The Sunday Brunch Gazette.

(03-28-2020, 11:33 PM)Kharon Wrote:  [Image: sbg-29320.jpg]
Ref: Pg 44 - https://www.raa.asn.au/safety/accident-a...summaries/ & https://www.vision6.com.au/em/message/em...R-IHlhWLWs & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2018-066/ & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2019-071/

If, you go down to the woods today- etc.

Not a big surprise to stumble into P2; rootling about the metaphorical woods of 'research'. I was hot on trail of a mystery which has me intrigued, P2 was hunting down some 'strange and wonderful' things to do with the black arts of 'certification and the approval process for aircraft and their operations. Our paths crossed at exactly the the same junction; “Ullo” say's he, “What cheer” I replied. Seemed like a good time to take a break, have a cuppa and exchange information; a log each to sit on - “You first” say's P2. “What you doing cruising this neck of the woods. “Accidents and statistics” say's I – You? “Certification and stuff” he replied. Well, we compared notes, seems we were both hunting the same strange beast; but, from different directions. Your indulgence for a ramble is now required; we have not, as yet got this 'thing' properly lined up, some dots and dashes  are missing, but I will sketch the outline and fill in the facts once we have opinion from 'expert' sources. 

[Image: bannerrrr-1024x368-1.jpg]

To begin, I was curious about a 2017 RA Oz aircraft accident. RA Oz were to investigate the serious crash and present a 'report' to CASA; as it was one of their own. There were a couple of interesting questions begging answers, for which we awaited 'the report'. The first question being, where was the accident report? I did look long and hard – but nary a sign of that elusive document did I find. It may well be lurking in some festering pile or another – however, to those who may have an interest – it has not been, thus far located. From this puzzle, other important questions are raised, the first being a potential conflict of interest due to the RA Oz system having a clear commercial interest in keeping LSA on the front lines of training.

[Image: DkHsJIoU4AA5cVK.jpg]

This naturally leads one to ponder a couple of salient points; for instance – accident statistics, in proportion to fleet size. ATSB are big on 'statistics' and when you get down to numbers and the 'type' of frequent LSA accident and serious injury, you have to wonder whether ATSB is 'frustrated' or complicit. There are several mentions on the ATSB web site of 'technical assistance' being provided to the RA Oz 'investigators, but no follow up reports. Then there are no 'identified; investigators mentioned which means the qualification and experience of those investigating cannot be readily and openly assessed. RA Oz most certainly do not provide a list of accredited investigators and they do not publish the results of the investigations. WTD?

[Image: D3gYNu5UwAAVrqX.jpg]

"History shows that where ethics and economics come in conflict, victory is always with economics. Vested interests have never been known to have willingly divested themselves unless there was sufficient force to compel them."― Bhim Rao Ambedkar

That, standing alone is cause for real concern. Anyone operating an air-frame / engine LSA has a right to understand not only what caused the accident, the integrity of the investigation and, if needs be, the qualification of the IIC: if only for insurance purposes and coroners court. 

This rummaging around for information is where P2's and my own pathways met. I was concerned about the 'suitability for purpose' of the LSA fleet, the design philosophy and risk assessment, the various types of certification needed to meet different 'intended' operational criteria. Three areas of concern, in non technical language (i) air-frame structural life (fatigue) forecast based on intended (design) use: (ii) 'repair ability' and limitations on repeat repair: (iii) fit for intended purpose.

Much of this comes into the 'certification' of aircraft. An aircraft may be designed and 'certified' for a specific role and that role only. Much depends on whether the aircraft is to be used for 'commercial' purpose or private use or both. It is alarming to discover that RA Oz have the authority to 'certify' aircraft. Once again I find no published list and qualification of those who 'certify' the LSA, and how and to what purpose. The Bristell being an example – the mark and model 'certified' is the retractable undercarriage model; originally certified by the Brits for 'pleasure and leisure'. 

[Image: RAA-Bristell-cert-702x1024.jpg]

Ref: https://t.co/q1RfnE3VCA?amp=1 

P2 is working through that puzzle as the RA Oz aircraft is different – but the type certificate, issued by Israel has been 'accepted' by RA Oz. If one considers flight training as a commercial operation; then not only has there been an error in RA Oz certification, but in the intended use for which the aircraft was intended and originally certified.

By now, you're probably cow eyed with boredom; for this I apologise. However, even by the ATSB weird sisters accounting ledger and Jonathan (where's me marbles) Alec's peculiar circular arguments on accident research; one thing sticks out like the proverbial dog's whatsits. RA Oz in it's current format is 'wrong'. SOAR being the classic example. The minister has hired the RA Oz tea lady as an adviser; CASA won't get stuck in despite much more draconian action being taken for much lesser accident rates than RA Oz generate; ATSB cannot independently assess the crash reports – even the fatal ones; and, there's a bunch of kids out there (or was) teaching student pilots to fly in aircraft which were never designed to take flight school beating – year in – year out. Or was it?

MTF on this as we collect and collate 'expert' data – particularly on 'certification'. It's probably all kosher – but something, somewhere, is 'off'. I've said it before – I don't have a quarrel with private LSA, think its great for a person to buy an aircraft and go flying – no problem. But when you have large commercial operations, with a high accident rate using a LSA in a manner which was never envisioned or designed for – and no open publication of accident report – it sorta looks a bit 'odd' minister – don't it?

There ramble over; it helps to draft it, precursor to a Senate submission perhaps – we shall see. P2 and I will keep digging about while we wait on expert, qualified opinion. We seem to have the time to do it now. Amazing ain't it – dream of a life of idle luxury – every minute of every day spent as pleased you best, then it happens – Arrrggghhh!

Aye well the Devil makes work for idle hand – my clock awaits,

Stay well – Selah.

(03-30-2020, 07:09 AM)P7_TOM Wrote:  “and the lawyers have been at it with both hands.”

The boys are on a learning curve and its quite a journey. Will it change anything? Will the likes of SOAR have to reassess the 'suitability', integrity and fitness for purpose of the aircraft they use to train future pilots. I doubt it. Will CASA put the heavy boot of 'safety' down and return RA Oz to its proper design function? Will airworthiness step in before something comes apart in the air – fatigued beyond design intent?

Instructing a person to 'fly' a particular type of LSA is one very acceptable thing. Extending the notion to teach flying to many, using a fleet of LSA is an entirely different matter. Maximum fees for a tick-a-box service, minimum costs for provision of same in a high risk fleet. When used for design purpose,  (light sports and recreational)  LSA such as the Bristell will safely serve for the life of the aircraft, the accident survivabilty quotation seems to be robust. The question mark hangs over whether or not the aircraft can survive  long term the beating served up as a training aircraft, intensively used. Let me explain:-

Charlie buys a LSA and is taught to fly it by an experienced instructor – Off he goes to enjoy his sport and recreational flying, having been made very aware of the limitations and margins the aircraft has. In a normal situation, Charlie will perhaps practice one or even two 'forced landings' leading up to a check flight – low risk exercise – he understands the need for accurate speed control and is practised on type. Young Spotty on the other hand is a student with NDI. Sent Solo and maybe even to practice forced landings- or whatever. Engine fails or, more likely – during practice the aircraft is high and slow – in short, at the critical, minimum speed for landing 30 or 50 feet above the ground – it quits flying about then – crunch. When you have many such students practising similar exercises, in a speed critical, unforgiving, high risk aircraft the mathematical chances of a smash increase. This, even before you consider the fatigue life of an airframe being subjected to rough' handling day in day out. The percentage chances of accident increased, without doubt, the accident rates prove this. 

“K” - The first question being, where was the accident report? I did look long and hard – but nary a sign of that elusive document did I find. It may well be lurking in some festering pile or another –

We may safely identify that particular festering pile – the 'Privacy Act'. The current FOI request from AOPA is (IMO) an odds on bet to be knocked back. 'Enthusiastic' compliance with this 'Act' provides all manner of protection and to legally challenge that, particularly when ministerial support is a foregone conclusion, firmly closes the door on any chance of investigating the 'investigation'. Anyway, the 'book' is open on the AOPA FOI request; no doubt 'K' will set the odds shortly. Grr8 system though – RA Oz in breach of that Act, deemed illegal if they open the books. Wow! How good a defence is that?.

“K” - Much of this comes into the 'certification' of aircraft. An aircraft may be designed and 'certified' for a specific role and that role only. Much depends on whether the aircraft is to be used for 'commercial' purpose or private use or both.

Ah, yes but: “manufacturer” certification is the name of the game, particularly for LSA. Its a game of thrones and once again, the terrifying 'legal' costs involved to nail down a departed manufacturer will serve those avoiding responsibility for certification. Of course CASA is at the bottom of this pile of nonsense, but anyone with a spare million or two could probably win the verdict – which would change absolutely nothing. When next the Monday comes around the same crew will be seen washing their hands at the trough of plenty. 

IMO “K” there is no hope of sanity. Not while the minister appears to be happily held in thrall by the glamour and seductive advertorials which allow self promotion. Hearing 'advice' which will not burst his happy bubble. I wish you well on the quest and I doubt not that you fellahs' will plumb the depths of this 'wrong thing'. But then what? I can't see this current village idiot, posing as a well informed minister, caring about ensuring flight training is properly conducted in aircraft suitable for the purpose. Can you....?

“The powers of Evil can take many forms. Remember that, Sir Henry, when you're at Baskerville Hall. Do as the legend tells and avoid the moor when the forces of darkness are exalted.” 

Handing over -.-.  .-.  .-  –..    -.--

Addendum -

White hats of the world – FCOL Unite.

Gentlemen. “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party”

The phrase originated as a typing exercise – I am certain that if, as at school, you type it out 100 times; not only will your typing skills improve – but – the message contained therein may resonate. It may even lead to 'action'.

It is the time for action; today would be good, but tomorrow will suffice; no later though, for it may well be too late.

'We' @ AP have been on a journey – and what a journey it has been. Seeking opinion and cold hard facts to back it up has been a most a global endeavour. I propose not to weigh you down with the reams of 'rock solid' research and data collected. I will simply state my opinion and leave it to your own sound judgement and common sense to decide whether the game is worth the candle. 'We' most certainty believe it is and will be putting our paperwork where it may do some good. If we must stand as Robinson Carusoe, then we will.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

In the beginning, there was an excellent thing; rules were relaxed to allow 'home made' aircraft to be made and there were many superb aircraft built – then came 'experimental' aircraft – in short; build it, fly it and, if you came to a full stop in a paddock somewhere; so be it etc.

A spin off of this was the Light Sports Aircraft – LSA. About then the Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAAus) came into being. Why not? Many folk love to fly, and where's the harm in a relaxed medical standard which allows a person to buy/ build a LSA and commit recreational aviation all day long? There is none – same as gliding great fun, good social and educational benefits – great idea. Self administering, not for profit – brilliant. Enter the dragon. Perversion of the intent and purpose – for profit. (A SORE point?).

Now, I know, for a certain, demonstrable, supportable fact that many LSA are built under manufacturer 'self certification'. To acquire such an approval certain hurdles must be jumped (hoops if you prefer). There are, cast in stone such things. Once that approval is issued – the 'official' authority is, well and truly, off the legal hook. So, the old saw 'caveat emptor' takes precedence. Joe Blogs buy's a lemon – no harm done. Joe gets killed flying (in recreational mode) in his aircraft – no skin off – except Joe's. So far - so good. Some, only a few, but some aircraft have an 'ugly' corner in the 'manufacturer certified' flight envelope; such as in the stall spin quadrant of speed limitations; some are even peculiar in the weight/ balance area. Not a problem to the owner, or to the experienced, informed pilot. Flight is undertaken 'at your own risk'. Some girls do – some girls don't -

But. And this is a bloody big but, when a clinical analysis of these aircraft, these LSA is taken, matters aeronautical begin to look a bit thin in the 'safety' department – anorexic in fact. The body count testament to the concerns: and there are a few.

RAAAus may be the ministerial flavour of the past year, Hell, he even hired their office girl (at a very good salary) as an adviser – I just hope he's getting the right advice.

There are four serious matters which the current incumbent needs to ponder: to wit:-

I) The cost v value of 'training' received by new start pilots. The inflated costs of LSA aircraft hire against the costs of 'traditional' training aircraft. This measured against the additional costs to be met when converting a 'recreational' pilot 'certificate' into a basic CASA Private Pilot Licence. My calculations, based against a 'standard' FAR 23 based aircraft training syllabus at the local flying school indicate a rip off of not only a fiscal nature – which could be lived with if the product was superior– but to produce an essentially inferior (not their fault) pilot trained in an aircraft designed and certified as a 'recreational' aircraft leaves many questions unanswered. 

2) There are very good, sound (experienced based) reasons why it costs millions to 'certify' an aircraft such as the humble PA28 or C172. They are 'tested' to a FAA (23) standard. It costs money, real money to do this. The simple fact that I would, quite happily take my nearest and dearest on a joy flight in a well maintained C172/PA28 of a 1960's vintage speaks volumes. There is no way I'd even contemplate using a Bristell/Foxbat or similar. Why? Well, they ain't 'normal' as understood by professionals, within their flight envelope, development or certification are they?

3) It may seem, to the minister, to be a glamorous 'photo-op' to be seen in a cockpit of a LSA. And so it would be to the general public. However; to aviation professionals, world wide, it is seen as the minister being part of a very ugly, dangerous system which is, within a hairsbreadth of being labelled, by professionals - as bordering on a scam.

4) Airworthiness – is a big subject. Air-frame fatigue and 'vulnerability' (Foxbat undercart for e.g.) The integrity of the aircraft in a crash situation which may mean the slim margin between life and death is not a factor to be treated in a Cavalier fashion. It matters. Engines do (occasionally) falter or fail. Landing 'dead stick' in a paddock remains a skill. Shame to get it all right, land safely and then have the air-frame kill you as it crumples.

There is a very good reason ATSB exists. Pilots and operators of aircraft MUST know exactly why an accident occurred. How else is industry to learn how to mitigate, contain and control the risks? If this minister does nothing else of value during his tenure he MUST ensure that accident reports are 'professionally' provided, by competent, qualified, named investigators and that the results are published. How else are we to maintain 'safety'?

I believe there are still some professionals in CASA, I also believe that within the ATSB there are some, probably frustrated, professionals. I know, for certain sure that within the professional pilot, test pilot, certification engineer, design guru and certificate approval experts, flight instructors and even the lowly pilots that tries to fly 'em – there are deep concerns.

RAAus in its current configuration and 'importance' should not be advising a crown minister.

Fair warning – this will be developed into a case to answer. Time for the 'authority' to get off it's collective and actually be 'the safety agency' it claims to be. Get off your arses!

Toot – toot. (PWP) - blame TOM.

#SBG post-editorial dots & dashes - Part II

Ref: #SBG post-editorial dots & dashes??

(04-01-2020, 08:25 PM)Kharon Wrote:  Addendum -

White hats of the world – FCOL Unite.

Gentlemen. “Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of the party”

The phrase originated as a typing exercise – I am certain that if, as at school, you type it out 100 times; not only will your typing skills improve – but – the message contained therein may resonate. It may even lead to 'action'.

It is the time for action; today would be good, but tomorrow will suffice; no later though, for it may well be too late.

'We' @ AP have been on a journey – and what a journey it has been. Seeking opinion and cold hard facts to back it up has been a most a global endeavour. I propose not to weigh you down with the reams of 'rock solid' research and data collected. I will simply state my opinion and leave it to your own sound judgement and common sense to decide whether the game is worth the candle. 'We' most certainty believe it is and will be putting our paperwork where it may do some good. If we must stand as Robinson Carusoe, then we will.

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.”

In the beginning, there was an excellent thing; rules were relaxed to allow 'home made' aircraft to be made and there were many superb aircraft built – then came 'experimental' aircraft – in short; build it, fly it and, if you came to a full stop in a paddock somewhere; so be it etc.

A spin off of this was the Light Sports Aircraft – LSA. About then the Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAAus) came into being. Why not? Many folk love to fly, and where's the harm in a relaxed medical standard which allows a person to buy/ build a LSA and commit recreational aviation all day long? There is none – same as gliding great fun, good social and educational benefits – great idea. Self administering, not for profit – brilliant. Enter the dragon. Perversion of the intent and purpose – for profit. (A SORE point?).

Now, I know, for a certain, demonstrable, supportable fact that many LSA are built under manufacturer 'self certification'. To acquire such an approval certain hurdles must be jumped (hoops if you prefer). There are, cast in stone such things. Once that approval is issued – the 'official' authority is, well and truly, off the legal hook. So, the old saw 'caveat emptor' takes precedence. Joe Blogs buy's a lemon – no harm done. Joe gets killed flying (in recreational mode) in his aircraft – no skin off – except Joe's. So far - so good. Some, only a few, but some aircraft have an 'ugly' corner in the 'manufacturer certified' flight envelope; such as in the stall spin quadrant of speed limitations; some are even peculiar in the weight/ balance area. Not a problem to the owner, or to the experienced, informed pilot. Flight is undertaken 'at your own risk'. Some girls do – some girls don't -

But. And this is a bloody big but, when a clinical analysis of these aircraft, these LSA is taken, matters aeronautical begin to look a bit thin in the 'safety' department – anorexic in fact. The body count testament to the concerns: and there are a few.

RAAAus may be the ministerial flavour of the past year, Hell, he even hired their office girl (at a very good salary) as an adviser – I just hope he's getting the right advice.

There are four serious matters which the current incumbent needs to ponder: to wit:-

I) The cost v value of 'training' received by new start pilots. The inflated costs of LSA aircraft hire against the costs of 'traditional' training aircraft. This measured against the additional costs to be met when converting a 'recreational' pilot 'certificate' into a basic CASA Private Pilot Licence. My calculations, based against a 'standard' FAR 23 based aircraft training syllabus at the local flying school indicate a rip off of not only a fiscal nature – which could be lived with if the product was superior– but to produce an essentially inferior (not their fault) pilot trained in an aircraft designed and certified as a 'recreational' aircraft leaves many questions unanswered. 

2) There are very good, sound (experienced based) reasons why it costs millions to 'certify' an aircraft such as the humble PA28 or C172. They are 'tested' to a FAA (23) standard. It costs money, real money to do this. The simple fact that I would, quite happily take my nearest and dearest on a joy flight in a well maintained C172/PA28 of a 1960's vintage speaks volumes. There is no way I'd even contemplate using a Bristell/Foxbat or similar. Why? Well, they ain't 'normal' as understood by professionals, within their flight envelope, development or certification are they?

3) It may seem, to the minister, to be a glamorous 'photo-op' to be seen in a cockpit of a LSA. And so it would be to the general public. However; to aviation professionals, world wide, it is seen as the minister being part of a very ugly, dangerous system which is, within a hairsbreadth of being labelled, by professionals - as bordering on a scam.

4) Airworthiness – is a big subject. Air-frame fatigue and 'vulnerability' (Foxbat undercart for e.g.) The integrity of the aircraft in a crash situation which may mean the slim margin between life and death is not a factor to be treated in a Cavalier fashion. It matters. Engines do (occasionally) falter or fail. Landing 'dead stick' in a paddock remains a skill. Shame to get it all right, land safely and then have the air-frame kill you as it crumples.

There is a very good reason ATSB exists. Pilots and operators of aircraft MUST know exactly why an accident occurred. How else is industry to learn how to mitigate, contain and control the risks? If this minister does nothing else of value during his tenure he MUST ensure that accident reports are 'professionally' provided, by competent, qualified, named investigators and that the results are published. How else are we to maintain 'safety'?

I believe there are still some professionals in CASA, I also believe that within the ATSB there are some, probably frustrated, professionals. I know, for certain sure that within the professional pilot, test pilot, certification engineer, design guru and certificate approval experts, flight instructors and even the lowly pilots that tries to fly 'em – there are deep concerns.

RAAus in its current configuration and 'importance' should not be advising a crown minister.

Fair warning – this will be developed into a case to answer. Time for the 'authority' to get off it's collective and actually be 'the safety agency' it claims to be. Get off your arses!

Toot – toot. (PWP) - blame TOM.

21 years (and counting) of an open (exploited) safety loop??

An addendum to addendum post "K" :- 

https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...4#pid11204

Quote:[Image: RAA-Bristell-cert-702x1024.jpg]

Links: 1) http://www5.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/cth/...62apa.html
2) Refer here: https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2018L00070

Quote:(f)       an aeroplane:
             (i)   of a type for which a type certificate, a certificate of type approval or an equivalent document has been issued by CASA, a foreign country’s NAA or a competent issuing authority; and
            (ii)   that has been manufactured for sale by the holder of a certificate, or an equivalent document, permitting the manufacture of aeroplanes of that type and issued by CASA, a foreign country’s NAA or a competent issuing authority; and..

3) https://auntypru.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/01/16.3.99-Minister-John-Anderson-to-DS-CASA-Chairman-re-ultralighs.pdf

Plus refer: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...2#pid10952

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKzODRuZD64ACT2te00NM...tBERBogA&s]

[Image: ds-up.jpg]
Ref: ToARE: Part III & 16.3.99 - Minister John Anderson to DS CASA Chairman re ultralights & https://www.dicksmithfairgo.com.au/wp-co...ooklet.pdf

MTF...P2  Tongue

[Image: SBG-5420.jpg]
Ref: Coronavirus-related reductions prompt Angel Flight to step in & Angel Flight joins Battle against the VirusKarma home to roost for St Commode and the Hooded Canary  

“Irony is wasted on the stupid.”

The American elite is almost beyond redemption. Moral relativism has set in so deeply that the gilded classes have become incapable of discerning right from wrong. Everything can be explained away, especially by journalists. Life is one great moral mush--sophistry washed down with Chardonnay. The ordinary citizens, thank goodness, still adhere to absolutes.... It is they who have saved the republic from creeping degradation while their 'betters' were derelict.”

Dickens: even back then clearly saw the road ahead. You can easily fit anyone of our 'big three' safety agencies, the department and; of course our 'political elite' into the prose. Try it:-

But, what of irony? I doubt the irony of Angel Flight stepping into the breach unaided, un sponsored, seeking only to fulfil their stated reason for existence, at no cost to the tax payer will penetrate the self aggrandisement bubble our minister and his important 'advisers' live in. It bloody well should. 

[Image: Ministerial-softcock.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-29-09-19-a-non-...what-cost/

“Man, proud man, drest in a little brief authority, most ignorant of what he's most assured, glassy essence, like an angry ape, plays such fantastic tricks before high heaven, as make the angels weep.” ― William Shakespeare, Measure for Measure

And, so should this pretend scared rabbit of a minister. Well, him and his top safety advisers. Angel flight got a hell of a drubbing – due to two clearly defined cases of 'pilot error'. It was a 'big deal' and the pathetic, risible rhetoric of Aleck and the 'statistical' wizards from ATSB went ahead and monkeyed with the law to make sure Angel Flight was put back 'in its place'. Not one skerrick of 'operational' or preventative advice was rendered to assist in preventing a known killer claiming more victims – i.e. VFR into IMC. Not one word of 'advice' on restraining 'get there it is'. Nope , none of that.

[Image: Angel-Karma-1024x671.jpg]

“by that sin fell the angels.” ― William Shakespeare, Henry VIII

Irony upon irony drift past, ignored by those in a self righteous stupor; the insult and injury done to fine organisation a forgotten thing. Yet, when the crisis came; such sage advice as 'use regular public transport flight' becomes meaningless – guess who is out there, for no pay, no gain, no glory, no glossy photo spread: Ayup – Angel Flight.

But wait: there's more. One of the most bizarre parallels emerging out of this latest ministerial embarrassment is 'statistics'. Those weird lies and damned lies the ATSB wunderkind love to use to support bollocks have left just one or perhaps two serious questions begging answers. For instance:-

The ministerial flavour of the month is LSA as espoused by RA Oz. So enamoured of the LSA outfits and the great photo opportunities presented – and the access to 'easy money' that our witless wonder boy from Wagga Wagga has hired the Ra Oz tea lady as an adviser. I wonder what advice she would offer to combat the stark (statistical) reality of fatal and serious accidents count by the outfits operating in a loop hole (with tacit approval) against the Angel Flight two, which were pilot error. The ratio is about 4:1 at the moment. Hard to be concise – there are no accident reports to read from RA Oz even on the fatal. Yet there are ATSB 'reports' and even 'statistics' to support the outrageous ATSB and CASA claims that increased engine maintenance will fix all Angel Flight's problems. Lunacy.

Ref: Angel Flight Australia - "Believe in Angels" & https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus.../&sid=0000

“We all are men, in our own natures frail, and capable of our flesh; few are angels.” ― William Shakespeare, Henry VIII

Seriously – its Nucking Futs. Yet here we are in the midst of a small crisis; and who is quietly getting on with assisting our country men (and women) get supplies and their sick and injured to hospital for treatment. Don't see too many LSA weighing in and RA Oz is too busy bleating for money to be concerned about a family on a remote station, somewhere between Alice Springs and Bourketown with a child needing to be flown to hospital for treatment. Angel Flight don't beg government assistance; Angel Flight don't charge for service – they just do what is necessary, vital and humanitarian. Humbly with a good heart. (RFDS separate Gold Star and Choc Frogs to follow).

Aye well. Probably banged on more than I should – but the treatment difference between Buckley and SOAR, combined with the insult and bullshit Angel Flight received and the serious question marks hovering over RA Oz deserve open examination, at the highest levels. That, stand alone is enough to get my fighting boots out of storage – but there is one final insult which cannot, nor will be ignored. A minister who hides behind a woman's skirts. The witless wonder from Wagga now has the inestimable McDonald to deliver his puerile messages. Gutless – Oh yeah. Brainless – certainly. I could expand that line – but I'm sure my thoughts on this are clear enough. If not, send me note for the full version.

Ignore the following if it pleases; 'tis but a whimsy of my own.

Enough – back to more sanguine thoughts. Artists (not the ministerial bullshit type) – nor the daubers of paint; but the 'real McCoy' in the true sense of the word. I met the real thing this week, blown away, impressed don't get close. Mind blowing is closer. I managed to 'make' the glass doors for my Grandfather clock – workman like – Journeyman quality – not 'master'. It was a struggle, the accuracy and 'sensitivity' required, to the wood being worked was incredible. But, I know when to stop: there is no way I was going to carve the twiddles and whatnot's for 'the crown'. So; I begged a favour from P7, who had a mate; an old fellah, master wood carver. Contact was made and wood was discussed. I told him what I had and he agreed to pitch up next day. Tea for him, coffee for me and into the workshop we went. He spent a half hour, without a word, looking at my offered wood. Then, ambled outside (dogs following) to his wagon and brought a billet; politely put mine back on the shelf and sat down to work. Harry Potter – eat your heart out. I sat enthralled and watched effortless, wonderful, no cussing 'magic' happen before my eyes. He stayed for an Ale and a smoke with P7 and I. Me quiet, those two understood each other very well. “Not too bad” quoth this worthy as the dogs and I walked back to his wagon. He smiled, winked, nodded and disappeared. P7 said the only thing that mattered – 'he wouldn't have done it for a rubbish job, and he gave you the wood”. So colour me happy, humbled and a little better educated in just what it means to be a 'master of your craft'.

Selah :
Oh, and wash your paws.

[Image: sbg-12420.jpg]
Ref: Under the cover of COVID-19: Dr A response 

As time goes by: 

No longer do I rely on the soulless digital cock on the computer face to let me know that life ticks by; one tock at a time. No longer is the only noise intrusion into the solitude of the stable an occasional horse fart or dog scratching; no Sir. My wonderful clock measures the hours of life with it's irresistible , reassuring, almost subliminal, whispered noises. I've come to rely on and measure time by those sounds. I catch myself looking up just before the quarter hour is (gently) announced – it confirms my own appreciation of time passing, with unerring precision and accuracy. Which brings me to the point of my ramble.

Time – and timing. Industry has gone into a tail spin. There may be some rough, rotten times for many ahead: we shall see. I for one do not believe the doom and gloom forecasts. Life at the moment is like being on hold. We've all been there; the gross cost of 'waiting' - on hold – if it were ever calculated in man hours/ dollars would shock the nation. 

Ref: https://auntypru.com/may-the-fool-ask-a-question/

Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-3-03-2019-or-ra...less-vain/

[Image: 10264.jpg]

“The cost of a thing is the amount of what I will call life which is required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long run.” ― Henry David Thoreau, Walden

But, I wonder, is now not a good time for the industry to take the Bull by the horns. Get behind Angel Flight, support AOPA; or get busy with a submission to McDonald. With time to spare I have been reading through our research data. I've time travelled back almost 40 years, every decade presents the same breadcrumb trail, the same jig-saw picture and; most alarmingly the same (give or take the odd flight of rhetoric) pallid, useless results. The only real thing that's changed is the 'power base' and the budgets. We have an aviation authority which can write law, without the benefit of parliamentary scrutiny, debate or a god damn question being asked. Strict liability for all – how's that happen? Angel Flight the quintessential case. I'm sure many will get the message without any need for expansion. So!

Ref: https://auntypru.com/and-thus-i-clothe-m...-villainy/

Ref: https://auntypru.com/not-only-captive-cu...loving-it/

[Image: 656983.jpg]

“I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.
"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us.” ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

We have time to think it all through – great. But, we also have three, very small windows to climb into. There is also the distinct possibility that a vital, national industry may collapse if the changes are not rung – and soon. What is the fool rambling on about? Good question. I shall construe:-

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...09#pid7109

[Image: 289513.jpg]

“You may delay, but time will not.” ― Benjamin Franklin

Item 1. There is a new breeze blowing through the DoIT. Sane, rational and cognisant of the tangled web our old mate Murky spun. Logical, long awaited changes to the 'Act' have been bandied about – change is mooted, get behind it. That change was first mentioned in 1999. Nothing concrete you understand: not yet – but IMO someone has put a fox in the CASA chook shed. We shall see; but if common sense is to prevail – the time to draft those submissions is now. The 'Act' is unconstitutional, the 'Act' really only pins CASA to one 'responsibility' but grants autonomous power, without responsibility for much, much more. Time to put a stopper in that Genie's bottle.

Ref: https://auntypru.com/canonization-aye-use-the-big-ones/

“The future is uncertain but the end is always near.” ― jim morrison

Item 2. The lucrative contact of St. Commode, patron saint of aviation safety will not be renewed. That, whether he like it or not. His track record is appalling; things done to ensure safety or improved conditions for industry; or anything worthwhile at all make for a very, very short list. A good riddance I'd say.

[Image: Acting-Prime-Minister-Michael-McCormack-...424808.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/and-the-angels-wept/
“The strongest of all warriors are these two — Time and Patience.” ― Leo Tolstoy, War and Peace

Item 3. Like it or not – at the end of the shift the incumbent minister is responsible for the aviation industry. No matter how much he may wriggle and dance - . Blaming advice and relying on CASA to keep his arse out of the flames is not a defence. Ignorance never was. Ignorance may be forgiven provided restitution is made. How? Bleats our little lost sheep. The answer is so ducking easy and obvious, it seems too good to be true, to an uneducated halfwit. We shall explain, in aviation terms:-

There is a problem. First, correctly identify 'the problem'. Second do what is necessary to remedy that clearly identified problem. Ministerial problems are small; appoint a head of CASA who knows what to do – a real director. Would the minister fly in an aircraft crewed by folks without qualification or experience? No. then why get inboard. Then, there is the board to consider – why not appoint 'qualified' folk with experience to that board? There is, believe it or not, some real talent and 'can-do', clear sighted folk out there who could make a real difference. Off the top of my head David Forsyth, Ken Cannane, Doc Gates, just for example, from the great wealth of experienced folk who could turn it all around in a political heartbeat. The likes of Alec, Crawford and their catamites are simply not required. Look at it this way. I know sweet sod all about brain surgery – I don't. BUT, if I were to be responsible for the health and well being of those who needed the surgery – would I hire the local Plumber and his mate to see the job done right? Or, perhaps, no matter the cost or embarrassment would I hire the best in the business to make sure sanity prevailed. No brainer really – is it.

Difficult week this one. No BRB – no IOS and no darts. Woe is me. TOM dropped in – we had a round (or two) of darts and did the keg justice. He had the honour of winding up my clock and setting it to task. Most pleasant interlude, a glass of fine Ale, a cigar; he set the pendulum to work and we spent a quiet five minutes listening and watching as the quarter hour slowly approached. “Ah the Bells” we said – simultaneously. “Cheers, to job well done” he said. “Not even for a King's ransom will I ever do it again” was my response. The 'youngest' tool I used on that job was a 1910 Stanley #4½ smoother, the oldest an 1830 rebate plane; every saw needed a sharpening. Oh, and yes, the dogs have moved camp to be closer. Smart animals – of a much underrated intelligence.

Selah...

[Image: sbg-19420.jpg]
Ref: https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nationa...54h6a.html & https://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/234764 & https://twitter.com/M_McCormackMP/status...0753310720

There are two ends of a plank!

Apprentices learn this harsh fact of life at an early age. So intent on steering a long board around a job site, keeping the front end out of bother, t'uther end is forgotten about. I've even seen one bloke who, when his name was called, would turn round to see who called – shouldn't laugh – but you do. It is all too easy to forget that the 'back end is travelling in an opposite direction. A life lesson, perhaps worth remembering as it metaphorically applies to a lot of situations. 

[Image: 9b23eeb05f93c434fd62d09d0a758ec4-e1587471322116.jpg]

[Image: 3047.jpg]

“The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger--but recognize the opportunity.” ― John F. Kennedy

Gold star and a Tim Tam for Paul Tyrrell – CEO of the Australian Helicopter Industry Association, a man who can manage both ends of the plank. The short, but very much to the point submission made to the 20/20 hindsight RRAT inquiry sums up the industry situation very clearly :-

[Image: gallery-011.jpg]
Ref: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus...ubmissions

[Image: 38285.jpg]

“Whenever we give up, leave behind, and forget too much, there is always the danger that the things we have neglected will return with added force.” ― Carl Jung, Memories, Dreams, Reflections

Excellent, professional summary – but what of the Amateur RA Oz plank? They seem to have forgotten the 'back end; so intent on taking the front end to where they imagine it should be, the back end is creating some serious concerns and has the potential to damage the hard won safety record of the light end on the the GA market. Read the recently issued statement .

[Image: 205.jpg]

“Almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creed into law if it acquires the political power to do so.” ― Robert A. Heinlein

While the AHIA are pleading a case for the regulatory boot to be eased, RA-Oz appear to be without too much in the way of let or hindrance to do pretty much as they please. Almost a law unto themselves. The notion of 'self administration is neither new, nor novel. The Gliding Federation have been managing it very well for decades; but the Gliders have not grown like Topsy into large, commercial operations – such as SOAR. With ministerial promotion, these outfits seem to be able to get away with stuff which got Angel Flight pilloried. When you examine the Buckley saga carefully, you see the danger. A properly constructed – by the 'book' compliant with CASA regulation flying school runs into all manner of obstacles – yet SOAR and Mildura and Tamworth sail happily through, with glossy photo ops for the minister. Aye well, so much for the front end of the RA Oz plank – let's have a quick squint at the back end.

Heck Field near Jacobs Well. Home of the salubrious Gold Coast Sports Flying Club. Recently a Pipistrel (Virus) took off from there, crashed and burned, killing one, seriously injuring another. After the accident, it follows that there should be an investigation, a fatal must involve the ATSB. We are informed that 'Consultants' will be assisting the police. Here the picture becomes cloudy. N.B. From here on we are not dealing with solid research – and only have half the picture; but what we have been able to gather is, IMO, enough to warrant at least some cursory 'official' investigation. So, hearsay from now.

It appears that the RA Oz 'investigators' are experienced folk, Chief Flying Instructors and the like (tick). These folk are given a proper training course by the people ATSB use and at the end of it are rubber stamped by ATSB (tick). So far so good. Enter the dragons. Money for investigation and 'support' from ATSB. Now I could be wrong here, but it seems that once the RA Oz investigator is turned loose, there is a limited budget and; should the conclusions reached be subsequently destroyed in Coroners court, the RA Oz bloke is not only strictly 'on his Pat Malone' and liable, but ATSB will wash their hands of it. There's more following on this when we get our facts straight; but for now at least, there are some big questions standing without answers. MTF.

[Image: f02400a287f475c21796d477fc241307.jpg]

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...1#pid11241

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...8#pid10438

There has been a fatal – it was another LSA involved. There has been a fire – it was another LSA. An engine failure is suspected – it is a Rotax model which has featured in many incidents. RA Oz deem that the results of 'their' investigation should be passed on to only their members. Is this good enough for a first world aviation community? 

I note poor old, hard working Hitch has been under the heavy legal guns this week. Not a pleasant experience. I can't imagine what poked the sleeping bear hard enough to anger it – perhaps ministerial sensitivity played a hand; or, maybe, a natural bad temper just lashed out at a defenceless intrusion. Not to worry Hitch – at least the heavies didn't beard you in a coffee shop and run you out of Dodge. 

[Image: AHIA.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...8#pid11248

Aye well – it's all interesting stuff, a by-blow of idle (well washed) hands and minds. Mine for not too much longer. I have been threatening to make a new draw for the workbench for a long time now. The plank is strapped to the roof rack – I shall be most careful – of both ends – when I carry it into the workshop – lest I forget – the back end. 

Selah.

P2 -  Big Grin

Ref: http://auntypru.com/theres-two-ends-to-a-plank/ -  Wink

[Image: SBG-260420.jpg]
Ref: Mick Mack sacrifices a Virgin for a REX?? https://www.afr.com/chanticleer/chaos-on...423-p54mlx & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2020-012/ & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2018-048/ 

Of Balance and the lack thereof. 

“Our heaven is their hell, said God. I like a balanced universe.” ― Margaret Atwood, The Tent

'Balance' is an often used word, it creeps into every aspect of daily life, from diet to rocket science, from budget to justice; and from sanity to madness. “While the balance of his mind was disturbed”.

[Image: 220px-Libra2.jpg]

Latin – Bi (twice or having two).  Lanx – Scale pan. Libra bilanx (having two scale pans).

This definition of 'balance' - “[a] situation in which different elements are equal or in the correct proportions” aptly defines that what should be – but ain't – in the way aviation Australian style is managed. The system is 'out of whack' is a comment I often hear; and 'tis true. When you look about, read through reports and study submissions dating from three decades ago until now, to some pretty heavy duty 'inquiry', the total lack of balance becomes apparent. One does not need to delve back into history to spot this; recent events merely reflect repetition of the same basic concerns, never properly redressed.

There's plenty of good comment knocking about, all relate to the glaring deficiencies which deeply affect the aviation industry (and probably the whole country – but that is outside of my remit). Within the last fortnight we have four almost perfect examples appearing which clearly define serious, three decades old flaws within the current system.

Air Traffic and airspace. There has been an incredible amount of money and time spent trying to 'sort out' airspace management. Instead of a serviceable, useful system we get stuck with Halfwit's wet dream of the 'One Sky' debacle and the huge debt that imposes. Then we have the tragic mid-air collision over Mangalore. Somehow, between 'Pie in the Sky' and parsimonious focus on bonus generation and a lack of controlled airspace where needed, the unthinkable in the modern era occurred. Four pilots dead. 

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...5#pid11255https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...0#pid11260 & https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items...collision/

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...9#pid11259 & https://auntypru.com/not-only-captive-cu...loving-it/

[Image: 1538.jpg]

“To maintain the P/PC Balance, the balance between the golden egg (production) and the health and welfare of the goose (production capability) is often a difficult judgement call. But I suggest it is the very essence of effectiveness.” ― Stephen R. Covey, The 7 Habits of Highly Effective People: Powerful Lessons in Personal Change

Accident Investigation. I don't believe I have read a satisfactory report from the ATSB in over a decade now. Under Hood's administration the quality and usefulness of reports has been sadly lacking. The nadir being achieved this past month – I can find three separate fatal accidents which involved 'engine failure' – ATSB reported that they were unable to define the cause of the failure. Seriously? The modern aero engine is a simple, robust, reliable thing – it has to be. Millions spent of design, testing and ensuring reliability, provided proper maintenance is carried out – as and when required. To add insult to injury, there are now fatal accidents which ATSB decline to investigate, preferring foist the responsibility onto other folk who may, or may not have a conflict of interest. Even the possibility of any thing other than an impartial, professional independent investigation is fraught with legal peril. Yet there it stands, while ATSB play around with statistics. It is way past the time when ATSB should be made truly independent – the NTSB model is the world best standard – and yet our politicians sit back, remote from the carnage, protected  in bi-part-insane detachment. 

Last, we have the masters of smoke and mirrors, the raconteurs, artful dissemblers and doyens of Faerie tale spinners. Here's a question – there's a choc frog in it so pay attention. Angel Flight had two VMC into IFR accidents (fatal) and got lumbered with increased engine maintenance; RAOz registered aircraft have racked up an impressive number of engine failures (some fatal) and nary a word of 'increased engine maintenance for their fleet. Maybe the balance of my mind is disturbed; but it don't seem right to me. Handing over.......

[Image: images-4.jpg]

[Image: sbg-15320-1024x709-1.jpg]

[Image: 975817.jpg]

“When you are inquiring into any subject, maintain a due regard to the arguments and objections on both sides of a question; consider, compare, and balance them well, before you determine for one side. It is a frequent, but a very faulty practice, to hunt after arguments only to make good one side of a question, and entirely to neglect and refuse those which favour the others side. If we have not given a due weight to arguments on both sides, we do but wilfully misguide our judgement, and abuse our reason by forbidding its search after truth.” ― Isaac Watts, Logic: The Right Use of Reason in the Inquiry After Truth

Aye, many passing strange things to ponder in the land of Oz. Perhaps the strangest of all is why government, despite a veritable mountain of evidence allow this industry to stagger along under the incredible burdens imposed. ATCO hogtied and mired in 'procedural' restriction, ATSB merrily skipping along the statistical road to perdition; and CASA – well; what more can be said  than that which is blindingly obvious to those prepared to take a clear look.  That's it – rant over.

But then, who am I to comment; I, who just yesterday shamelessly accepted a bribe. T'was a chocolate Easter egg bartered in exchange for my services. The door of a large 'Dolls House' has met with an unfortunate accident, a collision between a playful puppy and a responsible five year old. “Can you fix it – please” (cue sorrowful eyes) “ I can pay you” cue chocolate egg. So, P7 will find, sat on the workshop stool a relentless, unbending tyrant directing the slave work force, a large Dolls house parked on the bench, and my own poor self undertaking major structural repairs, while pretending not to notice, that the tyrant has spotted the paint tins on the shelf. Its going to be a long, hard day.

Selah.

[Image: SBG-030520-1024x724.jpg]

Ref: https://www.flightsafetyaustralia.com/20...omplicity/ & https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24362/aair...04_001.pdf & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...01977.aspx & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2017-057/

10 down: A bowl of Spaghetti seasoned with Fury?

[Image: LA-Times-Wed-Feb-5-2020_screenshot.jpg]

There it sits; covered in sauce, the fragrance of herbs and spices wafting through the cheese as steam. How does one begin the ultimate challenge of reassembling the bowl to original items? Extract each strand of Spag, clean it, dry it off and put it back in the packet, pristine? You simply can't; can you. Yet it is the closest, simple analogy I can find to describe Australian aviation oversight. Where does one even begin to unscramble the shambles? Currently, there are (metaphorically) three bowls of spaghetti on my desk.

The Air Services sea-food version, which smells slightly fishy. The ATSB vegan version which smells of old tennis shoes; or, the CASA offering which looks and smells like it came from a Kiddies play group learning to cook. (Sigh) - No matter, we must try to unravel the secrets of their recipes, it has to be done. So grab a fork and a large napkin, the bucket is handy under the bench

Let us begin in reverse order with the CASA offering. The inimitable Phil Hurst, with the full backing of his cast and crew, made the only statement which matters to a connoisseur. 

[Image: PH.jpg]
Ref: https://twitter.com/PhilHurst62/status/1...4060182528

Halle- bloody – lujah and Amen. Brilliant. Stellar. Wonderful. Finally, at long last; someone had the support (and balls) needed to tell CASA to bugger off. Ducking well done, Bravo, keys to the Tim-Tam cupboard. The real 'experts' in the field REJECT a CASA version of 'how to' and collectively stand up to say No-Way. Now how (finally) bloody good is that? How would thing's have be different if all industry experts had banded together and said 'No – unacceptable' and made it stick. Part 61 a classic example, everyone moans and groans, but very few said NO this is a crock as being totally unacceptable. Bugger off and come back with a semblance of reality.  – Wonderful stuff – finally. 

[Image: ATSB-crash-montage-1.jpg]
Ref: Riverland plane crash: Investigation into tragedy that killed three pilots may take a year to know cause & https://auntypru.com/sbg-13-10-19-o-war-...n-of-hell/

Perhaps, if a few more – like H. Leafblower Esq, spoke out, the tragic death of three pilots could have been avoided. The Ross Air crash of an out of control (by the book?) Conquest and the subsequent ATSB investigation may just, if a collective approach is used, be enough to put the alleged CASA 'experts' back in their box. 

HLB - “ATSB blaming the operator's ops manual is bullshit: For the purposes of the operation, CASA was the operator AND they had accepted those procedures in Rossair's manual. SG should never have been in that seat and should never have put himself, or those pilots, in that situation. He was the pilot in command.

I can fully and completely support the parts in bold.

HLB - “We have been doing Conquest endorsements in Australia since the first air frames were imported (ironically, by Rossair I think) in the 1970s. This is the first fatality. It speaks to the dwindling experience and judgement available in CASA, and the dwindling experience and judgement available in General Aviation at that time in particular, but across the last 20 years generally”

Aye; but. How many scribes, knocking out 'Check and Training Manuals' (CTM) has taken on the CASA FOI and said – 'that's rubbish' then refused to make the amendment required? No. Not very many. Why? Well, you see commercial reality always plays a big part. It is easier to accept the 'expert' (think Weeks) FOI opinion of how a thing should be done, get the tick and get on with getting the job done. Go along to get along rules.

HLB. - “CASA lacks the expertise, currency and testicular fortitude to provide industry development, preferring to pass the buck. It's time to ask Ben Cook, Tony Kern and other respected training leaders to lead a program to build industry capability.

Well said and - very nearly spot-on.

I intend to 'bang-on' now for a little while, So, stop here; or, grab a coffee. HLB leads us neatly to what I believe is the 'nub' of the Ross Air crash. Some of this is unsubstantiated, (legal advice is coming) – but for now, I'll trade without the finer points; seeking forgiveness later for any small E&OE. Starting with the fact that Ross Air have trained many Conquest pilots. Its a fair bet that much of their training methods have been copied; and adapted; why not? The interested reader must now carefully read the Ross Air (RA) training manual extracts from the ATSB report, I do mean carefully. Start with the firm idea that the Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM) is the only acceptable means of compliance. Anything outside of the AFM, without manufacturer 'approval' (no objection) for an amendment (procedure or action') is outside of Certification, then the proposed operation is illegal. A 'no objection' is required for anything – anything – to be done outside of the certification envelope. The pilot's bible, for the type is the AFM. Next in line is the Pilots Operating Handbook (POH). I am uncertain (for now) if the POH carries the same legal 'weight' as the AFM. It is always a good place to base a training regime. I note several differences between the CASA approved pilot check and training system and the POH mandated practice within the pilot qualification system. These 'differences' were, in all probability, scripted to satisfy a CASA officer. Were these 'differences' - outside both AFM and POH edicts brought into 'law' (approval) to 'satisfy' the CASA FOI (CYA) approval process? It would be both right and proper to examine the FOI qualifications, experience, training time on type and the CASA (FOI) reasoning which drew the training and qualification of pilots so far from the requirements of the AFM and the legal head of power for doing so.

End of No1 banging. I'm not done, not by a long march. The 'accident' scenario provided by ATSB. The temptation to call a well edited BOLLOCkS is great; but, we shall plod through this carefully edited report, particularly the actual flight phase and (once the BRB is back in the Boozer) provide some expert commentary. I've probably forgotten more about training pilots onto turbines than most FOI's know, so have my friends. More to follow? – Oh, you bet. Lots more. I'm just warming up; there's so much CASA generated crap published in FOM and C&T manuals – but enough. Shut the fool up...  Yeah, but – does not the Pel-Air accident have a similar flavour? MTF – a racing certainty.

[Image: Godley-e1588647868996.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...4#pid11274

Item next is the Godley Gobbledegook. WTD? How much did that graph cost and of what earthly (practical or intrinsic) value is it? Seriously. OK. So lets get a reality fix here. A graph shows, over a ten year period an increase in 'accident A'. Great, terrific, now we know and have identified a potential killer. The next graph would reflect good Safety Management System (SMS) action which stepped in after the second event to prevent the increase – ne se pas? So where, Oh where is the Godley graph showing how ATSB timely intervention 'nipped-in-the bud' a growing trend. The stellar efforts made on behalf of pro-active safety to prevent a recurrence. I have files going back thirty (yes 30) where ATSB have, despite graphs and 'statistics' failed, - dismally - to prevent an increasing trend in fatal accident – VFR into IMC for example. “ Here is the five year trend – HERE is how we reduced that trend to zero. What a graph, what a result that would be. But, I am of course dreaming of the NTSB approach – which is nowhere near the pitiful ATSB placebo of 'surreal' reality. Perhaps a dictionary version of 'reality' would assist. But,alas, then, there's Hood. Reality; what -  Haw haw – haw!

[Image: midair.jpg]
Ref: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/24535/AO200402797.pdf & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2020-012/ 

Which only leaves the ASA mess in a bowl, getting older and colder by the minute. The Mangalore mid air: a one in a million chance or a totally preventable accident? You do know the answer. So next time a fellah wearing green socks lobs into the ashtray, don't forget to mention it. Pity our hard working ATCO's, prevented from advising at Benalla – and those who watched a mid air, an in cloud the meeting of two air frames – unable (by law) to prevent it, with a quiet word. Safety or profit minister you cannot, realistically expect both for Christmas – you can't. Extend 'E' where required and bring 'A' to where it is most needed. What if there was a mid air over Hobart? How much succour will a few saved dollars, spent on bonus provide, when the what's it hits the windmill? It will you know. Mark my words – soon or late there will a bill, to be paid in blood and fire, which will become due.

That's it M'lud's. Lockhart may have kicked it off; Seaview may have been the catalyst, Pel-Air the last tolerated; but Ross Air must be the end of it. Too many, far too many funerals attended directly related to the complete and utter disaster Australia's fine record for excellence and safety has descended into.

Meanwhile – no names – someone backed a truck over two of my saw horses. The compound mitred joints take about a hour to remake x 4 = morning tea toward lunch. But, the moon is bright, a flat Westerly wind smells of snow and the mountains. Time to sharpen the log splitter (sharp file) and axe. Can hardly wait to light up the pot belly stove, lamps and sacrifice the waste of some fine timber in the flames. Aye Autumn. The season of mists etc......

[Image: 11978.jpg]

Season of mists and mellow fruitfulness,

Close bosom-friend of the maturing sun;

― John Keats, Complete Poems and Selected Letters

Selah.

[Image: sbg-100520.jpg]

“It's an ugly, dangerous business, Watson”.

I played around with the idea of redrafting and shaping the ATSB carefully edited placebo into a real report into a real fatal accident which claimed the lives of three experienced pilots. A routine assessment flight with a dual purpose – (a) to re-quantify a pilot on type for line operations and; (b) to qualify a pilot as a 'check-pilot' on type. But, it is far too serious an event to mess about with. In fact, it is almost too serious a matter for the Coroner to be handling alone.

Let us, just for the moment put aside the many peripheral issues attendant; there are many. But, in primus, the accident itself must be closely examined before anything else. Much depends on the Coroner. Anyone who does not know nor is aware of the undercurrents surrounding this event; or, a layman reading the ASTSB report could be forgiven for concluding one thing – pilot error – writ large. But was it? Really? What would a jury of qualified check and training pilots have to say about the event. No matter how well legally qualified a Coroner is, he simply cannot, not could possibly have the same depth and understanding of the situation as his jury would. 'Pilot-error' is an easy verdict; ATSB would have you believe it is so and the 'paperwork' is nicely arranged to lead a stranger to that conclusion. The 'balance of probability' is a strange and wonderful area into which 'we' must now stray.

[Image: SBG-131019-656294_1080x675-1024x640.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-13-10-19-o-war-...n-of-hell/

[Image: 23924.jpg]

“There comes a time when one must take a position that is neither safe, nor politic, nor popular, but he must take it because conscience tells him it is right.” ― Martin Luther King Jr., A Testament of Hope: The Essential Writings and Speeches

Consider this; having spoken (at length) with experienced simulator operators about the Conquest (C441) aircraft it can be said that with an engine set at 'flight idle' there is around about an 8 to 10 second window after which rudder control become ineffective; the use of aileron is, in this situation a known killer (technical). There are three qualified multi engine pilots on board who are very, very well aware of this fact. There were three qualified, competent men on board who fully understood that the 'zero thrust' setting was the only 'safe' option. ATSB are asking a jury to believe that three men, fully aware of the limitations and protocols would sit there, like stunned mullets, while the aircraft slipped away from being controlled - and did nothing. Ask yourself – on balance of probability, could this have happened? Is it likely? Three experienced men, a clear day, at least 600 feet to play with, two serviceable engines – and they 'lost it'. Oh, I think not.

“Conquest Simulator in America. They highlighted a lot of the weaknesses in the Conquests systems and indicated that the aircraft I was flying was not set up correctly and similar problems are encountered on a lot of high time Conquests as was all of Rossair's fleet”.

IMO, much higher on the list of 'probability' – Murphy's Law, once again prevailed. Something went wrong. It could be as simple as a fuel computer decided to quit without notice; or, any one of several systems decided now was the time to develop a problem. Who would know – ATSB, despite the very chequered maintenance history and the attendant 'money' problems associated with engine/ airframe maintenance seem to have by-passed several matters which could; just maybe, have created an in flight problem. There is anecdotal evidence that the aircraft's engine were 'in and out' of rig and generally messed about with. No blame but, things can and do get 'overlooked' when time and money problems are on the table. The old rule of the Sea – if it can go wrong it will at the most inconvenient moment. On balance, without evidence to the contrary, can we 'safely' rule out a mechanical failure? No, we dare not – not without proof positive. 

“Through pride we are ever deceiving ourselves. But deep down below the surface of the average conscience a still, small voice says to us, something is out of tune.” ― Carl Gustav Jung

Aye, something is 'out of tune' Well out IMO. Once you get past the slippery ATSB editorial analysis; there are lots of peripheral questions which are not answered. Like why would Ross Air take away a pilots home computer – claiming it was for the ATSB. Keep it a while “in a secure” lock up (did they have one?) when ATSB were surprised that they did not have it? Curious – it gets even more curious when you dig into the tale a little deeper; not my story. But it is one the which the Coroner should be obliged to evaluate. Not mark you that anything any Coroner has said in the past twenty years has made the slightest difference – but try they must.

From Up - 'Duck Pilot' : This accident should never of happened, CASA’s processes failed Steve and both of the two pilots who were tragically killed in this accident. The processes should never have allowed this training environment to occur.

Then this:-

Anon: -”Stephen Guerin at one stage was a Chief pilot of Rossair before CASA inspector.”

Anon: -Paul Daw was a Chief pilot of Air Charter which merged with Rossair, before CASA inspector.

Which brings us to Rumour and speculation. There is 'allegedly' a couple of 'E-mails' floating about the place which shed a new light on the 'why' of CASA's failure to get it right (again). An example paralleling the Pel-Air fiasco – it seems they knew all about the 'problems' within Ross Air; or so I'm told. Then there's the pitiful AFAP response – are they so dependant on their CASA members loot that they dare not become involved in anything related to pilots operating aircraft?

[Image: ao2017057_figure1_final_.jpg]
Ref: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items...e-failure/

“There is no witness so dreadful, no accuser so terrible as the conscience that dwells in the heart of every man.” ― Polybius

Oh; there's lots of peripheral stuff – was any of it contributory to the accident event? Who knows. One thing stands out like the proverbial dog's bollocks. The quality of the operations manual, the CASA sanctioned discontinuities and general confusion within those manuals left the aircrew essentially without clearly defined guidance, instruction and SOP. Back to the shades of Pel-Air.

[Image: REX_7260.jpg]

"They're certainly entitled to think that, and they're entitled to full respect for their opinions," said Atticus, "but before I can live with other folks I've got to live with myself. The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience.” ― Harper Lee, To Kill a Mockingbird

An essentially tarted up ATSB report which can and probably will lead a Coroner up the garden path of 'safety'; CASA covering it's sorry arse; operator gone with the wind – is everybody happy? Oh, yes M'lud – de ducking lighted we is..

That is enough ramble for me; I just don't believe the ATSB scenario. But; it matters not. I'm signing off here – the dogs can hear vehicles approaching – P7 and a couple of BRB heavies – come to drink my Ale and discuss matters aeronautical. Can't wait – Skype and all is OK but not the same as the real thing, sat in my stable. No where near the same. Must be P7 first – dogs exeunt stage right doing about 20 knots (he smuggles treats in for 'em).

If you wake at midnight, and hear a horse's feet,
Don't go drawing back the blind, or looking in the street;
Them that ask no questions isn't told a lie.
Watch the wall, my darling, while the Gentlemen go by!

Selah...

[Image: sbg-170520-1024x726.jpg]
Ref: Submission 12 - Phil Hurst and the AAAAs & https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/default/fi...sector.pdf & https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...124&page=5 

Of chickens and their eggs.

Ayup; here in Oz we have plenty of political chickens and they always seem to manage to lay an egg. One of the most massive, group efforts made by our political chickens is the Bipartisan behemoth of Aviation Safety. It is, truly a monolithic thing, constructed like the harbour bridge (which is still for sale by the way). But, at the first mention of 'aviation' – out come the bipartisan drums, whistles and flags and off they go – en mass – to wash their hands of anything to do with becoming involved. It always amuses me; there are hundreds of the buggers parked in the parliament who will kick up row over anything from the colour of the tea lady's boots to whether transgender males can breast feed their offspring – but mention the 'A' word – suddenly they all agree. 

Well, the chickens from those eggs are coming home to roost at a rapid rate – the aviation industry was on it's collective knees before the Covid thing – and is now hanging on for grim death. Whether our chickens believe it or not, an essential industry is almost extinct. It can be saved, because, if its not this country will be the poorer for the loss and every bloody fool politician who failed to act sensibly and realistically will carry the blame. There is however hope for salvation; provided someone has the balls and the brains to seek 'good advice' and have the courage to act on it. People like Tony Kern, Phill Hurst, Ken Cannane, John Sharp and half a dozen others I could mention could – provided they were supported, turn things from dust into gravy. Almost the whole industry and those who do; or would invest need only two things changed. Adoption of the NZ regulations and an overhaul of the way CASA conduct business i.e. a complete reform - from 'culture' to 'legal vulture'.

[Image: KC.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...1#pid11301 & https://amroba.org.au/wp-content/uploads...e-04-5.pdf 

[Image: PH-2.jpg]
Ref: Ref: https://auntypru.com/wp-content/uploads/...AAAA-1.pdf

To begin the salvation, the DoIt must rewrite the Air Navigation Act; make it constitutional and lay responsibility where it belongs. AMROBA spells it out clearly enough for even our doltish minuscule to puzzle out. We need to build investor confidence; they ain't stupid, and, they need a degree of legal certainty before backing a project. They also like to know  that the 'investment' will deliver a return – on time. This means certainty of operational approval in a reasonable, predictable time frame. Mission impossible as matters stand. It is way past the time when 'bipartisan' will do. There are some ducking big questions which need to be answered and urgent matters which demand political attention. So get on with it -whydontcha? 

[Image: EL9xN-xU8AAdWeX.jpg]

“Again why does the transport and aviation industry have to suffer due to the incompetence of a ribbon cutting, vip jet loving, former country town news paper editor with no credibility who only skill is donning an Elvis outfit and covering his arse from leadership coups #auspol https://twitter.com/ElysseMorgan/status/...8868689920

Ref: https://twitter.com/shannon_wells/status...2885213184

Not too much of a subject change; but the SBG was delayed while the BRB spent most of today 'examining' and discussing (lots of cussing) the ATSB report into the Ross Air crash. I'll try and keep this short.  One. The ATSB report has been dismissed as a well edited placebo, designed to minimise the extent to which CASA made a pigs ear of oversight and subtly lay blame at the aircrew feet. Two. Strong representation must be made by the families involved to the Coroner and make sure the inquest is widened out as far as possible, so that 'other' matters directly related to the event can be properly examined. Three: There exist several factors which while not directly associated with a narrow focus on the accident, in our collective opinion, formed part of the causal chain. These may not be directly connected with the in fight events of that day – but the company 'culture', maintenance issues, CASA's inaction and other related matters all played a part in a tragic, totally unnecessary fatal accident. A Senate inquiry will not suffice, the Pel-Air debacle clearly demonstrated what a toothless tiger looks like.

But enough – it has been a long hard day. I can't make politicians drop the lazy cop out of bipartisan 'carte blanche' allowing CASA to do whatever they please and get away Scot free. Reform of the Act, the CASA the ATSB and ASA has been needed for decades now. When we emerge from this virus scare; whats left of an ailing industry will need every bit of help it can get from the minister and the government. Hell's Bells all they need to do is hire the right people – industry people – folk who know which end the smoke comes out of. BI bloody partisan that.

[Image: PH.jpg]

Now, there is a new foal which needs to be seen to, the dogs have been patient and I need some air, a smoke and a quiet Ale (or two). Best crack on – Away dogs.

Selah.

[Image: sbg-240520-1024x723.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-22-12-19-a-stud...preads-it/ & Mick Mack a Muppet?? - Or a mouse??

[Image: SBG-050120-e1590319156747.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-5-01-19-why-is-it-so/  

Liar, liar, hair on fire. 

[Image: file-20191118-169393-x1173f.jpg]

Since the cave; mankind has held fire in awe and respect, along with a primal fear. Whether it is your favourite Elvis wig self combusting; or, the raging inferno of a massive bush fire, there has always been a need to manage and keep the fire daemon on a short leash. There cannot be too many Australians who have not witnessed the courage, skill and endurance of those who fought in the recent battles, to save lives, property and our national forests. One cohort of that effort were the 'fire bombers'. 

[Image: water12-640w.jpg]

[Image: 91899d5a9e0d9d8b015299196097d87e10dbb38a.jpg]

[Image: 3801.jpg]

But I wonder, how many Australians can truly value not only the skill and experience required to fly a small, heavily loaded aircraft through turbulence, smoke and heat at a low (tree top) level, repeatedly, but also, to be aware of the systems and mechanisms in place which ensure that the operation is conducted as 'safely' as possible. It is indeed a 'high risk' task, managing that risk requires some serious expertise and experience.

[Image: 2b89621c2639284866ead2b8a6d50a14.jpg]

[Image: 7751.jpg]

“We all live in a house on fire, no fire department to call; no way out, just the upstairs window to look out of while the fire burns the house down with us trapped, locked in it.” ― Tennessee Williams, The Milk Train Doesn't Stop Here Anymore

Experience and expertise – where can that be found? The minister and CASA would have you believe that it resides within their collective wisdom. This is a faerie story: spun to placate frightened, ignorant children. You will find, if you take a look behind the smoke and mirrors, that the real arbiters of risk management and operational expertise reside squarely within the industry itself; not in Canberra. The twelfth submission made, to yet another Senate aviation inquiry by the Aerial Application Association of Australia (AAAA) clearly and unequivocally demonstrates where the experience and expertise resides. The submission also clearly defines the industry wide dissatisfaction with CASA and the way that department conducts business. It also says why there is little to no respect for the edicts laid down by that organisation.  

AAAA - “CASA officer interpretations – an issue that was at the core of the ASRR Report findings and recommendations - individual officers within CASA continue to make interpretations that are not bound by regulatory heads of power, consistency, experience, sector knowledge or specific safety risks. It is opinion parading as policy – and frequently ill-informed opinion. CASA continues to lack a coherent, centralised policy interpretation and expertise centre to standardise regulation. Different offices have different interpretations, and generally CASA is not troubled by using subject matter experts that it may have on staff – as there is no centralised policy development system. In a modern regulator that had this pointed out to them in an independent review (the ASRR), serious questions must be raised about why this situation is perpetuated by senior management.” 

[Image: srp-ph.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-15-12-19-dead-h...g-thereof/

AAAA - “CASA still does not understand the difference between safety and compliance and continually considers itself to be the creator of safety, when in fact it is a well informed, safety motivated and guided industry – flying, maintaining and organising aviation operations – that creates safety. CASA clearly has an industry-accepted role in rule-setting, surveillance and enforcement – but it is industry that delivers safety. The dimension of the daunting task facing anyone in GA in simply absorbing, recalling and using the vast amount of written regulation of the industry, is now a safety impediment in its own right.”

If, (a big one) other branches of the aviation industry had the courage and determination to end this thirty year farce of 'reform' and bring CASA to it's senses, wrote a similar submission, clearly defining the problems the truer experts of industry had – perhaps, maybe – the government would be forced to drop the bloody silly bipartisan bollocks and give an ailing industry what it so desperately needs; a regulator capable of working, on an equal footing - with experts 'in the field'.

For example; in the last two years – how many 'accidents' could have been prevented by our parliamentary Bipartisan supported Muppet shows, we call 'air-safety' agencies? Across the whole spectrum of 'accident' we find three consistent elements involved at ground level. Take any one of the recent (within three years) and read the ATSB reports; carefully. Ross Air (MTF - lots) and Pel-Air classic examples of where CASA failed to act, with full knowledge that there were operational problems; a mid air collision which has been carefully ignored to avoid exposing the parsimonious, profit driven failings of our national air traffic control management etc. I could bang on and provide a dozen example which, honestly, should alarm any government which had the 'safety' of the travelling public at heart.

[Image: EKD0blqU0AEKa7r.jpg]

Alas. All we got was an Elvis lookalike with a highly developed party trick of changing feet, every time he opens his mouth. Perhaps his tea lady/ minder could read, out loud, to him the following paragraphs:-

"Jack your comment has much merit, private travel for all sorts of reasons, as well as the economy of business, will gain in popularity. A natural progression enormously boosted by the virus outbreak. General Aviation (GA) could provide a great many services and create thousands of jobs and businesses but in Australia it has become hamstrung by the most counterproductive, unworkable and money wasting rules. This bureaucratic trajectory, seemingly unhampered by realities, stems from the independent regulator CASA governing itself with virtually no Ministerial input.

"The decline of a once growing industry (our country most suited to take advantage of GA) is astounding when one considers the general population growth of what is supposed to be an educated and free enterprise first world country. This situation, grown over the last thirty two years is so bad that now some Australians are enticed to learn flying in the USA in spite of travel, accommodation and the exchange rate.

"We've lost much of the skilled specialist personnel and hundreds of flying school and charter services have closed. To cap the whole sorry saga, the low weight category was unwisely split off from mainstream GA inducing thousands into a category (Recreational Aviation Australia, virtually a government sponsored monopoly company in some ways in unhealthy competition with the remainder of GA) of very small aircraft often much less suited to Australian conditions. Strangely all of the above seems to escaped the consciousness of the mainstream media, even in aviation journalism it gets little attention.

But, life does have it's special moments; baby sat an eight week old puppy for a mate last night, about the size of my size 10 work boot. The pup decided that this was fair game a seriously set about dragging said boot across the stable for the big dog to 'sort out'. Big dog knows better than to chew work boots, pup got cranky – you had to see it I reckon – but it cracked me up. Use your imagination. Aye well, there's work to be done – if I could find my boot, I'd get going. But I can smell baking and coffee, perhaps a visit to the realms of domestic tyranny is warranted -

Selah.

[Image: sbg-31520-1024x724.jpg]
Ref: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-04-30/a...n/12201642 & https://auntypru.com/sbg-19-01-20-as-the...-leg-said/

Who's to bless and who's to blame?

At the end of every accident; every single one of 'em – that question gets asked, and; it is an important one. Blame implies failed responsibility and the attendant liability, a lawyers payday and misery to those roasting 'on the spit'. So the scramble for 'blessing' (exoneration) begins in earnest.  

[Image: oscar-wilde.jpg]

Of course, a 'signed confession' is the pinnacle for the prosecution; but even then the winkling out of 'compensation' is a not a task for the feint of heart. Tackling the big boys like CASA or your friendly prudential insurance company in court, even with a 'signed confession is a seriously difficult, expensive, mind bending, life changing passage of play. Should you find this difficult to believe, track down and talk to someone who has been through that particular mill; the tale will beggar belief.  

[Image: sbg-3-1024x725.jpg]Ref: https://blogs.crikey.com.au/planetalking...ir/page/3/ & https://www.pprune.org/pacific-general-a...st10799795 & https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.php?tid=149

[Image: 947.jpg]

"We make guilty of our disasters the sun, the moon, and the stars: as if we were villains by necessity; fools by heavenly compulsion. ― William Shakespeare, King Lear

Which, for the last time I hope, takes my ramble back to the Ross Air fatal accident. There are IMO two questions which, stand alone deserve answers. 

So why was the exercise conducted outside of both the AFM and CASA approved systems?

And why did CASA feel the need to draft the TMI?

Enter what is I believe a signed confession from CASA. To clarify, I must (once again) quote the AAAA submission to the next Senate Inquiry.

AAAA - “CASA officer interpretations – an issue that was at the core of the ASRR Report findings and recommendations - individual officers within CASA continue to make interpretations that are not bound by regulatory heads of power, consistency, experience, sector knowledge or specific safety risks. It is opinion parading as policy – and frequently ill-informed opinion. CASA continues to lack a coherent, centralised policy interpretation and expertise centre to standardise regulation. Different offices have different interpretations, and generally CASA is not troubled by using subject matter experts that it may have on staff – as there is no centralised policy development system. In a modern regulator that had this pointed out to them in an independent review (the ASRR), serious questions must be raised about why this situation is perpetuated by senior management.”

The paragraph above clearly spells out a serious industry wide concern. Those who write or are responsible for 'operations' management will completely understand the statement above. How much needless, mindless, unnecessary twaddle has been 'drafted in' as an amendment to satisfy a particular FOI's notion of how things should be done. How many of those FOI have ever actually been in a position of company operational management and understand the complexities involved: and, can supply experience based input? How much personal opinion and preference has been grafted onto a sound, simple operating edict? - Far too bloody much. But I digress. Back to the TMI

You can find the 'TMI' document at the end of a long P2 post – HERE -. It follows a CASA RSR of the Ross Air operation, which of itself is worth careful consideration. The accident occurred in May 2017. The 'Temporary Management Instruction' (TMI) was produced a month later in June 2017. A reasonable man could be pardoned for reading this trite little  document as a 'signed confession'. Also, be forgiven for thinking 'Bollocks'. The give away is “should consider” - after the event. “Should” don't enter into it; they should be instructed to bloody well allow the expert, experienced folk doing the job set the test and manage the operation safely. The Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM), from the manufacturer, which is mostly based on test flight and certification data legally holds all the trumps. To dictate anything which contravenes the AFM is fraught with peril. Not only will the legal eagles have you by the short and curly, but to ignore what has been demonstrated as acceptable risk, by qualified, peer, experienced, responsible check pilots and insist on 'alternative' procedure for 'testing proficiency' is tantamount to a dangerous situation developing, resulting in tragedy. The Air North Brazillia a classic. Engine failure at a critical speed combined with an Auto Feather failure is borderline premeditated murder; a mathematical improbability and plain bloody stupid – yet there stands yet another fatal accident – during a test flight – over sighted by another bloody CASA expert. Don't get me started; I'll be at it all night.

So – to the TMI which wants CASA to 'consider' the stuff of potential liability in the case of death. I say this; if an experienced check pilot says how a check is to be conducted, unless the CASA FOI can trump his Ace, then it is best to let the experienced man dictate the odds. Should the CASA man consider that his way is best – simply cancel the flight and take it all to a higher level. At least then those you leave behind will have the benefit of a clearly defined line of blame.  \

Para 1. CASA should consider reviewing CASA and industry practices for conducting assessments of Check pilots and etc. - simulated engine failure.......

Para 1. CASA should consider reviewing relevant operations manuals to ensure procedures relating to the simulation of engine failure in turbo prop aircraft consistent with either the aircraft flight manual etc. 

Para 2. CASA should consider – risk assessment etc.

[Image: Ben-Cook_Pel-Air_Part-4-pdf-233x300.jpg]

Ref: https://auntypru.com/wp-content/uploads/...Part-4.pdf & https://auntypru.com/wp-content/uploads/...ir-pt5.pdf

AAAA - “CASA still does not understand the difference between safety and compliance and continually considers itself to be the creator of safety, when in fact it is a well informed, safety motivated and guided industry – flying, maintaining and organising aviation operations – that creates safety. CASA clearly has an industry-accepted role in rule-setting, surveillance and enforcement – but it is industry that delivers safety. The dimension of the daunting task facing anyone in GA in simply absorbing, recalling and using the vast amount of written regulation of the industry, is now a safety impediment in its own right.”

[Image: forsythe2.jpg]

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...250#pid250 & https://auntypru.com/it-is-better-to-lig...-darkness/

The ASRR has been almost shuffled off into the shredder; nothing of significance has changed since then. Is the Australian Senate so piss weak that it will allow another a multi million dollar Senate Inquiry to be obfuscated into a shadow of what should have been? Are we to watch another expensive pantomime achieve nothing but a couple of hundred pages of Hansard. How many more avoidable accidents will be allowed to happen while CASA enjoys Bi-Part-Insane support from every brainless politician?

It's nowhere near good enough and a very poor investment of faith and tax payer monies;  is it.

Oh, I miss the Pub, the BRB/ IOS and darts. Email and 'the net' are OK but not the same as a 'robust' discussion and venom on the dartboard. Must hope things return to some semblance of normality soon, home is a great place but.........

Aye well, P7 is up for darts tonight, the keg is working, stable clean, logs split and dry next to the stove, which only leaves my two best mates waiting a word to be away. Through the orchid gate and off into the moonlight.

[Image: 220px-William_Wordsworth_at_28_by_William_Shuter2.jpg]

FAR from my dearest Friend, 'tis mine to rove

Through bare grey dell, high wood, and pastoral cove;

Where Derwent rests, and listens to the roar 

That stuns the tremulous cliffs of high Lodore;

Where peace to Grasmere's lonely island leads,

To willowy hedge-rows, and to emerald meads; ― William Wordsworth

Selah....Oh: and avoid Bunnings on Saturday – seriously...

Ps P2 addendum:  

Phil Hurst
@PhilHurst62

So where is your stakeholder advisory panel, or your subject matter expert list or your sectoral working groups or annual consultative forum or ....???

Quote:Communications and stakeholder engagement are the primary tools we use to influence improvements in transport safety.

Please help us by completing a short 10-question survey on the effectiveness of our engagement and communications channels:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/ATSB_2020...ly60lWs_3D 

[Image: EZZEYZPX0AEGhom.jpg]

And the "K" reply: 'Roll Up, roll up:   Wink

[Image: sbg-7620-1024x725.jpg]
Ref: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...spair.html & https://www.flyhpa.com/2017/11/risk-mana...-aviation/

Of the meat – that in the sandwich.

Bear with me a while; 'tis but a ramble, a twiddle if you will;  brought to words in the interest of mental health. I purchased a couple of years ago a large slab (6' x 36” x 2” in old money) of a hard to come by wood – beautiful stuff – but a little 'awkward' to work with. I have a project which needs this timber; and so, there was serious work to be done. I have very few 'machines' in my workshop (almost none) , which means the use of hand tools – saw and plane – to bring the 'lump' to useful boards. The large rip saw need sharpening, a couple of planes needed a tune up and I had to do some some calculations. Hands and mind busy. The sheer pleasure of managing a 110 y.o. rip saw to cut the slab to size, the concentration required to make all the billets 4 square and useful tends to 'free' the conscious mind from focused thought; allowing that trapped below to surface to wend it's way to the fore. Almost a Zen sort of thing; anyway, I now have some wonderful boards, a couple of splinters, a stack of hand tools to re-sharpen and some eclectic thoughts which this ramble prefaces.

It kicked off with an unscheduled short bark of laughter – I was truing the face of a wide board, then the stray thought – 'the poor bugger never stood a chance'. I was thinking of Martin Scott – Chief Pilot of Ross Air, RIP. The thin slice of meat in a sandwich. The title 'chief pilot' may sound grand and important, conjuring up images of steely eyed, seasoned veterans running a tight ship, completely in control of all matters aeronautical, supported by 'the company' and backed by the not inconsiderable might of the CASA. It was they who approved the elevation from the ranks after all. Which begs the question – did they 'know' the depth of the shit fight he was dropped into?

[Image: sbgc-1-1024x727-1.jpg]

[Image: 128382.jpg]

“Anything is better than lies and deceit!” ― Leo Tolstoy, Anna Karenina

The overwhelming burden of evidence says 'Yes' they did; he had a regular coffee date with a CASA FOI (mates) ; there was evidence of a company in free fall, there was major changes in management philosophy, money was scarce, there'd been a suicide attempt, a nervous breakdown, an ex chief pilot disregarded and demeaned, multiple changes to operating policy, check list, check flight procedures, multi crew operations, a like it or bugger off management policy and 'hatred' brought into play by the take over company; and: all in all, a major shit storm emerging. This was the inheritance reluctantly accepted. Oh: Patience. I'm getting there.

Think about it for minute. If you took over the CP role, had a mate in CASA, and were struggling to keep the whole edifice afloat – who would you turn to for 'back-up'? CASA? Forget it. I can, with rock solid evidence provide four separate incidents where CASA, with full knowledge, failed to support a CP when matters were at a critical point. You see a CP gig can be related to a man on a tight rope crossing over a pit of hostile, rock throwing folks, while juggling four balls. Drop one – drop all – and, into the pit you go. No point calling to CASA for help – drop one ball – and they are first to prosecute 'the fact'. Two stories stand out; one of poor Andy Wilson (fatal) the other still, to this day angers the man at the heart of it. Briefly; he was CP of a company running 'scheduled services' (commuter) in mid weight piston aircraft. The company sent a scheduled service into a major airport, full of passengers, crewed by a walk in pilot, not type rated, not within recent practice, who'd never been into the major city airport and was not 'inducted or checked'. Can you imagine the blow out had there been an accident? I can. The CP (rightfully) went ballistic – operating certificate, insurance, and gods know what else all well and truly buggered. The company simply fired the CP and CASA approved, at 1630 hrs, the very same day a replacement was installed. Some back up eh?

[Image: Cj8KTi7UYAAofJ3.jpg]

Many seasoned pilots, some of 'em CP's or ex CP simply do not believe the ATSB conclusion drawn on the Ross Air crash. All firmly believe that what was going on, inside the company at that time was 'Rum'. Did it contribute to the causal chain? We may never know, but one thing is for certain sure; CASA had foreknowledge of the deep, divisive, on going 'problems' the CP faced and yet they failed to support. None of this is probably directly connected to the in flight events – but; boy Oh boy from a holistic 'safety' prospective, you have to wonder what the Hell the 'system' is trying to achieve.

Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-15-09-19-weltschmerz/

[Image: 1244.jpg]

“If voting made any difference they wouldn't let us do it.” ― Mark Twain

There, stray thoughts dispatched on the wind, all for nought. Alas, Back to my knitting I wonder though ; have the MH 370 crowd ever considered a couple of points which should interest them? For instance. Many were alarmed, concerned and confused when AMSA was pulled off the search and ATSB got the gig; well, it seems ATSB are beyond the reach of mortal man or his law – untouchable, and immune, by act of bipartisan parliament no less. No matter what. Then, there is the history of 'omitted' radio transmissions to consider. Several examples exist where the raw' transcript or recordings have been modified, denied or even omitted. (See Pel-Air/ Mangalore). The recent fatal mid air collision over Mangalore (Vic) has been muffled and not a living soul can touch the ATSB and make 'em release the whole radio thing. You have to wonder what has been withheld from the MH 370 flight data by ATSB, don't you. I do.....  

From 1:12 - 

"..The thing that the committee is struggling to come to is that there have been many witnesses who are pointing fingers of blame at particular incidents. Australia has been a leader in aviation safety for a number of years through its fairly robust adoption of a systems approach, and James Reason is the classic person who has driven that. So, clearly, the actions of the pilot in command and his decisions around flight planning and fuel have a role to play—so do the actions of the company in terms of their checks, training et cetera. But each slice of the Swiss cheese, as the James Reason bowl is often laid out, has the potential to prevent the accident. So the importance that the committee is placing on an incident such as a proactive alert to the pilot that there is now a hazardous situation is not the reason the accident occurred, but it is one of the defences that may well have prevented the accident. If Australia are to remain at the forefront of open, transparent and effective aviation safety then one of the roles of this committee is to make sure that our organisations collectively keep working towards having a very open discussion around that systems safety approach and making sure that each of those barriers is as effective as it can possibly be. That, I guess, is the intent behind a lot of the questioning this morning.

We see that, whatever else occurred, if the pilot had been made aware proactively about the hazardous situation that now existed then perhaps he would have made a different decision. Should he have been there in the first place? Should he have had more fuel? They are all other slices of cheese. We are concerned with this one. The thing we are really trying to establish is, if the ATSB report had had a recommendation that said, 'This was something that could have prevented the accident. Is it possible to have it put in place for the future?' then you would have taken action on that as a matter of course. Is that a correct assumption?.."
 ― Senator David Fawcett, 19 November 2012. 

Ref: PelAir MKII: ASA Swiss Cheese slices & bunnies

“..if you look at a safety system holistically—a bit like James Reason and his accident causation model—what we are finding is that each of those pieces of Swiss cheese has been thinned to the absolute minimum that is permissible by law, which maximises the chance of an accident by minimising the options for a pilot who has a malfunction in an aircraft. I guess the request here is that we sit back and look at this holistically, as opposed to saying, ‘Yes, they have met this requirement or that requirement,’ and look at the aggregation of the loss of margin and, therefore, options for an aircrew member who has an issue with an aircraft. Public safety zones are but one element of that whole system” ― Senator David Fawcett, 23 May 2017.

Ref: https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/dow...fb/0000%22https://auntypru.com/setting-the-odds-and-playing-em/

Aye well; no doubt the world has more to worry about at the moment; but, soon or late, there must be a reckoning – Air Services pay their Halfwit over a million a year (plus) to run air traffic control yet we have had a fatal mid air collision – in cloud – by two aircraft operating under the IFR (ref ATSB in three years). We have had a company imploding and yet another three deaths due to CASA insistence on their way or no way – yet failing (dismally) to support a CP out of his depth. Then we have the untouchable ATSB wasting time on a pointless 'feel-good' survey which, despite the expense will change sweet bugger all. This all over sighted by a minister who would not know if his arse was on fire. Less you rang a bell and threw a bucket of water over him. Even then.....

Yes, the planet has big problems – but economic recovery begins at home – aviation matters – all of it. So why not use this down time to sort out the government responsibility to those who pay for a world class system i.e. the public. They deserve much better value for the money invested: they really do.

As said, a day 'on the tools' concentrating on nothing but making a lump of wood flat, square and fit for purpose breaks focus on the minutiae and brings a wide picture into perspective. Congratulations (and a choc frog) to Phil Hurst for a stellar effort. Bravo, well done, thanks for showing the industry true spirit and real leadership.

But enough: I'm sure I have bored you all long enough. My mates in Alaska would consider 12c at midday swimming weather, but to me, it is bloody freezing. The stove is working overtime, dogs reluctant to leave the comfort of sheep skin rugs, can't get the cat away from the hearth without getting mauled. Time for a Schnapps, a smoke and feet up on the desk, methinks, while I watch the Rose moon rising.

[Image: 340?cb=20120530123811]

“Do not swear by the moon, for she changes constantly. then your love would also change.” ― William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet

Selah....

[Image: sbg-140620-1024x860.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-27-10-19-the-bu...bull-dust/ & https://thenewdaily.com.au/finance/finan...ts-senate/ & https://www.theguardian.com/australia-ne...up-flights & From PG 49: Case study - Birds? What birds? 

Ophelia's and the madness of others, considered.

I've no idea why, but 'Hamlet' always takes me to CASA and the twisted logic within. Is it a form of madness: that which comes of having no man or tenet to answer to? Or is it the real thing – where contact with any semblance of that which is real; or, of the earthly world ceases to matter?

Her speech is nothing,
Yet the unshapèd use of it doth move
The hearers to collection. They yawn at it
And botch the words up fit to their own thoughts,
Which, as her winks and nods and gestures yield them,
Indeed would make one think there might be thought,
Though nothing sure, yet much unhappily.”

Translation - “In these lines a gentleman reports to Gertrude and Horatio concerning Ophelia's descent into madness and her incoherence—that is, her "unshapèd use" of language. What's interesting here is the gentleman's emphasis on how others strive to make sense of her bewildering language. Ophelia seems to act in a way that implies her words carry intentional meaning, and so those around her seek to rearrange (i.e., "botch") the words in order to make some sense of them. But the gentleman persists in thinking that her words represent pure madness. Thus, "Her speech is nothing."

Then of course the rational mind, must wonder who is the 'pottiest'? Fair question. Let me explain:-

IOS indaba at my place last evening. Dutifully, I went to the local BWS to lay in supplies against expected need. They have a 1.5 m spacing thing going on – which is fine – but I wondered at the pair of 'fools' who blocked an entire aisle while they buggered about for the 20 minutes I was there, with the fridge doors open while they 'selected' one bottle of white wine from the selection of Chateau Piss de Z chat on offer. The fridge doors are always clear of moisture – made me wonder WTD were their heads. Anyway – with the desired libations purchased, I toddled off, 12 seats around the stove, sausage rolls and pies from DT's magical, forbidden kingdom, stove lit, lamps burning: the scene was set. Enter the IOS and designated drivers (safely ensconced in DT territory) and – game on.

“Buckley” rasped a senior member – ATSB called another – ASA another. Lots of axes – one millstone. “Shall we begin with news” says I. Over the top of a pint – "Speak it” say's P7.

Our old friend John Quadrio set me an email with a very strange 'Statutory declaration' (SD) attached to it. The SD was from the guy CASA had decided was their principal witness in the case against Quadrio; it was quite a story, another one. This witness fellah has been in more trouble than Speed Gordon and has, IMO, the credibility of Benjamin Franklin. Nevertheless; the last SD from this fellah; if it could ever be proven, speaks of a perceived culture within CASA which must, if formally identified, be eradicated. The star witness for CASA is not the brightest bulb on the Christmas tree. I'm not demeaning the man, far from it. Vulnerable, incarcerated, easily frightened, manipulated and managed, this bloke is still struggling to put down an anchor.  Ruthlessly manipulated, exploited, threatened, bullied, bribed and cajoled – a willing acolyte to whoever seemed to be the most powerful. For example – early parole from prison granted on CASA investigator say so – he claims. The same fellah has just been in trouble for, once again, pretending to be a Jetstar pilot in order to impress the ladies of his acquaintance (or not).

Cairns woman forced to leave town after being stalked by ex

[Image: f773804128c6dc74b1ae93905a921739]
An online dating profile belonging to Cairns man Benjamin Coglan who allegedly continues to harass a former partner.

I asked the IOS to vote on one question. “Can you believe anything this fellah says or say's he's done? NO comes the instant answer. Which begs the question why did CASA bet so much stock (the whole case) to this mans dubious testimony? To what end was Quadrio driven to depression and divorce? To what purpose, in any meaningful way, shape or form did the crucifixion of Quadrio serve air safety? Or; more to the point, why did Moore do what he did, ruthlessly and without qualm – and at who's direction did he act – and why?.

Quadrio is but one of many who have been 'rubbed out' by CASA. Buckley another in a list of 20 names, which took exactly 18 seconds for the IOS to call out.

There is a pattern emerging; a distinct path which leads to but one conclusion – at the bottom (or head) of CASA there is a bizarre and twisted logic at work. You see, like poor Ophelia, their madness is the real thing – complete loss of marbles: call it what you will. But from Lockhart River through Seaview and on to Pel Air something is rotten in the state of Denmark.

[Image: 3494166756_7ac9c77fca_o.jpg]

Whose tongue soe'er speaks false, not truly speaks; who speaks not truly, lies. ” ―  William Shakespeare, King John (1623).

Anyway – 'twas a good discussion, robust and frank. Hell, it could have easily ended up in fisticuffs had wiser, calmer heads not prevailed. It is the appearance (real or imagined) of gross corruption within the aviation system which incites such passionate debate. Well, in my stable it does. But what about where it matters? Parliament and the minister. You do realise that with an intelligent minister and a breath of change; this would all go away. Alas, as it stands; if I were a minister, I'd buy a tin hat and hire a bloody good lawyer – I would, indeed. Yes, I would.

[Image: reformcasa.jpg]

Why? – Well here's a simple question. Why would CASA use such a witness against Quadrio? We can tell you of course – but it's more fun to let the media get a hold on it. Wait a while minister; perhaps the truth of Mildura, SOAR, Rex, Pel Air, Quadrio, Buckley, Mangalore, Essendon and even Andy Wilson may emerge - just before the next election. You never know, not really, what independent people in a democracy can do, not until you test the boundaries of tolerance. Oh Yeah – bring it on.

[Image: man-mask-2.jpg]

Aye well – all gone now, glasses in the sink, empty bottles consigned to the pit. Result? In short – ASA, ATSB and CASA once again consigned to the deepest pits of Hell. So what? Well, I had more 'expertise' sat at my hearth tonight than any of the 'agencies' could dream of, let alone persuade to 'participate' in the minuscule's wet dreams.

How is it that the animals know – exactly – when I'm done here? They do. I pick up a half smoked cigar, finish off my pint and look up. Six bright eyes all awaiting the 'away' word – although what the Hell the cat thinks it's playing at is anyone's guess. No matter -

“Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

But, for real food for thought – try S T Coleridge. -

Oh; Jagermiester and Kilkenny – should anyone ask. -

Selah..

[Image: SBG-21620-1024x724.jpg]
Ref: Boyd Munro's blast from the past https://www.pprune.org/8239873-post161.html & para 13: https://localcourt.nt.gov.au/sites/defau...10_000.pdf & http://www.airsafety.com.au/whyalla/d724find.htm & https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2000_Austr...estigation

"Then came each actor on his ass— "

That line from Hamlet always comes to mind whenever the subjects of 'Inquiry', investigation, survey and consultation are mentioned. It conjures all manner of images;like, Hoody in a Hi Viz Burqa, riding side saddle on a donkey leading a line of minions carrying I-Pads loaded with 'data'. - Maybe one of us needs 'help'.

Hamlet - “I am but mad north-north-west. When the wind is southerly, I know a hawk from a handsaw”.

Funny coincidence though, recently I had a young visitor to the workshop, a student, I reached for a favourite handsaw and said 'the wind must be southerly, for this is indeed a handsaw' – I got a puzzled look and a please explain. A coffee break was due anyway, so we sat and chatted about hawks and handsaws. The youngster found the following on Google which supported my explanation (and confirmed – marbles intactus).

"Handsaw is probably a corruption for heronsaw, hernsaw. In some dialects of England harnsa is used, and it is but a step from this to handsaw. The meaning generally given to this passage is, that birds generally fly with the wind, and, when the wind is northerly, the sun dazzles the hunter's eye, and he is scarcely able to distinguish one bird from another. If the wind is southerly, the bird flies in that direction, and his back is to the sun, and he can easily know a hawk from a handsaw. When the wind is north-north-west, which occurs about ten o'clock in the morning, the hunter's eye, the bird, and the sun, would be in a direct line, and with the sun thus in his eye he would not at all be able to distinguish a hawk from a handsaw."

I hereby acknowledge (and warn) of a ramble – but to good purpose M'lud. When things get settled down, the Estimates committee are – once again – squaring up to take on the vexed questions attending 'matters aeronautical' (again). The wheels are already in motion. The ATSB entry leading the charge. Their opening salvo is to be the result of a 'survey' which they are not only conducting into what industry thinks of 'em, but they get to collate and present the results (good eh). In the hands of the ATSB statisticians the results will reach the glorious, preordained conclusion – Fab White; with bells on. Tote odds fact. In short, the committee will be facing NNW with the dazzling sun in their eyes – unable then to distinguish a hawk from a handsaw. 

This is but one of the obstacles for the RRAT committee to overcome. There are several such traps which must be avoided if any sort of positive result from the expenditure is to be gained. Not only for the industry, but for Coroners (closing the loop), parliament, the budget; and, ultimately for the purse and safety of the largely ignorant public. The public may (will) see the ATSB survey results and think 'all is rosy'. There's not many Coroners who would agree, nor very few industry experts. The list of reoccurring fatal accidents just keeps growing, the piles of three year old reports keeps growing; the positive steps toward prevention diminish at an alarming rate. ATSB have not, in two decades, published a 'useful' informative report, let alone provided advice to prevent recurrence. ATSB rely on the operating company to solve the problem while they demure, delay, obfuscate and prepare politically safe PR to be loaded onto the ministerial ass on it's weary way to the 'performance'.

[Image: sbg-216.jpg]
Ref: https://www.atsb.gov.au/media/news-items...sb-survey/https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...8#pid11338

[Image: 2448.jpg]

“There is nothing more deceptive than an obvious fact.” ― Arthur Conan Doyle, The Boscombe Valley Mystery

This is neither made up nor imagined. Hitch (Oz Flying) and Dick Smith reflect the Boyd Munro 2004 publication of THIS :in 2010 some PAIN abridged research was offered to the Estimates committee. There are several other worthy examinations from various sources; all, without exception, condemn ATSB, the MoU with CASA, the quality and 'safety' value of ATSB reports – when they are finally released. But, the real harm and shame may be found in the coroners court; but don't believe me dear Senators – invite some of those left behind after a fatal  accident, get their opinion not ATSB's. Invite some of those who have walked away (resigned) from the 'agencies' shaking their heads in disgust. Invite some expert industry folk who stopped placing any credence in, or value on the ATSB 'reports'. Compare that to the puny PR which will be generated from the ATSB 'survey' . ASA, ATSB and CASA credibility, all down the gurgle (again), dragging the good intention of the Senate committee with 'em (again): alongside of countless millions of tax payers money (again). Disgusting, deceitful and bloody nearly as disgraceful as the bipartinsane support for the system and the ministerial ass covering. Aye, cranky it makes me. But that ain't what disgusts, sickens and saddens me.

[Image: ao2018061_figure-1_final.jpg]

[Image: ao2017057_figure1_final_.jpg]
Ref: Hooded Canary catching up on AAI backlog?

[Image: 13638502.jpg]

“A lie that is half-truth is the darkest of all lies.” ― Alfred Tennyson

The folk responsible for the well being (and safety) of this nation i.e. the politicians have allowed ASA, ATSB and CASA to obtain a position which places them above the law of the nation and sensible, managed power. How, for crying out did a situation develop where criminal charges could be brought, without the possibility of defence ever become part of a 'free' democratic nation's everyday normality? Every man-jack (and Jill) who sits in the parliament needs to answer that question. Then, they may even find time to ask how their collective 'democratic' conscience ever allowed such untrammelled power, without control or recourse to law, man or the gods to happen. Bipartisan is the perpetrator; fear is the jury, ignorance the judge and the truth has no chance of getting past the prosecution. You know if the government ever tried this on with the public service there would be a revolution. But aviation just bends over and accepts it all - as the price of doing business. Bollocks.

“Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!” ― Noel Langley, The Wizard of Oz

No matter; anyone remember the old fashioned school desk; lifting lid and an ink well? I am to make one, with a couple of minor modifications for a budding architect (no less). Seems she likes the desk to sit at and sketch out plans before hitting the drawing board. It will be a bit bigger than the original, an artists tool box included, but true to the design. 'Rosewood' from PNG specified, (not quite the same as the real 'dark' hard stuff). It will fill in a couple of idle days, 20 dovetail joints; a dozen tenons, couple of housings to cut; great stuff for soothing the outraged logic. But enough.

I look up, last years hardwood off cuts have the pot belly almost glowing, the smell of exotic wood smoke faint on an errant breeze, my smoke has gone out, the glass is empty. One dog snores lightly, the other lost to this world, away chasing imaginary rabbits. The cat ever alert looks up to see me heading for the Ale tap. Aye, one for the road before they all awake seems in order. Call me daft if you like, but even the tools reflect the warmth and lamp light. Indeed, my conscience is clear and content. Duty done. Ramble over.

Selah.
[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcQ5GHAnGQUMcbpSZecxS...c&usqp=CAU]

[Image: SBG-280620-1024x723.jpg]
Ref: “Something is rotten in the state of Denmark …" & A soupçon of sympathy. & Key Issues and Perceptions around Regulation and Practice of Aircraft Maintenance in Australian General Aviation. Aerospace 2020,

Selling snow - to an Eskimo.

Catchy ain't it – put it to a tune – like 'Never smile at a crocodile' and there's some fun to had with the lyrics – aye; I know small things amuse etc. Of course, if one had to choose between working for the delegation flogging off Australian 'snow' to the North pole; or, trying to get a purblind, bipartisan political outfit to usher in some serious changes to the way aviation is managed; I'd be off buying my Eskimo Nell outfit and fur lined jock strap tomorrow; and teaching the dogs Mush (or whatever).....

Did you ever imagine we could descend so low? Australia is like the Pakistani aircraft; landing on the nacelles then applying TOGO power. To ducking late – mate.

Ref: Tell 'im 'e's dreamin'

[Image: 10122.jpg]

“Hell is truth seen too late.” ― Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan

P2 has once again done a great job – rounding up the comments (and some serious dustbin digging). One positive thing, the expected Senate inquiry (yes, another one) has done is bring out comments on social media, which (IMO) reflect just how big, ugly, expensive and dangerous the government end of the aviation safety game has become. The holes in the 'systems' knitting are unravelling, the results being seen through mid air collisions, flawed investigations, incredible expense to operate, the never ending write, rewrite and correction of 'safety' regulation, CASA edicts forcing operations outside of the published certification data; it's a bloody shambles. It is also a very expensive, increasingly dangerous shambles.

[Image: Nietzsche-274x300.jpg]

"if you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you"? ― Friedrich Nietzsche

The notion of 'cost recovery' when added to fuel levy, when added to the budgetary demands; of the ASA, ATSB and CASA monies are a truly staggering sum. When you add in the revenue from GST, company tax, individual tax and etc; the numbers milked from industry are truly scary - for those who must stump up the geld. Right now; aviation, and by extension tourism and business (tax revenue) are desperately trying to stay afloat; big operations and small alike. Sure the numbers are different but, percentage wise; the % cost of business recovery is on a par. Then, there are the aircrew to consider. For those eventually returning to 'airline' duties; the individual costs are not horrendous. But for the rest; after a period of unemployment, the costs are truly a heavy burden - $75 to get CASA to do whatever they do to validate a medical; without any testing – stress test ECG ($400) Eyes, up to $400 etc. a proficiency check – what: say $600; an Instrument rating renewal what – say $2000 all up – ASIC add $300, new IFR/ Jepps/ ASA plates and charts – call it $500. You can see that returning to whatever is left of the 'charter' market is an expensive business – to earn what; $70 K a year?.

“To what's left of non airline operations” - Operators have 'costs' fixed and direct operating. Maintenance, Insurance, rent, TAX and several others : including 'compliance' (don't get me started). Some of these are 'government' charges. To get an aircraft into the air for a revenue flight is an expensive business. The market competitive, the margins slim.

[Image: admin-ajax-2.jpg]

[Image: mil-1-e1526174976134.jpg]

[Image: be7a3a0203f708530bf54462a9c32e17-e1500166112616.jpg]

[Image: image_a_3_733.jpeg]

"We hope all danger may be overcome; but to conclude that no danger may ever arise would itself be extremely dangerous."― Abraham Lincoln

Industry have always accepted this as a necessary evil; but: when their hard earned is feeding a monstrous, ravening system which is a law unto itself, pays people not qualified to act as 'experts'. Then spends three decades of its time dreaming up complex, multi edged 'laws' to justify the huge expense they impose, for no benefit to the goose which actually lays the golden eggs; you have to wonder what in the seventh Hell they are playing at. It's time – and ever increasing industry opinion publicly supports this; it is time for the government to stop ignoring the facts, take their heads out of their fundamental orifices, take a breath of fresh air and do what they are supposed to do. Several ministers, of all stripes, have allowed themselves to be publicly humiliated. But it ain't industry that's making a mockery of our parliamentary system. Take a look at the four million dollar price tag for the top draw of our 'safety' agencies – then ask the simplest of questions – what qualifies them as 'the experts'. Want to sell snow to an Eskimo minister? Easy, you have the best team in the world – just ask 'em; they'll tell ya and it will cost; but it will 'appear' as being done – very well. Snake oil salesman, spin merchants and more bullshit than a rodeo, all there covering the bases. I mean they sold you SOAR and Mildura, didn't they? Or was that 'another interested party'? - No matter.

[Image: SBG-19120-1024x724-1.jpg]

[Image: 17212.jpg]

“Everything we hear is an opinion, not a fact. Everything we see is a perspective, not the truth.” ― Marcus Aurelius , Meditations

Want an 'aviation' industry? A business. One which while employing thousands, generates millions from tourism, business support and simple population travel? Then get off your arses and sort out the gods forsaken money grubbing, self promoting, minister baffling crew and hire some professionals. Plenty around right now – many on the dole queue.  Right then; that's got 'that' of my chest.

[Image: McDonaught-1024x576-1.jpg]

[Image: 1244.jpg]

"There are basically two types of people. People who accomplish things, and people who claim to have accomplished things. The first group is less crowded."― Mark Twain

Well, it's wrong. We should keep all the ATCO's, but who needs a million dollar a year man  to run 'em – and loose money while running a monopoly? If aviation is to get going – all charges should be waived for a twelve month. Then, who needs a half million dollar a year buffoon, who's only claim to fame is his wardrobe running an agency which has not produced an accident report worth industry professional scrutiny, or Coroner approval for a decade? Peel off the top layer and let the 'tin-kickers' do what they do best; report and analyse accidents for the benefit of 'safety', freely, openly, without bias, favour, or demurring, or MoU. Then, who needs a three quarter million a year 'professional' bureaucrat running a billion dollar a year 'law maker'; law which becomes more and more bizarre with each page published. There minister; a 4.5 million dollar burden removed from industry shoulders. Take a little more off the charges and hell, we may even be able to get to our knees, take a breath and recover enough to provide the vast sums the government collects (one way or the other) from this industry. 40% 'staff reduction' 66% reduction in charges; 100% reduction in fuel levy and no increase in budget. There now – books balanced, industry up and running. What, I ask you is wrong with a vibrant, profitable industry?

[Image: ?size=l]

“Dwell on the beauty of life. Watch the stars, and see yourself running with them.” ― Marcus Aurelius , Meditations[/color]

Aye, steam off thanks GD, time to build up the stove a little, chilly tonight; clear sky and a rising moon; all that's missing is my old jacket and the smell of Jet A1 – what a night to be flying (my favourite). No matter. Oh I nearly forgot – for young master Buckley. The desk turned out nicely; nearly all the dovetails fitted neatly, the 'white' oak performed brilliantly – made one 'loose' mortice; but I can blame the cat and a blunted chisel, which I should have sharpened earlier (slack). All in all, another happy 'customer'. Enjoyed it. Away now dogs; 'tis a night to go a roving.

So, we'll go no more a-roving

So late into the night,

Though the heart still be as loving,

And the moon still be as bright.

Selah.

[Image: SBG-50720-1024x725.jpg]
Ref: http://www.popflock.com/learn?s=Dance_of...even_Veils & https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-53274895 & https://www.avweb.com/aviation-news/aust...ane-crash/

A Dance: of the seven veils.

[Image: MaudeAllanSalomeHead.jpg]

“Herod offered his niece a reward of her choice for performing a dance for his guests on his birthday. Herodias persuaded her daughter to ask for John the Baptist's head on a platter. Against his better judgement, Herod reluctantly acceded to her request.”

Salome's dance, through Wilde has been called the precursor to what we now call 'strip tease'. I disagree with that; Salome's effort was (IMO) more subtle, with the veils artfully managed to allow a fleeting glimpse, certainly a 'tease' without the strip – and a head on a platter to boot; on account of being a good girl.

Oh, what's the fool banging on about now; and, WTD has this to do with matters aeronautical (groan the unshriven). The thought came at the end of a day spent with P2, he in his beloved dustbins, me catching and matching. At the close of play, I wondered how many ATSB heads would the minister like on plates? It is a fair question. Whether it be old fashioned 'cock-up', cover up or just sheer incompetence; heads should roll. The BRB collective opinion is that the cock up is incompetently covered up. Look no further than the Jerusalem Bay fatal accident – HERE - for a classic example.

[Image: sbg2.jpg]

It took about 90 minutes to discover why investigator Nagy departed the ATSB stockade in Sleepy Hollow (not related to the accident) and reveal the incompetent, penny pinching methodology employed in the investigation. Had it not been for the first sin; the ATSB back-flip on the accident report would never have seen the light of day. Nagy was on the nose – so herd protection was not forthcoming. Amen. Which brings me back to Salome and her dance. ATSB artfully covering the sensitive parts, flirting their veils to keep the audience interested, hoping for a revealing moment. Alas, 'tis folly; beneath the veils, stripped naked, there is only another mundane human form. Take away the glamour, turn on the lights  and mystique vanishes.

[Image: GettyImages-154931759-2fede74894f6488d94...039156.jpg]

Right; brass tacks then. Follow me children; start _HERE_. P2's post is well worth the few minutes it takes to read. It raises some interesting questions at the bottom of the page. I cannot imagine the police or any investigation into an accident going to court without a full screen toxicology test battery. Yet ATSB eventually moved to release an incomplete report to the DIP, only to retract it and scurry off to do their homework properly. The latest part of the cock-up now being covered up is artfully hidden behind the veil of carbon monoxide (CO). Bollocks.......Why? Well consider the time lines for a start. The pilot had spent more time in the aircraft than the passengers (hint). From engine start to accident took about 6/7- minutes. There was only one flange identified as 'cracked'. There are eight  other cylinders; all pumping hot exhaust into the same 'collector' ring at a high rate, creating a 'venturi' like impetus to the waste gas – the percentage of 'exhaust' escaping from 'the crack' would be minimal and, the Beaver (bless it) is not what may be described as 'airtight'; lots of fresh air streaming through the old airframe. CO is not a 'quick killer'.

[Image: Arthur-Conan-Doyle-1.jpg]

We dug up some 'expert' opinion – HERE - which adds weight to the bollocks call. Again, worthy of serious consideration. We note that the ATSB failed in the first report to mention the possibility, the 'Oh shit' moment came when Nagy's work belatedly got the once over after his departure from grace. A cock-up; a cover up; a back-flip and a load of old cobblers to provide an escape path. Wow! P2 nails down the question

P2 - “So my question is that given the timing of the above Transport Canada CASA and the association of the TSBC with the active investigation, did the powers that be have an 'OH DUCK' moment when they discovered that toxicology reports weren't mandatory done in order to discount possible means of pilot and/or front RHS passenger incapacitation?”

Aye, you can see the need for veils and artful, seductive movement, to cover the cynical, deceitful, venal dance macabre. Well the minister may be entranced; but there are some hard eyed professionals out there who take pride in their work and how it is done; cash and no bullshit, the preferred currency. Maybe in another decade the RRAT committee may draft another report and apply the wet lettuce leaf with vigour; who knows, but history is against it. But, there will never, ever be a better time to bring in the reforms so desperately needed. Lets put a full stop on cock up, cover up, embuggerance and lunacy in law.

Best sign off – there's a note pinned on my dartboard – a list drafted by DT - 'matters domestic' to be attended to.– Pronto like or else. No excuses, so I'll whistle up the dogs take a walk then knock off the list; thus ensuring domestic harmony – for a while.

Selah.

[Image: reformcasa-1.jpg]

[Image: SBG-120720.jpg]
Ref: Airports - Buy two, get one free.AOPA AUSTRALIA CALLS FOR ACTION ON PRIVATISED AIRPORTS &
 https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...49#pid2549

Is this the winter of our despair?

[Image: Luke-Skywalker.png]
Ref: ventus45 – “Fade to black..”  

“It was the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way – in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.” ― Charles Dickens, A Tale of Two Cities

Dickens sums up pretty well the state aviation finds itself in – and, presents many choices of perspective. Australia aviation was already struggling to make ends meet, long before the pandemic came to visit. While it can never be described as a 'good thing' for the nation; it is IMO, a heaven sent opportunity to sort out the bloody regulatory mess industry is swamped in.

Ref: Pprune - Well done AACCI & ProAviation - Day of reckoning for Albanese plus: HANSARD

[Image: 1802204.jpg]

“When one door closes another door opens; but we so often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door, that we do not see the ones which open for us.” ― Alexander Graham Bell

Here we stand, looking 'regretfully' at the door so rudely slammed in our faces. Do not look back – you ain't going that way. Look a little way ahead and see the golden opportunity to bring in swift reform. While almost every 'expert' in town is sitting about, twiddling their thumbs, wondering what's to become of it all – take advantage of that idleness and put 'em to work. Now, while industry is 'static' is the time to bring in the reforms; adopt the FAA or NZ rule set; change the Act to lay responsibility fairly and evenly across the spectrum; decriminalise the regulations, bring them back to a sane, constitutional footing. There are many things which could be done – now – now – to ensure that when the crisis is over; industry has every possible chance the government can provide to get it going again, stronger, more efficient, not overshadowed by onerous penalty and tortured rule sets. Reduce the oversight budget; relieve some of the fees and levies which supply incredible sums doled to individuals and organisations, in the vain hope of ministerial protection. Put any bipart insane politician in the stocks. 

[Image: DS-Aviation-logo-v5-scaled.jpg]
Ref: http://dicksmithaviation.com.au/

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSB4lz7M4OvPC96y3XN2...g&usqp=CAU]

“The Chinese use two brush strokes to write the word 'crisis.' One brush stroke stands for danger; the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger--but recognise the opportunity.” ― John F. Kennedy

Aviation has always been 'self motivated' and usually self funded. Many big businesses began as small ones; one or two folk get together, see an opportunity and risk all to make it happen. Not all succeed, but many do. Aviation is of that entrepreneurial, independent spirit which made aviation (and this nation) what it is (or was) today. Government should not allow it to be still born or strangled by red tape at birth. Getting rid of bureaucrats trying to run an industry with which they have no earthly connection or empathy is a good start. Getting shut of 'shamatuer' experts and 'mates' and finding some legal marbles would be of great assistance. That's just CASA – ASA and ATSB are in a worse state. - MTF.

[Image: %E2%80%9CIn-the-middle-of-every-difficul...C800&ssl=1]

The pandemic has, believe it or not, created an opportunity for government to shine; provide the leadership necessary and pave the way for a better more vibrant industry. There will never be another time like this one to make it happen; while almost every aircraft is on the ground and there is time available to ring in the changes – before it becomes too busy to make the 'big' changes so desperately required. 

[Image: 107825894_1941996595931256_8556724165560...e=5F34B037]

Ref: https://www.facebook.com/AOPAaustralia/v...31419/?t=2

[Image: 9843.jpg]

“It still holds true that man is most uniquely human when he turns obstacles into opportunities." ― Eric Hoffer

While I'm at it; it's only fair to give the world's 'tin-kickers' (accident investigators) fair warning. It beggars the traditional belief that AI were all qualified, honest, fearless, hard working seekers of truth. Pursuing the radical causes of fatal accidents and providing considered, weighted advice to prevent recurrence of same. How can a close knit body of experts sit in silence while the Australian brotherhood is muzzled, providing disgraceful reports and demurring to amateur (unpublished) 'investigations' being provided, simply to soothe political anxiety. Shame, shame; on the 'tin-kicker' tribe. “Elevated CO levels” BOLLOCKS. 

Aye well; I doubt my twiddles will make the slightest differ; but, as they say in the classics – “better out than in”.

Item next – St Commode (Hitch bless him) to depart the fix. Good. We must all hope the door don't hit the runt of the Carmody litter in the arse on his way out to a 'fortunate, if flatulent life'. Was there ever a better time to chop out the deadwood, the inutile, the unqualified, and those who's marbles have been scattered, far and wide these many painful years of tortured pathways to legal nirvana? Seriously, if a person has never , for example, say run a flying operation how can they advise those who do? How can they presume to be all things? Best stop there, before I seriously get cranky and let rip. 

There is long, long list of insult to address before we even get down in the weeds of individual company cases; let alone individual embuggerance. The right time to fix the broken machine is NOW – before we all have to get busy and revitalise this ailing industry. Starting with the lack of aerodromes from which to operate – it is a little difficult to service a town or even a city which has a tower block or a DFO built on what was a national asset. Dough-for - Land (Dolan) and his best mate Murky Doings have much to answer for. Why doesn't someone ask the right questions and examine bank accounts? Trusts – owning aerodromes? Ain't that illegal? 

Been a 'fun' day though. Gave my 'apprentice' a taste of the real thing – I'd found some dirty, damp, part painted old Pine boards – but they were wide and long. Bowed, cupped, twisted and filthy. 14” wide, ¾ thick and 6' 6'' long (in old money). Today we shall 'fix 'em up' and make a lovely workshop box. Not an ordinary box though. This one has a drawer beneath a lidded box. Complex joinery, but before that – the timber must be set to rights. Every bench plane I posses was used; scrub plane to clean off the mess; hog plane to get down to the 'wick' wood, Jack plane to level and straighten, smoother to bring out the peerless feature and figure beneath the grime and neglect. It took six hours to reclaim enough of the wood, make it '4 square' – size it and set it aside to 'dry'. I mention it only to demonstrate that no matter how bad the surface appears, how bent and buckled – there is always a 'core' which remains usable. The smile of my young apprentice at the end of the day made it all worth while – a neat stack of lovely old wood, ready for use – and very nearly all her own work. She will sleep well this night.

Aye well; “come dogs – lets away”. The orchard gate beckons us, perhaps tonight we may discover who 'Pook' was as we ramble. Almost everyone knows who Puck was and what he did – and he did it all on 'Pook's Hill'. But; who the Hell was Pook.? I ask you? It has held me intrigued - since age 7.

Selah.

[Image: DkwbhwVU8AEvdii.jpg]

[Image: SBG-190720-1024x727.jpg]
Ref: Airport privatisations have put profit before public safety and good planning & Sunshine Coast Airport’s new runway complete 

Pictures - worth thousands of words.

Short SBG today; it is probably the best way to ask a seriously big question. What does this government think it's doing with aviation and our national airports?

With one picture it is easily defined – HERE.

Sydney only has two airports, with one to come – in the future. Guess how many golf courses Sydney has – Answer – HERE. Then you must wonder why one airport is being raped and made useless, despite many valid arguments for preventing development on the site. The Georges River flood plain and toxic waste being two reasons for building elsewhere. Two aerodromes v how many golf courses? Why not build on one of the many (surplus) golf courses? Lunacy, greed and just a whiff of corruption – perhaps?

San Francisco is a sister city to Sydney – how many airports do you reckon they have? Count 'em – and see what a go ahead nation does with national assets and a thriving business model. Blind Freddy (sorry mate) can see the great divide between aviation being seen as a USA asset; and the starkly different Australian version.

The madness is not just limited to Sydney; across this land sensible folk are beginning to ask questions about the pillage of national assets, lack of infrastructure, lack of a sound air traffic control system, expense of providing a service, the cost of doing business with the regulator, the truly dreadful rules inflicted and the complete indifference shown by both major political parties.

Time someone put a stop to this; before we become another third world back water.

That's it. The national embarrassment, shame, disgrace and questions I shall leave for the incumbent minister to deal with.

Selah.

[Image: 71556441_2526145487432209_64435476338342...948162.png]
Ref: GROUP HOPES QUARRY QUESTIONS WILL CRUSH FLIGHT PATH PLANS

[Image: sbg-26720.jpg]
Ref: Into a corner – painted am I. & http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...n-bristell & http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...-operators & http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...nce-issues

"This story happened a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away. It is already over...

Or, is it? Most good stories have a beginning, a middle and; strangely enough, an end. The story of Australian aviation is somewhere thereabouts; the chapters are many, each, in its own way, adding to the history. Each tale leaves a footprint for those who follow the aviators pathway. But at each cross road or fork in the track there are choices to be made; some choose wisely; other not so much. Whist that may be well and good for the individual, whimsical plodder; the people 'responsible' for aviation must follow a straight pathway. Not for them a flight of fancy or a detour along a tree lined lane, chasing butterflies. But for those who decide policy, make rules and meter out what they believe is fair, equatable and just carry a great burden; they are responsible for the well being of not only an industry and the lives of those who toil in it; but to the nation who's taxes foot the bill for 'expert' oversight being delivered. The public have a right to ask why that delivery has not happened. How does one begin to explain that to the general population?

[Image: 1_1LKENJu0_MU7Bm56r5thfg-e1595818616514.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/faery-dust-sprinkle...pony-pooh/

“Begin at the beginning," the King said, very gravely, "and go on till you come to the end: then stop.” ― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Terrific – if I knew where the 'beginning' was, most happily would I start there. In my beginning, 'we' knew our CASA people; there were always 'mini' hassles and 'rules' and what one could reasonably expect from 'the regulator'. But slowly and stealthily a change took root. Most, being busy and having a great time being happy to be working, that subtle change went almost unnoticed, except to a few who 'kept 'em honest' – well tried to anyway – Alas...Despite the best efforts of a notable few; the darkness spread. A few useless ministers sat back and let the thing grow and grow – just like Topsy did.

[Image: GettyImages-659706175-57c78daf3df78c71b6674964.jpg]

“A story has no beginning or end: arbitrarily one chooses that moment of experience from which to look back or from which to look ahead. ― Graham Greene, The End of the Affair

If we stand still for a moment and take a look from our arbitrary moment the 'picture' is bloody grim; like the Dorian Gray painting, bordering on Faust even. I digress. This week's  public offerings should be wake up call to slumbering industry, which fiddles whilst Rome burns. Believe it or not – it is St Crispin's day -

[Image: IMG_1473_1170.jpg]

Ref:  McDo'Naut does naut on Wagga Summit resolutions

This story shall the good man teach his son;
And Crispin Crispian shall ne'er go by,
From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be rememberèd—
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
This day shall gentle his condition;
And gentlemen in England now a-bed
Shall think themselves accurs'd they were not here,
And hold their manhoods cheap whiles any speaks
That fought with us upon Saint Crispin's day. ― Shakespeare's Henry V

AOPA are doing their very best to get matters aeronautical into perspective. A series of 'video' presentations, with a panel of qualified industry folk to answer questions and explain how far off the righteous path CASA have strayed. It is good stuff; and it is not my indaba, but IMO the broadcast should be well promoted before hand to ALL industry participants and made available on 'You Tube' for those who have NDI that AOPA have a 'Facebook' page. Seems a shame to waste the great content, when the discussion would be of interest to the aviation community – world wide. The question revolved around the vainglorious statement made by St Commode (patron saint of safety – who's we have not as yet determined) that CASA “got more right than it did wrong”. Load of old cobblers – supported by the CASA board (fact). AOPA's crew dealt with it 'robustly'. Watch the video – HERE -. Judge for yourself. Mathews (he of the CASA Board) should resign for being party to the greatest load of rubbish ever foisted on an uniformed public paymaster. 

Then we look about to see where the aircraft are – silly question – they're on the aerodromes ain't they. What bloody aerodromes? Our capitol city secondary airports are slowly, but most surely being built over and made not only unusable by aircraft of any size other than tiny, but rendered dangerous with large buildings 'nudging' (to the letter of the law) the safety areas alongside runways (not the take-off and land paths). Taxi in McDonalds and pick up for Hardly Normal and Spotlight stores purchases before flight. Like passenger terminals – direct track to the gate barred by 'retail outlets'. National disgrace and decimation of national assets - writ large in steel and concrete.

Should you find an airport from which you may safely operate your aircraft, don't get too comfy – or; heaven forbid, build yourself a hanger and an office. You are only an eviction notice away from the raggedy edge of bankruptcy; and, with the runway now making it illegal for operations – you may have to leave your air frames to the mercy of the bulldozers.

[Image: Moorabbin_Airport.jpg] 

Hitch - “The aviation businesses marked for eviction have nowhere else to go because MAC has not given them options. It's a case of get off my airport. Full stop. Aviation companies are not like most businesses: they need to operate on airports and if airports won't let them do that then they have no option but to close. If aviation businesses close, then aviation activity wanes. Non-aviation businesses don't have to be on an airport to operate; they can do that from any industrial estate. To add to the woes, several of the evicted companies own the hangars, which means they are obliged to pay for dismantling the buildings and rehabilitating the sites at a time when their cash flow has dried up because they've been forced out of business. Commercial non-aviation development should be restricted to the parts of the airport that aviation doesn't need and MAC simply should not be allowed to bulldoze infrastructure in the form of a taxiway that they themselves are leasing from the public.”

But, lets' say your airfield is safe for the moment and you build a flight school. Not the monsters we see in various parts of the ministers electorate but a modest affair to cater to those who are not overseas cadets. You spend your money, write your manuals, jump through the legal hoops and come out with an 'approval' to operate. Great. Then, on whim, CASA change their minds and shut you down; then, to add insult to injury, make sure that you can't get a job anywhere else. This is not a 'one off' story; Glen Buckley is simply one of the many victims of embuggerance – CASA style. Who will hold them to account and when? Save you some time – no one – not ever. Even if Buckley kicks a goal – it will not damage the ivory tower, not one bit.

Then, we come to the 'protected' species RAOz and their light Sports Aircraft – (LSA) which they seem through their great flight training schools – like SOAR – to be damaging 'em at a fair rate. That sort of stuff happens with flight training – however; why it happens in RAOz aircraft seems to be a bit of a mystery; investigation sure, even with some guarded 'assistance' from ATSB, who drop it as soon as legally possible. But where's the blasted report? How can anyone judge whether the training is flawed or the aircraft not suitable to task without 'statistics' and qualified, published investigation? For instance some of the LSA are on the VH (Australian) registration, using CASA qualified instructors. Those accident statistics are freely available and the reports give an indication of what, why and how. Nothing like that from RAOz – three lines for another fatal. Where's CASA in all this? Down the pub, washing their hands of it, that's where. 

[Image: SBG.jpg]

Hitch - “What other evidence can there be?”

Countering that, CASA is pointing at several crashes and a somewhat mysterious local test as proof the aircraft doesn't comply ... which is a statement not included in the local test results and not listed as a contributing factor by the ATSB in two of the accidents.

For those that have had to battle CASA, that might be sounding awfully familiar: demand more information then shut-up shop when the information arrives and continue to blame the other party. Regardless of what you think of the stall/spin characteristics of the Bristell, CASA's handling of the issue has once again been poor and unprofessional. It's an LSA. It either complies or it doesn't comply. How hard should that be to work out.

Aye; it all gives me a headache – the start of the tale murky and lost in the mists of no one paying attention; the middle is self evident on a daily basis. The ending - who knows. To quote TOM 'we're ducked mate; ducked good and proper and not a penny to show for it.

Why are there six eyes staring at me and one size 10 paw on my knee? I look up take a breath and, on the evening breeze I can now smell baked lamb and all the trimming coming from DT's domain. The workbench is a mess; tools laying about, shavings and sawdust litter the stable stones; temptation beckons and I cannot resist it. Take a bet; who'll get to the kitchen door first; safe bet – the cat. For an indolent being; it can get a shift on, when it suits. Dinner first, cigar and walk with the dogs and an Ale, to help cleaning up the mess on my workbench. Stay safe and wash your paws.

Selah.

P2 edit -  Wink

[Image: SBG-1.jpg]

Ref: https://www.facebook.com/AOPAaustralia/p...=3&theater

Quote:Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Australia

25 July · 

EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY: CASA CEO/DAS

Now is the time for major transformational change at CASA. Australia needs a powerhouse aviation and aerospace industry, creating employment opportunities that empower the nation. Imagine what could be achieved with the right leadership and thinking!

Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack MP, lets give Australia a prosperous, sustainable and safe aviation future the nation deserves.

I’m putting my application forward, we can do this, we can get the job done and set our industry on a pathway to lasting success!

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AOPA Australia CEO

NOT A MEMBER? WE NEED YOUR SUPPORT!
Join today: www.aopa.com.au/membership