AOPA Australia -

Thanks to Capt. Wanabee - Dicks 'Wagga Oration'. Run strong - done good.

Dick Smith/AOPA Oz campaign gains traction - Wink

https://soundcloud.com/user-583814671/di...0418-audio

From the time Dick delivered his excellent address (above) till today, puts proof to the old saying that..."a week in politics is a long time"

AOPA Facebook extracts.

On Sunday AOPA released their version of the Dick Smith oratory:

STOP THE LIE - UPDATE THE ACT
DICK SMITH PRESENTATION - WAGGA WAGGA
NOT A MEMBER? JOIN TODAY | WWW.AOPA.COM.AU

[/url][color=rgba(0,0,0,0.15)][Image: safe_image.php?d=AQAyTti1CqwRWTpH&w=540&...qukPfRCnD9][/color]
[url=https://vimeo.com/267055114/be52e2ea3a]

VIMEO.COM

DickSmith Address

This is "DickSmith Address" by lightstudios.com.au on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Then yesterday this... Rolleyes :

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association Australia
Yesterday at 3:02pm

AOPA AUSTRALIA TO MEET WITH LABOR'S ANTHONY ALBANESE MP, TO DISCUSS CHANGES TO THE CIVIL AVIATION ACT - 16th MAY 2018

The Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia has confirmed a meeting with Labor's Anthony Albanese MP, to discuss changes to the Civil Aviation Act - Wednesday, 16th May 2018.

AOPA Australia President, Marc De Stoop, and Executive Director, Benjamin Morgan, will attend the meeting.

NOT A MEMBER? JOIN TODAY | WWW.AOPA.COM.AU

[Image: 31543932_1247256195405303_88759165957219...e=5B53C2E9]

And now today we get this... Big Grin

1 hr ·
Just finished our meeting with Deputy Prime Minister, Michael McCormack, discussing our call to review and update to the Civil Aviation Act.

Standby for an AOPA Australia announcement this evening at 7:30pm.

NOT A MEMBER? JOIN TODAY | WWW.AOPA.COM.AU

[Image: 31743701_1247822358682020_38347189097982...e=5B5D691E]

Wink  - Excellent stuff but now is not the time to back off, now's the time to pour it on before the DPM/Minister gets the inevitable MOAS (mystique of aviation safety) trembles... Shy

MTF...P2  Cool

TURN UP THE HEAT, TIGHTEN THE SCREWS, LIGHT THE FIRE......NOW!

If Morgan and De Stoop aren’t careful they will find themselves receiving a knighthood from the IOS Australian Aviation Community!! Well done boys, well done.

Now, I’m not a huge fan of obsfucating Albo. Not a fan of many politicians at all actually. But desperate times call for desperate measures. If I need to be a political whore and support Labor and Albo so as to save my beloved industry then so be it. He gets my support.
Let’s all get behind Morgan and DeStoop, and Dick. The alphabet boys have a lot riding on taking such a vocal position. I’m not a rich man but I will stump up an instant $1000k for fund if one is started up. It’s not for an old fool like me, it’s for my grandkids and the kids out there right now with Aviation in their heart but the opportunity no longer there.

Well done Ben, Mark, Dick....

And the 7:30 announcement..

Quote:DEPUTY PRIME MINISTER CALLS FOR GENERAL AVIATION CONSENSUS ON UPDATE TO THE CIVIL AVIATION ACT.

AOPA Australia President, Marc De Stoop, and Executive Director, Benjamin Morgan, and AMROBA Executive Director, Ken Cannane, today met with Deputy Prime Minister, Michael McCormack to discuss our support for changes to the Civil Aviation Act and the need for immediate general aviation reforms.

The Minister recognised our industry’s need for change and acknowledged the efforts of AOPA Australia member, Dick Smith, in building broader awareness on the issue.

With respect to the proposed changes, the Minister has called for general aviation consensus, to assist the government in this process.

The AOPA Australia through our Australian General Aviation Alliance will now hold a General Aviation Summit in Wagga Wagga on the 4th to 6th June 2018, inviting representatives from all general aviation associations to participate.

The purpose of the Summit will be to develop a consensus proposal for the government on the issue of change to the Civil Aviation Act.

The Summit will be chaired by Mr Geoff Breust, former Managing Director of Regional Express.

The Minister has invited our associations back to Canberra for a follow-up meeting and we are looking forward to working with the Government to achieve this important reform for all of general aviation.

BENJAMIN MORGAN
AOPA Australia - Executive Director
Email: ben.morgan@aopa.com.au
Mobile: 0415 577 724

I regret to say that AOPA should not have agreed to obtaining a “consensus” before the promise of reform, inferred by the Minister, has any solid shape whatever.
The Ministers plain duty is to resolve disparate views in the National interest.
That reform is urgent has already been proven and the turnout to Dick Smith’s Wagga meeting endorsed this fact. So why more meetings that can only be attended by essentially the same people? Those retired GA types who don’t have to be struggling under the weight of the expensive and impossible strict liability criminal sanction rules of the implacable regulator.

LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION.....

In essence I understand Sandy’s point and don’t disagree - we’ve had more than enough waffle, conversations, meetings, talk fests, wank fests and in the words of Seinfeld; ‘yada yada yada’. That being plainly obvious, Sandy said;

“So why more meetings that can only be attended by essentially the same people”

With all due respect Sandy, the same people may attend these meetings, but the scope and direction of the meetings are changing. Dick, Ben and Mark aren’t attending just to air their grievances, they are pushing for the public to see that that our industry is dying and successive Governments, Ministers and their agencies are the ones responsible and need to be brought to account openly and publicly, even if that means targeting marginal seats and applying pressure and having their sorry asses kicked out. The situation is now critical and the muppets in fairlyland Cant’berra can’t see beyond their comfy offices and superannuation accounts. The public meetings and forums need to continue to shift from a ‘how do we fix this problem’ approach to a ‘you will fix this problem approach and if you don’t or won’t then we will publicly push for and support any politician who will fix the problem’.

The only way to force change, other than by means of a smoking hole with a Roo tail sticking out of it, is to target politicians, their seats, their comfy disconnected existence and careless attitude towards aviation constituents they are paid to represent....

TICK TOCK

Yeah - but;

Sandy – “I regret to say that AOPA should not have agreed to obtaining a “consensus” before the promise of reform, inferred by the Minister, has any solid shape whatever.”

The minister has handed over a powerful weapon – if the ‘industry’ can figure out how to use it. Despite the ‘differences’ and differing agendas and ‘needs’ – of the various organizations, and I do include the big operators; they all have one thing in common. All, from Qantas to the smallest insignificant group of aviation enthusiasts would benefit from the two things they all want – an Act which directs the ‘Authority’ to act in a manner which is beneficial and sanity in the rule set. NZ, UK and the USA are world leaders and Europe is catching up fast – they have a ‘reasonable’ Act and workable rule sets.

I reckon if the various representative voices could all, just for even a short period, agree that these two essential elements must be provided, it would be a great thing for this nation. Once the changes have been made, they can return to their own agenda, protect their rice bowls and squabble all they like. Win the first round, the rest will follow as a matter of course..

All it would take is one simple statement:-

Dear Minister.

The IOS support the call for a reformation of the Air Navigation Act and the adoption of the (FAA/UK/EASA/NZ – insert one) rule set.

Luv and kisses

IOS.

There, easy as pie – then the minister would be obliged to honour his promises; that, standing alone would be a fine thing. A politicians promise kept ! hell I’d pay good money to see that happen.

Update: Dick Smith/AOPA Oz v McCormack.

First a link for BM ABC radio (Riverina, NSW) telephone interview 02/05/18:

https://soundcloud.com/abcnsw/benjamin-m...-McCormack

Benjamin Morgan, Executive Director – Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association (AOPA) of Australia on concerns from the aviation industry speaking to Anne Delaney ABC Riverina

Next via Oz Flying:

Quote:[Image: AGAA_web.jpg]AOPA, SAAA and AMROBA are the three founding members of the Australian General Aviation Alliance (AGAA) (composite image Diamond Aircraft / Steve Hitchen)

AGAA calls for Summit to propose Act Amendment
1 May 2018

The Australian General Aviation Alliance (AGAA) will hold a summit of all general aviation associations to propose amendments to the Civil Aviation Act.

Scheduled for Wagga Wagga 4-6 June this year, the summit comes in the wake of a meeting between members of AGAA and Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Michael McCormack held yesterday.

AOPA Executive Director Ben Morgan told Australian Flying the he felt a change to the Act to remove the priority of safety over all else was possible, but that the minister had no stated position at this time.

"The Minister recognised our industry’s need for change and acknowledged the efforts of AOPA Australia member, Dick Smith, in building broader awareness on the issue," Morgan said in an announcement last night.

"With respect to the proposed changes, the Minister has called for general aviation consensus, to assist the government in this process.

The purpose of the AGAA summit is to develop such a consensus, and present the minister with a clear picture of what is needed.

Former former Managing Director of Regional Express Geoff Breust has agreed to chair the summit.

"The Minister has invited our associations back to Canberra for a follow-up meeting and we are looking forward to working with the Government to achieve this important reform for all of general aviation," Morgan said further.

Activist Dick Smith also called for a change to the Civil Aviation Act in a speech delivered to around 100 people in Wagga Wagga last week.

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...k8cmPTW.99

And via the Oz today:

Quote:Summit to agree on proposal

[Image: a901e135ec2150575183e52e326afd82]12:00amANNABEL HEPWORTH

Australia’s general aviation sector is ramping up its reform campaign, planning a summit next month aimed at developing a consensus proposal for changes to the Civil Aviation Act.

The summit will be chaired by former Regional Express managing director Geoff Breust.

The move comes as the Aircraft Owners and ­Pilots Association prepares to meet Labor’s Anthony Albanese next week.

This week, AOPA executive director Benjamin Morgan and president Marc De Stoop and Aviation Maintenance Repair and Overhaul Business Association director Ken Cannane met Transport Minister Michael McCormack to discuss its concerns.

Mr Morgan said the group wanted to be in a position where there was support to propose the changes. “The past two decades the process of reform for aviation has been plagued by delay, government reviews, and we are seeking to bring an end to that delay to bring the government a clear consensus so that we may quickly transition to a new act to support growth opportunity.”

Invitations to the summit were sent out yesterday to Mr McCormack and Mr Albanese.

Earlier this year, businessman and former aviation safety chairman Dick Smith revealed Barnaby Joyce, then transport minister, and Mr Albanese had indicated support for amendments to the Civil Aviation Act.

These would have required the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to ­operate in a manner that recognised the need for “an ­efficient and sustainable Aus­tralian aviation industry”.

MTF...P2 Tongue

Extract from this week's SBG: Gates of Horn and Ivory.

Quote:[Image: The-Act-e1526173880337.jpg]
Dick Smith – Wagga Wagga Aviation Oration. | AuntyPru.com : Home of …
AuntyPru.com

Then, there is reforming ‘the Act’ waiting in the long queue at the Ivory gate. This is formed by those waiting on reports to be finalized, ICAO requirements to be met and some useful information related to preventing accident re-occurrence. Pel-Air is one such, the Essendon crash another; with some other close calls on the three year delay cycle.

[Image: 8b70a0938cd7ed0b4b8d62d66222967d-e1526174175772.jpg]
[Image: 1487723055306-e1517741009971.jpg]
[Image: 58acb5a7c36188b52c8b464f-e1526174819290.jpg]
[Image: mil-1-e1526174976134.png]
pelair hashtag on Twitter 
Twitter #pelair hashtag on Twitter

But enough of all that – there’s been enough written and said this week about the truly alarming state of aviation: for those of an inquiring nature to digest. The truly dreadful thing is the reluctance of successive government to actually ring in the changes, which is bad enough, but when the agencies get tea, sympathy and robust support from those who could effect the changes – it’s time to fold up the tents and melt back into the wilderness.

Its rare, but occasionally I’ll accept a ‘commission’ from an antiques dealer of my acquaintance to ‘restore’ a piece of furniture; there are rules though. I’ll only take on a rare, exquisite, unique piece, – ‘a thing of beauty and a joy forever’ – so to speak. When something like that turns up, often abused it takes a while to sort out, repair (as it was made) and restore it to glory. Can you imagine the uproar if I treated the piece in the same manner as our ministers treat aviation? A quick whip around with the glue pot, rub of sandpaper here, dab of lacquer there, quick polish with Mr Sheen and out of the door with a hefty invoice attached. Man, I’d get sued to the end of time. We pay an incredible sum for the services of government, we pay them to take responsibility and trust ‘em to do the right thing. It begs the question – why did we actually buy the Harbour Bridge and why are we still paying for it?

We are in a mess Minister – you know it, we know it, the tea lady knows it. What are you going to do about cleaning it up? I’ll give you a hint – throwing money at ATSB and CASA won’t and never has fixed anything; quite the reverse in fact.

[Image: April-BN-800x445-e1524359380770.jpg]

Aye well: another week has slipped away without a even glimmer of hope that the minister or even the Senate RRAT committee will actually begin the restoration project. But restoration requires knowledge, skill, patience and understanding; all of which seem to be missing from the politicians tool box – well, that and the interest in doing a job properly, finished tidy, tools clean, bench swept. No matter – there’s a good fire in the old stove, the stable is cosy warm, the dogs nicely toasted after being cold and wet – P7 is due any tick of the clock, the coffee pot is full and there are croissants. That should cheer a bleak day.

Toot – toot..

AOPA Oz Presser today - 14 May 2018:

[Image: 15894256_953888234742102_324544041238266...e=5B85BB13]
29 mins 

GENERAL AVIATION SUMMIT 2018 - WAGGA WAGGA
CALLING FOR AN UPDATE TO THE CIVIL AVIATION ACT

I am pleased to announce that twenty-eight (28) Australian general aviation industry associations have confirmed their attendance for the upcoming General Aviation Summit 2018 - calling for an update to the Civil Aviation Act.

The participation of the vast majority of Australia’s general aviation industry associations conveys a clear message to both the Minister and Government, that our industry is determined to end aviation decline, seeking a cooperative transition towards growth and opportunity through a positive change to the Civil Aviation Act.

I thank the participating general aviation industry associations below for their commitment and participation.

In the spirit of bipartisan support, both the Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Michael McCormack MP, and Mr Anthony Albanese MP, have been invited to attend.

If you are a member of an industry association that is not listed below and would like them to be represented at the General Aviation Summit 2018, please call 0415 577 724. The Summit is open to all general aviation associations and we welcome full participation.

Sincerely,

BENJAMIN MORGAN
Executive Director - AOPA Australia

ATTENDING GA INDUSTRY ASSOCIATIONS

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia (AOPA Australia)
Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA)
Aircraft Maintenance Repair Overhaul Business Association (AMROBA)
Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA)
Aircraft Electronics Association – South Pacific Region (AEA)
Australian Aircraft Manufacturers Association (AAMA)
Australian Business Aviation Association (ABAA)
Experimental Light Aircraft Association of Australia (ELAAA)
Recreational Aviation Australia Limited (RAAUS)
Australian Warbirds Associations Limited (AWAL)
Australian Women Pilots Association (AWPA)
Seaplane Pilots Association of Australia (SPAA)
RotorTech
Australian Aero Clubs Alliance (AACA)
Royal Federation of Aero Clubs (RFAC)
Airtourer Association (AA)
Cessna 182 Association of Australia (C182AA)
Cessna 200 Association of Australia (C200AA)
Cirrus Owner Pilots Association (COPA)
Lancair Owner Builder Organisation (LOBO)
Australian Beechcraft Society (ABA)
Australian Mooney Pilots Association (AMPA)
International Comanche Society – Australia (ICS)
Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA)
Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA)
Australian Parachute Federation (APF)
Your Central Coast Airport (YCCA)
Regional Airport User Action Group (RAUAG)

The Reform Plate.

The entries for the Reform Plate hurdles marathon are starting to roll in – a long journey, big hurdles, muddy track and some serious contenders. The BRB decided to field a couple of runners, the trick was deciding which; so we had an Indaba….

It was a strange BRB indaba last evening; I only say strange because for once there was no ‘debate’. Usually there are at least two teams – often three when something is being discussed, the subject gets kicked around, thrashed out and a consensus reached. Not so this time – all on the same page and no dissent: changing the Act – and everyone nodding. Then some bright spark popped up with “OK – so what do we want changed?”

Dead silence for a beat. Then pandemonium; every thing from ‘burn the ducking thing’ to ‘only a word or two’ were ‘suggested’ as cures. So much for a quiet chat over a glass or two and a game of darts. P7 was in the chair and quickly brought the meeting to order (threatened to have the beer turned off). Eventually though a unanimous agreement was reached, on several topics, with surprisingly little fuss.

Even more surprising was the cost effective elegance and simplicity of the solution – I was impressed. So – FWIW and for the little good it will do, herewith – the BRB resolutions:-

Two changes to the Act. (i) Adopt either the UK (preferred) or the USA clauses which release CASA from the iron chains which bind them to ‘safety’ regardless of cost.

UK - “...provide air transport services which satisfy... public demand at the lowest charges consistent with a high standard of safety... and an economic return to efficient operators... ” British CAA Act (2012)

Our CASA is bound hand and foot by the risible

“CASA must seek to achieve the highest level of safety in air
navigation that is consistent with:

This statement must be struck out, by doing this it will allow CASA some wriggle room to draft sensible regulations which achieve the same ‘efficiency’, safety and ease of compliance both the UK and the USA enjoy.

Secondly – the Act should allow Australia to adopt the NZ regulations or even the USA systems. Those rules have produced a fine ‘safety’ record and assisted an industry to flourish. Australia has spent almost half a Billion over thirty odd years on reformed regulation and has not only failed to improve ‘safety’ but strangled an industry in the process.

There was an objection or two to this proposal – based on implementation. P7 came up with the solution and the objections dissipated. A simple two step plan which would, within 18 months see the industry enjoying the benefits and massive saving under a clean, concise, compliance friendly rule set. (i) Tell the industry that the NZ regulations will be in force 2020. (ii) Allow a 12 month to prepare revised expositions; train CASA staff during this period to the new rule set – then use the following half year to have the expositions approved. Sure, everyone will be flat out, but it is do-able. Must be done if matters aeronautical are to improve. Once it is done – another twelve month will see the loose ends tucked away – tidy and the system running as smoothly as it ever does.

Item next was ministerial ‘responsibility’. Unanimous – CASA cannot and must not be allowed to operate without supervision, that has been a disastrous experiment. It imperative that CASA be accountable and responsible for their actions and the massive amounts of money they plough their way through. Control, checks and balances - either the Senate RRAT committee or the minister; two choices, no options.  

A big ticket item was the decriminalization of the regulations and removal of strict liability. This is an essential item. The department (CASA) elected to make the regulation so; this was not a legal obligation, but their choice. There are clearly defined guidelines for deciding what is ‘criminal’ or 'serious' and what is not. There are many ‘strict liability’ offences which may be successfully defended- if the option was there. It is not. Simple things – like pilot log books, many, myself included keep a small pocket diary to jot down flight and duty times, these transcribed into the log book once home after a tour of duty, when convenient. This constitutes a criminal offence of strict liability and a criminal record. Discussion of this topic inevitably led to the despised ‘Enforcement manual’ and the CASA ‘Ethics committee’. If ever a minister or a Senator wanted to understand why CASA is distrusted, disliked and disrespected – take a look at the preface to the EM then examine some of the Ethics committee decisions – it will disgust them as much it does industry. A shoddy, unworthy disgrace to this county? 100% agreement.

Those were the major points  covered. There was a strong call for industry expertise to replace the often stumbling, fumbling antics and pipe dreams of those who ‘work’ (and I use the term loosely) for the ‘authority’. This would be a fine thing and the ministers name would go down in aviation legend as the man who saved an industry; jobs, revenue, national pride and the sanity of those involved in matters aeronautical.

That’s it (abridged version) from the BRB/IOS indaba – it usually takes a day or two for the e-mail returns to come back from the various loops; but, my short priced favourite is ‘Total support’ with Self Interest and Dissenters out of the running. Aye, place your bet here minister – I’ll take your money; then I’ll use it to buy an air ticket for whichever of your political opponents decides a trip to Wagga will score the most points and make you look disinterested and gutless. Hey, maybe Barnaby will come along – now that would be nice.

Toot - toot.

Ben Morgan's radio interview yesterday..

With acknowledgement to Bill Hamilton and Ken Cannane.

When we are calling for FAA regulations (NZ would be better, they are the FARs cleaned up) here we have IN AUSTRALIA, an example of the wholesale adoption, by numbered reference, of the complete suite of design, certification and manufacturing regulations from US.

This information with minor editing and additions comes from a colleague who was intimately involved in achieving these reforms. Or you can open the CASA rule book and see for yourself.

It was, and is, just as important to the airlines as GA, for example the changes completely transformed the economics of the B767, if we still had the old Australian pre-1998 rules, the B787 (and B777) would not be economically viable on the VH- register.

CASR 23-35 is straight FAR 23-35. Some changes were made to FAR 21 to produce CASR 21, but they were "across the board" benefits also, not just for GA, and the then existing Australia rules for same were swapped out (dumped/repealed) completely. Unfortunately the major update of FAR 21 of 2009 has not been followed up by CASA, and this should be part of the overall reform package.

Therefore it was REVOLUTION, not EVOLUTION.
THE MESSAGE IS: HERE IN AUSTRALIA, is a large scale example of adoption of US aviation rules, with ONLY BENEFITS, and NO SAFETY NEGATIVES.

This should be part of the message in selling FARs, Australia has part done part of it already 20 years ago and it works.

This is not some "leap in the dark", but a proven method of reform and change.

Insofar as the AOPA and AGAA strategy is concerned the PAIN position puts forward a rational plan to reform the regulatory environment for aviation.
The pressure should remain because if the foot comes off the pedal its too easy for Minister McCormack to be swayed by the senior bureaucrats and to go the comfortable cover of Do Nothing Land. To be responsible for major change is not in the DNA of McCormack, if it had been he would have agreed to the minor and thoroughly innocuous changes to the Act as prosposed with Banarby J and Mr. Albanese. He could have got there in a week at most. Months have ground on and the last few GA flyings schools are being put to the torch with a transition to the new and unworkable Part 141 and 142 rules, the expenses will cruel many of the few left. That independent instructors in the US teach 70% of their pilots is of no concern whatever to the impervious CASA.

Update from AOPA Oz on Wagga Summit:

Via the UP:

Quote:General Aviation Summit 2018 - Wagga Wagga, NSW

I am pleased to announce that thirty one (31) industry associations have confirmed their attendance. Both the Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Michael McCormack MP and Mr Anthony Albanese MP have confirmed their attendance. We are awaiting the confirmation of the Rural and Regional Affairs Transport Committee.

Invited Special Guests
  • Deputy Prime Minister, The Hon Michael McCormack MP - Confirmed

• Mr Anthony Albanese MP, Shadow Minister for Transport - Confirmed

• The Mayor, City of Wagga Wagga, Councillor Greg Conkey - Confirmed

• Rural and Regional Affairs Transport Committee - Pending
Confirmed Industry Associations:
  1. Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia (AOPA Australia)

2. Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA)

3. Aircraft Maintenance Repair Overhaul Business Association (AMROBA)

4. Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA)

5. Aircraft Electronics Association – South Pacific Region (AEA)

6. Australian Aircraft Manufacturers Association (AAMA)

7. Australian Business Aircraft Association (ABAA)

8. Experimental Light Aircraft Association of Australia (ELAAA)

9. Recreational Aviation Australia Limited (RAAUS)

10. Australian Warbirds Associations Limited (AWAL)

11. Australian Women Pilots Association (AWPA)

12. Seaplane Pilots Association of Australia (SPAA)

13. Rotorcraft

14. Australian Aero Clubs Alliance (AACA)

15. Royal Federation of Aero Clubs (RFAC)

16. Airtourer Association (AA)

17. Cessna 182 Association of Australia (C182AA)

18. Cessna 200 Association of Australia (C200AA)

19. Cirrus Owner Pilots Association (COPA)

20. Lancair Owner Builder Organisation (LOBO)

21. Australian Beechcraft Society (ABA)

22. Australian Mooney Pilots Association (AMPA)

23. International Comanche Society – Australia (ICS)

24. Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA)

25. Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA)

26. Australian Parachute Federation (APF)

27. Regional Airport Users Action Group (RAUAG)

28. Your Central Coast Airport Association (YCCA)

29. The Honourable Company of Air Pilots

30. The Australian International Pilots Association (AIPA)

31. The Australian Indigenous Aviation Foundation (AIAF)
MTF...P2 Tongue

There is a most satisfactory – as yet unconfirmed rumour floating around that AOPA (Oz) have been rehabilitated to the GAG panel – an have a voice with the ministerial choir. This, if true is a very, very good thing. AOPA joining in the debate, despite petty differences can only add weight to the long held argument supporting a change to the ‘the Act’.

That change will release CASA from the tight constraints they are obliged, by ‘the Act’ to operate under. Maybe, perhaps, there is a candle flickering in window, far, far away. Keep plodding along chaps; one foot after another.

Speaking of another – its Wanabee’s shout and my glass looks anorexic.

Changing of the guard at AOPA Oz?

Via the Oz:

Quote:Veteran steps into in pilot’s seat

[Image: 71742406ea00380cbbfebdb9850c85f3]ANNABEL HEPWORTH
Stepping into a new leadership role, pilot Aminta Hennessy knows there’s a fight to keep the industry alive.

Aminta Hennessy to head Australian Owners and Pilots Association

Aminta Hennessy, the first Australian woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1978, has a new challenge: to spearhead the push to turn around the beleaguered general aviation sector.

Ms Hennessy has just been made president of the Australian Owners and Pilots Association of Australia at a time when the sector is confronting costs and red tape.

“The industry has done a huge amount for me, so I thought, give something back,” she said.

These days, she’s a director of Clamback & Hennessy, a flight school at Bankstown Airport, but with 19,000 flying hours in Australia, North America, Asia and Europe, Ms Hennessy has seen the change across the sector.

For now, she is feeling very positive about next month’s general aviation summit planned for Wagga Wagga — in Michael ­McCormack’s Riverina electorate — that is aimed at developing a consensus proposal for changes to the Civil Aviation Act. “The trouble with general aviation is getting them all together and to stay together is very, very difficult because these are very inde­pendent, individualistic people, other­wise they wouldn’t be ­pilots,” Ms Hennessy said.

Earlier this year, businessman and former aviation safety chairman Dick Smith revealed that Barnaby Joyce, then transport minister, and Labor’s Anthony Albanese had indicated support for amendments to the Civil Aviation Act that would require the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to ­operate in a manner that recognised the need for “an efficient and sustainable Australian ­aviation industry”, as well as the “highest level of safety in air navigation”.

Already Ms Hennessy has her sights on regulatory reform around flight training. She favours the US system, which she’d like to see “superimposed” here. “The layers of bureaucracy that are being shoved on to flying training are just endless,” she said.

She points to part 61 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations that deals with flight crew licensing: to be a testing officer, there was now “another layer of bureaucracy” of an examiner rating which must be renewed.

CASA argued that the examiner proficiency check was not an extra layer but a “better way of doing it” and said it had flight examiners identifying “significant learnings outcomes” resulting from doing the check.

Ms Hennessy said: “The flying training industry is just slowly disappearing. It’s too hard. It’s just compliance, compliance, compliance, more cost, more cost, more cost.”

And via Oz Flying:

Quote:Aminta Hennessy Announced New President of AOPA
1 June 2018
Comments 0 Comments

[Image: Aminta.jpg]
Aminta Hennessy has today been announced president of the Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association.

Ms Hennessy succeeds Mark de Stoop who was president for three years. As a result of a reconfiguration of the AOPA executive team, AOPA presidents are now limited to a three-year term.

Ms Hennessy, a well-known advocate of general aviation, is a director of Clamback and Hennessy Flying School at Bankstown Airport, grade one instructor and flight examiner. With over 19,000 flying hours, Ms Hennessy has been a vocal spokesperson of regulatory reform in general aviation. Her term commences as the Australian General Aviation Alliance (AGAA) prepares for a summit in Wagga Wagga in July, aimed at establishing a consensus for changes to the Civil Aviation Act. The summit is scheduled for July 9 -10.

The AOPA also welcomes five new board members: Ross Harrison, Shaun Kelly, Gerard Kitt, Richard Talbot and Ben Wyndham. “In two years, we’ve reconfigured the board,” AOPA Executive Director Ben Morgan said. “We now have a very powerful group of professional pilots from ATPL holders to RA-Aus specialists. Richard Talbot represents experimental aircraft; Gerard Kitt is a business owner within RA-Aus; Ross Harrison is a helicopter pilot and director of Cirrus Sunshine Coast, and Shaun Kelly is an experienced float plane operator. We are now represented across many sectors of the industry, which allows us to attain our goal of strong advocacy across general aviation.”

Regarding AOPA’s membership numbers, Mr Morgan told Australian Flying, “Our membership has increased from 2,300 to 3,100 in two years. Two and a half thousand young pilots have experienced our flight simulators since we commenced the program and the AOPA bus has generated over $38,000 in income this year. We’ve have had the largest investment in AOPA – over $85,000 this year – in thirty years. We are planning a series of workshops and seminars throughout 2019.”

Asked about AOPA’s investors, Mr Morgan said, “I would like to express my thanks and gratitude to Dick Smith, Peter Clisdell, Bus Charter and Flight Charter. Without their sponsorship, we would not be in the strong position we are right now. General Aviation is ready for change. That is demonstrated by our growing membership, our strong board and our commitment to flight safety.”

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...vfO0ZiR.99

Hmm...all this latest activity - see GAAG submits flight plan to DPM McNobody - is a little suspect don't you think? Dodgy

Oh well I guess all will be revealed in the coming month? Shy

MTF...P2 Tongue

(06-01-2018, 08:45 AM)Peetwo Wrote:  Changing of the guard at AOPA Oz?

Via the Oz:

Quote:Veteran steps into in pilot’s seat

[Image: 71742406ea00380cbbfebdb9850c85f3]ANNABEL HEPWORTH
Stepping into a new leadership role, pilot Aminta Hennessy knows there’s a fight to keep the industry alive.

Aminta Hennessy to head Australian Owners and Pilots Association

Aminta Hennessy, the first Australian woman to fly solo across the Atlantic in 1978, has a new challenge: to spearhead the push to turn around the beleaguered general aviation sector.

Ms Hennessy has just been made president of the Australian Owners and Pilots Association of Australia at a time when the sector is confronting costs and red tape.

“The industry has done a huge amount for me, so I thought, give something back,” she said.

These days, she’s a director of Clamback & Hennessy, a flight school at Bankstown Airport, but with 19,000 flying hours in Australia, North America, Asia and Europe, Ms Hennessy has seen the change across the sector.

For now, she is feeling very positive about next month’s general aviation summit planned for Wagga Wagga — in Michael ­McCormack’s Riverina electorate — that is aimed at developing a consensus proposal for changes to the Civil Aviation Act. “The trouble with general aviation is getting them all together and to stay together is very, very difficult because these are very inde­pendent, individualistic people, other­wise they wouldn’t be ­pilots,” Ms Hennessy said.

Earlier this year, businessman and former aviation safety chairman Dick Smith revealed that Barnaby Joyce, then transport minister, and Labor’s Anthony Albanese had indicated support for amendments to the Civil Aviation Act that would require the Civil Aviation Safety Authority to ­operate in a manner that recognised the need for “an efficient and sustainable Australian ­aviation industry”, as well as the “highest level of safety in air navigation”.

Already Ms Hennessy has her sights on regulatory reform around flight training. She favours the US system, which she’d like to see “superimposed” here. “The layers of bureaucracy that are being shoved on to flying training are just endless,” she said.

She points to part 61 of the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations that deals with flight crew licensing: to be a testing officer, there was now “another layer of bureaucracy” of an examiner rating which must be renewed.

CASA argued that the examiner proficiency check was not an extra layer but a “better way of doing it” and said it had flight examiners identifying “significant learnings outcomes” resulting from doing the check.

Ms Hennessy said: “The flying training industry is just slowly disappearing. It’s too hard. It’s just compliance, compliance, compliance, more cost, more cost, more cost.”

Hmm...all this latest activity - see GAAG submits flight plan to DPM McNobody - is a little suspect don't you think? Dodgy

Oh well I guess all will be revealed in the coming month? Shy

Comment from Sandy in reply to the Oz article... Wink

Quote:We wish Aminta the very best, AOPA is at last becoming a real voice for the reforms that must happen if General Aviation (GA) is to turn the corner. As for the CASA and the reported answer; “CASA argued that the examiner proficiency check was not an extra layer but a “better way of doing it” and said it had flight examiners identifying “significant learnings outcomes” resulting from doing the check.” ——
——-UTTER RUBBISH. 

CASA, a self serving independent behemoth having grown itself into a massive fee gouging salary factory cannot be believed in any way shape or form. CASA used to be part of the Public Service, no longer. Now you may notice everywhere they call themselves the Public Sector. CASA has tricked Parliament into migrating even the most minor infringements into the criminal code and, incredibly, as matters of strict liability. If Parliament continues to shelve it’s responsibilities GA in Australia will continue to slide with the great loss of jobs, businesses and services, already evident the last 20 years, and bound to accelerate. 

MTF...P2  Tongue

A twiddle – of three legged egg and spoon races.

[Image: maxresdefault.jpg]

I can’t paint a picture for nuts – so I rely on trusty Google to provide images. The one above, (the Bodgers race day) IMO, perfectly reflects the first event on the Wagga Reform Plate race day program. Well, it does.

There’s the government and industry tied together, carrying an egg, in a spoon, across a rough paddock; the agencies trying to win and a bit of pushing and shoving going on. You may wonder why the industry and government are tied together; well, ‘tis a simple enough matter.

Both want the one same thing – a safe, peaceful, profitable, productive industry. The departmental opposition seem hell bent on preventing that; for they loose more than the race.

This industry could quite well self regulate with a sensible audit/oversight program. Safety – (whatever that is). More accurately, the responsibility for ‘safety’ already, through the rules rests firmly and squarely on industry shoulders; which essentially leaves the ‘minister’ out of the dog house, when the unmentionable hits the windmill. Of course, self regulation is out of the question – however reasonable regulation, outcome based, non punitive (except for that which the law defines as ‘criminal’) under an Act of parliament which allowed for a sane rule set, would see government and industry bowling along to the finish line at a canter.

The only part of ‘aviation’ which draws down huge benefits from the present system are the safety agencies’ at a great, unnecessary financial impost to the public and returns nothing. It is this which takes away commonwealth funds which could be better used elsewhere, to the common good. That don’t make any sense to me at all.

The government can pick its own partner for the race – will it pick an expensive dead weight to lug around for zero return on investment - or a revenue generating industry employing thousands?

And NO Thorny- I will not set odds for a two horse, three legged race involving the carriage of eggs over bumpy terrain. Millions have been lost backing the wrong team – every time.

Bodging, by the way is great fun, difficult to get right, but carrying a pedal lathe through sunlit English forests to work on freshly chopped timber far from the townsfolk is a long remembered experience – especially when it rains……..

Toot toot.

Numbers confirmed for Wagga GAS.

Via Oz Flying:

Quote:Thirty Two Associations Confirmed for General Aviation Summit
15 June 2018

[Image: AGAA_web.jpg]

Thirty two associations have confirmed their attendance at the Australian General Aviation Alliance (AGAA) summit in Wagga Wagga on July 9 - 10.

The summit aims to propose amendments to the Civil Aviation Act in the wake of a meeting between members of AGAA and Minister for Infrastructure and Transport, Michael McCormack, held last month.

In addition to the Deputy Prime Minister, Mr Michael McCormack MP and Mr Anthony Albanese MP, confirmed assocations are:

Aircraft Owners and Pilots Association of Australia (AOPA Australia)
Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA)
Aircraft Maintenance Repair Overhaul Business Association (AMROBA)
Australian Licensed Aircraft Engineers Association (ALAEA)
Aircraft Electronics Association – South Pacific Region (AEA)
Australian Aircraft Manufacturers Association (AAMA)
Australian Business Aircraft Association (ABAA)
Experimental Light Aircraft Association of Australia (ELAAA)
Recreational Aviation Australia Limited (RAAUS)
Australian Warbirds Associations Limited (AWAL)
Australian Women Pilots Association (AWPA)
Seaplane Pilots Association of Australia (SPAA)
Rotorcraft
Australian Aero Clubs Alliance (AACA)
Royal Federation of Aero Clubs (RFAC)
Airtourer Association (AA)
Cessna 182 Association of Australia (C182AA)
Cessna 200 Association of Australia (C200AA)
Cirrus Owner Pilots Association (COPA)
Lancair Owner Builder Organisation (LOBO)
Australian Beechcraft Society (ABA)
Australian Mooney Pilots Association (AMPA)
International Comanche Society – Australia (ICS)
Hang Gliding Federation of Australia (HGFA)
Gliding Federation of Australia (GFA)
Australian Parachute Federation (APF)
Regional Airport Users Action Group (RAUAG)
Your Central Coast Airport Association (YCCA)
The Honourable Company of Air Pilots
The Australian International Pilots Association (AIPA)
The Australian Indigenous Aviation Foundation (AIAF)

AOPA Executive Director Ben Morgan told Australian Flying today, "the most important outcome of this meeting is to demonstrate the effectiveness of general aviation associations working together. Many general aviation groups have felt they have lost their voice, and by in coming together as one, we will achieve so much more. Two years ago, the AOPA made a decision to make a lot of noise in defending general aviation in the wider industry. This summit, a very successful meeting with Anthony Albanese MP last week, and an unpcoming appointment with the Department of Infrastrcuture next week, demonstrate how general aviation is now reaping the benefit."

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...Dw5VgTg.99

MTF...P2  Tongue

AOPA/SAAA letter to Carmody et.al cont/- 

Following on from this Dick Smith thread post:

Quote:LOTW: Dear Shane - AOPA letter to CC  [Image: wink.gif] 

In the lead up to the Wagga summit I have to award BM & AOPA Oz a packet of TimTams for the following correspondence to DAS Carmody: https://www.facebook.com/AOPAaustralia/p...8027878786

I note that Hitch is back from swanning around in Europe and has immediately picked up on the BM correspondence to CC and the miniscule. Via Oz Flying:

Quote:
  • [Image: Generic_medical.jpg]Aviation medical standards in Australia have been under scrutiny for years.
AOPA and SAAA push CASA on Medicals

AOPA Australia and the Sport Aircraft Association of Australia (SAAA) have renewed their drive for driver's licence medicals for pilots flying VH-registered aircraft.

In separate but identical letters addressed to both CASA and Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack dated yesterday, the associations cited CASA's decision to allow Recreational Aviation Australia to administer aircraft up to 760 kg MTOW as justification for applying similar privileges to pilots flying CASA-registered aircraft in the same category.

"We are ... encouraged that CASA is reviewing an MTOW increase of 601-760 kg for Recreational Pilots Certificate holders signalling that the Regulator's decision in December 2017 to reject self-certification for general aviation RPL and PPL holders was premature," the SAAA letter signed by President Tony White says.

"Understanding that CASA’s role is to develop aviation safety standards for the whole of our industry, we applaud CASA in making this decision and now look forward to its implementation for RPL and PPL holders who fly private category VH registered aircraft with an MTOW of up to 600 kg and onwards to 601-760 kg once CASA approves.

"CASA must agree that it would be entirely inappropriate for it to discriminate between an RAAus RPC holder or CASA RPL/PPL holder, given that you have stated ‘no reduction in the existing safety standards’ exits."

In July 2016, the SAAA made attempts to have CASA extend the driver's licence medical system to SAAA members who also flew two-seat aircraft with an MTOW below 601 kg.Medical reforms instituted by CASA in November 2017 did not include this provision

Read more at http://www.australianflying.com.au/lates...EkCEwsU.99

And a sense and sensibility comment from Mike Borgelt... Wink

Quote:Mike Borgelt  a day ago

For heaven's sakes. Just use the new UK standard. The UK CAA did the risk analysis and the risk to innocent third parties muts be lower in Australia than the UK given the relative population densities. Even Australian cities are much more open than most overseas cities.

Australia doesn't even have the problem of being next to a continent with multiple other countries within easy flying distance. What we do here is for Australians to fly in Australia and those who wish to fly elsewhere can get a Class 2 medical.

Also no stupid restrictions on type or number of powerplants, please. This has zero to do with pilot medical fitness.

While we are at it, once a sensible medical is enacted along with sense on maintenance we can abolish the current RAAus and eliminate the stupidity and waste of two GA systems in Australia. RAAus is just an evasive CASA tax on aviation.

And from the LMH Hitch 'sort of, kind of' gives his OP on the issue... Dodgy

...A weight increase to 760 kg for RAAus-registered aircraft looks all but set in stone now. Both CASA and RAAus have made public statements to that effect, even though it was indicated only a couple of months ago that the industry would have to wait until CASR Part 149 was completed before anything could happen. Regardless, this is a big trophy for the RAAus cabinet. Their future plans depend on expanding their membership and getting the low-end of GA within their grasp is thought to be crucial to doing that. It will also mean homebuilders can build to higher weights rather than skimping on materials, equipment or design to squeeze in a bit more useful load. But is it going to work as RAAus plans? What would be the incentive for the owner of an aircraft like, say, an RV, to switch over from VH to RAAus reg? CASA is saying at the moment that maintenance of aircraft in the 601-760 kg range must stay with an approved MRO, so there's no advantage there. However, there is a huge incentive to change if the medical standards and qualifications are lower. That has caused the SAAA and AOPA to fire off a letter to CASA demanding parity with pilots of aircraft on the VH register. If CASA is forced on the point, will they concede to self-assessment or will they extend Class 2 or Basic Class 2 over to the new RAAus weight category? True equality can work backwards...

MTF...P2  Cool

Hmm, must be raining aluminium all over the USA and Canada at the moment.

From what I understand owner maintenance is fairly common over there, along with
indépendant instructors, no hundred thousand dollar AOC required.

But wait! their safety statistics are a hell of a lot better than ours, what gives?

I guess the Americans and Canadians just have a death wish or maybe Australians are just
too dumb to trust with actually doing maintenance without three warehouses full of enough
crushed trees to de-aforestate Tasmania.