victoria in NSW and Kilmore Gap in Victoria as ideal candidates to begin the program.

“It’s incredibly important — one of the most common forms of accident is a weather-related accident,” Mr Smith said.

“Around the world, the US, Canada, they’ve started putting cameras on mountain passes.

“They’re absolutely fantastic — before you leave you have a look and see a picture of when the weather’s good and the current conditions.

“It would help country aviation and would improve safety drastically.”

As of publication, Airservices Australia said it had not received Mr Smith’s cheque. The donations were part of more than $4.1 million Mr Smith is making from the sale of his Cessna Citation aircraft.

As well as $1m to the Rotary Australia Benevolent ­Society, he is donating heavily to organisations that improve aviation safety and participation.

On the list are the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association ($30,000); Recreational Aviation Australia ($30,000); The Royal Federation of Aero Clubs of Australia ($20,000); the Australian Aviation Hall of Fame ($10,000); the Scouts Air Activity Centre at both Camden, NSW, and Moorabbin, Victoria ($10,000 each); the Sport Aircraft Association of Australia ($10,000); the Australian Ballooning Federation ($10,000); and the Australian Women Pilots Association ($10,000).

The Historical Aircraft Restoration Society received $125,000, the Royal Flying Doctor Service Canberra $100,000, the Historical Aircraft Restoration Society $125,000 and the Angel Flight, Careflight Westmead and Southern Region Westpac SLSA helicopter are all receiving $50,000.

MTF...P2 Tongue

There is on Pprune a particularly good thread running; it kicked off as polite inquiry to a perceived decrease in Melbourne ATC performance. It is heartening to see that the ATCO and pilots can hold a civilised discussion, exchange views and demonstrate grown up behaviour. The ATCO responses proving, yet again, how essential it is for pilots to understand the ‘system’ both parties are lumbered with. Bloody good thread. Worth the time.  

Toot toot.

Match fit Harfwit cops a yellow card -  Big Grin
(12-16-2016, 07:14 AM)kharon Wrote:  There is on Pprune a particularly good thread running; it kicked off as polite inquiry to a perceived decrease in Melbourne ATC performance. It is heartening to see that the ATCO and pilots can hold a civilised discussion, exchange views and demonstrate grown up behaviour. The ATCO responses proving, yet again, how essential it is for pilots to understand the ‘system’ both parties are lumbered with. Bloody good thread. Worth the time.  

Toot toot.

Excellent catch "K".... Wink

Quote from IsDon:
Quote:Some time ago I was pushing the Sydney Curfew as we called for push in Melbourne.

There was a strong South Easterly at the time and 16 was the duty runway. The queue of taxiing aircraft extended along Alpha as far as Tango. There was no way we could join the queue and still make curfew.

I requested 09 and was promptly told, "Not Available". On querying why I was told Ambulance traffic into Essendon. I asked when it would be available and was told, basically, never. A quick spin of the figures and it transpired we could take 10 knots tail wind on 27 as our only hope of making it. This option was requested, and approved. Good ole overpowered 767.

The next day I was back in Melbourne and phoned the tower to find out why they don't use 09. I have used it, years ago on a classic 747. Why not use it any more? Admittedly Easterlies are rare, but why restrict to one runway with an Easterly? I was initially told, once again, it was ambulance traffic into Essendon. I have a finely tuned BS detector that went off at that point. Sure, ambulance traffic may be a restriction for 5-10 minutes, but that didn't account for the fact 09 hasn't been used in years.

Finally, after much friendly probing (over the phone, get your mind out of the gutter) he finally admitted that there was nobody left in tower/approach that knew how. It was used so infrequently, that the corporate knowledge had gone and nobody left had any idea how to run the sequences.

I was flabbergasted. How could one of Australia's major airports effectively halve its capacity during an Easterly just though lack of training, experience, exposure and corporate knowledge?

I hope things have improved.

Funny how the UP thread matches much of the PAIN filed reports from Senate Estimates and MSM on the ASA shambolic management of the YMML airspace & MATC. Wonder if there is some correlation to M&M's latest waffle (ASRR lip service) report - see HERE. After all from time to time even the seemingly untouchable Murky Mandarin and his minions have to make appearances at giving a shit about industry and IOS concerns... Dodgy

Speaking of the letter "M" and industry concerns with CAsA & Department oversight and policy in regards to ASA, I note that yesterday off a PAIN email chain that BM from AOPA Oz has addressed yet another letter to Comardy... Rolleyes :
Quote:Thursday, 15th December 2016

Mr Shane Carmody

Acting CEO and Director of Aviation Safety, CASA

GPO BOX 2005

Canberra ACT 2601, Australia

The Hon Darren Chester MP

Minister for Infrastructure and Transport

Parliament House

Canberra ACT 2600, Australia. 

AOPA Australia requests that Airservices Australia be held to the same standard that general aviation is in Australia.

Dear Mr Carmody,

Further to my letter provided to your office today, regarding the publishing of defective air navigation data (2016 En-route Supplement Australia ERSA) by Airservices Australia and the AOPA Australia call for a formal investigation.  The AOPA Australia highlights;

1 Airservices Australia - like CASA - is an essential provider of data and information that is relied on by aviation organisations and pilots in Australia to maintain safe air navigation.

2 The provision of defective ERSA publications to aviation organisations and pilots has exposed users to significant risk which includes the potential for loss of life.

3 Airservices failed to identify the defect in time to stop the publications public release, demonstrating a lack of oversight and risk management by the organisation.

Understanding that ‘safety’ is the most important concern of CASA and that its core function is to ensure that lives are not unnecessarily put at risk, will CASA now suspend Airservices operations in Australia and require the organisation to ‘show-cause’ before it may continue to operate?

Or will Airservices be given ‘special treatment’ and full exemption from the normal Friday 5pm ‘suspension and show-cause’ process which has been consistently used against the general aviation industry by the regulator? 

Yours Sincerely,

BENJAMIN MORGAN

Executive Director - Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA)

Under normal circumstances I can imagine that such 'poison' letter correspondence would simply sit in Wingnut's in-tray till sometime in 2017 the recycle crew pop by. However this particular correspondence has made its way (via Binger) onto the aviation section of Friday's Oz Confused :
Quote:
Quote:Airservices’ blanks hits pilots
[Image: 35ff8dbd9c0cee5c614052a224ac50bb]12:00amMITCHELL BINGEMANN
Airservices Australia has stuffed up the printing of a critical directory for pilots.
Airservices Australia has stuffed up the printing of a critical directory for pilots by leaving pages blank in the lengthy document supposed to contain information vital for planning flights.

Close to 50 pages (pages 385 to 432, which cover all aerodromes starting with the letter “M”) in some copies of the air traffic controller’s En-route Supplement Australia (ERSA) publication have been left blank after a printing failure.

The navigation data is updated every three months and contains critical information including pictorial presentations of all licensed aerodromes in the nation. It also includes information about aerodrome physical characteristics, hours of operation, visual ground aides, air traffic services, lighting and airport operators’ details.

The ERSA is available in spiral bound, loose leaf format or online. The online version does not have the same problem.

Despite the printed publication being available for a month, no attempts have been made by Airservices to notify the airport and pilot community of the missing information.
The printing mishap was leapt on by the Aircraft Owners and ­Pilots Association, which has written to Civil Aviation Safety Authority head Shane Carmody and Transport Minister Darren Chester to immediately investigate how the error occurred and whether drastic staff cuts at Airservices played any role.

“This failure by Airservices Australia is an entirely unacceptable situation and highlights industry’s concern regarding recent Airservices Australia job cuts and their impact on the safety of Australian air navigation. Clearly there have been no checks and balances to ensure the accuracy of this publication,” AOPA executive director Ben Morgan said.

“This renders the publication totally unsafe for use in air navigation. We are unaware of any media releases identifying the unsafe publications.”

AOPA says the defective publication has exposed pilots and aerodrome operators to significant risk, including to loss of life.

The group has demanded Airservices immediately issue a recall of the defective publication and for Airservices to provide all Australian pilots with an updated publication at no charge.

A spokesman for Airservices said that of the 16000 ERSA books it publishes each year, that it was only aware of four that were printed with pages missing.

“This appears to be an isolated external printing issue. There has been no change in staffing at Airservices in relation to the editorial functions responsible for production of the ERSA,” the spokesman said.

A CASA spokesman said the regulator was aware some copies of the latest edition of ERSA contained missing pages but that the copies it had were error-free. “CASA is asking Airservices Australia to investigate and to take appropriate action to rectify any deficiencies that may be found,” the spokesman said.

The regulator said it would not issue a warning to pilots because it was unaware of the scope of the issue but it encouraged pilots to check their ERSA before flight.

The error comes as Airservices has slashed more than 700 jobs as it looks to save $150 million, about 15 pre cent of its costs. It has plans to remove 900 jobs, about 20 per cent of its workforce, by the end of June next year.

The job cuts have been the subject of intense scrutiny from a Senate committee investigating rural and regional affairs.

In October, Airservices chief Jason Harfield was grilled by Liberal and Labor senators about the implications of that 12-month cost-cutting program, codenamed “Accelerate”.
Mr Harfield said only back-office staff, and not frontline traffic controllers or firefighting staff, would be hit by the cuts.

He has said the safety of passenger aircraft would not be compromised by the cuts as a “detailed and rigorous assessment” was conducted on each individual redundancy to determine any ­potential impact on the safety of Airservices traffic controller or aviation rescue firefighting ­operations.

“It is in the back of house operations, in our support areas only,” Mr Harfield told the Senate committee in October.

Probably still cop the same 'recycle' treatment but not before we've made some mileage out of it... Big Grin

MTF...P2 Tongue

How utterly embarrassing! Blank effing pages! So much for QA! I wonder if the same level of incompetence will be applied to the tender process for OneSky? Oh, I forgot! How silly of me.

Seems like the match unfit Electric Blue really got it right when he decided to give all of those 'back of house non essential' employees the arse!

Yellow cards - they match the colour of Harfwits tongue after it has been removed from the Bus Driver Houstoblame's arse.

TICK TOCK