AuntyPru Forum
Senate Estimates. - Printable Version

+- AuntyPru Forum (https://auntypru.com/forum)
+-- Forum: Senate Inquiry - Unplugged (https://auntypru.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Senate Estimates. 2020 (https://auntypru.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Thread: Senate Estimates. (/showthread.php?tid=37)

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Farmer Joe - 09-08-2015

GD and K,

Thank you for your welcome.  You know just cleaning dirt off spuds and sweeping chickenstuff out of the house gets a bit boring occasionally so one's mind turns to...ahem .....democracy...and down here in the South Island we got that new fandangled NBN Thingamy thanks to Stephen Conroy...bless his soul.

So me and me brother thought we'd do that electronic surfing thing and we came across this company making complex stuff out of simple things, ICCPM I think it's called. Or maybe it was making simple stuff out of complex things? I dunno...

And according to the senate and Airservices apparently they get government agencies to give them money for explaining complex stuff simple like.

Anyhow they had on their front "page" of their website this thing called a strategic visualisation.  Well, goddammned you know it reminded me of something else I'd seen before here...

Tried to insert a link to the graphic but this new fandangled web stuff got the better of me.  Check it out though, maybe one of you can associate it with something else??

Anyway, if I remember it or my bother does ( two heads always better than one ) I'll be sure to let you now....

Y'all take care now...

Farmer Joe

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Peetwo - 09-08-2015

Welcome Farmer Joe & in just two posts some interesting QONs, observations & dot joining you have already made... Wink

To begin on your last post - I'm not sure because the image link appears broken - with reference to the ICCPM wankers, who have transmogrified relationships with Thales etc. Here is a copy of a page from their website on 'Strategy Visualisation'.. Rolleyes

Quote:ICCPM's Strategy Visualisation

Here at ICCPM we have conducted a strategy visualisation process and have come up with our own visualisation (illustration) to help our staff, partners and network members to better understand where we are going and how we will get there. It is provided as one example.
[Image: iccpm_poster_final_med-900x655.jpg]
The Future of ICCPM through Strategy Visualisation

The ICCPM Vision is ‘to be internationally recognised for, building capability in organisations to deal with complex environments’.  We will deliver this vision through Stakeholder Relationships, Thought Leadership, Education and Solution Services.

The metaphor that we have used as the underlying theme of our visualisation is a jigsaw puzzle.  Our visualisation reads from bottom to top. In the first instance we decided to depict what we as an organisation face when working with individuals and groups that are struggling firstly to recognise the complexity that they are working in and secondly the barriers that we see in their willingness to do anything about it.  You will see our interpretation of the current state in which folks are simply on “auto pilot” or on the hamster wheel of process that constantly delivers failed projects, or are open to the belief that someone else can do what they can’t (conspiracy of optimism), or they just want to check-out due to the level of uncertainty.

We then demonstrate that it is our intention to provide people with the puzzle pieces to complete the jigsaw by providing the education necessary to move from a negative perception of complexity through an educational transformation designed to change your mindset, way of thinking and way of working, to one that opens the world to opportunity and a level of comfort in dealing with complex issues.

Our new world demonstrates the connections globally between people and sectors who have all become more capable and comfortable in working with complexity and complex projects. We also demonstrate that the ‘messes’ or complex issues and problems don’t go away, but our level of comfort in recognising and addressing them has changed, and conceptually they have become a smaller version of the larger “Mess”, and that this can only be achieved by people, through communication and collaboration.  Ideally we would like to be the glue that holds it all together, and the catalyst for others to ultimately be successful.

Our logo has been submerged beneath the water to demonstrate our desire to be an enabler of success.  Bearing in mind that this visualisation is our internal view of how we will deliver our organisational strategy we would be very pleased to talk about it with anyone who is interested, take any suggestions that you might have, and work with you and your organisation to develop one of your own.

About the Artist: Introducing Kieron Pratt
[Image: kieron_pratt.png]

Kieron Pratt is as colourful as his illustrations. He has a great sense of humour and is a ‘behind the scenes’ kind of person who would prefer to have his illustrations speak for him. Kieron was born in Melbourne and moved to Canberra in 1980 with his family and has been there ever since. He has always loved drawing since he was old enough to “eat his first red crayon”.

Before Kieron commenced our artwork I asked him to participate in our Systems Thinking and Complex Project Management three day workshop, it was not a test of his intestinal fortitude nor a social experiment to test the ability of the PMs in the room to cope with the widest angle diversity lens I could find, it was to help Kieron contextualise what we were hoping to achieve regarding thinking, behaving and working as part of a bigger, brighter system.  We believe that he got it!  Thank you Kieron, fantastic job my friend. 

Want to know more?  Find out about the process.
Please contact us (link sends e-mail) and we can answer your questions or put you directly in touch with our professional facilitator.

Key Partners
[Image: defence_inline_black-190x46.jpg]          [Image: BAE-190x29.gif]          [Image: Thales-128x18.gif]          [Image: LockheedMartin%20Logo%206%20in%20colorRGB-205x35.png]

From that - as FJ points out - it now becomes obvious where those courage badges came from; & how the ASA marketing team came up with that comic - FFS (sorry Ferryman got to do it.. Tongue ):  

[Image: air-services-australia-poster-edited.jpg] You gotta wonder about this mob - & who is shagging who?? - when you see who they're partnered up with... Undecided Maybe the Senators can get it from the horses head...

[Image: fb34e_Godfather-Pixar.jpg]

..(err sorry mouth) when they get to question Sir Angus tomorrow evening...

[Image: Angus-crew.jpg]
...& when Sir A gives them a private briefing afterwards.. Huh

Extract from Hansard 07 Sept 2015:
Quote:Rural and Regional Affairs and Transport Legislation Committee—public meeting during the sitting of the Senate today, from 4 pm, to take evidence for the committee's inquiry into the provisions of the Shipping Legislation Amendment Bill 2015. public meeting, followed by a private briefing, during the sitting of the Senate on Wednesday, 9 September 2015, from 5 pm, to take evidence for the committee's inquiry into the performance of Airservices Australia.

As for your first post Farmer Joe...

"..But in all the probity questioning from AsA's special attendance 2 weeks ago, NX asked about a LAHSO incident at Melbourne Airport in early July.

Mr Hood replied that it was a serious incident and ATSB was investigating.

Yet a perusal of the ATSB list of investigations on their website shows no such incident.

Didn't this website (?P2) a while ago question whether ATSB was really investigating all incidents submitted by AsA?.."

..I think we should take that observation - & it's obvious implications - to the SMH thread under my last post relevant to this query of yours -  ATSB CP Bullocks - Spring cleaning whitewash.

MTF...P2 Tongue

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Kharon - 09-08-2015

Yr just had to do it; now I’ve got two of those bloody awful posters, spawn of an adolescent brain which believes (because his Mum told him) that this is the way to rule the ducking world.  E ducking Nuff with the blasted posters already… Big GrinBig Grin

FJ ain’t bad is he; not too shabby at all, considering.  Nicely made points, well run and definitely on the side of the angels; albeit with a mischievous touch of the imp.  We’ll keep him; spuds and all.. Cool .

Don’t mind me, Angry got ‘procedurally separated’ from a sense of humour today, only another 12 minutes on the maintenance bill, only my KPI down the gurgler, no matter; airfares will rise and ASA  (a.k.a. the Govt.) will get paid anyway for the stellar, first class, ultra, ultra safe service.  Traffic queues?  Never heard of ‘em.  

Now that An(g)us is what I’d call a real servicing.     Toot toot.

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Gobbledock - 09-08-2015

God almighty, I have always known that the vast majority of flight attendants in aviation are queer (not that there is anything wrong with that) but the courage badges (ASA) and those posters as well as that idiot drawing a cat is beyond nauseating! Hopefully the private senate briefing with Sir An(g)us is to give him a scolding and to address this sudden influx of light and fluffy, homosexually tainted pony pooh filling and the ASA lunchrooms and the shitter walls? It's just not cricket.

But speaking of 'secret meetings', I wonder at whose request the meeting has been arranged? I'm guessing Sir An(gus) instigated it as he likes to keep things hidden and out of sight. It's his modus operandi. Sneaky sneaky. I've heard that he is far from happy with the IOS monitoring him. To that I say f..k him. If you don't like the 'IOS oversight' then start doing the right thing!!! Then again the meeting may have been arranged by the Senators. Perhaps they will all drink green tea and eat cruskets while jamming a life size pineapple fair up the Chairmans ass! One can only hope. Only time will tell who the real 'dipshits' are!

Tick tock Miniscule - large bright spotlight coming your way!!

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - thorn bird - 09-08-2015

Bloody posters look like something from Monty Python!!
Python was a giant joke, same, same, the alphabet soup.
Difference?? this is serious sh..T!!

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Peetwo - 09-08-2015

It would appear that the potential body count from tomorrow evening is dropping as we speak.. Huh

Here is the latest update to the program - "when the little one said...roll over..roll over and they all rolled over and one fell out.. i.e. then there was four"... Big Grin

Quote:5.00 pm Airservices Australia (Submission 3)

Air Chief Marshal Sir Angus Houston AK, AFC (Ret’d), Chair
Mr Jason Harfield, Acting Chief Executive Officer
Mr Paul Logan, Acting Chief Financial Officer
Mr Greg Hood, Air Traffic Control

7.00 pm Adjournment of hearing
And ASA have also made a fairly subjective submission - #sub3 - which is interesting because by default we actually get two QONs from Budget Estimates answered prior to a week before next Estimates... Dodgy - QON Index

QON 106:
Quote:…Senator GALLACHER: Is there any public consultation? Can anybody come to it?

Ms Staib: We had quite an extensive consultation process at Adelaide Airport with the local operators.

Senator GALLACHER: So are any submissions publicly available?

Ms Staib: To my knowledge, there were no written submissions taken.

Senator GALLACHER: Do you have a list of organisations that have made submissions to you? Do you know who spoke to you about it, or which organisations have made submissions?

Ms Staib: There have been no submissions taken, but there have been people consulted. I can provide you the list of the people that we have consulted.

Senator GALLACHER: Okay, thank you…
QON107:
Quote:
Senator GALLACHER: My question is: was there an initial business case—

Ms Staib: There was a business case put to the board.

Senator GALLACHER: Was that an initial business case?

Ms Staib: No, that was the final business case.

Senator GALLACHER: And has that business case been furnished to the committee?

Ms Staib: Extracts have been provided. There are some commercial sensitivities at the moment with its relationship to our negotiations on the OneSKY program.
Senator GALLACHER: Just for clarification, was the business case final at the time of the last discussion at estimates?

Ms Staib: To my recollection, yes. I think we had an initial safety case talked about—the business case.

Senator GALLACHER: We are onto the business case now. You did say that you would be able to furnish the business case to the committee. You are now saying it is commercial-in-confidence.

Ms Staib: There is an element that is commercially sensitive because of its relationship with the OneSKY program. Once we get further into those negotiations I can table the full business case or I can do it in camera if you want.

Senator GALLACHER: It is quite common for committees to have evidence taken in camera. That is quite appropriate. Also there are redactions if you have commercial sensitivities.

Ms Staib: I think I could do it—

Senator GALLACHER: I think withholding the business case is not advancing support for your decision, so to speak. So you can now table it in camera—is that what you are telling me?

Ms Staib: Yes, or I am happy to redact the commercially sensitive piece.

CHAIR: Can I halt there for a moment. I am trying to run this so that we get finished before the 11 o'clock knock-off. We cannot take evidence in camera at estimates. There is nothing to talk about. It cannot happen.

Ms Staib: Can I please table the business case with the commercially sensitive material redacted?

Senator GALLACHER: Is that okay, Chair?

CHAIR: Yes.

MTF..P2 Tongue

Ps Come on Murky give us the AQONs, you know you want to..

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Farmer Joe - 09-08-2015

P2, K and GD,

Thanks for your kind words. It kinda gets lonely down here in Tassie but at least it gives one time to think and ask why these 'crats on enormous salaries couldn't tell the difference of a Desiree to an Otway Red even if their bonus depended on it or "Trussed up" ready for a "minuscule pineapple". The ukulele is still popular down here.

P2, thanks. Knew one of you technically rated boys over the strait would find those pictures. Looks like the same artist to me or as we would say it down here " them Desirees came from the same paddock, huh"

Shooot, all I did was look at some senate video and a website that had some funny cartoons on it and ask myself some dumb questions. I sympathise with K re the visualisations, they have the same effect on me. The older brother's Where's Wally books like wise.

This LAHSO thing that I can't find on the ATSB website seems a bit weird to us Tassie folk. Can't get my heads around it. When I visit the big smoke (Launceston or Hobart) there is only one runway.

You mean that for this double go round or whatever NX or Hood called it we have two runways two jets landing and both go round...why not one land...unless of course there was one taking off...but it would not affected both runways would it...??. Guess I need one of you smart fellas from the North Island to explain....

Leads one to think though....how many other AsA whoopsies are not listed on the ATSB website but are secretly investigated..or not...maybe some fancy agreement, what do you mainlanders call it...oh yeah a Memorandum of Understanding....

Too bad Mr Hood admitted ATSB was investigating when asked by the good senator.

The NBN is a wonderful thing on the east coast...the iPrimus guy who installed it said I could probably watch tomorrow's Senate in 4K whatever that means

Y'all have a good sleep...might crack a good Freycinet red to watch tomorrow arvo...

Farmer Joe

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - thorn bird - 09-09-2015

Gidday farmer Joe, welcome,
we hail from the same neck of the woods, "wun toks", so to speak.
Mate the ATSB don't do "Investigations" these days, much too expensive.

When there's an accident or incident, first thing they do is ring CAsA and ask them who the CEO wants pillaring, then "the Beyond all reason" model is utilized to ensure the evidence fits the crime.
After which everyone has a meeting to dot the eyes and cross the tees so everyone is on the same page, make absolutely sure no liability for guvmint,if there is, adjust the evidence. Make sure stories straight in case a pesky coroner or senator gets uppity.
All down hill from there, stick out an "Interm" report with nothing in it, wait two or three years till everyone's forgotten it then release a report  dictated by the CAsA CEO.
Everyone makes the same mistake with these alphabet soup organisations because the Murky mandarins put the word "Safety" in their titles, really they are there to absolve Guvmint of liability.

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Kharon - 09-09-2015

AWOL.

Ms. Mairi Barton. Corporate and Industry Affairs.  Well! that’s a desperately needed department, so many affairs to manage under the corporate banner; no wonder the poor dear can’t get away for a chat with the committee.  

Ms. Michelle Bennetts ARFF excluded; no chocolate frog for guessing why.  Crikey, if the committee ever got even a tiny whiff of what’s swept under that carpet, the roof would be off the building.  

While I’m at it, WTF is 'People and Culture' department?  What does it do? How much does it cost? What benefits does aviation gain from having such a grandiosely titled department?

Mark Rodwell Projects and Engineering. Translated – Projectile vomiting and Engineering the next expensive cock-up.

Rob Weaver who has not yet completed the master class of not using fingers for counting while saying Ummm.

What a stellar cast, the critics will be heartbroken, bereft of their favourite actors who are far too busy doing nothing; or, perhaps, not in a presentable state to attend.  Aye well, twill be interesting enough, the ducking, the weaving, the obfuscating and of course, the question which are too sensitive to be answered taken on notice.  The after show party will be interesting, what a pity it’s not broadcast.  Be nice for the public to know what is such a mess that it may only be discussed behind a closed door.  Such an open, honest, transparent department should have no need of this.

Note to P2 - On the ATC retro thread, the first video; Heff was looking for Jason Halfback : even seemed to want a piece of him, back then.  Does it explain some of the venom and a long standing 'interest' ?  Curious, ain't it.  HERE - @ 13.54.36

Heigh Ho

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - P7_TOM - 09-09-2015

Very canny Joe; that MoU has been a puzzle to many of us, for a long while.  It is of course well out of date.  It begs the question – did Staib ever read it?  If it was read, why wasn’t it shredded and new one brought in? The Staib version, without the Russell signature.  Passing strange I’d call it, unless the MoU was the watershed where the clash of opposition camps occurred.  

When you plough your way through the MoU, have a little squint at the Corporate plan – HERE then, if patience allows, read the latest AQoN, classic

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Peetwo - 09-09-2015

Quote:P7 - "..Very canny Joe; that MoU has been a puzzle to many of us, for a long while.  It is of course well out of date.  It begs the question – did Staib ever read it?  If it was read, why wasn’t it shredded and new one brought in? The Staib version, without the Russell signature.  Passing strange I’d call it, unless the MoU was the watershed where the clash of opposition camps occurred.."  

Yes very canny FJ, I to wonder why it is that the 2010 MoU between the bureau & ASA hadn't been repealed long before now - Memorandum of Understanding between the Australian Transport Safety Bureau and Airservices Australia:

[Image: ASA-MoU.jpg]
You'd of thought that when 'Staibbed in the dark' was first appointed by the Board - after the previous CEO controversy - she would have been given strict instructions to rid all references with GPR's moniker on it ASAP. I would also have thought it prudent to bin the old MoU even without wholesale changes, because it reflects that the new CEO is going about making much needed cultural changes to the old regime. And in PR terms perception of change is quite often far more important than real cultural change. 

Oh well opportunity missed and on a casual read of the MoU it is somewhat unsurprising that it is almost identical in structure to the former CASA v ATSB 2010 MoU. Which, as we all now know, was originally authored to purpose by Doc Aleck with the main objective to maintain and reinforce the Iron Ring status quo, so it is with this ugly responsibility obfuscated, word-weaselled, piece of shite... Dodgy

Quote:Note to P2 - On the ATC retro thread, the first video; Heff was looking for Jason Halfback : even seemed to want a piece of him, back then.  Does it explain some of the venom and a long standing 'interest' ?  Curious, ain't it.  HERE - @ 13.54.36

Here is the Hansard for that session to which you refer Ferryman - ASA 28 November '14 - well worth a re-hash if you've got the time:

Quote:CHAIR: Is Mr Jason Harfield in the room?

Ms Staib : No, he is not.

CHAIR: I would have liked him to have been here. Senator Xenophon has some questions.

Senator XENOPHON: Given the controversy in relation to the former CEO's use of credit cards, I presume there has been a substantial rethink and change of protocols with regard to the use of credit cards—is that a fair summary?

Mr Clark : Certainly over the last two years we have made modifications to the credit card policy and procedure for a whole range of reasons. As it relates to who signs the chief executive's credit card, who authorises annual leave et cetera for the chief executive, there have been a range of changes that have been made since that time.

Senator XENOPHON: And it has been reduced to a document?

Mr Clark : It has been reduced to a document.

Senator XENOPHON: Have we got a copy of that? Has the committee got a copy of that new document? It might be useful. I do not know whether Senator Gallacher will find it useful—

Senator GALLACHER: We have asked for that on notice, but that will be 10 December.

Senator XENOPHON: So it has already been asked for, as I understand it, so it is on its way?

Mr Clark : 'Yes' would be the answer, if you have asked for it.

Senator XENOPHON: And you can show us, by contrast, what the previous protocols were in respect of credit card use?

Mr Clark : Yes, I can do that as well. So if you would like to see how the credit card policy has been changed and/or amended over the last X years, I am more than happy to do that.

Senator XENOPHON: Yes, that might be useful. Was there any referral to the authorities, to the Federal Police, in respect of any questions over credit card use in the past?

Mr Clark : I think we have already answered that, and the answer is 'yes'.

Senator STERLE: Mr Clark, you are right: you are a $1 billion company with absolutely no competition. Ms Staib, I want to put some questions to you, and I want to go back to Senate estimates. Firstly, and I do not want to know the ins and outs of the last one—who it was; nothing like that—but who would have known that there was credit card fraud or misuse or whatever you want to say when I asked you in Senate estimates about this matter? Who would have known?

Ms Staib : As I said, we have a fraud and ethics committee—

CHAIR: Just pausing there, if we could. Can you tell us who is on the fraud and whatever committee.

Ms Staib : It is not chaired by me, but my fellow executives are on that committee.

CHAIR: Could you name the individuals?

Ms Staib : Dr Weaver is co-chair with Mr Boyd, who is head of HR.

Senator STERLE: Anyone else?

Ms Staib : The CFO and Mr Hood—

Senator STERLE: Keep going.

CHAIR: Did you say Mr Boyd is on—

Ms Staib : Fraud and ethics, yes.

CHAIR: And he is pretty good mates with Mr Rodwell?

Ms Staib : I cannot speak to that. We are all work colleagues.

CHAIR: In recent times have you been concerned about leaks out of Airservices?

Ms Staib : In recent times I have been. It concerns me when people cannot bring questions or concerns to me. In fact, we had a discussion; I think it was two Senate estimates ago, when Senator Xenophon asked me a question about one of our technology projects. We did talk about that.

Senator XENOPHON: That was INTAS.

Ms Staib : INTAS.

Senator STERLE: Chair, come back here; I want to get back on air.

CHAIR: I know. I am just trying to get my head around a couple of matters for later on. You are relatively new to the job?

Ms Staib : I have been—

Senator STERLE: A couple of years?

Ms Staib : Two years, Senator.

CHAIR: And some of these folks have been there for ages under Greg. Are you aware of some of the tension in the office between various individuals?

Ms Staib : We have nine executives. We are a team. There are at times robust discussions on matters.

CHAIR: Does it concern you that there is a fair bit of tension?

Ms Staib : We are working as a very effective team. There are some tensions on occasion around different issues.

CHAIR: Okay, that is all. I just wanted to confirm what—

Much like the Doc & Murky, old bully boy JH has been the one constant in the ASA Executive basically since it's inception {Q/ Kind of makes you wonder if maybe JH was also one of the original founding members of the Iron Ring??}. Therefore JH has also been around the periphery of the Thales Oz & ASA long standing, possibly incestuous, contractual relationship(s) probably since day dot??

Reference from AQON 10 (pg 125) of QON 28 Nov '14:

Quote:CHAIR: Just pausing there—because this note I have has your name attached—can you tell us how much

it costs to do those changes? Is it a fairly generous deal, in terms of money, that Thales get out of whatever

they do? Could you please give us the financial details of Thales's arrangement.

Mr Rodwell: I would need to have a look at that.

Answer:

The Australian Advanced Air Traffic System (TAAATS) contract with Thales Australia Limited was executed on 7 February 1994 and expires on 31 December 2018 with an option to extend as Airservices directs. The contract includes strict provision relating to the disclosure of commercial- in-confidence information, including financial information.

Moving on and while on the subject of AQONs, I notice that just yesterday the Senate RRAT committee Secretariat have published the AQONs for QON from the last special hearing on the 18th of August. Again this shows that when strongly motivated the bureaucrats in these agencies can get mobilised quite quickly, certainly makes a mockery of Murky Mandarin's obfuscating tactics with QON from Budget Estimates - FCOL... Dodgy

Anyway here is a link for yesterday's ASA released AQON - QON 18 Aug '15 

{NB Full AQON not necessarily included} 
Quote:Question no. 1

Senator XENOPHON: How much are you paying Mr Bradford?

Mr Harfield: We are paying a daily contract rate but I will have to take on notice what the daily rate is.

Senator XENOPHON: Yes, roughly.

Answer:

The daily rate contracted for Mr Bradford’s services is $4,500 plus GST. Mr Bradford is the Managing Director of HC Bradford and Associates, an associate partner of the International Centre for Complex Project Management (ICCPM), and his services are contracted through ICCPM...

Quote:Question no. 2

Mr Harfield:
As we said, we are trying to arrange for the tender evaluation or probity plan associated with the program. That puts in the systems and processes to manage whether there was conflict of interest in the process. There is a tender evaluation plan for how the tender evaluation is to be assessed. That is endorsed by the Airservices board, and the tender evaluation process then continues and is run by the tender evaluation organisation.

Senator XENOPHON: You can provide us with copies of those, can't you?

Mr Harfield: Yes. I just need to take advice on the tender evaluation plan, but I will take it on notice.

Senator XENOPHON: Why wouldn't we be able to see that?

Mr Harfield: Because of the sensitivity of it. I just need to take advice on it. If I can provide it, I will.

Answer:

The Tender Evaluation Plan for the joint civil-military air traffic management system contains commercial-in-confidence information of both Airservices and the Commonwealth (Department of Defence) and disclosure could damage the negotiating positions as the contracts for the full scope of the OneSKY program have not been awarded.

The Plan was developed and approved by Airservices and Defence as well as Ashurst Australia as the Program Probity Advisor. As part of the establishment of robust governance processes for the procurement program, the Airservices Board noted the Tender Evaluation Plan in October 2013 before tenders were received.

The Airservices Board did not play a part in the tender evaluation, which was the responsibility of a joint Tender Evaluation Board (TEB) chaired by the Airservices CEO and comprising of Airservices and Defence executives....

Quote:Question no. 3

Senator GALLACHER: Can you tell me why you spent $7 million on separation and redundancies, in the 2013-14 year, in an environment where you were putting people on and growing?

Mr Logan: I would have to take that question, in detail, on notice.

……

Senator EDWARDS: How many redundancies have there been over that period?

Mr Logan: I would need to take that on notice. The numbers that we were discussing before were about $4 million, I think, a couple of years ago and maybe $7 million the year before...

Quote:
Question no. 4

..Senator XENOPHON:
Not necessarily specific to ADS-B, but part of the package of rolling out certain technologies and rolling out certain things, including ADS-B, would be relevant in terms of that at-risk component of the remuneration.

Mr Harfield: For example, part of our delivery of our capital program is introducing more ADS-B antennas around the country. We have a program called enhancement for ADS-B and rolling out the antennas, and that would form a part of an executive's performance because it is part of the capital program and delivery of the capital program.

Senator XENOPHON: What I am worried about is that I speak to small operators who are worried sick about this. They say that it is going to mean the difference: either it will break some of them or, more disturbingly, some people, because of the financial pressures of this rollout, may cut corners. That is what I am worried about. That raises all sorts of other regulatory risks. Is there any aspect of this at-risk component of remuneration that is linked to the rollout or implementation of programs such as ADS-B?

Mr Harfield: I will have to take that on notice. 

Answer:

Since 1 July 2014, performance payments for the at-risk component of remuneration for Executives have been made with reference to:

 Corporate Performance (Airservices performance as a whole) - 20%

 Business Group Performance (Performance against key indicators and initiatives for which the Executive’s Business Group has primary accountability) - 60%

 Individual performance - 20% 

Quote:Question no. 5

CHAIR: How did Ashurst get the job? What was the process that gave them the job and not billy blogs?

Mr Harfield: Ashurst came through because of their skills and through a normal recruitment process.

CHAIR: Was there a list of people to choose from when you picked them, or did you think, 'They'll do'?

Mr Harfield: There would have been a choice of firms to choose from and we took their experience in that matter.

CHAIR: Could we have that list?

Mr Harfield: Yes, we can provide that. I do not have that on me right now but we can provide that list.

Answer:

Airservices conducted an open market tender exercise in 2010 and established a panel of legal service providers comprising Ashurst Australia, Minster Ellison and Clayton Utz.

Following a selective tender from the three panel firms, Airservices engaged Minter Ellison to provide legal services on the OneSKY program in 2010, with Defence engaging Clayton Utz as its legal adviser. Airservices also appointed Ashurst as its Probity Adviser.

In 2012, Ashurst was appointed to act as the joint probity adviser for both Airservices and Defence for the OneSKY Program.
Finally here is a link for this evening's viewing - Watch Parliament (2nd from bottom of 'Today' list) Wink
MTF..P2 Tongue

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Gobbledock - 09-09-2015

Ferryman;

While I’m at it, WTF is 'People and Culture' department?  What does it do? How much does it cost? What benefits does aviation gain from having such a grandiosely titled

Indeed what folly!!!! 'People and Culture' is another name for HR! You see over the years HR departments have evolved into departments that are used to screw the workforce, bully and pineapple select individuals, massage the system so that Executives get their families and friends lucrative positions within the organisation as well as bonuses and more. HR department are the spies for the Executives. I don't trust them and wouldn't piss on them if they were on fire. But back to your question, the title 'HR' is now tainted hence the new title which is usually 'People and Culture' or 'People and Performance'. It's all a load of steaming dung and is a toffee coated turd - lick the toffee off and you have a turd underneath.

As for ASA and those who are AWOL that doesn't surprise me. Sir An(g)us will try to shield as many as he can from being out under the floodlight!! Sneaky sneaky

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Farmer Joe - 09-09-2015

Beautiful sunset on the orange rocks of the Bay of Fires tonight.

Bottle of Freycinet Vineyard Pinot Noir.

Now provided NBN behaves two hours of interest ahead.

Dunno why but sheesh got a bad feeling in my blood tonight what with private sitting afterwards?

Option 1. Nothing new in Public Hearing then in Private the Group Captain admits some of the boys in his squadron do some silly things, but goddamm this is war, taps his pipe on the desk and what oh let's all have a drink in the mess. Airservices good to go. End of story...

Option 2. New and better allegations arise. Group Captain defends his boys without realising he is now compromised as well. No one goes back to mess.
Famous Group Captain cuts lonely figure as he leaves court martial.

The senate has tried but I fear option 1?

Strange sort of inquiry into the Performance of Airservices closed.

Everyone lives happily ever after. Death of Australian aviation.

Ah the anticipation....

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Kharon - 09-09-2015

OOTS Mon & hurro Harfie.

Well, he’s good; within five minutes of An(g)us speak, we have a new catch cry "Out Of The Shit" (OOTS), add a dash of Scots blarney, it becomes Oot’s Mon, rather than the traditional Hoots Mon.  Four OOTS goals kicked within as many minutes:-

The Murky Machiavellian is dragged into the ASA scrum as ‘policy’ is a Truss job; sorry Mike, but our trough survival packages are at risk; old mates need not apply.

Skidmore learns that loyalty is only Skid-deep; CASA get a shovelful of blame – not up to us says An(g)us.   We do what the rules dictate.  How much did the Headland set up cost again? And who fluffed the Appropriations crew?  Must be old age; I seem to forget exactly who, but I do remember courage badges, posters and phoney wings.

Then ATSB get a well deserved mention; Hoody in the back row looks grim; wind perhaps?

But the crowning glory of the whole gabfest, NX asks have you been knocked back by any safety agency?  No purrs An(g)us, never; except to reiterate; they are just the poor servants within the great system, and must not ask questions: dictated to, policy ridden and at the mercy of the other tribes.  Innocent screeched the virgin.  

BOLLOCKS Angus; again, (sotto voce) bollocks + head shake.  Got me wondering, who else is going to get dropped ‘in-it’ as part of the great OOTS campaign.  Talk about ‘talk under water with a mouthful of wet concrete’ : Jesus wept he'd talk the leg off an iron pot.  

Aye well, I work for a living, so MTF? Probably.  Hope Glen had a note from his Mum, late is OK, we understand: but man, the bloody music, hells bells sound better - with a hangover.

Toot toot.

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Gobbledock - 09-09-2015

Aagh yes all fun and games til someone gets hurt! I'm looking forward to P2's succinct analysis and Poohtube clips in the coming days, not to mention Hands-hard. But the rats are all trying to evade the marauding senate cat, and it is great entertainment watching the blame game unfold. I'm surprised Sir An(g)us didn't trot out the line 'I was in Montreal', 'I was conducting a symphony orchestra', 'I was peddling water products overseas'.

It gets very entertaining though when blame gets pointed towards the Minister! Tsk tsk Warren, are you man or mouse? Your minions aren't afraid to stiff you old man, so what are you going to do about it? Will you say nothing? Will you grow a set? Or will you take to the lot of them with a carving knife?

Tick tock dipshits

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Peetwo - 09-09-2015

(09-09-2015, 07:31 PM)kharon Wrote:  OOTS Mon & hurro Harfie.

Well, he’s good; within five minutes of An(g)us speak, we have a new catch cry "Out Of The Shit" (OOTS), add a dash of Scots blarney, it becomes Oot’s Mon, rather than the traditional Hoots Mon.  Four OOTS goals kicked within as many minutes:-

The Murky Machiavellian is dragged into the ASA scrum as ‘policy’ is a Truss job; sorry Mike, but our trough survival packages are at risk; old mates need not apply.

Skidmore learns that loyalty is only Skid-deep; CASA get a shovelful of blame – not up to us says An(g)us.   We do what the rules dictate.  How much did the Headland set up cost again? And who fluffed the Appropriations crew?  Must be old age; I seem to forget exactly who, but I do remember courage badges, posters and phoney wings.

Then ATSB get a well deserved mention; Hoody in the back row looks grim; wind perhaps?

But the crowning glory of the whole gabfest, NX asks have you been knocked back by any safety agency?  No purrs An(g)us, never; except to reiterate; they are just the poor servants within the great system, and must not ask questions: dictated to, policy ridden and at the mercy of the other tribes.  Innocent screeched the virgin.  

BOLLOCKS Angus; again, (sotto voce) bollocks + head shake.  Got me wondering, who else is going to get dropped ‘in-it’ as part of the great OOTS campaign.  Talk about ‘talk under water with a mouthful of wet concrete’ : Jesus wept he'd talk the leg off an iron pot.  

Aye well, I work for a living, so MTF? Probably.  Hope Glen had a note from his Mum, late is OK, we understand: but man, the bloody music, hells bells sound better - with a hangover.

Toot toot.

BOLLOCKS Angus??

According to Sir A this is what the ASA Board is working to??

Quote:Statement of Expectations

For the Board of Airservices Australia
For the Period 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2017

Introduction

This instrument repeals the previous Statement of Expectations for the Board of Airservices Australia for the period 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2015 made under Section 17 of the Air Services Act 1995.

This instrument puts in place a new Statement of Expectations (SOE) which serves as a notice of strategic direction to Airservices Australia (Airservices) under Section 17 of the Air Services Act 1995. This new SOE will commence on 1 July 2015 and stops having effect at the end of 30 June 2017. 

The new SOE outlines in a formal and public way, my expectations concerning the operations and performance of Airservices. 
I expect that the Board of Airservices will:

1.    ensure that Airservices acts in accordance with the Air Services Act 1995, Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (and associated regulations) as well as other relevant legislation and legal instruments; and

2.    keep me and the Secretary of the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (the Department), fully informed of Airservices’ actions in relation to the initiatives and activities stated below, and alert me to events or issues that may impact on the operations of Airservices, including the provision of timely Board reports and quarterly reports of progress against the Corporate Plan.

My expectations are that Airservices will:

3.    continue to undertake effective consultation with the community, industry and Government on the development and implementation of significant changes by Airservices to air traffic and aviation rescue and fire fighting services;

4.    continue to implement Government air traffic management and other airspace policy initiatives (in conjunction with the Department, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and the Department of Defence) including those arising out of the Government’s response to the Aviation Safety Regulation Review Report;

5.    engage constructively in processes where it can provide information, assistance or advice for policy formulation, implementation and regulation undertaken by Government agencies, both within and outside my portfolio;

6.    assist in implementing the Government’s environmental initiatives including:

(a)          supporting the ongoing role of the independent Aircraft Noise Ombudsman (ANO) and implementation of agreed recommendations made by the ANO;
(b)          the appropriate resourcing of the Noise Complaints and Information Service to continue to improve the flow and quality of information to noise affected communities;
©           providing and reporting against an annual environmental work plan which outlines Airservices key initiatives in managing and monitoring the environmental effects of aircraft operations;
(d)          the ongoing commitment to the Sydney Airport Long Term Operating Plan; and
(e)          the wider use of Required Navigation Performance (RNP) approaches, as appropriate, at Australian airports following consultation with other Government agency, community and industry stakeholders;

7.    contribute to a coordinated approach to airport planning including appropriate participation in, and providing information to, planning coordination forums, community aviation consultation groups, and the National Airports Safeguarding Advisory Group;

8.    provide a clearly defined Aviation Rescue and Fire Fighting Service (ARFFS) for civil operations at civil and joint-user airports that meet the establishment criteria in the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998;

9.    progress the implementation of agreed joint civil and military aviation harmonisation initiatives with the Department of Defence including Airservices acting as the lead agency on the future joint air traffic control system project;

10. continue investment in future infrastructure upgrades and replacement programmes as demonstrated in a detailed capital expenditure programme, including enhanced air traffic and surveillance services at regional airports;

11. ensure the efficient, on budget and timely delivery of Airservices’ capital expenditure programme;

12. commit to a strong focus on human resource issues, consistent with Government workplace policies, including publication of an annual update of the Airservices Australia Workforce Plan, and the development and implementation of proactive recruitment, training and retention policies;

13. continue to support the Government’s safety initiatives in the Asia-Pacific region; and

14. adhere to values and a code of conduct that maintains high standards of professionalism, customer service, probity, reporting, accountability and transparency, consistent with excellence in the public sector. 

WARREN TRUSS
Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development
15              June 2015

Q1/ But Sir A WTF were you working to prior to the delivery of the Miniscule's SOE < three months ago?

Q2/ Sir A, how will the Board show ASA compliance with expectation #14 without firing JH (after tonight's performance)?

Q3/ Sir A, how can ASA show compliance with SOE #4 without calling BOLLOCKS on CC Dolan in regards to the 'serious incident' with LAHSO YMML Ops on the 05 July this year?

L&Ks Aunty Pru via P2 Tongue

Ps Sir A - & that is just for starters... Shy

Pps Gobbles - Wink - Well said that man..err..Alien!

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Peetwo - 09-10-2015

(09-09-2015, 08:53 PM)Peetwo Wrote:  
(09-09-2015, 07:31 PM)kharon Wrote:  OOTS Mon & hurro Harfie.

Toot toot.

BOLLOCKS Angus??

According to Sir A this is what the ASA Board is working to??

Quote:Statement of Expectations

For the Board of Airservices Australia
For the Period 1 July 2015 to 30 June 2017

Introduction

This instrument repeals the previous Statement of Expectations for the Board of Airservices Australia for the period 1 July 2013 to 30 June 2015 made under Section 17 of the Air Services Act 1995.

This instrument puts in place a new Statement of Expectations (SOE) which serves as a notice of strategic direction to Airservices Australia (Airservices) under Section 17 of the Air Services Act 1995. This new SOE will commence on 1 July 2015 and stops having effect at the end of 30 June 2017. 

The new SOE outlines in a formal and public way, my expectations concerning the operations and performance of Airservices. 
I expect that the Board of Airservices will:

1.    ensure that Airservices acts in accordance with the Air Services Act 1995, Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (and associated regulations) as well as other relevant legislation and legal instruments; and

2.    keep me and the Secretary of the Department of Infrastructure and Regional Development (the Department), fully informed of Airservices’ actions in relation to the initiatives and activities stated below, and alert me to events or issues that may impact on the operations of Airservices, including the provision of timely Board reports and quarterly reports of progress against the Corporate Plan.

My expectations are that Airservices will:

3.    continue to undertake effective consultation with the community, industry and Government on the development and implementation of significant changes by Airservices to air traffic and aviation rescue and fire fighting services;

4.    continue to implement Government air traffic management and other airspace policy initiatives (in conjunction with the Department, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau (ATSB), the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) and the Department of Defence) including those arising out of the Government’s response to the Aviation Safety Regulation Review Report;

5.    engage constructively in processes where it can provide information, assistance or advice for policy formulation, implementation and regulation undertaken by Government agencies, both within and outside my portfolio;

6.    assist in implementing the Government’s environmental initiatives including:

(a)          supporting the ongoing role of the independent Aircraft Noise Ombudsman (ANO) and implementation of agreed recommendations made by the ANO;
(b)          the appropriate resourcing of the Noise Complaints and Information Service to continue to improve the flow and quality of information to noise affected communities;
©           providing and reporting against an annual environmental work plan which outlines Airservices key initiatives in managing and monitoring the environmental effects of aircraft operations;
(d)          the ongoing commitment to the Sydney Airport Long Term Operating Plan; and
(e)          the wider use of Required Navigation Performance (RNP) approaches, as appropriate, at Australian airports following consultation with other Government agency, community and industry stakeholders;

7.    contribute to a coordinated approach to airport planning including appropriate participation in, and providing information to, planning coordination forums, community aviation consultation groups, and the National Airports Safeguarding Advisory Group;

8.    provide a clearly defined Aviation Rescue and Fire Fighting Service (ARFFS) for civil operations at civil and joint-user airports that meet the establishment criteria in the Civil Aviation Safety Regulations 1998;

9.    progress the implementation of agreed joint civil and military aviation harmonisation initiatives with the Department of Defence including Airservices acting as the lead agency on the future joint air traffic control system project;

10. continue investment in future infrastructure upgrades and replacement programmes as demonstrated in a detailed capital expenditure programme, including enhanced air traffic and surveillance services at regional airports;

11. ensure the efficient, on budget and timely delivery of Airservices’ capital expenditure programme;

12. commit to a strong focus on human resource issues, consistent with Government workplace policies, including publication of an annual update of the Airservices Australia Workforce Plan, and the development and implementation of proactive recruitment, training and retention policies;

13. continue to support the Government’s safety initiatives in the Asia-Pacific region; and

14. adhere to values and a code of conduct that maintains high standards of professionalism, customer service, probity, reporting, accountability and transparency, consistent with excellence in the public sector. 

WARREN TRUSS
Minister for Infrastructure and Regional Development
15              June 2015

Q1/ But Sir A WTF were you working to prior to the delivery of the Miniscule's SOE < three months ago?

Q2/ Sir A, how will the Board show ASA compliance with expectation #14 without firing JH (after tonight's performance)?

Q3/ Sir A, how can ASA show compliance with SOE #4 without calling BOLLOCKS on CC Dolan in regards to the 'serious incident' with LAHSO YMML Ops on the 05 July this year?

L&Ks Aunty Pru via P2 Tongue

Ps Sir A - & that is just for starters... Shy

& part 2... Big Grin

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Kharon - 09-10-2015

Quote:“K”. “But the crowning glory of the whole gabfest, NX asks have you been knocked back by any safety agency?  No purrs An(g)us, never; except to reiterate; they are just the poor servants within the great system, and must not ask questions: dictated to, policy ridden and at the mercy of the other tribes.  Innocent screeched the virgin.”

Very crafty P2 – nice one.  Nearly gave up - took me a while to nut it out, bit like the Times Cross-Word.  Only all clicked when I read the Search for IP thread HERE.  We seem to have a recurring problem with SHEED approaches into Melbourne.  The USA 74 is a plausible report. I mean why should an internationally experienced crew even dream that in Australia – things are 'done' different; and, it was really all their fault for not reading the ‘fine-print’.  This is not the first time an overseas crew has been caught behind by ‘misunderstanding’ what ATC say and mean is different in OZ.  No problem, at least not until there is a repeat performance, of which we have several noted; some ‘investigated’ others not.

Then we have An(g)us who has never, not ever, had a knock-back from the agencies he claims dictate the terms of engagement.   So we have a recurrent incident, potentially dangerous approach, which ASA know about – FFS Hoody reported one and others have done the same; did CASA say No to the proposed changes ASA suggested – No; did ATSB state that there was a problem – No; did ASA sort it out and gain a nod from the ‘grown-ups’, another resounding NO.

So, in short, we have a potentially dangerous approach, where local rules, terminology and techniques apply; about which no one has done sod all; except whine that it is someone else’s responsibility?  "Move the waypoint" scream the masses; "can't" says Angus, "moving the bloody strobes costs a mint and we have to deal with councils and tenants and other such riff-raff: nah, we'll take a punt."

Ye gods – what the hell are we paying for, words, excuses or a safety service?

Pass the parcel for all in our ‘safe’ skies.  UFB.

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Gobbledock - 09-10-2015

The highlight for me was Hoody's ducktail. He looked like a young Tony Curtis!!!

"Safe senate fashion for all"

RE: Senate Estimates - 2015. - Kharon - 09-11-2015

The master of testiculation.

Took a cup of coffee for a walk down to the elephant enclosure this morning; sat on the fence and watched for a while; they were all there.  Some merely nodded others ambled over for a pat, piece of apple and a quiet word; except the ex ministerial ones.  The ASA elephant (Angus Sheed) was still pacing about, agitated and waving his trunk and threatening the CASA elephant, which was desperately trying not be noticed, hiding behind the Juniper bushes.  The ATSB elephant, well; it has built a little hideaway, quite artistic really, built of old straw and pooh.  That shelter will not survive the next storm, but in the meanwhile, ATSB feels quite secure, shielded from the wrath of the ASA elephant.

Ayup, the last committee meeting has created some consternation. The connoisseur being spoiled for choice.  On the menu we have:-

For the purist, testiculation stew, the ancient art of talking bollocks, with your hands.  Turn the sound off and watch An(g)us, he could get a job as a semaphore signaller anywhere in the world; watch as the gestures telegraph the words.  With practice, you can actually predict exactly not only what is being said; but the tone and pace of the delivery; intriguing.  Bollocks, hand articulated.

While you have the sound off, watch the body language during the Harfwit tirade toward the end, it is a good place for the neophyte to start.  Pure sociopath, anger at being questioned, contempt for those who dare challenge, fear of getting caught; all the Bullies trademarks, writ large.

While you do that, watch Hoody, carefully; you may need the sound on for that, but only when you spot the Halfwit clues.  It’s not that easy to discern, but for the purist, a delight.

Anyway, enough of elephants and amusement; let’s discuss the noble art of throwing people under busses.  This sport has developed popularity over the past few years; and, there were some classic plays made during the last hearing.  An(g)us led the charge; the Minister (and minions) first, then CASA, then ATSB, in rapid succession, followed by his own team.  This was quite an entertaining act; spoiled a little by the long winded, testiculated brag about what a top pilot he was.  That bit made me slightly nauseous actually; Fawcett for an example is a top gun, but hardly ever breathes a word of that; Rothschild has a few bucks in the sock, but you never hear him saying how much.  I was at a birthday bash recently, I reckon there was at least 250,000 command hours in the room, spread over a dozen disciplines, all owned by ‘professional’ ego’s and nary a word said of vast past experience– except for the odd hilarious story.  So why old An(g)us feels he has to tell us what a whizz bang driver, airframe, he is has me puzzled.  But, I digress.

The nimble manner in which An(g)us threw his mates under the Senate bus was worth watching (with sound); none were spared (bar Hoody).  The ‘management’ sacrificed to save the board. Minister and minions, under the wheels; CASA amongst the first to go closely followed by the ATSB (a good riddance).  All we have left at our bus stop is An(g)us looking very pleased with himself, smug as a cat, and sleek as a weasel, alone, without the problems.

“Problems?” he asks; yes An(g)us, great big ones; like why was something not done about the money problems, the airspace problems, the internal strife problems. The MoU, or even the recurring problems with the SHEED approach.   You see, when you have betrayed your comrades and thrown the troops under a bus, there is only one man left standing.  At one point you could have saved Halfwit, but no; in the style of a true craven you stood back and let the committee savage him (another good riddance).  Only Hoody tried to help.

There’s one little part I want to watch again; the bit where Staib is initially brought into camera; referred to as ‘she’ at first; took me a while to work out exactly to whom you were referring; there’s a certain ‘familiarity’ in the opening remarks concerning the lady of faux wings, which ‘we’ will consider at the next BRB.

The moral of the story is always watch your rear view mirror and don’t stand on a bus stop in front of An(g)us, at least not when there’s a bus due.  

Selah.

Quote:“One can say this in general of men: they are ungrateful, disloyal, insincere and deceitful, timid of danger and avid of profit...Love is a bond of obligation that these miserable creatures break whenever it suits them to do so; but fear holds them fast by a dread of punishment that never passes.” Machiavelli.