AuntyPru Forum

Full Version: The Sunday Brunch Gazette.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26
[Image: sbg221219.jpg]

A study: of Horse Manure (and them what spreads it).

The greatest comedians, commentators and many great statesmen the world has provided had the twin knack’s of 'timing' and ‘truth’ which, melded together provided many of the great quotations. A degree of brevity is required, a succinct ‘one-liner’ which may easily be remembered often serves us to better express an opinion than a 1000 word ramble. It works fine, you can almost reduce your opinion to just two words e.g. Nero fiddles etc. Brevity is the soul of wit (Polonious) – a sense of ‘timing’ is also a requirement.

Of course, the difference between the sublime and the ridiculous is a very, very thin line. ‘Tuther side of the coin invokes Lincoln’s (Twain) oft quoted wisdom - 
“Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt.”

There are some fine examples floating about at present; prime studies of bad timing, bad delivery and little to recommend in the way of memorable wit; or he who delivered the lines.

[Image: afde5680aa53e32677c59c481b6b9317-e1576975326884.jpg]

“[a] poor player

That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,

And then is heard no more.

Heard no more would be a fine thing methinks. Whichever way it was mentioned – alluding to one’s home town as the capitol of the nation, simply because your sorry arse happens to be there smacks of a terminal arrogance – whichever way the phrase was used. Then, to open your mouth, simply to change feet is unpardonable.

[Image: RS12476_503289723-scr-1.jpg]

Every fool in the market place knows, full well, that Horse Pooh is not self combusting (or igniting). The amount of it piled up in Canberra alone is proof positive, beyond reasonable doubt, that it ain’t true. The fact the real capitol has not been reduced to ashes and memory further irrefutable evidence. There are mountains of the stuff piled about the place; carefully camouflaged to look like something else; but, for all that artful subterfuge, the fact that remains – a pile of dung, by any other name would smell the same. (Sorry Will)….

Perhaps our mindless mummer has had some acting lessons from a ‘DIY’ book on stage craft and oratory; remembering only the last words of the preamble:-

[Image: EL9xN-xU8AAdWeX.jpg]

No matter; there are still some sane folk knocking about; P2 being one of ‘em; although after the last round of research, a serious need for two rounds of golf was strongly recommended, to restore equanimity. It was an innocent question, asked by a new, junior associate which triggered it – “when did the real trouble begin?” Well, the answer is a long, long read. The abridged version is posted – HERE – and a one coffee read. There is a a much, much longer version available; a published thesis. I’ve cribbed the - ABSTRACT – below; pursuing the remaining 400 odd pages, I leave to the reader. There are some parts which may be stepped around, speeding the process, but some of it makes bloody good sense. Handing over….

[Image: GettyImages-659706175-57c78daf3df78c71b6674964.jpg]

Enforcement strategies utilized by the civil aviation safety regulator in Australia have to date, received scant attention from researchers. This thesis is a first attempt to look at such enforcement strategies and apply them to practical situations. It does so in an all embracing manner, taking into account the part played by aviation's historical origins, both international and domestic, that have led to the complex set of aviation safety regulations now in existence. It pays particular attention to the historical importance of Australia's former unique two-airline policy and the constitutional problems facing the early lawmakers dealing with a constitution written before the advent of aviation. It describes and examines regulatory theory as it relates to such enforcement strategies and attempts to bring together such theory with practice by applying it to practical examples. Finally it analyses how certain pressures and influences may have swayed the type of enforcement strategies pursued by the regulator at various times as these are evidenced in parliamentary inquiries and reported cases in the years since economic de-regulation of the aviation industry.

The thesis puts forward the hypothesis that strategies of enforcement employed by the civil aviation regulatory authority have a profound effect on aviation safety. It contends that evidence drawn from inquiries and reported cases over a twenty-year period point to a regulator who prefers a compliance strategy of cooperation with industry, rather than a sanctioning or deterrence strategy.

The thesis also emphasizes that the evidence drawn from various inquiries and coroner's inquests points to the fact that such a strategy, if it is lacking or seen to be lacking in adequate checks and balances, can pose an increased risk to aviation safety. Emphasis is placed on the need for the aviation safety regulator to be at all times cognizant of the dangers that are inherent in a compliance based enforcement strategy, especially where the regulator puts itself in 'partnership' with industry.

A number of topics have been identified for further research. They include the need for a greater comparative analysis of enforcement strategies used by regulators in similarly aligned countries to Australia, the concept of regulatory 'capture' and a comparative inquiry into the sometimes ambiguous dual role of 'educator' and 'policeman' expected of the regulator

[Image: April-BN-800x445-e1524359380770.jpg]

There I was, sitting on the workshop stool, enjoying a second coffee, looking at a clean tidy workbench, contemplating a day of idleness. A pair of small hands appeared on the bench top, followed by a mop of curly hair and a small, angelic face. “What?” I gruffed. Undaunted by my pretend bark and backed up by two large furry critters, the royal command was politely issued. “I need a cupboard, with a door and a drawer at the bottom – not a very big one, just the right size – please”. I know when I’m beaten – I tried; alas. “What shall I make it from?” – “Oh, there’s that lovely Celery Top Pine in the rack – here”  “OK and when would you like it?” – “Mum says you have some spare time now and if you got a wriggle on, I could have it for Christmas” (veiled threat delivered with angelic smile). Then, the killer blow – “I’ve drawn you a picture - look”. Game, set and match; I swear the dogs are still chuckling away as they follow the never ending pathway to forbidden treats for loyal support. Aye well, best crack on; I can manage domestic tyranny ‘one on one’ but when there’s a gang, it’s best to give in gracefully.

Selah.

Grumbletonian
@PhilWaren

And now a party political message from our DPM and leader of the #Nationals.

[Image: ggArIsB.gif]

P2 -  Big Grin Big Grin
[Image: sbg-291219.jpg]
Ref: ― William Shakespeare, Othello plus: Google pic links 1) https://images.app.goo.gl/2f7HznwGsWKmEkFPA & 2) https://images.app.goo.gl/CpQfv64GLm8GLhgw9

She swore, in faith 'twas strange, 'twas passing strange;

The end of a ‘most peculiar year’ is drawing nigh. What are we, the Hoi Polloi, to make of it? For ‘tis a fair question. I can’t make Heads or Tails of it.

“The phrase may have its beginnings all the way back in Ancient Rome, in a phrase used by Cicero, ne caput nec pedes which means neither head nor feet, referring to a state of confusion.”

Confused messages; all from different folk – some with an axe to grind; some with a large rice bowl to protect; some who see an opportunity for advancement within their ‘realm’ and then; some who have NDI what’s going on – but wish, fervently, it would all just stop. There’s even a crew for good ship ‘could care less’. It is what it is, they say. "Es lo que es.”

We are not bereft of comment this year; however, IMO the ‘best’ – in terms of summation have been made in the last week of so. With your indulgence – making it a longish post – shall we take a brief look at those recent arrivals.

From the UP. I will repeat it here – as there are some sidebars which add flavour.

Glenn: I recently left CASA because it had totally lost it's way.

Here we enter the realms of ‘credibility’. Aunt Pru has many mates who have ‘worked’ for the CASA machine; not with – but for. This is an important ‘tell’. However, those AP knows cannot, nor dare speak out for many reasons. In the Pub over a beer – the stories are truly awful – beggar the imagination of those who can imagine plenty. Even so; we may take the following as a ‘layman’s guide’ to the way things stand.

"The body (it is not an organisation) that I originally joined was transformed after Mr Carmody joined into a true branch of the public service. Layer upon layer of new management, confusion about roles, lots of "Plans" but no coordination of change, zero documentation, inability to keep regulations up to date, and as far as I could determine absolutely no safety assessment process. An SMS, as required by all authorisation holders, is completely missing from CASA. No-one in my branch could even detail the required content of a Safety Case or how such a submission would be assessed by CASA!

The ‘bolded’ part rings true. The base line for deciding if a ‘thing’ is ‘safe’ or not is a mystical black art. Some of the alleged ‘safety cases’ CASA have hay-stacked are the stuff of legend. Some of the matters let slide are a short road to a burning wreck – Canley Vale for just one example. The highly subjective, personalised way a CASA FOI may decide a ‘safety matter’ forms a base part of the dangerous road Australia is on. Make no mistake about it; so long as a personal ‘opinion’ of what is or is not safe – without a SMS/ Sector Risk Analysis (SRA) and comprehensive, clearly defined guide lines – soon or late – the loop holes left in an operators modus will cause an accident. The majority of those enslaved to the CASA behemoth have little to no experience as aircraft operators, chief pilots or chief flight instructors; most have never run an aviation business. Without guidance and experience - opinion rules; not ‘safety’.  (Unless its legal safety for CASA).

"I tried to raise your plight internally to get the corporate response but all I ever got was "he's a nutter', "difficult to deal with" and as for PPRuNe - who reads that rubbish anyway! In other words corporate denial that there was even a problem and if the messenger dared to suggest CASA may be wrong - there are a thousand egos willing to toe the company line.

Standard response – but our correspondent fails to mention the vehemence with which a ‘complainant’ will be dealt with. CASA have and still do pursue ‘personal grudges’ and the CASA line to a point which can, seriously damage reputation, earning ability and even a career. Should this latest Senate inquiry wish to be taken seriously; and, genuinely want to set matters aeronautical to rights; they should call for ‘Complaints’ from industry folk. In camera – fine; but if ever the truth gets loose in the corridors of power – well!
{Aside} – Pprune has a fairly extensive readership. Aunt Pru is no slouch in that department. Since last Christmas only 1.25 million have read our twiddles and rambles; 40% of that readership is from the USA. The ‘E-mail’ loops return messages of sympathy, advice and; importantly, one repetitive question. “Why do you guy’s put up with it?” It is a bloody good question.

"I wish you luck but they have got so much money set aside to protect the Minister from criticism that they will simply use the legal system to bankrupt you over and over until you are forced to give up.

[Image: fab07c6123bd31bb0bbc0a85438abf8a.jpg]

This bipartisan bollocks and ministerial protection racket just has to stop. At a stretch, you could take it back as far as Lockhart River; without too much effort you could go back to the ‘Staunton report’ – which not only rocked the minister to the soles of his boots, but the rest of ‘em too. The only quarrel we have with Staunton is that he knocked off early – CAA assisted manslaughter was, IMO, on the cards. Instead of a righteous reform we drew today’s paranoia. Rot this deep must be ruthlessly cut out – the Kiwi’s did it; miles ahead now.

"My advice is to forget tribunals and courts and go political. If you can get a politician onside money becomes meaningless. Your issues can be raised in parliament under privilege and reported on verbatim by the media. That will really put the pressure right back where the Minister does not like it - in plain view.

Amen to that. Until the ‘government’ stop hiding behind so called ‘expert’ advice and taking the easy way out of Dodge; nothing will change for the better. The minister should be ‘responsible’ and made to defend the actions of CASA against the ‘opposition’. That, in my book is democracy in action – not the farcical inaction we see from the DPM’s office. Disgusting, cowardly and cheap. Not the democracy we pay for – not by a long shot.

Should you, perchance think I’m drawing the long bow of total lack of political interest apart from ‘protection. Take a coffee and read the results of P2’ research – on the tip of the iceberg. Post 1Post 2. Read ‘em and weep.

[Image: DkHsJIoU4AA5cVK.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/red-rag-post/ & 4G leaves it to the experts (CASA) on airport safety - TICK..TOCK! & Times up for Pel_air MkII & https://auntypru.com/sbg-17-11-19-gloves...-all-that/

St Commode’s wee tanty. HERE -.

What a complete, utter load of BOLLOCKS. I could live with that – Mr part time, mostly cranky could/would/ should say stuff like that – they pay him enough to do so. Piece of cake with his minion controlling what passes as ministerial ‘thought’; or, even vague feelings of responsibility for his portfolio. It would be disappointing had the patron Saint of aviation safety not had a wee speech prepared for him; he has a huge rice bowl to protect after all. But – and it is a bloody great big BUT – “Objection M’Lud”.

Commode - “Some of my own research.
Qualified to research are we? Expert in matters aeronautical are we? Run an airline, flight school, charter outfit? Held an AOC? Written an Operations Manual? Trained dozens of pilots?

Commode - “is starting to indicate to me that” What? What exactly is it indicating? Please shed the light of your vast aeronautical experience on those of us with but a humble lifetime at the coal face. I’m all a twitter to hear your words of wisdom.

Commode - “… those who work hardest at pushing back against the regulator are often the same ones who end up having serious accidents or incidents in flight,”

[Image: D3gYNu5UwAAVrqX.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/canonization-aye-use-the-big-ones/

Evidence ya Loon – a requirement under the law. Not the sort of muck CASA put up to scare the natives; but clear, demonstrable, unequivocal proof. Better still – where’s your carefully researched paper on how to prevent VFR pilots persisting into IMC? A weather awareness course? No? Perhaps ‘Escape route strategy’? No – well howzabout an inexpensive, cohesive system for Instrument Flight qualifications? No - all too hard for you; perhaps you should get some expert, qualified advice before you start flapping your gums and making idiot, unsubstantiated statements in the press. Fraudulent, fatuous, flatulent fat ass wanker. (P7 two bob added).

[Image: 17212.jpg]

“The soul becomes dyed with the colour of its thoughts.” ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Aye well – perhaps I’m being just too subtle for the great aviation thinkers of our day; their clever machinations beyond my scope and outside my ambit. The great game of aviation reform unfolding before my very eyes – and me, just too thick to see it. Perhaps, if I too could loose a few marbles, I could see the light – alas; I’m quite fond of the few marbles I have; reckon I’ll keep ‘em; if it’s all the same to you – even if it’s not.

Well, that’s Christmas for another year. I managed to get the ‘cupboard’ finished – the ‘box’ with shelves ain’t too much of a chore; but the blasted drawer, would not cooperate, made it twice. The door worked out Ok – raised panel in a lovely, deeply featured bit of book matched Cherry I found at the back of the rack. Delivered, on time (just) as requested and required by the powers that be; just like an aircraft; on time and in one piece. Speaking of which – per ardua ad the loot. The colt needs a ride, the dogs need an out, I need to be away from this excellent new key-board (Cheers Santa) and the night air is fresh, cool and clear. A few drops of rain would most adequately complete my wish list.

Selah
(12-28-2019, 08:52 PM)Kharon Wrote: [ -> ][Image: sbg-291219.jpg]
Ref: ― William Shakespeare, Othello plus: Google pic links 1) https://images.app.goo.gl/2f7HznwGsWKmEkFPA & 2) https://images.app.goo.gl/CpQfv64GLm8GLhgw9

She swore, in faith 'twas strange, 'twas passing strange;

The end of a ‘most peculiar year’ is drawing nigh. What are we, the Hoi Polloi, to make of it? For ‘tis a fair question. I can’t make Heads or Tails of it.

“The phrase may have its beginnings all the way back in Ancient Rome, in a phrase used by Cicero, ne caput nec pedes which means neither head nor feet, referring to a state of confusion.”

Confused messages; all from different folk – some with an axe to grind; some with a large rice bowl to protect; some who see an opportunity for advancement within their ‘realm’ and then; some who have NDI what’s going on – but wish, fervently, it would all just stop. There’s even a crew for good ship ‘could care less’. It is what it is, they say. "Es lo que es.”

We are not bereft of comment this year; however, IMO the ‘best’ – in terms of summation have been made in the last week of so. With your indulgence – making it a longish post – shall we take a brief look at those recent arrivals.

From the UP. I will repeat it here – as there are some sidebars which add flavour.

Glenn: I recently left CASA because it had totally lost it's way.

Here we enter the realms of ‘credibility’. Aunt Pru has many mates who have ‘worked’ for the CASA machine; not with – but for. This is an important ‘tell’. However, those AP knows cannot, nor dare speak out for many reasons. In the Pub over a beer – the stories are truly awful – beggar the imagination of those who can imagine plenty. Even so; we may take the following as a ‘layman’s guide’ to the way things stand.

"The body (it is not an organisation) that I originally joined was transformed after Mr Carmody joined into a true branch of the public service. Layer upon layer of new management, confusion about roles, lots of "Plans" but no coordination of change, zero documentation, inability to keep regulations up to date, and as far as I could determine absolutely no safety assessment process. An SMS, as required by all authorisation holders, is completely missing from CASA. No-one in my branch could even detail the required content of a Safety Case or how such a submission would be assessed by CASA!

The ‘bolded’ part rings true. The base line for deciding if a ‘thing’ is ‘safe’ or not is a mystical black art. Some of the alleged ‘safety cases’ CASA have hay-stacked are the stuff of legend. Some of the matters let slide are a short road to a burning wreck – Canley Vale for just one example. The highly subjective, personalised way a CASA FOI may decide a ‘safety matter’ forms a base part of the dangerous road Australia is on. Make no mistake about it; so long as a personal ‘opinion’ of what is or is not safe – without a SMS/ Sector Risk Analysis (SRA) and comprehensive, clearly defined guide lines – soon or late – the loop holes left in an operators modus will cause an accident. The majority of those enslaved to the CASA behemoth have little to no experience as aircraft operators, chief pilots or chief flight instructors; most have never run an aviation business. Without guidance and experience - opinion rules; not ‘safety’.  (Unless its legal safety for CASA).

"I tried to raise your plight internally to get the corporate response but all I ever got was "he's a nutter', "difficult to deal with" and as for PPRuNe - who reads that rubbish anyway! In other words corporate denial that there was even a problem and if the messenger dared to suggest CASA may be wrong - there are a thousand egos willing to toe the company line.

Standard response – but our correspondent fails to mention the vehemence with which a ‘complainant’ will be dealt with. CASA have and still do pursue ‘personal grudges’ and the CASA line to a point which can, seriously damage reputation, earning ability and even a career. Should this latest Senate inquiry wish to be taken seriously; and, genuinely want to set matters aeronautical to rights; they should call for ‘Complaints’ from industry folk. In camera – fine; but if ever the truth gets loose in the corridors of power – well!
{Aside} – Pprune has a fairly extensive readership. Aunt Pru is no slouch in that department. Since last Christmas only 1.25 million have read our twiddles and rambles; 40% of that readership is from the USA. The ‘E-mail’ loops return messages of sympathy, advice and; importantly, one repetitive question. “Why do you guy’s put up with it?” It is a bloody good question.

"I wish you luck but they have got so much money set aside to protect the Minister from criticism that they will simply use the legal system to bankrupt you over and over until you are forced to give up.

This bipartisan bollocks and ministerial protection racket just has to stop. At a stretch, you could take it back as far as Lockhart River; without too much effort you could go back to the ‘Staunton report’ – which not only rocked the minister to the soles of his boots, but the rest of ‘em too. The only quarrel we have with Staunton is that he knocked off early – CAA assisted manslaughter was, IMO, on the cards. Instead of a righteous reform we drew today’s paranoia. Rot this deep must be ruthlessly cut out – the Kiwi’s did it; miles ahead now.

"My advice is to forget tribunals and courts and go political. If you can get a politician onside money becomes meaningless. Your issues can be raised in parliament under privilege and reported on verbatim by the media. That will really put the pressure right back where the Minister does not like it - in plain view.

Amen to that. Until the ‘government’ stop hiding behind so called ‘expert’ advice and taking the easy way out of Dodge; nothing will change for the better. The minister should be ‘responsible’ and made to defend the actions of CASA against the ‘opposition’. That, in my book is democracy in action – not the farcical inaction we see from the DPM’s office. Disgusting, cowardly and cheap. Not the democracy we pay for – not by a long shot.

Should you, perchance think I’m drawing the long bow of total lack of political interest apart from ‘protection. Take a coffee and read the results of P2’ research – on the tip of the iceberg. Post 1Post 2. Read ‘em and weep.

Ref: https://auntypru.com/red-rag-post/ & 4G leaves it to the experts (CASA) on airport safety - TICK..TOCK! & Times up for Pel_air MkII & https://auntypru.com/sbg-17-11-19-gloves...-all-that/

St Commode’s wee tanty. HERE -.

What a complete, utter load of BOLLOCKS. I could live with that – Mr part time, mostly cranky could/would/ should say stuff like that – they pay him enough to do so. Piece of cake with his minion controlling what passes as ministerial ‘thought’; or, even vague feelings of responsibility for his portfolio. It would be disappointing had the patron Saint of aviation safety not had a wee speech prepared for him; he has a huge rice bowl to protect after all. But – and it is a bloody great big BUT – “Objection M’Lud”.

Commode - “Some of my own research.
Qualified to research are we? Expert in matters aeronautical are we? Run an airline, flight school, charter outfit? Held an AOC? Written an Operations Manual? Trained dozens of pilots?

Commode - “is starting to indicate to me that” What? What exactly is it indicating? Please shed the light of your vast aeronautical experience on those of us with but a humble lifetime at the coal face. I’m all a twitter to hear your words of wisdom.

Commode - “… those who work hardest at pushing back against the regulator are often the same ones who end up having serious accidents or incidents in flight,”

Ref: https://auntypru.com/canonization-aye-use-the-big-ones/

Evidence ya Loon – a requirement under the law. Not the sort of muck CASA put up to scare the natives; but clear, demonstrable, unequivocal proof. Better still – where’s your carefully researched paper on how to prevent VFR pilots persisting into IMC? A weather awareness course? No? Perhaps ‘Escape route strategy’? No – well howzabout an inexpensive, cohesive system for Instrument Flight qualifications? No - all too hard for you; perhaps you should get some expert, qualified advice before you start flapping your gums and making idiot, unsubstantiated statements in the press. Fraudulent, fatuous, flatulent fat ass wanker. (P7 two bob added).

[Image: 17212.jpg]

“The soul becomes dyed with the colour of its thoughts.” ― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

Aye well – perhaps I’m being just too subtle for the great aviation thinkers of our day; their clever machinations beyond my scope and outside my ambit. The great game of aviation reform unfolding before my very eyes – and me, just too thick to see it. Perhaps, if I too could loose a few marbles, I could see the light – alas; I’m quite fond of the few marbles I have; reckon I’ll keep ‘em; if it’s all the same to you – even if it’s not.

Well, that’s Christmas for another year. I managed to get the ‘cupboard’ finished – the ‘box’ with shelves ain’t too much of a chore; but the blasted drawer, would not cooperate, made it twice. The door worked out Ok – raised panel in a lovely, deeply featured bit of book matched Cherry I found at the back of the rack. Delivered, on time (just) as requested and required by the powers that be; just like an aircraft; on time and in one piece. Speaking of which – per ardua ad the loot. The colt needs a ride, the dogs need an out, I need to be away from this excellent new key-board (Cheers Santa) and the night air is fresh, cool and clear. A few drops of rain would most adequately complete my wish list.

Selah

P2 comment: Not sure what 'Old Mate' Thorny is playing at 'Trumping' the SBG with Snippets but in case you missed it Mr A on the Glenn Buckley thread on the UP 

Quote:Mr Approach:

To respond to Duck Pilot, Mark Skidmore told me that he was leaving CASA because he was sick of "banging his head against a brick wall".

In his case that would have be the Department, acting on behalf of the Minister, because he otherwise controlled the CASA agenda.

Regardless of press releases, the Department is mortified about change, they need the status quo so that the Minister can never be blamed if something goes wrong.

When something does go wrong, as with Angel Flight, then the response must be more regulation, regardless of whether it actually addresses the problem. the Minister is then seen to have acted and all is now well again.

Well done Minister!

Followed by -  Wink

Quote:It is satisfying to have Aunty Pru re-quote me in her blog however she claims that I failed to mention the "Standard response – but our correspondent fails to mention the vehemence with which a ‘complainant’ will be dealt with. CASA have and still do pursue ‘personal grudges’ and the CASA line to a point which can, seriously damage reputation, earning ability and even a career."

I did that because it would have moved the focus from Glenn to myself, my issues are not the problem and never will be in my posts. Having said that I agree with Aunties summation of the CASA view about "messengers" - "will be shot on sight" - to quote an old table of corporate culture. Personalities, cliques, favourites, in-crowds, old boys clubs, they are allowed to operate unchecked, to become part of one is the average employees dream. Therein lies a long career, plenty of overseas junkets, lots of time to contemplate life and eventually a rich retirement. The Aviation Industry - outside of Defence, the major airlines, and essential vote winners such as the RFDS, is just a nuisance.

To quote my executive manager when I first joined CASA - "I want to know about something if it affects a politician, will get in the media, or concerns Sydney Airport" deal with everything else yourselves!

MTF...P2  Tongue
[Image: SBG-050120.jpg]
Refs: https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...anure.html & As Australia burns: Whatever happened to the L for Leadership?

Why is it so: or, WTD are we paying for?

Or, when red faced, roaring lions become lambs. I am reminded of an old phrase:-

[Image: 16x9-1.jpg] 
Ref: https://www.sbs.com.au/news/as-bushfires...ate-change

This was ever true; a ‘leader’ is someone to whom ‘we’ give ‘command’. A chief pilot is an example; top dog, boss of the wash etc. It is normal and a recognised requirement that should the chief be away on holiday; or, in hospital, after falling off the trapeze at the cat house; there is always a ‘deputy’. This is a responsible position, a fail safe; one which allows ‘operations’ to continue as normal. Same-same at sea; same-same in almost any endeavour you can think of. The military know and understand this phenomenon very, very well. The ‘chain of command’, when broken, repaired - almost as quick as winking.

It seems this is not the case in the governance of Australia. Consider, if you will, in simple airman’s terms, the CP (Boss) is off on leave, the 2IC holds the fort – then, the whotsit hits the watcuhamacallit. What does a good deputy do? Yes, that’s right, he bloody well gets on with it; sorts the mess and does ‘whatever is necessary’ to remedy a given situation.

Not so our DPM. The ‘boss’ is on holiday – furry muff. The land catches fire – big time.  Where was our DPM? This question time faker, this red faced ‘roarer’ , shouter of the odds, (and lover of ‘children’s poetry’). The boss was away – did he step up and take the reigns? No, he did not. Has the Deputy PM made one worthwhile contribution to the bush fire emergency? Has he consulted the PMC for advice of how best government may assist; troops, machinery, man power, even filthy money? Nope. Not a ducking sausage, not even a slightly singed pigeon with a message from the Wimp of Wagga.

Oh. He did make some soppy ‘twitter’ comment about a friend who survived the inferno; but that was about it. Darren Chester meanwhile went to work and moved stuff to assist. Victoria owes him much more credit than he claims – Bravo. He was mislead in the management of the aviation portfolio; but he at least had balls and brain enough to sack his CASA ‘advisor’. Only McCormack could be dumb enough to allow the same advice to make him, and government seem fool.

ScoMo was ‘on leave’ – so what? The DPM should have stepped up to the crease. He failed to do so. Just say, Canberra was hit by a bomb (Shush) and we not only lost the PM but were in a hostile situation. The fate of the nation would the depend on the Witless Wonder from Wagga. Gods help us all if a national emergency floors him – what chance Oz when real trouble lobs in? If I ruled the roost, I have this useless bully burned in effigy at every burned out home I could find. Leadership? – Bwaw Ha Ha – Aye, may Pagan gods help us.

Plus Additional ref: https://auntypru.com/sbg-15-09-19-weltschmerz/

Not in a position to advise a PM – but old mate Machiavelli was; he said this:

“The first method for estimating the intelligence of a ruler is to look at the men he has around him.”

The PM should consider this advice, carefully – not only is the DPM job an important one in time of crisis, it is essential to the stability and ‘confidence’ in government a country has. You have a gullible, incompetent fool running Transport and Infrastructure – is this wise? A deputy leader of this nation who can hardly tie his own boot laces, let alone lead a nation out of crisis. I say a CP should be able to take a break, knowing that his 2IC has his back and will get things ‘sorted. It is your call PM- you d’ boss. But I don’t see Barnaby or Chester sitting in a corner wringing their hands. Look at Patrick’s style – cometh the hour – there is the man. (Navy trained – of course).

[Image: de098b1cc631f7bee5a5517a2c32c89f-e1578291373142.jpg]
Ref: Sic'em'Rex and Jacqui have the Govt in their sights for 2020???

Aye well, the PM would not know of Aunt Pru if she bit him on the ass (big target); even if he did, I doubt my twiddles along with countless others would even get past the first line of defence. But I’ve said my say – as I see it; and, can do no more.

Ref: https://abcmedia.akamaized.net/rn/podcas...1_0734.mp3

[Image: 8JNQVMFvsoi9iZZa-e1578292437626.jpg]

No matter; hell, I nearly dropped my Ale; dogs making a hell of a fuss. Ah, ‘tis but TOM, with a fair amount of quality Tasmanian Blackwood, rescued from destruction. Cunning blighter, he almost thieved it – cost a slab of beer. Pleased to be shut of it the boy’s on site said. I can see chocolate coloured shaving, tinged with gold being reformed into serviceable, useful (we don’t do much ‘decorative) - things like the architects order for a staircase. Those are fun to make, most satisfactory when complete and installed. “Ale with you” says the man – “after we’ve unloaded the plunder” says I. As we work I wonder – how much wonderful wildlife and timber have we lost, and whether those in power realise the loss.

Ours is not to wonder why. Ours is just to do or die.”

Selah.

P2 comment: The final word from our Muppet Mick Mack, via the Betoota Advocate  Tongue

[Image: sbg-5120.jpg]
[Image: SBG-120120-1024x724.jpg]
Ref: https://esa.act.gov.au/cbr-be-emergency-...-bushfires   

The moving finger writes.

Omar Khayyam wrote the quatrain which began with those words, way back (1048 – 1131). He managed to sum up, in four lines, a truth which cannot be gainsaid. For once a ‘thing’ is done – it is done and done forever. It also says looking back is of little value – ‘it ain’t the way we’re going – is it? However; much grief and strife could have been avoided had we taken heed of ‘history’ - the lessons provided and good advice. Alas…

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,

Moves on: nor all thy Piety nor Wit

Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,

Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.

Another ancient problem which is often ignored is ‘agenda’ – for example:-

Sharkie MP. “Similar to existing legislation in the UK & NZ this Bill will demand action and accountability from Govt”.

Standing alone; the quote makes very good sense – it should be that ‘government’ be accountable. But, behind that good idea there is an agenda. Which, IMO, negates the good intention. It has to do with climate change – not ‘governance’. There are so many ‘climate’ drums being banged (and so much money being made from it) it is almost impossible to define a clear, unbiased, consensus on the real realities and a balanced approach. Recently I actually did some reading on the subject (quite a lot in fact); not being an intellectual giant and being brought up to ‘think a bit’ first, ‘engage brain before opening gob.’ I thought a ‘history’ of the planet may be a good place to start. It seems ‘climate change’ is not only very real but has been going on since Earth was a red hot glowing lump of rock. Ice ages and ‘hot periods’ are a routine event for Old Mother Earth; she’s been ‘at it’ for billions of years; and will no doubt continue the events – as and when it pleases. Then there are little things, like the Sun and the tilt of the Earths axis and the movement of the tectonic plates and volcanoes and their affect of ocean currents etc. Being going on for aeons - with and without permission from human kind. Sort of puts the whole thing in perspective – don’t it. Climate is always changing and will continue to do so.– The problem for the folk of this planet is not what to do in order to prevent it, but how can we best manage to survive the inevitable changes. Enter the government; which takes directly to the nub (finally). P2 has been digging about a bit:-

“On 26 March 2003 the House of Representatives established a Select Committee to inquire into the recent Australian bushfires. The Committee invited interested persons and organisations to make submissions addressing the terms of reference and it held public hearings around Australia. The committee tabled the report of its inquiry on Wednesday 5 November 2003. The tabling of the report concluded the committee's work and the committee was then dissolved. The Australian government presented its response to the report on Thursday 15 September 2005.”

There were 500 submissions: a 500 page report and almost 60 recommendations – it took two entire years to get a response. Very few of those recommendations have been fully implemented.

P2 – “Another classic example of a good well intentioned Parliamentary inquiry that generated many excellent, government backed recommendations being kyboshed by both the passage of time and the political will to see it through.”

Too bloody true. Bipartinsane had a lot to do with it – all agreed it was a ‘good thing’ - then, promptly knocked off and thought no more about. Relying on the back room to get it sorted - really, they did. Nary a question raised about how many ‘recommendations had been put in place; and, if not why not? Never even a question at question time about what government were doing to implement the recommendations. Nada, Zip, Zero. In short, as no one in particular had been charged (requested and required) or made accountable (responsible), the good work done was diluted and obfuscated and became a ‘make-work to do nothing serious’. Simply because no one asked the question “where are we”?.

Not to steal any thunder from the bushfires (actually forest fires) there is a salutary lesson to be learned related to bipartinsane as regards aviation and the unholy brangle it has devolved into. The parallel is inescapable. Major parliamentary inquiry (lots of); hundreds of submissions; thousands of words; countless recommendation; international audit; all saying the same thing. Australian aviation is in a mess and getting worse by the day. Yet no one is held ‘accountable’. Why?

[Image: 112318.jpg?1499000207]

Ref: https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus...report.htm

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTKzODRuZD64ACT2te00NM...tBERBogA&s]

[Image: ds-up.jpg]
Ref: ToARE: Part III & 16.3.99 - Minister John Anderson to DS CASA Chairman re ultralights & https://www.dicksmithfairgo.com.au/wp-co...ooklet.pdf

[Image: forsythe2.jpg]
Ref: Oz aviation safety? - stuck in a timewarp & https://www.infrastructure.gov.au/aviati...index.aspx

Both these elements are essential to the well being of this nation –well  they are! Aviation has once again proven it’s worth, the fires have proven their ability to create havoc. In both areas how much sage advice has been given? How may have voiced their concern and offered ‘expert’ and even not so expert advice to inquiry? How many more times do we have to watch the good intentions of robust inquiry be diluted and even ridiculed by those to whom the task of reform and rectification is delegated, treated with thinly concealed contempt and terminal ‘expert’ arrogance? Then, to watch as those responsible for ‘inquiry’ and ensuring recommendation is turned into rectification slip out of the back door – taking only a general ‘responsibility’ and being ‘bipartinsane complicit’  out the whazoo - and never, ever asking what has been done – or even better yet, why a thing has not been done. 

Since 1999 – Aviation has been calling for reform. Since 2003 the government have been aware of the potential for a lethal firestorm. Is now not a good time for asking why decades old recommendations have not been implemented? Common sense would say yes.

I love a sunburnt country,

A land of sweeping plains,

Of ragged mountain ranges,

I love her far horizons,

I love her jewel-sea,

Her beauty and her terror

The wide brown land for me!

How long can we tolerate the will of the people, earnestly expressed in hope of keeping this land true to it’s promise if slack arse, too busy politicians keep ignoring good advice and relying on do naught bureaucrats. Either the government or the bureaucrats are responsible to the people for getting things done. Who is it to be? Do we sack government or kick some plush, trough fed arse and make it happen – as requested and required? An order if you will – blatantly ignored – that is a hanging offense. Rule 303.

Be buggered if I know; but it’s well past time when someone is held ‘accountable’ for the many failures of bipartinsane and political buck passing.

[Image: sbg1.jpg]

[Image: DmFkCEYVsAEYmMS-e1578899188634.jpg]

[Image: maxresdefault-1.jpg]
Ref: https://youtu.be/D5Pe94tUSUY

Aye well; FWIW, that’s my Sunday ramble. Way, far away from any small expertise I have but, surprise: I can read and even do joined up writing – grown up stuff I know – but even I can see where this endless game of ‘electioneering over good governance’ is taking us. Rudderless, toward the brink.

No bush fire slobber from me – just a heartfelt wish that the recent tragedy had been averted through sage advice and clear warning heeded. But then, despite knowing a lot better, yesterday I carelessly handled a piece of Blackwood – the splinters are seriously nasty, hurt and are the very devil to get out – sore paw for a week now. No matter – my fault and I do know better. Away dogs; we have much to discuss with friends – Part 61 and the liberties taken; Firefox and Fruit bats and Bristels being used and abused while Gen Buckley’s letter perfect solution lies trampled under agenda driven feet. Funny old world ain’t it though? Licenced to fly but can’t really. Trained in an aircraft which can’t be relied on for complete training. All for divide and conquer paranoia and the power it produces. Brilliant, world class cock up – 30 years and half a billion in the making. But we’re all safe now – CASA took out Angel Flight and Buckley. Stellar, ducking brilliant and one in the eye for interfering know naught politicians; listening to the rabble.

Bless ‘em, the dogs just fetched my boots in – they know – time to get out of here and take some night air. Can’t wait – if only I could tie these bloody laces, perhaps I too could be doing nothing :– is the Witless in Wagga job still vacant?

[Image: dog-stealing-shoe-157108318-335sm32113.jpg]

Selah……….
[Image: SBG-19120.jpg]
References: RAAus v ATSB: Occurrence reporting disconnections? & https://www.facebook.com/soaraviation/vi...57351/?t=0 & https://www.avweb.com/flight-safety/tech...ining-yes/

As the man with a wooden leg said;

[Image: 3565.jpg]

“In all matters of opinion, our adversaries are insane.” ― Oscar Wilde

In Oz Flying - Hitch – writes a paragraph referring to ‘Stall’ and a knock on effect – a ‘wing drop’ and the discussion CASA has put out to those interested. There are bound to be at least a hundred variations on the theme and four times that many ‘opinions’ on the matter. I even have one of my own – FWIW. The ‘safest’ aviation training system is arguably the USA, widely adopted as ‘the standard’. It is not a bad system and has produced many generations of competent pilots. Their approach to ‘stall’ etc. seems rational, reasonable and practical. I struggle to come to terms with a notion of a UPRT – more meaningless twaddle and yet another acronym to add the horrendous page count; not my idea of solving a basic problem. And anyway:-

[Image: 5754446.jpg]

“It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established authorities are wrong”. ― Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

But what then is the fuss all about? To certify a USA aircraft, in the ‘utility’ class (FAR 23) the ‘stall’ and recovery envelope is tested to ensure that even a ham handed student, stalling the aircraft can recover it. It is neither a difficult nor dangerous routine part of basic flight training. ALL instructor pilots in the USA (last I checked) were certified for ‘stall/spin’ recovery – which made control of things out of shape’ even more reliable i.e. a ‘safe training environment’. Ordinarily – I’d hardly mention a breeze in a tea cup like this one except for RA Oz and SOAR being much in focus at the moment.

[Image: DouQZqOU4AA9cFZ.jpg]
Ref: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-10-05/p...l/10343032

That story is not a teacup storm; it is a deeply seated, carefully concealed time bomb which needs to be dealt with now - now. The ‘system’ reported accident and incident ratio alone raises many questions of the ministerial pimping, CASA sanctioned, much ‘exempted’, self managed system which is now training future generations of pilots - or was. Quite apart from the standard and quality of training observed through ‘accident and incident’ statistics; there are some serious questions being raised relating to the suitability for training of the aircraft provided. Enter the spinning dragons (Aye, they’re all at it).

[Image: flat1000x1000075f.u1.jpg]

One of the scariest spin dragons lives in the RA Oz Operations Manual.

“Persons undertaking flying training and other types of flying in recreational aeroplanes are advised that there are risks involved. These risks cannot be specifically quantified however; recreational aeroplanes used for pilot training are constructed, operated and maintained under exemptions from the regulations.

These exemptions are from the regulations that apply to General Aviation aeroplanes. Whilst similar rule sets apply to our organisation and replace those that we are exempt from, it must be accepted that the overall safety of recreational flying is generally below the well-known commercial air transport standards in Australia.”

4. Flight training described in this manual and its supplements must be completed with particular regard to stalls and stalls with wing drops, along with regard for the limited flight envelope of many RAAus aeroplanes. Specifically, the smaller differences between stall speed and the climb, cruise and gliding speeds for some aeroplanes and the relatively low inertia of recreational aeroplanes.

Very coy ain’t it. But, this not the place for a lesson in basic aerodynamics; but, if you’re not familiar, find a qualified reference source or a friendly instructor and have ‘em explain why ‘certified aircraft’ mostly have a fairly good ‘buffer’ – a margin of speed - over the speed at which the aircraft will cease to fly and that which allows a slow landing speed. Not rocket science. 

[Image: 1fe38b90b58d2e3ac218e41536d5b25c.jpg]
Ref: https://www.theage.com.au/national/victo...53j9i.html

What may not be fully understood is that ‘close’ or as RA Oz quaintly put it ‘smaller’ differences between the critical speeds provide a challenge to even experienced pilots – in short what the blurb avoids saying is that some of the aircraft used for basic training are ‘unforgiving’. The last aircraft I’d want any child of mine flying would one which will not allow, tolerate or forgive an airspeed fumble; particularly at low altitude, slow (landing) ‘dirty’ (flap and wheels) in a very busy, multi runway, training environment, with radio control and other distractions such as traffic, the sun, wind and turbulence. Trainee pilots need every ounce of ‘forgiveness’ an aircraft has. Anything less leads to a high incident and accident count; of which there is a disproportionate amount; the ‘stats’ are there on the RA Oz web site – check it out.

[Image: 880695.jpg]

“What really matters is what you do with what you have.” ― H.G. Wells

I’ll leave it there – been a fair bit said already this last week; minister led astray again; CASA mired in a self made legal mud hole; exemptions out the jet pipe; the astounding difference in ‘treatment’ both Angel Flight and Buckley have received for little explainable reason; ATSB cherry-picking which accidents they will investigate. Lots of young hopeful wanab’s in queer street with debt. Oh, it’s a big deal alright – will it become legend or simply dribble through the bipartinsane cracks under our ‘concerned’ politicians plush fundamentals? The tote is open for those brave enough to have a flutter. No matter; the grown ups have taken an interest, a serious one. No doubt their deliberations (once the shouting stops) will be provided to the RRAT committee – for consideration in due course. I can’t wait to see the draft.

I know I’ve banged this drum all week – but it is a serious matter in more ways than one and it demands a wide view from base regulation through to probity and integrity of the system – across the entire spectrum. Half a billion spent; thirty years to get almost finished regulations and yet here we have an operation running on ‘exemptions’ which has been left wide open to marketing manipulation. By both ‘regulator’ and the RA Oz administration and management. Someone has to pull their socks up; any guesses – the Tote is still open.

[Image: ufqgy5s3alqtd9mcxvpf-e1579438284995.jpg]

Well; I do believe there is one, solitary Ale left in the stable fridge; dogs are spark out – been chasing raindrops all day; rolling in puddles and not happy to see the bucket and hose pipe waiting at the door after their frolic. Clean, brushed, fed and watered –good now they are asleep. Ayup, definitely time to rescue that lonesome, cold survivor.

Selah.
[Image: SBG-2220-1024x725.jpg]

The curse is come upon me.

You just never know when ‘the other boot’ is going to fall, do you. There I was, tranquil, sanguine, ambling into the local – nothing to disturb happy thoughts of a darts match and a few quiet cold Ales on a hot day. “Hoi – get in here” I looked around to see who rudely dare disturb my placid world view. P7 and two ‘heavies’ from the BRB; that’s who. “Nah": say’s I, "not a chance – night off – darts – Ale – go away”. Silence the stern reply. One held the door of the private bar open, the other two stepped aside – limited options – “OK; but just until the comp starts”. The beggars even had a pint on the table – my seat vacant – so I sat. “What?” P1 is a gentleman – he waited until I’d taken the top inch of my pint; then, he quietly outlined intentions. In short, they have cooked up a plan; a submission to the next Estimates inquiry. “thought we’d decided against it” says I. “Let me explain” says he. He then quoted (with a crafty smile):-

[Image: 38285.jpg]

“The reason for evil in the world is that people are not able to tell their stories.” ― Carl Gustav Jung

“We want those stories told, mud, blood, shit and guts.” “No holds barred”. The Senate have had a ridiculous amount of ‘evidence, data, solid operational logic and a shed load of protest; but not too many ‘true’ evidence supported stories of the way ‘the system’ is used, ruthlessly  against individuals and company’s”. “ I’ll bet the next round, that you, off the top of your head could quote a dozen instances”. He’s right of course.

Ref: CASE STUDY 02 - http://proaviation.com.au/2014/02/22/pro...-the-asrr/

[Image: cropped-Aircraft3.jpg]

I took a long drink and lit a smoke; “but it’s all been done before – went nowhere – fast”. “The travesty gents, as you all are very well aware, lays in the ‘termination’ not in restoration”. “The victims are long gone in political minds”. “Operations get shut down; not corrected a’la the USA system”. “The industry is literally ‘terrified’ to speak the truth – find me a chief pilot who dare say his FOI is a dickhead?” I thought that may slow ‘em down a bit. Alas. And so it seems P2 and myself are to detail and present some of the darkest, most heinous chapters in the long history of ‘Embuggerance’ Australian style. “That’s the thing” quips P1 and then he toddles off leaving me slightly gobsmacked. “You can do it” says P7 and then, off he trots – just like that.

Where, in the seven Hells do I begin this odyssey? I sat quietly for while, finished my pint and the germ of an idea occurred. Individually, one at a time, the wrongs inflicted can be skipped past, glossed over and buried. But; collectively, they make a hell of a story – damning. The place to begin, they say, is ‘at the beginning’. So where is the ‘beginning’ of a horror story found? Why in the people involved of course; the source of ‘the troubles’. Radically, that begins with the CASA boots on the ground – the FOI – a strange breed these days; but the ‘type’ is well enough known. Classed as ‘operational experts’ and they believe the piffle fed to ‘em. God like status? – sign here. Enter ‘the beast’.

“You know yourself what you are worth in your own eyes; and at what price you will sell yourself. For men sell themselves at various prices. This is why, when Florus was deliberating whether he should appear at Nero's shows, taking part in the performance himself, Agrippinus replied, 'Appear by all means.' And when Florus inquired, 'But why do not you appear?' he answered, 'Because I do not even consider the question.' For the man who has once stooped to consider such questions, and to reckon up the value of external things, is not far from forgetting what manner of man he is.”

― Epictetus, The Golden Sayings of Epictetus

See here children; this week P2 has produced a lot of important stuff which needs to be considered. Non of you are incapable of reading and comprehending the data provided. So, I’ll not be providing ‘links’ and explanatory notes; you’re all clever enough – it takes patience and time to digest it all – but if you are a serious thinking person, consider all and form an opinion. For mine - the system is rank – the SOAR, Buckley and Angel Fight tales alone should be enough to demand a reform – now. Well, that won’t happen unless this industry, as a whole, with one voice shouts ‘enough’ loud, long and as often as needs be.

[Image: 17142.jpg]

“The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” ― Edmund Burke

Fair comment – but when the man under discussion is not by true definition showing himself to be ‘a good man and true’; the need for serious change becomes not only urgent, but a thing a ‘responsible’ honest government of the people who gifted them power to consider and act on. Plenty of ministers have called for exactly that (the good ones that is). For make no mistake about it, P2 and I will oblige the BRB and IOS – the truth and nothing but etc. will be presented. It will become a subject of derision and unholy obfuscation if the industry and those concerned are not prepared to ‘tell it how it is’. How it really is – cash and no bullshit version. In camera, under privilege is available to all – take advantage of this. There have been three decades now of point and counterpoint – Spades played, redoubled and argued about – NOTHING HAS CHANGED. So, don’t fanny about ‘gilding the Lilies’. Tell the Committee, in plain language exactly what’s what. Start with the dangerous ‘fear’ of audit and CASA attention – on a whimsy or a personal vendetta.

I’ll start you off with a classic. Anon. "One fellah, a long, long while ago,  wanted a job with my outfit. I didn’t need a pilot. This pest rang two and three time a day for about a fortnight – courteously and properly, despite his conviction that ‘we’ really needed him, I explained ‘no vacancy’. In the end, out of patience I asked him to bugger off. Well he did – signed on with CASA; to this very day – that man has never once missed a chance to do me damage; even to international phone calls and whispering evil into the ears of his ‘best mates’. I know who he is, I hold transcripts and recordings. Even a couple of written statements from other ‘Authorities’ appalled by the behaviour. This is the dark side of CASA. The unspoken tale; that which may never be told. Unless ‘we’ tell it, as it is, unvarnished. Two options now remain: speak up or be forever beholden to and afraid of the ‘system’.

Well, I finished my Ale, played darts, walked home and decided that this may well the last chance ever to make a government realise what it is they are blindly allowing themselves to be lead around the garden path by – well clear of the compost heap.

[Image: SBG-2.jpg]

“Animals don't behave like men,' he said. 'If they have to fight, they fight; and if they have to kill they kill. But they don't sit down and set their wits to work to devise ways of spoiling other creatures' lives and hurting them. They have dignity and animality.” ― Richard Adams, Watership Down

[Image: 53139501_1029222827270738_67664680742887...24x768.jpg]

Bored with adding ‘G’s’ (for genuine) to McCormack’s illustrious name, the troops have picked up “Pinocchio” as a catchall. Puzzled, I innocently asked Why? You seen the size of that bokes ‘snozzle’? I admit I’d never given it a thought; but when they came to mention it – well.

The guy started off well endowed in the long nose race; but has anyone noticed how much longer the Mick-Mack 6G proboscis has grown lately? 

[Image: Untitled_Clipping_020320_070039_PM-e1580721514294.jpg]

Some say due to his constantly tweaking it to avoid the stench, others have it that a need for more thought assisting finger room has increased the proboscis to it’s present state.– The rest of us; those who believe in Karma say simply that the camera’s have stopped being kind to this creature from NDI land. That is a fair assessment. Look at the mans path through life, then ask the only question that matters: – is this man capable of leading this nation? In a nutshell NO!. So why are we pretending he can?

[Image: bannerrrr-1024x368.jpg]

“Unfair and opaque political financing and undue influence in decision making and lobbying by powerful interest groups” in some democracies including Australia, may have resulted in the increased perception of corruption, Transparency International says.

Which leaves me only our very own Hooded Canary to deal with. Item last: the C130 crash. Much here to discuss. P2 has (again) done a first class job and his comparison of the ATSB whimsical approach to the NTSB completely professional handing of the high profile ‘chopper’ fatal opens up many legitimate lines of inquiry. Our ATSB, encumbered by a MoU has been a crippled thing for a long while now. Some say it began with Lockhart River – others prefer alternate benchmarks. No matter – whichever way you look at – the outfit is not ‘up to snuff’. This we could probably deal with; under the heel of the CASA boot, a willing accomplice in Hood. Constrained by PC and ministerial sensitivity, short on resource, short of qualified men. Hag ridden by the likes of Godley (of AF fame) – small wonder their performance is well below world class par. All of this (IMO) is fixable; a stroke of the ministers pen, wave of a magic political wand, bring back highly qualified staff; and, hey Presto. An accident investigator we can, once gain, be proud of. But Hood is a problem of an entirely different colour. Through ‘the network’ and associates we may, when needed, reach out to expertise beyond our own humble qualifications. I do mean experts. We asked several of them to review the Hood performance from the minute the C130 accident occurred to the Chanel (whatever) news grab interview. The ‘package’ we sent began with the ‘Courage’ wrist straps Hood provided to our hard working ATCO’s, progressed though MH 370, onto Angel Flight and to the mad helicopter dash to be seen ‘on the scene’ (in the media scrum) at the boundary of the C130 event. NTSB v ATSB consider. I’ll say no more – except to many this behaviour is a bridge too far for many to reach. It cannot be supported; the minister must act. 

Ref: A new low.

Vs 

Ref: C&C III: Homendy Final Media brief.

Aunt Pru policy with accident is to avoid discussing any serious event publically, until there is some sort of official response. Rarely, am I ashamed to be Australian; but, we all monitored the PPrune Australian based C 130 thread; eventually it was locked. What a disgraceful exhibition it was; gods alone know what the world must think of Australian aviation against the standard that thread demonstrated. A shame, for many of the comments and notions were ‘valid’ and deserving of discussion; even without an official report to consider. There was a chance to shine – no longer. {P7 - You do realise that the entire aviation world was 'reading' that thread - what must they think of us now?}

Aye well. No matter: I have a road trip to make. There is, in a secret location (he don’t advertise) a wood yard – made an appointment, discussed the ‘Grandfather’ clock remake and found a kindred spirit – an interested one. So my journey down the centuries begins – to identify and select the ‘right’ pieces, at the right water content level, matching of grain and texture, selecting pieces which may be ‘book-marked’ and jointed to provide serviceability and beauty. I’ve taken the station wagon – no choice – almost 90 Kg of dogs wanna come for a ride. What can I say? Anyway, they’ll both sing along if I start it – cracks me up – buskers they ain’t

Selah.

[Image: gettyimages-200514406-001-612x612-1.jpg]
[Image: sbg9220.jpg]

TIME – Gentlemen; please!

The plaintive call of a desperate pub Landlord at the end of the night. A long night indeed. It is time to wind up, close down and send the punters home. That singular call should be made for the CASA – it’s time this session was over. They’ve had a bloody good innings – but it is now time to wind it up; taxi’s all around and let the cast and crew clean up the mess left behind. Ready for a new start.

The mess left behind from the CASA party is monstrous, nasty; legally and operationally dangerous. The litter from parts 61,141 and 142 strewn about the place is grotesque. A minister exposed as part and parcel of the fraud – albeit a hapless puppet in one of the greatest swindles ever inflicted. He may yet be forgiven, although ‘ignorance’ has never been considered as valid excuse. However, the total part 61, 141 and part 142 ‘scam’ has yet to be revealed. Artfully hidden behind the ‘safety’ guise; the whole thing is almost – but not quite believable. It would (and did) take ‘experts’ years to decipher the ‘spirit and intent’ of the legislation, let alone work out the subtle machinations behind ‘the scheme’. 

Date: 29 November 2017

[Image: sbga-e1581382701127.jpg]

Ref: Part II: It gets worse & Sandy on St Commode's bollocks missive

One of the very first system checks any flight crew makes is to ensure that the Shit/Fart separator is functioning correctly. Get’s awful when that particular element fails. Strongly recommended procedure for know nothing – do little ministerial types (or wannabee’s). Same as Ducks. Shove your finger into a sensitive spot – if it quacks – no bullshit – it’s a DUCK.

Hitch - “There are probably two main factors behind it: Part 61/141/142 and a growing nervousness about the stability and viability of some businesses”.

"Yesterday CASA released some ‘clarifying advice’ on what happens when a student pilot wants to change schools."

Finally; the first world catches up with the nuts and bolts of the madman’s scheme. Jonathan (he of the lost marbles’)– has orchestrated his grand design into an almost cataclysmic event. A total breakdown of the traditional, world wide accepted, proven system of pilot training. Part 61 is an almost incomprehensible rag bag of legal gobbledygook. Parts 141 and 142 are already showing the loop holes which can be, and are ruthlessly exploited to provide an expensive, sub-standard product. The ‘hard’ part for the minister (and Buckley) is that he was conned into open support for this grand fraud being perpetuated on not only ‘students’ but, on any future accident directly related to this aberration.

Date received: 7 November 2019

[Image: sbgc-e1581382623284.jpg]

Ref: Part 61, 141 & 142 exemptions  

I’m not sure of the numbers; but, I’d bet a beer that the USA trains between three and four times the number of pilots Australia trains. Their training system is clearly defined; the results freely available. The thing of most concern is the pilots we are producing – those who will in a few years be commanding aircraft carrying hundreds of passengers. How long will it be until we know what they ‘don’t know’? We can no longer rely on the integrity of the ATSB to investigate and publish ‘the facts’ – let alone the root cause of fatal accident. The evidence M’lud is in front of you. Yes it is; no good will come from denial.

[Image: sbgc-1-e1581378386124.jpg]

Ref: 8_PGW-1 & Closing the safety loop - Coroners, ATSB & CASA & Definitely Overdue, certainly obfuscated. & https://www.theaustralian.com.au/busines...3aa0485492

Let me explain – when the truth of the Ross Air scandal emerges, when the real facts of the Canley Vale fatal emerge; when the media has hold of the information ATSB has suppressed on Essendon. Even down to such a small event as Mt Gambier when the 'facts become public knowledge - arse covering (or do something) is recommended. The unholy machinations; through ‘political’ connections and suspected interference - will become known. All– to protect a known miscreant?– Well: I'll leave that to your imagination will I minister. For the facts will become known – we know ‘em. Gloves off – enough with the bull-pooh already. Aunt Prue’s instructions clear. Leave the gun – take the Cannolli.  

There is to be yet another “Senate Inquiry”. There have been many others –non of which identified and rectified the ‘violence inherent in the system’. Some got close; some were so far removed from reality it beggars belief: others; well, they were simply a staged ‘feel good’ event: departmental window dressing if you like. The history of these events is crystal clear – nothing changed. In fact, matters aeronautical have descended to a new low through many of these rump covering, expensive pantomimes. Can this Senate committee break through the almost insurmountable barriers and bull shit? Can a do nowt, controlled, confounded, confused halfwit minister do anything?

Some say – play the long game. I say BOLLOCKS. One shot – tell the next Estimates tea party that which will shock ‘em. Tell ‘em straight and, most importantly – do not allow them to wriggle off the hook. The ‘system’ is well and truly buggered – you know it: I know it; Hells bells the world and the hanger cat knows it. So, just for once – don’t hide behind the piss poor excuse of ‘complex law’. The real statement is along the lines of – CASA is a totally Ducked Up, out of control, politically condoned and fully supported basket case. Reform the regulator – before it’s too late. Many would say it is too late – far too late. The incumbent village idiot, hired to advertise and promote a product by a bunch of self seeking snake oil salesmen needs to think about protecting his own soar rear end. Don’t forget – he who will carry the can.

[Image: sbgd-2-e1581382401704.jpg]

Ref: Glen B - Administrative Action Part B emails

That’s it. Read Hitch – or better still talk to any ‘independent’ flight school operator; other than the ministers promoted favourite – which just happens to have  a ‘minor’ problem (or two). But who’s counting? Buckley 0 – Ministers Pick – 46.

Aye well – three days in a wood yard – that’s right; three days. I’ll not bore you all with the discussions – but many there were. Each individual ‘board’ weighed, measured, and closely examined. It comes down to a myriad of subtleties, grain, texture, colour, features to be bookmarked (matched), final size after refinement – long list of debate’. In the end ‘we’ – much to the dog’s delight loaded the selected pieces onto the roof rack, paid the bill and departed. Of course, I’m not allowed to pick up a saw without ‘proper’ supervision. I may ‘plane’ to requirements; but, not cut. The man is coming to supervise those. And so, my 1906 – 1910 bench planes are allowed to (carefully) trim the selected timber to ‘near enough’ the right size. P7 is involved (cahoots). Today he’s turned up to make sure the planes are ‘perfect’. Excuse to drink my Ale I calls it. Dogs; so delighted to be home they didn’t even chase the cat, despite provocation.

Selah…………
[Image: SBG-16220-1024x725.jpg]
Ref: Strict liability, strictly enforced. & http://auntypru.com/a-cabaret-in-the-temple-of-doom/

Prima facie; primarily facile, or Piss take?

“Accepted as correct until proved otherwise”. A perfect, nutshell description of the regulatory process. We, in Australia have paid for and sat (miserably) through many ‘Senate Inquiries’ into the antics of the ‘regulator’ – CASA, despairing of the questions asked. I’d even bet we hold a world record for the sheer volume of questions asked and answers given; (word count beyond human understanding) - non of which have made the slightest bit of difference as the wider aviation businesses, medium to light weight operations devolve into isolated cottage industries. Well all except for the huge, profitable ‘sausage factories’ that is; churning out ‘qualified’ clones of some scripted qualification regime which ensures all the boxes are ticked – nice and legal like. Which is fine until the airline HR model is hired and the cost of ‘training’ a clone to ‘do the job’ is passed on through exorbitant regional airfares. Why is this so? A question any reasonable man )yes, yes or woman( - Uhmm-  (human being) may ask. Phew.

Many believe it has to do with ‘the regulatory burden’. To a point, there is a case to answer on that score. The three decade endless ‘change’ has not, not by any measure, fiscal or operationally been a stellar success. Why is this so?

[Image: Untitled_Clipping_021820_012549_PM.jpg]

Well, we dragged P2 out of the deep basement shredder bins, brushed him off and retrieved his find; slightly mangled but nonetheless readable for all that. He toddles off to share his Choc Frog with his best mate (a rabbit he rescued – long story don’t ask) leaving us with the gubbins. 

“Senate standing order 23(4) also requires the committee to scrutinise each instrument to determine whether the attention of the Senate should be drawn to the instrument on the ground that it raises significant issues, or otherwise gives rise to issues that are likely to be of interest to the Senate”.

Agency engagement. 4.2 The committee is engaging with the relevant agencies via its secretariat to seek further information about potential scrutiny concerns raised by the instruments listed below.

> Terms of reference

> The committee's scrutiny principles are set out in Senate standing order 23(3) which requires the committee to scrutinise each instrument as to whether:

> (a) it is in accordance with its enabling Act and otherwise complies with all legislative requirements;

> (b) it appears to be supported by a constitutional head of legislative power and is otherwise constitutionally valid;

> © it makes rights, liberties, obligations or interests unduly dependent on insufficiently defined administrative powers;

> (d) those likely to be affected by the instrument were adequately consulted in relation to it;

> (e) its drafting is defective or unclear;

> (f) it, and any document it incorporates, may be freely accessed and used;

> (g) the accompanying explanatory material provides sufficient information to gain a clear understanding of the instrument;

> (h ) it trespasses unduly on personal rights and liberties;

> (i) it unduly excludes, limits or fails to provide for independent review of decisions affecting rights, liberties, obligations or interests;

> (j) it contains matters more appropriate for parliamentary enactment; and

> (k) it complies with any other ground relating to the technical scrutiny of delegated legislation that the committee considers appropriate.

Blind Freddy (G’day mate) can see the potential here for serious questions to be asked by  ‘the committee secretariat’. But it all turns to worms when :-“Seeking advice from the agency” is the response of choice. Then, it all gets to be a little ‘circular’. For example:-

Aviation Transport Security Amendment (Security Controlled Airports) Regulations 2019 [F2019L01656]

Principle (g) adequacy of explanatory materials
Principle (h) privacy
Principle (k) parliamentary oversight
Seeking advice from the agency.

Or:-

>Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Parts 103, 105 and 131) Regulations 2019 [F2019L01621]
Principle (i) availability of independent review
Principle (h) reversal of evidential burden of proof
Principle (h) privacy

[Image: Untitled_Clipping_021820_100245_AM.jpg]

Principle (h) - reversal of evidential burden of proof. Consider the ridiculous proposition posed. In all ‘criminal’ cases (real ones) as defined, the burden of proof falls where? Mens Rea and all that – denied, without a whimper from the protectors of democracy? WTD. Then, they refer it back to the agency ‘for advice’. Gods spare me…

Principals’ (i) through (h) as they relate to CASA enforcement demand immediate attention and close scrutiny – followed by immediate bipartinsane repeal. Unconstitutional? – Just a bit. Should the Senate ever want to resolve and save the time and money an Inquiry costs – perhaps they could just consider the outrage they’d feel at being guilty – without hope of defence for a misdemeanour? Even a clerical error or anything else CASA choose to whip up into a case against; – presented in the AAT – without the rules of evidence the police must rely on to prosecute? Not bloody funny. And yet here we are again – “seeking advice from the agency”. “Did you rob the bank?” – “Oh no M’lud was two other fellah’s”.  “Fair enough – off you go then”.

Question without notice Madam Chair – What exactly do you expect in response to your question – “to the Agency”. I suggest you refer to the 9,000 odd answers provided by ‘the agency’ for a quick answer. It’s like watching a duckling Ping-Pong match. The committee Pings it to the agency – they Pong it back. No one even considering the travesty inflicted on the ‘rule of law’ – which by the way - Parliament enshrined in our democracy. Want to know why the aviation industry is hacked off and scared to speak out? See the explanation – above.

Chair – So Doctor Aleck, do you think it is reasonable to give Bloggs a criminal record, which will affect his future career for making an arithmetical error on the technical log?

Lost Marbles – “Oh yes Madam chair” – “Safety is our prime concern”.  “He may pay the fine and forget the matter entirely; but we will keep the offence on record and will use it as ‘background’ to prove him not able to be rehabilitated and to pad our ‘catch rate’ of these offenders, committing heinous crimes against my tricky one way rules.”

Aye, just when you thought here was a beacon of hope, you discover the Senate oversight of our civil liberties, under homemade law rely on the ‘advice’ of those who penned the law; now under Senate ‘scrutiny’. Brilliant; stellar, world class – how ducking spectacular.

[Image: images-4.jpg]

No matter. The grandfather clock saga (serious stuff now). We have a cutting list (finally). These billets must be hand cut, according to my letter. I measured up with a 1900 vintage cabinet makers wooden ruler. Just for fun, TOM used the latest ‘laser’ measuring gizmo to compare. Beers were bet; I have half a fridge full now. 98% accuracy (half a thou) on 87% of measurements; no discernible difference in the remaining 13%. Not too shabby I’d say. Grandpapa's ruler had the right of it – carpenters are sundials – cabinet makers are Rolex.

But, do enjoy the workings of the Senate and your tax dollar while I slip through the orchard into a cool evening; no option, the dogs only wake up once the temperature drops “Out! – take me out” they bark. So I oblige ‘em – pretending it’s a lot of bother and trouble; but they know who woke ‘em from slumber. ‘Twas me and the biscuit tin. Shhhh!   

Selah.
(02-15-2020, 09:56 PM)Kharon Wrote: [ -> ][Image: SBG-16220-1024x725.jpg]
Ref: Strict liability, strictly enforced. & http://auntypru.com/a-cabaret-in-the-temple-of-doom/

“Accepted as correct until proved otherwise”. A perfect, nutshell description of the regulatory process. We, in Australia have paid for and sat (miserably) through many ‘Senate Inquiries’ into the antics of the ‘regulator’ – CASA, despairing of the questions asked. I’d even bet we hold a world record for the sheer volume of questions asked and answers given; (word count beyond human understanding) - non of which have made the slightest bit of difference as the wider aviation businesses, medium to light weight operations devolve into isolated cottage industries. Well all except for the huge, profitable ‘sausage factories’ that is; churning out ‘qualified’ clones of some scripted qualification regime which ensures all the boxes are ticked – nice and legal like. Which is fine until the airline HR model is hired and the cost of ‘training’ a clone to ‘do the job’ is passed on through exorbitant regional airfares. Why is this so? A question any reasonable man )yes, yes or woman( - Uhmm-  (human being) may ask. Phew.

Many believe it has to do with ‘the regulatory burden’. To a point, there is a case to answer on that score. The three decade endless ‘change’ has not, not by any measure, fiscal or operationally been a stellar success. Why is this so?

Well, we dragged P2 out of the deep basement shredder bins, brushed him off and retrieved his find; slightly mangled but nonetheless readable for all that. He toddles off to share his Choc Frog with his best mate (a rabbit he rescued – long story don’t ask) leaving us with the gubbins. 

“Senate standing order 23(4) also requires the committee to scrutinise each instrument to determine whether the attention of the Senate should be drawn to the instrument on the ground that it raises significant issues, or otherwise gives rise to issues that are likely to be of interest to the Senate”.

Agency engagement. 4.2 The committee is engaging with the relevant agencies via its secretariat to seek further information about potential scrutiny concerns raised by the instruments listed below.

> Terms of reference

> The committee's scrutiny principles are set out in Senate standing order 23(3) which requires the committee to scrutinise each instrument as to whether:

> (a) it is in accordance with its enabling Act and otherwise complies with all legislative requirements;

> (b) it appears to be supported by a constitutional head of legislative power and is otherwise constitutionally valid;

> © it makes rights, liberties, obligations or interests unduly dependent on insufficiently defined administrative powers;

> (d) those likely to be affected by the instrument were adequately consulted in relation to it;

> (g) the accompanying explanatory material provides sufficient information to gain a clear understanding of the instrument;

> (i) it unduly excludes, limits or fails to provide for independent review of decisions affecting rights, liberties, obligations or interests;

> (k) it complies with any other ground relating to the technical scrutiny of delegated legislation that the committee considers appropriate.

Blind Freddy (G’day mate) can see the potential here for serious questions to be asked by  ‘the committee secretariat’. But it all turns to worms when :-“Seeking advice from the agency” is the response of choice. Then, it all gets to be a little ‘circular’. For example:-

Aviation Transport Security Amendment (Security Controlled Airports) Regulations 2019 [F2019L01656]

Principle (h) privacy

>Civil Aviation Legislation Amendment (Parts 103, 105 and 131) Regulations 2019 [F2019L01621]
Principle (h) privacy

Principle (h) - reversal of evidential burden of proof. Consider the ridiculous proposition posed. In all ‘criminal’ cases (real ones) as defined, the burden of proof falls where? Mens Rea and all that – denied, without a whimper from the protectors of democracy? WTD. Then, they refer it back to the agency ‘for advice’. Gods spare me…

Principals’ (i) through (h) as they relate to CASA enforcement demand immediate attention and close scrutiny – followed by immediate bipartinsane repeal. Unconstitutional? – Just a bit. Should the Senate ever want to resolve and save the time and money an Inquiry costs – perhaps they could just consider the outrage they’d feel at being guilty – without hope of defence for a misdemeanour? Even a clerical error or anything else CASA choose to whip up into a case against; – presented in the AAT – without the rules of evidence the police must rely on to prosecute? Not bloody funny. And yet here we are again – “seeking advice from the agency”. “Did you rob the bank?” – “Oh no M’lud was two other fellah’s”.  “Fair enough – off you go then”.

Question without notice Madam Chair – What exactly do you expect in response to your question – “to the Agency”. I suggest you refer to the 9,000 odd answers provided by ‘the agency’ for a quick answer. It’s like watching a duckling Ping-Pong match. The committee Pings it to the agency – they Pong it back. No one even considering the travesty inflicted on the ‘rule of law’ – which by the way - Parliament enshrined in our democracy. Want to know why the aviation industry is hacked off and scared to speak out? See the explanation – above.

Chair – So Doctor Aleck, do you think it is reasonable to give Bloggs a criminal record, which will affect his future career for making an arithmetical error on the technical log?

Lost Marbles – “Oh yes Madam chair” – “Safety is our prime concern”.  “He may pay the fine and forget the matter entirely; but we will keep the offence on record and will use it as ‘background’ to prove him not able to be rehabilitated and to pad our ‘catch rate’ of these offenders, committing heinous crimes against my tricky one way rules.”

Aye, just when you thought here was a beacon of hope, you discover the Senate oversight of our civil liberties, under homemade law rely on the ‘advice’ of those who penned the law; now under Senate ‘scrutiny’. Brilliant; stellar, world class – how ducking spectacular.

No matter. The grandfather clock saga (serious stuff now). We have a cutting list (finally). These billets must be hand cut, according to my letter. I measured up with a 1900 vintage cabinet makers wooden ruler. Just for fun, TOM used the latest ‘laser’ measuring gizmo to compare. Beers were bet; I have half a fridge full now. 98% accuracy (half a thou) on 87% of measurements; no discernible difference in the remaining 13%. Not too shabby I’d say. Grandpapa's ruler had the right of it – carpenters are sundials – cabinet makers are Rolex.

But, do enjoy the workings of the Senate and your tax dollar while I slip through the orchard into a cool evening; no option, the dogs only wake up once the temperature drops “Out! – take me out” they bark. So I oblige ‘em – pretending it’s a lot of bother and trouble; but they know who woke ‘em from slumber. ‘Twas me and the biscuit tin. Shhhh!   

Selah.
There’s a kinda hush.

Seems “K” is a little off the mark regarding this new fangled approach to ‘scrutiny’ of legislative instruments. Not far wrong – but P2 and a small team are ‘having a deeper look’. In principal it is a great thing, the nuts and bolts of how it all works are quite new and it’ll take some time to sort it out.

“There is no act of treachery or mean-ness of which a political party is not capable; for in politics there is no honour”

Nevertheless; if there is an avenue which will question such things as ‘the criminal code’  as inflicted on aviation then this is, potentially - a good thing. If you can, talk to a Barrister or a senior Copper. Rape, murder, grand theft etc. among many others are deemed ‘criminal acts’. It’s deuced tricky stuff and the professionals (of both camps) fully understand the way the system works. But, and it is quite a large but; you cannot accuse anyone of a ‘criminal’ or even a civil ‘crime’ without some serious homework being done and an argument which is ‘legally’ demonstrable. Our justice system works fairly well – E&OE. Not perfect, but grounded in the rule of law.

Not many have done so – but they really should read the CASA enforcement manual. Few ever bother to read the ‘penalty’ clause under strict liability built into our Civil Aviation regulations. Not to the extent that they may one day need to defend themselves, their business, livelihood or professional reputation against a non defendable accusation – ‘in law’.

It is good to see a Senate committee charged with the oversight of ‘legislative instruments’. These ‘laws’ by-pass the parliamentary system and are as valid as anything parliament approves.

"I desired that the Senate of Rome might appear before me in one large chamber, and a modern representative, in counterview, in another. The first seemed to be an assembly of heroes and demi-gods; the other, a knot of pedlars, pick-pockets, highwaymen, and bullies."

It ain’t right; anything which can give you a ‘criminal’ record – particularly a record which convicts you of an offence against ‘aviation’ is a very serious blow to career advancement. I will leave it there – food for thought. This was, last I checked, a democracy which sanctified the word we live in and millions died to protect. Think on it for a while –

While you think – I’ll have an Ale, we can always talk later.
[Image: single-frothy-pint-beer-burning-600w-483277990.jpg]
(02-15-2020, 09:56 PM)Kharon Wrote: [ -> ][Image: SBG-16220-1024x725.jpg]

> Terms of reference

Principle (h) privacy

Principle (h) privacy

Selah.

P2 comment: Sorry "K" just thought you'd like to know what I have discovered in my latest foray through the APH cyber dustbins... Rolleyes 

To begin here is a link - HERE & or PDF version - for the committee report and recommendations that came out of their 2019 Senate Inquiry into 'Parliamentary Scrutiny of Delegated Legislation'.

Extract from the report:    

Quote:
Chair and Deputy Chair's foreword

A fundamental principle of parliamentary democracy is that the law should be made by the elected representatives of the people in Parliament. However, despite this, around half the law of the Commonwealth is delegated legislation; that is, law made by or on behalf of the executive government. Too little is known about the role delegated legislation plays in the Australian legal landscape. Parliament routinely delegates its law making powers to ministers, agency heads and senior public servants. While it is often necessary for Parliament to delegate these powers, as it doesn't always have the time or expertise to deal with the technical details underpinning the law, it is essential that Parliament scrutinise such legislation to guard against the inappropriate exercise of executive power.

The Senate Standing Committee on Regulations and Ordinances (the committee) has performed this role on behalf of the Parliament for almost 90 years. It is one of the oldest standing committees in the Australian Parliament and has spawned numerous similar parliamentary scrutiny committees across Australia and internationally. The committee has always adopted a non-partisan commitment to principles of technical scrutiny, setting aside party politics and policy considerations to focus on issues of general principle affecting the rights of people and Parliament.

While the committee has been one of the Commonwealth Parliament's most active and important committees, after almost 90 years of operation it is important to inquire into the committee's continuing effectiveness and future direction. The significant work of the committee can be undermined by a lack of understanding of the role Parliament plays in exercising control over delegated legislation and the essential role the committee plays. When the committee draws its concerns about delegated legislation to the Senate's attention it is high time that all parliamentarians and the government of the day listen to those concerns and take action to resolve them.

Part II of this report makes a number of recommendations to improve the committee's existing scrutiny practices – including updating its terms of reference, bringing its powers in line with other standing committees and updating and expanding the principles by which it scrutinises delegated legislation. Currently around three-quarters of the committee's comments fall under one of its scrutiny principles – whether delegated legislation 'is in accordance with the statute'. This general description does not indicate the vast range of matters the committee considers. Additional principles should be adopted to clarify the scope of the committee's existing scrutiny functions and to provide clearer guidance as to its role. Additionally, the committee's current approach to reporting to the Senate may not be the most effective way of highlighting its scrutiny concerns. The report therefore sets out a number of actions the committee will take to improve its work practices and highlight its important work.

Part III of the report considers the adequacy of the existing framework for parliamentary control and scrutiny of delegated legislation. Unlike many other parliaments, the Australian Parliament has considerable control over delegated legislation (through its power to veto, or disallow, legislative instruments made by the executive). Yet, in practice, it is difficult for parliamentarians to keep abreast of the hundreds of instruments tabled each year, and all too often significant matters of policy are left to be determined by delegated legislation (despite the warnings of the Senate Standing Committee for the Scrutiny of Bills). While the committee draws its technical scrutiny concerns about delegated legislation to the Senate's attention, there is no consistent scrutiny of its policy implications. Therefore, where delegated legislation gives rise to significant issues, policy committees should be notified and consider whether to conduct an inquiry into its policy merits.

In addition, parliamentary control over delegated legislation is undermined when delegated legislation is exempted from disallowance or sunsetting. It is particularly concerning when this exemption is itself provided for in delegated legislation. There should be strict limits on when delegated legislation can be exempted from disallowance or sunsetting, to ensure adequate parliamentary control. In addition, the law should be publicly available and understood before it comes into force. As a general rule, delegated legislation should commence 28 days after registration (rather than the day after registration), to allow people affected by the law to foresee the legal consequences of their actions.

As parliamentarians, we owe it to the Australian people to act independently, and to remove from the statute book delegated legislation which does not respect individual rights and liberties or the right of Parliament to control the content of the law. The committee will continue to maintain its non-partisan commitment to scrutinising delegated legislation on behalf of the Parliament. It is up to all parliamentarians and the government to ensure that significant matters are not left to be determined by delegated legislation, and to listen and act on the concerns raised by the committee.

You will note that under Part III the committee will now notify policy committees (ie Legislative committees) and/or the Senate when the SDL committee has significant concerns about certain pieces of delegated legislation/instruments. 

The first example of this was listed under 'Matters of Interest to the Senate' and in the latest DLM 2of 2020 and somewhat ironically involves the Senate RRAT Legislative Committee. The explanatory correspondence to the Chair Senator Susan McDonald can be read on page 1 HERE.

Under Part II of the report the committee has resolved to increase and improve the principles/terms of reference (see SBG above) for proper more effective scrutiny of delegated legislation. This is underpinned by newly minted reference guidelines for Ministerial departments and government agencies to refer to when responding to the committees identified concerns with a piece of delegated legislation.

This brings me back to the "K", understandably pessimistic, concern that the SDL committee is 'Seeking advice from the agency'??  Rolleyes  

In fact I have it from the Horse's mouth (ie the committee Secretariat) that the agency concerned (ie CASA) will be obliged to respond to the committee with a 'please explain' why it is necessary for there to be 'strict liability' provisions imposed on those particular CASR Parts (Parts 103, 105 and 131) and also the committee's concerns with the delegated legislation..

...unduly excluding, limiting or failing to provide for independent review of decisions affecting rights, liberties, obligations or interests...

...so this is what Dr Jonathon (I've lost my marbles) Aleck will actually have to respond to when addressing the committee's concerns

Reference - https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus...Guidelines

Quote:Guidelines on technical scrutiny principles

The committee examines the technical qualities of all instruments subject to disallowance, disapproval or affirmative resolution by the Senate, and assesses whether they comply with the committee's non-partisan scrutiny principles. The committee's scrutiny principles are set out in Senate standing order 23(3). These guidelines provide information on the committee's approach to applying its scrutiny principles, including:

MTF? - Yes much...P2  Tongue
The time has come,' the Walrus said,
      To talk of many things:
Of shoes — and ships — and sealing-wax —
      Of cabbages — and kings —
And why the sea is boiling hot —
      And whether pigs have wings.'

From the poem by Lewis Carroll, a poem basically about smoke and mirrors and deceit.

Of rights, privileges and the rule of law.

English law is said to be derived from the Magna Carta, medieval Latin for "The great charter of liberties."
It came about in 1215 in an attempt to curb the excesses of the crown by rebel barons.

Pope innocent 111 annulled it, but the concept of "Divine Rule" was continually challenged and the so called Magna Carta was re-issued in modified forms in 1216,1217,1225 and finally became part of statute law in 1297.

The Magna Carta was a bit of a political myth, its concept of of protecting ancient personal liberties was more about protecting the privileged aristocracy from the excesses of the crown, the ordinary people didn't really get a look in.

Never the less it remained a powerful iconic document even after most of it's content was repealed from statute books during the 19th and 20th century as the political elite gained ascendancy over the crown.

The fledgling republic in America drew on it to form their constitution.Their declaration of independence opens with;

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organising its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness."

Under British law, rights are called privileges conferred by the crown ie the political elite, but just who are the political elite?

In Australia, some of our laws were taken from the Americans, but mostly our bureaucracy is based on British law, refined into an art form. The term "Civil Servant" in UK refined into "Public servant", the Bureaucracy refined as the "public service" and lately the "Public Sector" the implication redefining its purpose not as a servant of the people but as an administrative arm of the political Elite.

In Australia there are no rights, there are only privileges conferred by the crown via the political elite, which may explain why Australia churns out vast volumes of statutes, because permissions must be granted for almost every facet of civil life, the concept of personal responsibility and freedom an anathema to our bureaucrats.

The rule of law fortunately or unfortunately is enshrined in our constitution and just as the Magna Carta was believed to be a brake on a rulers excesses our courts were supposed to act as a brake on the excesses of our political elite.

In recent times however even the good judges want into the act of control. They are required to impartially interpret the law and how it is applied, but are increasingly giving judgements of what they would personally like the law to be rather than what the lawmakers intended. This could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on which side of the fence you sit, notwithstanding it aint what our founding fathers intended.

The same could be said of our bureaucrats. We elect politicians to reflect the will of the people and federally the interests of the country as a whole and we expect appointed ministers to conduct that ethos, and direct their bureaucrats accordingly.

In the schoolyard battleground of politics unfortunately, our euphemistically described as managers must spend vast amounts of time and effort to score enough points to get re-elected. Some so much so that they leave it to the Mandarins to look after the miniature while they concentrate on digging knives out of their backs.

The mandarins in many cases are left to their own devises to get on with the business of government their way. If a minister wants to interfere they are easily distracted by confidential leaks providing political opponents the knives to stab with.

The public sector has grown fat on the publics largesse. Remuneration rivalling the private sector with all the perks still attached. As time has gone by the Mandarins now govern in their interests not the public's they are supposed to serve.

As we have seen so vividly in our aviation industry the mandarins are proving not very adept at managing.

For sure CASA is a Commonwealth owned Corporation not exactly part of the public sector but what have they actually achieved since incorporation?

The litany of failures is long and a national disgrace.

Its subversion of the rule of law a blight on our constitution.

Its deceit and bastardry an anathema to what Australia should stand for.
[Image: SBG-23220-e1582546094999.jpg]
Ref: Two GOLD STAR  choccy frog submissions & ScoMo/Mick Mack Govt pork barrels & rorts - Part III & https://www.aviation.govt.nz/about-us/wh...87-onwards & https://www.sbs.com.au/news/michael-mcco...n-victoria

Ignorance, Malice aforethought; or paranoia?

Unlikely as I am to defend CASA, one must examine ‘all of the evidence’ before arriving at a conclusion. Whether it was, as many suspect, played for, CASA is seriously on a rather large, sharp hook. "Hoist with his own petard". In short ‘they’ are held responsible, forced to find ways and means to shed that onus. Political paranoia, egocentric megalomania, greed and power have created a situation where they’re damned if they do and likewise if they don’t. Having spent decades and millions  to produce a truly dreadful regulatory suite, there is little chance CASA will admit to a complete disaster of their own making. This creates all manner of problems – and opportunities.; for those so inclined to use the ‘system’ as a personal empire.

[Image: 10017.jpg]

“Most people do not really want freedom, because freedom involves responsibility, and most people are frightened of responsibility.” ― Sigmund Freud, Civilization and Its Discontents

Now, if the serious student of matters aeronautical wanted to get right down to it, a couple of hours spent reading Paul (fearless) Phelan on Aviation Pro would become most educated in the way things are. Paul wrote the articles at a time of great upheaval and a serious push for real change – in real time. Nothing has changed for the better during the ensuing decade. In fact, it has all become a whole lot worse.

The next, in a long list of ‘Senate Inquires’ is due to begin; albeit at the pace of a crippled snail. I note submissions rolling in at about the same pace. There is one submission from Clinton McKenzie Esq. which (IMO) puts the whole charade into a nutshell; but. Big but; will anyone ‘new’ to, or unfamiliar with 'the game' understand the subtle nuances of that submission? It is neatly phrased, erudite and razor sharp- excellence in two pages. One needs a long history within aviation circles to use ‘the razor’ with that degree of finesse. I applaud and agree with the submission. But I wonder, how many others will ‘get it’?  

[Image: Morris-1986.jpg]
Ref: https://amroba.org.au/wp-content/uploads...Review.pdf

For thirty years; three full decades CASA have been wrangling with the ‘new’ regulation suite. One is inclined to wonder why?. Or; more to the point and the tax payers dollar how come the FAA and NZ CAA have managed to do it a whole lot better, at a quarter the cost, in one sixth of the time and have managed not to piss off a whole national industry.

[Image: Morris-1986-2.jpg]
Ref: http://proaviation.com.au/2014/04/29/mcc...s-opinion/

There is no tenable solution to the current unsustainable mess. Bar one:-

The Kiwi’s simply acknowledged this as a reality and started again. The ‘history’ of the NZ reformation is remarkable, an accolade to a nation with a ‘can-do’ attitude and a determination to make things work, as democratically and safely as possible. They actually set a new ‘best practice’ which most sensible nations are following. Australia got parts 61, 141 and 142 etc. QED? Where is aviation flourishing? Where is it moribund? – Say no more.

We could, as a nation, continue to throw millions and decades at a demonstrably failed system of ‘regulatory’ reform. The other day I made an error in measurement on a very, (very) expensive piece of wood; completely buggered it up. Did I try to fix it? No, I did not. It was less expensive to simply start again with new stock and get it right. My error, my expense.

[Image: 5810891.jpg]

“It is wrong and immoral to seek to escape the consequences of one's acts.” ― Mahatma Gandhi

So why, I ask honestly – do we even bother trying to justify the outrageous cost of the CASA homespun version of ‘aviation law’ when, for a few pennies more we could scrap the existing rule set; and, within two years (tops) have a viable, happy industry? It is not ‘mission impossible’. It simply takes real ministerial will to make it happen. For the sake of the benighted Australian tax payer I shall endeavour to explain how to end this endless, multi page impost and burden (half a billion {so far}ain’t pocket change).

Step 1. Make it that the NZ regulations will be adopted and come into force in two years time.

Step 2. Allow industry to produce a manual of compliance within a twelve month. This is not, not in any way a big thing. Freely available ‘clones’ of Kiwi manuals; templates or actual documents would become available – all approved by CAA. Hell, I could put up a link’ to several – 121, 125,135 and be happy to see ‘em used. Give CASA a twelve month to wade through and approve the manuals; Oh, yes it could be done.

Step 3. (the big one). Bring in some real expertise to CASA. You’d have to sack many of the existing lot of course. Allow a reform DAS to choose his own team, which could and would attract a different ‘breed’ to the fold. Practical, honest folk who would make it all happen – within 48 short months. Save a fortune and stem the slow bleeding.

The Senate is pissing into the wind trying to put Humpty-Dumpty back together again. CASA is a dismally failed experiment; a buggered up billet of timber; scrap it and move on.

[Image: Morris-1986-1.jpg]

How much longer can this nation tolerate the ever increasing costs; the unbelievable babble spouted in ‘black letter’ law and the no deference rues which prohibit natural justice. We simply cannot afford CASA and expect the light to medium weight aircraft industry to survive. It is an untenable position. Cut your losses, get over it and – for pities sake – let’s move on.

There is another Senate Committee currently ‘examining’ the underlying principals of some parts of the CASR brought into law without the benefit of parliamentary discussion. It is scrutiny of a complex regulation, power to disallow and enable may come from other sources, but that depends on the advice this committee will provide. We must hope they can see through the tangled web and come to the right conclusion and do away with a system which brings ‘advice’ (i.e. the MOS) under enforceable ‘law’ which is repugnant. Here, once again time, money, effort and industry sanity could be saved by simply acknowledging the total cock-up; and start again. Clever business folk cut their losses, and no one flogs a dead horse.

[Image: CASA_Regs_Vid.jpg]
Ref: http://www.australianflying.com.au/news/...m-in-video

I’m late this week, to be honest I forgot about it; the concentration required to make a thing with hand tools only is akin to flying a tough approach on a dark and stormy. Of course, striving for ‘perfection’ (with clumsy hands) demands a lot of attention, coffee and no distraction. P7 bowled up just as I was finishing off last evening; he pulled the Ales then he, the dogs and I just sat quietly looking at the piece just finished. Most satisfactory end to a day well spent – with something to show for it at the end of a fascinating days work.

Selah.
[Image: sbg1320.jpg]
Ref: https://www.msn.com/en-au/video/sport/de...p-BB10dIiG & https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...3#pid11103 & https://www.sbs.com.au/news/michael-mcco...n-victoria

Quatrains, rail trains and a certain sadness.

The following was learned as a boy:-

"Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;

Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;

Thy fate is the common fate of all,

Into each life some rain must fall”

[Image: 14613091.jpg]

There is an undeniable logic there. It always made sense, seemed reasoned and reasonable; but lately, that has been sorely tested. I ain’t what you may call the ‘despairing’ type. Not by a long shot – however. The mid-air crash and fatalities I can abide – it saddens me, it infuriates me and, it makes me wonder when some form of ‘sense’ is going to take a hand. But the train crash sickens me. Among my friends and acquaintance, there are two civil engineers with just a bit of experience in their world. Globe trotting problem solvers, independent, qualified and much in demand – nice blokes to boot. They say the ‘problems’ on that rail track were well known and documented, back when it was first built. Back then, the trains were lighter, slower and smaller. Even then, the ‘ballast’ was known to be limited – the ‘problems’ well documented by those who built it, even way back then. Countless governments have ignored the true, known problems; and, have allowed themselves to be persuaded that ‘quick’ cheap fixes will do the trick. More weight, more speed – increasing daily – travelling over the same, unresolved ‘problem’. Sound familiar?

The story typifies the modern approach to responsibility. Yet two families grieve for their lost ones. The best the responsible minister can offer is [“we would not allow operation on an unsafe track”] (paraphrased). Yet they did, for donkey’s years, despite many qualified warnings.

Then, we also had a mid-air collision which killed double the train wreck list; just a country mile from the train wreck. Did the minister and his entourage show up there in suitable costume? No? Then why not? The problems are the same – an unsafe operating environment – ignored and obfuscated by a series of transport ministers. “Your safety is our primary concern”. BOLLOCKS it is. Ducking responsibility is; giving a city swimming pool the money (10 Mill) which would have fixed the track; and, provided another ATCO or two which may have saved four more lives. Six dead in totally preventable accident? WTD are the politicians thinking?

“Give sorrow words; the grief that does not speak knits up the o-er wrought heart and bids it break.” ― William Shakespeare, Macbeth

Too damn true Will. We don’t (theoretically) pay billions to support a public service. We pay that money so that when a known ‘killer’ is able to be restrained, that good sense and clever use of public money will minimise, if not prevent, such avoidable accidents as we have witnessed this week or so. How ducking hard would it be for a miniscule to say – “get this fixed” before an accident happens on my watch?

[Image: 8288990-3x2-700x467.jpg]

[Image: cf_savings_canva-980x500-1.jpg]
Ref: https://www.theland.com.au/story/5889768...el-flight/

Aye well. It confounds and saddens me. But what really darkens my spirit is that the ‘good oil’ was there for all to see and nothing, by way of prevention was done – except a cronic, notable, responsibly off-load act of bastardy. Pilots of aircraft, boats and trains ain’t silly; nor are they unware of an increased risk factor. Forget the swimming pools, forget the gun clubs – fix the bloody mess repeated governments have left behind. WTH are these supposedly responsible people thinking about? 

[Image: images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSsN5wnSjyV_lpFlQUqi...rZjMTzDHuu]

“It is foolish to tear one’s hair in grief, as though sorrow would be made less by baldness.” ― Marcus Tullius Cicero

Wise words – but when so few glaring obscenities are addressed, by those elected to primarily ensure Australia has ‘the best’ and the power to make it happen – and then do SFA but talk and focus on re-election; well, baldness is fast becoming a preferred option. The siren’s song of life in a bubble, praying that nothing goes wrong lures the self serving and the inept to destruction on the rocks of their own making.

[Image: draper-ulysses_and_sirens.jpg]

The siren song is a promise to Odysseus of mantic truths; with a false promise that he will live to tell them, they sing,. Once he hears to his heart's content, sails on, a wiser man.

Solace comes in many forms; birds calling at sunset; flying foxes trudging their way to a feed into a twenty knot headwind, the dogs on a fox trail and loosing it (their faces priceless). The calm, quiet space of the stable and workshop – all balm. I’ve even managed to get some tricky joinery done – with only mistakes I can see. Not perfect, you understand, but then, what is in this world?– But as good as would be expected at the time – not an excuse you understand – but the very, very best I could do. That, IMO is all anyone can do – unless of course ………etc.

“Away to me dogs”. We will go a roving – So late into the night – The heart still beats as loving – and the moon be still as bright. (Byron ish?)…….

Selah.
[Image: sbg-8320.jpg]
Pic references: Essendon Airport report delays slammed & https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...2#pid11142 & Mildura flying school allegedly funded with embezzled Chinese loans & https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...0#pid11140

[Image: porkbarrel-e1583711256627.jpg]

“You are thought here to the most senseless and fit man for the job.” ― William Shakespeare, Much Ado About Nothing

I keep trying to find some of that human kindness stuff we’re all supposed to have while watching our purblind minister merrily dance and skip along the slippery road to infamy. I do try to keep an open mind; but, the unfortunate circumstance alibi is wearing awful thin. Too many coincidences are stacking up, there is quite a list; all there in the media to be wondered at. Lots of happy snaps taken at Essendon, Moorabin, Mildura, deals struck out of school, advisors as directors of Mildura, an unwarranted ILS – to mention just a few. When Marie Antoinette mentioned cake, it kicked of a small brouhaha; his boss Morrison has mentioned curry – I expect a similar reaction should the witless wandering Wagga boy mention his ‘advertorial’ for aviation. I’ve no idea who drafted the wretched thing – but a national problem could be rapidly solved if all printed versions were pulped and sold in suffermarkets – at least someone would gain some comfort from it. May even prevent a brawl or two – a bonus for public safety Eh - what?

[Image: Acting-Prime-Minister-Michael-McCormack-...424808.jpg]

“Indeed the safest road to Hell is the gradual one--the gentle slope, soft underfoot, without sudden turnings, without milestones, without signposts,...Your affectionate uncle, Screwtape.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

I hope many have read, considered and wondered (WTD) at the article published by the ABC featuring the debacle of the Mildura mega flight school – HERE -and joined the dots. I also hope that equally as many have read the condescending dribble in the ministers advertorial - HERE. The comparison between ‘reality’ and sugar coated faery tales, like SOAR and Mildura becomes imminently apparent. I will not bang on about the wholly preventable train tragedy or the ministers comments; others are much more capable of that – Glen Sterle for one. But non so eloquent as my old mate:-

Ref: https://www.advertiserlaketimes.com.au/s...k/?cs=6888
https://auntypru.com/sbg-15-09-19-weltschmerz/

Enough said – now we must switch to a genuine safety matter, one which impinges on expensive  ‘security’. Fences of all the mundane, trivial things. To wit, those which surround our aerodromes. There has been an indecent amount of money spent on ‘airport security’; some of it warranted, some of it so foolhardy as to beggar logic. Consider this; the ‘average’ regional airstrip is say 2000 meters; (give or take) Mildura 1947 meters. Add in the overrun areas and what have you, lets call it a 3000 meter long paddock. Any guesses as to how long the ‘security’ fence is; and, for a Choc Frog, the total length of fence required for the whole thing. The difference in length between that which is touted as ‘secure’ to that which is not secure is disproportionate – to say the very least. Anyone with intent, a drone or a rifle could toddle down the road a click, slip onto the aerodrome, tuck in behind a gable marker and be sure of creating havoc. Perimeter fence security is a joke outside the watched area, an impost and a cynical placebo. But worst of all, it does not guarantee safety - from a very real 'danger'.  

[Image: porkbarrel-1.jpg]
Ref: https://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/2014-1...or/5785578 & https://www.themercury.com.au/news/natio...0f7aa84085 & https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-03-07/m...s/12032616

Score card - Terrorists 0 – Roo’s 58.

ATSB - “It’s not only airborne animals that pose a threat to aircraft. In the decade from 2008 to 2017, the Australian Transport Safety Bureau recorded 396 strikes by non-flying wildlife, including 58 by kangaroos”.

Statistically – as the ATSB like to look at things – you’ve much more chance of winding up with a kangaroo on your meal tray than a SAM. Ask any pilot if they have had a close encounter with live or wild ‘stock’. If they haven’t then they’ll know someone who has. The dust covered cattle which pushed over a stock fence to graze; buffalo, camels, donkeys, horses, pigs and ground lice (sheep) – all a potential, very real safety threat. Millions allocated to 50 meters of ‘security – but for public safety for stock proof fencing? No, there bloody well ain’t. Oh, by the way, I’ve never yet seen an ASIC card prevent either event; just can’t see me scaring off a big male Roo or a determined evil doer with it. Aye;

[Image: GettyImages-154931759-2fede74894f6488d94...039156.jpg]

“The Play's the Thing, wherein I'll catch the conscience of the King.”

Dy’a know, I’ve never been to a BRB or IOS sit down where there was not some light hearted jibes or Mickey taking of the incumbent government; or groaning, grumbling and either side of the fence taking a pot shot at t’uther. Grim silence on the political pantomime these days. It’s actually quite a scary silence; the minister’ is never mentioned, which is a first.

No matter; the housing for the ‘box’ which contains the guts of the clock is finished. Today, with some reverence the assembly was mounted on its inner frame and the clock started. The effect was ‘magical’. The dogs ambled over, stretched out and watched the great pendulum swing in its orbit until they drifted off to dreamless sleep. Sat here, I can hear it measuring the rhythm of the world as she rotates past the planets. It really is quite wonderful. Now I have to make to outer skin, back and the doors – tomorrow will do for a start – Father Time is in no rush. Tried to slip out without waking the dogs – alas; off we go for our evening ramble.

Selah.
[Image: sbg-15320-1024x709.jpg]
Ref: Doc Gates: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...6#pid10686 & Godley Pg 13-14 & footnote 15 ; Aleck Pg 29 & footnote 41 https://parlinfo.aph.gov.au/parlInfo/dow...43/0000%22https://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Bus...56%2f27920 & https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...6#pid11156 & https://www.google.com/search?q=essendon...A3oECAoQBQ

Cry “Havoc!” and let slip the dogs of war,

That, just about sums up the BRB attitude and approach to the endless, mind numbing, circular rubbish being spouted by ‘the powers that be’. For example:--

1.42 Dr Jonathan Aleck, Executive Manager of Legal and Regulatory Affairs at CASA, laid out the objective of CASA's approach to this issue:-

'"..Our objective here is not to specifically address what caused those two accidents; it's to address what kinds of things can cause incidents and accidents of this kind. We're being prospective. If we were to wait for sufficiently robust data to support an evidence based decision for every individual decision we took in this space, we would have to wait for a dozen or more accidents to occur..."

And then, from the real (closet based) ATSB head honcho and puppet master this:-

“The ATSB stresses that raising awareness of safety issues is not dependent on the publication of an investigation’s final report,

Domestic fury and fierce civil strife
Shall cumber all the parts of Italy

Now, there is but a small difference between fury and general, run of the mill anger. It is the thing which prevents anger escalating into something more outré. But, I digress. Godley’s veiled threats and ‘telephone calls’ which seem to go hand in hand with any new investigation and the impending release of a carefully manicured report, which, along with the fatuous statement above have seriously rubbed some folk the wrong way. The last BRB being a fine example. The resolution passed (unanimously) was to find a way to drag every past employee of CASA and ATSB (Willy Nilly) in front of the next Senate Committee sitting. The purpose of course being to expose – from the inside out – why both operations are a failure.

Blood and destruction shall be so in use,
And dreadful objects so familiar,
That mothers shall but smile when they behold
Their infants quartered with the hands of war

I’m afraid, I stopped it – cold. ‘Twas an innocent enough question posed after the ‘sound and fury’ had ebbed.

“How?” said I.

“All pity choked with custom of fell deeds,
And Caesar’s spirit, ranging for revenge,”

Silence, followed by a few suggestions (including rope and wild horses).

“But, there are confidentiality agreements; non disclosure clauses, money and future prospects on the line, not to mention some fairly serious ‘legal’ arguments to resolve. All heavy duty. Even if the ex employees were named and called to give evidence – there would still need to be ‘specific’ questions only. Take it a step further and the ‘whistle-blower’ stuff becomes a factor and etc. Great idea boys and girls – BUT – practically it cannot be done. Unless those folks, these soon to be branded ‘disgruntled employee’s’ elect out of conscience to submit a ‘confidential’ report and are prepared, in camera, with parliamentary protection to provide the questions which must be asked and the answers. Even then, they take a great risk.

“That this foul deed shall smell above the earth”

A second option was discussed, ex managers of operations, Chief pilots, Hotac and the like: all with a story to tell. Would they dare speak up?

“With carrion men, groaning for burial.” - William Shakespeare: Julius Caesar
ACT III.SCENE I.

Same old problem surfaces – every time. Unless those responsible for ‘operational management’ are prepared to voluntarily present their problems – how can a committee be properly informed. IT WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Why? Easiology – fear. Almost every single, solitary person in the aviation industry, with a few notable exceptions, are too bloody scared to speak out. Understandable – you bet. Responsible – in the true sense – not really. So long as their little boat ain’t rocked – etc… But, it beats me – in the Pub they’ll rattle on about the stupidity and waste CASA inflict – then go to work and smile through the crap and; worse, ensure the troops comply. Gutless I call it – but then ………Time to change the subject methinks.

[Image: EOzXh6XUwAAfIhF?format=jpg&name=small]

Ref: ScoMo/Mick Mack Govt pork barrels & rorts - Part IV

[Image: Dwv6NAYUwAE-wR8.jpg]

Ref: https://auntypru.com/let-sleeping-dogs-l...ouse-them/

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...62#pid6462

But to what? Fatal accidents, aerodrome inhabitants being squeezed out, dodgy flying schools, buildings on runway safety areas. Training exercises which kill experienced blokes trying to comply, the endless shit fight the ‘new’ rules promote, the difficulties of obtaining and maintaining expensive qualifications which do sod all in the way of improvement. Aye, there is a very long list of things which could be and should have been sorted decades ago. But Hell, with the minister we’ve got and the top deck of CASA, it’s ‘bored’ and the ATSB in obsequious compliance, run by the Gods and wardrobe; ASA on a profit KPI driven mission – the big question for the day is – Is it the game worth the candle.

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...80#pid9980

Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...6#pid10156

[Image: SBG-2.jpg]

Enough – I’ve been offered AUD $80 per hour (base rate) to do basic building carpentry, with extra’s, time and half after six hours, home by 1600 every afternoon – Saturday morning extra at double time. Not interested – however it speaks volumes about how a profitable industry values ‘skill’ and is prepared to pay for it. When I add up ‘my expenses’ to hold my licenses, medical, subscriptions and the damned ASIC; I wonder if a simpler life, where I can’t be prosecuted for a clerical error would not be worth considering. Until I hear the siren call of a turbine winding up. A fool I am, but when you’re in love and a night sky beckons - well.

That’s this weeks ramble – I did manage, without tragedy, to make the outer frames and raised panels for the clock’s exterior; they look great (book matched) and polished. Now the doors and mouldings demand attention. The wooden moulding planes from the 1800’s demand a new skill set – sharpening the blades is a fascinating art form (managed with some coaching) making the moulding an exercise is pure logic, and ‘ripping’ them from the base stock demands some attention. Then, there’s the doors to make; flat, square, no twist and neat – they are, I’m informed, the first thing noticed. There are four bright, smiling amber eye’s peering over the top of my desk; four furry ears waiting for the final keystrokes, which they know will end this vainglorious Sunday twiddle. I shall oblige them. (A pause, ears twitch) then: Away dogs!

Selah.
[Image: sbg-22320-1024x725.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...9#pid11179 & https://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-08-03/u...th/8770360 & #SBG 19/01/20 – As the man with a wooden leg said;

A three card Monte.

Two Kings, and an Ace; (three shells and a pea) a game as old as the pyramids, countless penny's and halfpenny's handed over without a squawk – by the hapless. Sound familiar. Now the grifter may spend those pennies educating his kids; or, in a sound business investment – who knows – all you can really know is, he's got your hard earned. Many examples of this old game on display right now. In aviation, we have two Kings and an Ace working hard, all day, every day funding a purblind government. They are expert proponents of this legerdemain; and, they never, not ever loose a hand.

But, not to rush into details; let's take a look at the top row, the man who would be king – the ultimate wannabe – ie Our minister. The man who could, with a flick of a pen (sharp end down of course) remove all the street hustlers, gulling the willing, to the deepest basements of the shredder rooms. There to stand on their heads, in shredded intelligence, in perpetuity. For they deserve no better; but,I digress; they too must wait their turn.

The minister du joure is 'the man' we must first evaluate; after all he is ultimately responsible for the mess. An allowance has been made for it all being not of his own doing – however – he has had 'options'. For example: on the gold star/choc frog list he fired Campbell. Good move, well done. Then, in order to change feet, he opens his mouth and hires:-

Hitch - “Congratulations are due to Lea Vesic, who has moved from RAAus to the Department of Infrastructure and Transport as the minister's newest aviation adviser.

Warning - Serious question coming. Who in the seven hell's would hire a schoolgirl? Sat at the bar, earlier tonight, I could reach out and touch almost 400 collective years of aviation expertise. Not just flight hours – serious management and operational 'know how'. Tried and tested. Yet numb nuts hires a child with less operational and management experience than my stable cat. The question minister, considering SOAR and Mildura and other totally buggered up matters – What the Duck are you thinking with – porridge? How, please tell me, how can senior, experienced industry people possibly – in their wildest dreams, take this insulting hire seriously. (Shut up? Ok) then I rest my case M'lud.

Hitch - “She (who must be obeyed) has replace Steven Campbell, who has found a new home as the Government Relations Manager at Air-services”.

As they all do. There is a daisy chain of 'expendables' who routinely get farmed out onto the ASA budget (more on this in a while) – who eventually seem to find well paid jobs and go on to live happy, well fed lives after creating the devil's own mess and walking away; richer, secure, protected and well spoken of. It's a bollocks.

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.” ― Mark Twain

Small matters aside, we now need to take a serious look at 'safety' – which is 'every-man's concern (according to gospel of St Commode). Which brings me to the latest in a long, long line up of CASA cock-ups – of the safety kind. This week we have the great Bristel (not Bristol's) embarrassment. Gods alone know what the global aviation fraternity think of Australian 'expertise' now after this little how-de-do. You see minister, some aircraft are 'hard' to fly. Some aircraft had a 'risk assessment' done on the projected – expected use over their useful lifespan; forecast on 'averaged' use data. These LSA were never, not in their most ambitious design criteria designed to be hammered day in – day out by ham fisted trainee's. Consider that which CASA failed to do. In primus, the approved flight manual; all the information required is right there, 'legal and nice'.

Did CASA have the expertise to 'read' and translate that information? No; yet they supported these LSA to be operated in a training environment, without due or considered 'expert' opinion of the 'limitations' and warnings, honestly acknowledged by the manufactures. Then, to add insult to injury, they have no one who can evaluate the flight test data, the engineering data; or, even project the associated dangers. Would you minister give a young fellah a shot gun, a box of shells and tell him to go play with the traffic? Ducking idiot, fed by foolish, greedy, incompetent amateurs. No doubt the new 'adviser' with great aeronautical experience can put you straight, save lives and keep you out of the shit cart heading to Canberra.... Bwaw Haww Haw!

[Image: 47030.jpg]

“A member of Parliament to Disraeli: 'Sir, you will either die on the gallows or of some unspeakable disease.' That depends, Sir,' said Disraeli, 'whether I embrace your policies or your mistress.” ― Benjamin Disraeli

Item next on the ministerial agenda – ATSB and the international embarrassment stakes. On account of my using joined up writing; I'll pick two simple examples to illustrate a point.
(a) Virgin ATR and the auto ignition fiasco. (b) Virgin and the elevator pitch control debacle. These are both serious cases of 'safety' – troubling, symptomatic indicators of very much deeper problems. The ATSB is supposed to pick these up these 'hints' and recommend some kind of remedy. Of course, if they can't stop a large buildings on the runway colliding with aircraft – lest it offend the developers – then; no chance at all for 'operational analysis'. No doubt the 'new' child adviser will explain it all in lay terms – so you can grasp the danger (political) these chumps bring to your well cushioned posterior. Then you can 'safely' sack the front row of ATSB (those that gave us Tyabb) and start again using the State based outfits and save a bundle.

Ref: https://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/travel-tr...ng-landing & Update: ATSB PC accident investigation AO-2014-032

“When you're dealing with frauds and liars, listen more to what they don't say than what they do.” ― DaShanne Stokes

Item last:- Quick and simple. Airspace. This is a national infrastructure – not a 'for profit' organisation. Understaffed where it matters. Loaded with incredible debt. KPI focused;and, – if legend ever be proven true – ever so slightly corrupt. Our ATCO's are bloody good; world class – and worthy of a system which allows 'em to move traffic (save a bundle). Yet they live in straight jacket made of legal penalty and operational restriction with second world equipment; which, IMO, ties the dogs up at muster. Balmy? Oh you bet – just ask 'em. Never yet met a brainless ATCO; or one who wasn't dedicated. They work for love of the job – same as aircrew.

[Image: aviation-safety-fatcats.jpg]
Ref: https://auntypru.com/forum/showthread.ph...4#pid11174 & https://www.transparency.gov.au/annual-r...18-2019-23 & https://www.transparency.gov.au/annual-r...18-2019-66 & https://www.transparency.gov.au/annual-r...18-2019-86

But enough; I have this week been continually delighted learning new 'stuff' – 'cept 'tis old. At auction I bought a box full of 1800's 'moulding planes' all shapes, sizes and condition. The craftsmanship is astounding, these things have been working tools for between 150 and 200 years; hand made, to last. Most certainly they've had a lay off going back many years. But: a clean up and a sharpen; no kidding – almost brand new, within tolerance of the normal wear and tear of a working life. P7 remembers his father forbidding even picking up these planes. Now I know why. Whilst sharpening is an art form  a proficient carpenter may acquire with a little practice - 'setting' the iron to suit the wood is a whole different world. Once set – at your peril do you disturb that critical tolerance between a lovey even shaving and a pig's ear. I shall not allow children near mine; not now, having learned a small part of the 'art'. If that was all it would be enough – but. The 'selection' of the 'right' timber is, in itself a mystic process. Grain, knots, texture and feature all of some importance. P7 watched as I carefully made the first – declared it acceptable and said “now cut it off”. This is now a vertical cut of1200 mm, with little wriggle room; for once the mould is free of the stock – it must be planed 'true'. And so I stumble on – there are now two in the waste pile; but they will be the last – Inshallah.

[Image: Moulding-Planes-Keyframe-2-1024x576.jpg]

My bloody Ale has got warm – what's wrong with these idle hounds? HOI! One farted the other opened it's eyes and rolled over. But wait; I open the orchard gate, light an illicit smoke and; like magic – dogs to walk with. Glorious self isolation – long may it endure.

Selah – stay well.
[Image: sbg-29320.jpg]
Ref: Pg 44 - https://www.raa.asn.au/safety/accident-a...summaries/ & https://www.vision6.com.au/em/message/em...R-IHlhWLWs & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2018-066/ & https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/inv...-2019-071/

If, you go down to the woods today- etc.

Not a big surprise to stumble into P2; rootling about the metaphorical woods of 'research'. I was hot on trail of a mystery which has me intrigued, P2 was hunting down some 'strange and wonderful' things to do with the black arts of 'certification and the approval process for aircraft and their operations. Our paths crossed at exactly the the same junction; “Ullo” say's he, “What cheer” I replied. Seemed like a good time to take a break, have a cuppa and exchange information; a log each to sit on - “You first” say's P2. “What you doing cruising this neck of the woods. “Accidents and statistics” say's I – You? “Certification and stuff” he replied. Well, we compared notes, seems we were both hunting the same strange beast; but, from different directions. Your indulgence for a ramble is now required; we have not, as yet got this 'thing' properly lined up, some dots and dashes  are missing, but I will sketch the outline and fill in the facts once we have opinion from 'expert' sources. 

[Image: bannerrrr-1024x368-1.jpg]

To begin, I was curious about a 2017 RA Oz aircraft accident. RA Oz were to investigate the serious crash and present a 'report' to CASA; as it was one of their own. There were a couple of interesting questions begging answers, for which we awaited 'the report'. The first question being, where was the accident report? I did look long and hard – but nary a sign of that elusive document did I find. It may well be lurking in some festering pile or another – however, to those who may have an interest – it has not been, thus far located. From this puzzle, other important questions are raised, the first being a potential conflict of interest due to the RA Oz system having a clear commercial interest in keeping LSA on the front lines of training.

This naturally leads one to ponder a couple of salient points; for instance – accident statistics, in proportion to fleet size. ATSB are big on 'statistics' and when you get down to numbers and the 'type' of frequent LSA accident and serious injury, you have to wonder whether ATSB is 'frustrated' or complicit. There are several mentions on the ATSB web site of 'technical assistance' being provided to the RA Oz 'investigators, but no follow up reports. Then there are no 'identified; investigators mentioned which means the qualification and experience of those investigating cannot be readily and openly assessed. RA Oz most certainly do not provide a list of accredited investigators and they do not publish the results of the investigations. WTD?

"History shows that where ethics and economics come in conflict, victory is always with economics. Vested interests have never been known to have willingly divested themselves unless there was sufficient force to compel them."― Bhim Rao Ambedkar

That, standing alone is cause for real concern. Anyone operating an air-frame / engine LSA has a right to understand not only what caused the accident, the integrity of the investigation and, if needs be, the qualification of the IIC: if only for insurance purposes and coroners court. 

This rummaging around for information is where P2's and my own pathways met. I was concerned about the 'suitability for purpose' of the LSA fleet, the design philosophy and risk assessment, the various types of certification needed to meet different 'intended' operational criteria. Three areas of concern, in non technical language (i) air-frame structural life (fatigue) forecast based on intended (design) use: (ii) 'repair ability' and limitations on repeat repair: (iii) fit for intended purpose.

Much of this comes into the 'certification' of aircraft. An aircraft may be designed and 'certified' for a specific role and that role only. Much depends on whether the aircraft is to be used for 'commercial' purpose or private use or both. It is alarming to discover that RA Oz have the authority to 'certify' aircraft. Once again I find no published list and qualification of those who 'certify' the LSA, and how and to what purpose. The Bristell being an example – the mark and model 'certified' is the retractable undercarriage model; originally certified by the Brits for 'pleasure and leisure'. 

[Image: RAA-Bristell-cert-702x1024.jpg]

Ref: https://t.co/q1RfnE3VCA?amp=1 

P2 is working through that puzzle as the RA Oz aircraft is different – but the type certificate, issued by Israel has been 'accepted' by RA Oz. If one considers flight training as a commercial operation; then not only has there been an error in RA Oz certification, but in the intended use for which the aircraft was intended and originally certified.

By now, you're probably cow eyed with boredom; for this I apologise. However, even by the ATSB weird sisters accounting ledger and Jonathan (where's me marbles) Alec's peculiar circular arguments on accident research; one thing sticks out like the proverbial dog's whatsits. RA Oz in it's current format is 'wrong'. SOAR being the classic example. The minister has hired the RA Oz tea lady as an adviser; CASA won't get stuck in despite much more draconian action being taken for much lesser accident rates than RA Oz generate; ATSB cannot independently assess the crash reports – even the fatal ones; and, there's a bunch of kids out there (or was) teaching student pilots to fly in aircraft which were never designed to take flight school beating – year in – year out. Or was it?

MTF on this as we collect and collate 'expert' data – particularly on 'certification'. It's probably all kosher – but something, somewhere, is 'off'. I've said it before – I don't have a quarrel with private LSA, think its great for a person to buy an aircraft and go flying – no problem. But when you have large commercial operations, with a high accident rate using a LSA in a manner which was never envisioned or designed for – and no open publication of accident report – it sorta looks a bit 'odd' minister – don't it?

There ramble over; it helps to draft it, precursor to a Senate submission perhaps – we shall see. P2 and I will keep digging about while we wait on expert, qualified opinion. We seem to have the time to do it now. Amazing ain't it – dream of a life of idle luxury – every minute of every day spent as pleased you best, then it happens – Arrrggghhh!

Aye well the Devil makes work for idle hand – my clock awaits,

Stay well – Selah.

“and the lawyers have been at it with both hands.”

The boys are on a learning curve and its quite a journey. Will it change anything? Will the likes of SOAR have to reassess the 'suitability', integrity and fitness for purpose of the aircraft they use to train future pilots. I doubt it. Will CASA put the heavy boot of 'safety' down and return RA Oz to its proper design function? Will airworthiness step in before something comes apart in the air – fatigued beyond design intent?

Instructing a person to 'fly' a particular type of LSA is one very acceptable thing. Extending the notion to teach flying to many, using a fleet of LSA is an entirely different matter. Maximum fees for a tick-a-box service, minimum costs for provision of same in a high risk fleet. When used for design purpose,  (light sports and recreational)  LSA such as the Bristell will safely serve for the life of the aircraft, the accident survivabilty quotation seems to be robust. The question mark hangs over whether or not the aircraft can survive  long term the beating served up as a training aircraft, intensively used. Let me explain:-

Charlie buys a LSA and is taught to fly it by an experienced instructor – Off he goes to enjoy his sport and recreational flying, having been made very aware of the limitations and margins the aircraft has. In a normal situation, Charlie will perhaps practice one or even two 'forced landings' leading up to a check flight – low risk exercise – he understands the need for accurate speed control and is practised on type. Young Spotty on the other hand is a student with NDI. Sent Solo and maybe even to practice forced landings- or whatever. Engine fails or, more likely – during practice the aircraft is high and slow – in short, at the critical, minimum speed for landing 30 or 50 feet above the ground – it quits flying about then – crunch. When you have many such students practising similar exercises, in a speed critical, unforgiving, high risk aircraft the mathematical chances of a smash increase. This, even before you consider the fatigue life of an airframe being subjected to rough' handling day in day out. The percentage chances of accident increased, without doubt, the accident rates prove this. 

“K” - The first question being, where was the accident report? I did look long and hard – but nary a sign of that elusive document did I find. It may well be lurking in some festering pile or another –

We may safely identify that particular festering pile – the 'Privacy Act'. The current FOI request from AOPA is (IMO) an odds on bet to be knocked back. 'Enthusiastic' compliance with this 'Act' provides all manner of protection and to legally challenge that, particularly when ministerial support is a foregone conclusion, firmly closes the door on any chance of investigating the 'investigation'. Anyway, the 'book' is open on the AOPA FOI request; no doubt 'K' will set the odds shortly. Grr8 system though – RA Oz in breach of that Act, deemed illegal if they open the books. Wow! How good a defence is that?.

“K” - Much of this comes into the 'certification' of aircraft. An aircraft may be designed and 'certified' for a specific role and that role only. Much depends on whether the aircraft is to be used for 'commercial' purpose or private use or both.

Ah, yes but: “manufacturer” certification is the name of the game, particularly for LSA. Its a game of thrones and once again, the terrifying 'legal' costs involved to nail down a departed manufacturer will serve those avoiding responsibility for certification. Of course CASA is at the bottom of this pile of nonsense, but anyone with a spare million or two could probably win the verdict – which would change absolutely nothing. When next the Monday comes around the same crew will be seen washing their hands at the trough of plenty. 

IMO “K” there is no hope of sanity. Not while the minister appears to be happily held in thrall by the glamour and seductive advertorials which allow self promotion. Hearing 'advice' which will not burst his happy bubble. I wish you well on the quest and I doubt not that you fellahs' will plumb the depths of this 'wrong thing'. But then what? I can't see this current village idiot, posing as a well informed minister, caring about ensuring flight training is properly conducted in aircraft suitable for the purpose. Can you....?

“The powers of Evil can take many forms. Remember that, Sir Henry, when you're at Baskerville Hall. Do as the legend tells and avoid the moor when the forces of darkness are exalted.” 

Handing over -.-.  .-.  .-  –..    -.--
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26